PDA

View Full Version : Caldwell could face a LOOOONG (or all too brief) season

nunya
08-31-2008, 12:56 AM
Not sure if there was a single Caldwell reception and certainly none that counted, pass defense (what's that?), and the offense dropped two easy TD passes and failed to score after penetrating three times. And don't get anyone started on talking about the PAT or junior high level field goal attempt.

I foresee a 1-8 season or 2-7 at best. Fire up, Rudder. This could well be your school's first ever victory to celebrate in your trophy case.

On a brighter note though, I agree with one poster's perspective about how closer the game could have been played at least a month later, but that's football.

I lost count of penalties. It was honestly like witnessing a season opening seventh grade game years ago when a player picked up the ball and ran in the wrong direction and started a stud dance in the wrong end zone until he realized the commotion in the stands wasn't congratulatory but rather laughter on both sides. (Picture the movie "Carrie" when she hallucinated everyone pointing fingers at her as images rotating around her pig's blood-stained dress and her mother repeating "There all gonna laugh at you, there all gonna laugh at you."

As for Bellville, it's by far the best Brahma team I've seen since the win over Marlin in Bryan several years ago. District foes better be afraid..... very afraid.

Bellville's 5 TD's to 0 scrimmage "win" over 4A Brenham was quite easy to understand. And Brenham opened with a win Friday over Katy Mayde Creek.

Old Tiger
08-31-2008, 12:58 AM
You graduated a huge senior class...its the first game of the season....no worries from me. Should be a great district race!

IHStangFan
08-31-2008, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
You graduated a huge senior class...its the first game of the season....no worries from me. Should be a great district race! do you EVER sleep?

Old Tiger
08-31-2008, 01:04 AM
about to ;)

IHStangFan
08-31-2008, 01:06 AM
LOL, me too...although, I had a nice nap today already.

Bull's-eye
08-31-2008, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by nunya
Bellville's 5 TD's to 0 scrimmage "win" over 4A Brenham was quite easy to understand. And Brenham opened with a win Friday over Katy Mayde Creek.

Brenham lost that game 17-10. I think the P.A. announcer had the score reversed.

nunya
08-31-2008, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Brenham lost that game 17-10. I think the P.A. announcer had the score reversed.

Hmm, maybe he's a KBTX alum. If you don't know a score, by Gawd, just make one up.

King_LeYoeNidas
08-31-2008, 10:48 AM
sweet so when Cameron is beating Caldwell @ half by 42 points I'll be able to leave at halftime lololol

nunya
08-31-2008, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by King_LeYoeNidas
sweet so when Cameron is beating Caldwell @ half by 42 points I'll be able to leave at halftime lololol

Don't flatter yourself too much. Cameron is no Bellville this year. That game actually should be a close one. Bellville is THAT talented.

A Celina-Bellville matchup is not that far-fetched in the end.

King_LeYoeNidas
08-31-2008, 10:53 AM
Don't flatter yourself too much. Cameron is no Bellville this year. That game actually should be a close one. Bellville is THAT talented.

A Celina-Bellville matchup is not that far-fetched in the end.

Cameron apparently has an offense that scores on big plays. I don't expect long drives so unless Caldwell has a d, which you say they don't, it could be a route. Believe me, it's not about flattering my team.

nunya
08-31-2008, 10:56 AM
Cameron apparently has an offense that scores on big plays. I don't expect long drives so unless Caldwell has a d, which you say they don't, it could be a route. Believe me, it's not about flattering my team.

With Cameron, isn't it always?

King_LeYoeNidas
08-31-2008, 11:05 AM
if anyone would know it's the citizens as of Caldwell who's Hornets have fallen time and time again. Last few years? Yes probably. Years past, no. We pounded the ball down your throats. And by the looks of this new running back who's only a sophomore, those days appear to be upon us again soon.

nunya
08-31-2008, 11:11 AM
if anyone would know it's the citizens as of Caldwell who's Hornets have fallen time and time again. Last few years? Yes probably. Years past, no. We pounded the ball down your throats. And by the looks of this new running back who's only a sophomore, those days appear to be upon us again soon.

Maybe if you're still living in the 1980's.
At least 70 percent of the games with Cameron in the past decade have been decided by within two TD's or less.

Toby York is gone.

87 TIGER
08-31-2008, 11:20 AM
Maybe if you're still living in the 1980's.
At least 70 percent of the games with Cameron in the past decade have been decided by within two TD's or less.

Toby York is gone. Not sure if he know who Coach York is.... I think he's a little young

King_LeYoeNidas
08-31-2008, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by 87 TIGER
Not sure if he know who Coach York is.... I think he's a little young

Yes that would explain me playing in 96 & 97. Let's see.....96 we went 4 rounds deep, pretty much demolishing everyone in our way.......97 two rounds deep. Though not quite as many blowouts, we left no doubt. Both of those years were ground and pound. Fast forward to the Pittman years. Billy had a great supporting cast to go along with his own talent. When I say quick strike, I mean the last 3-4 years. Prior to that though, sorry. You both fail.

nunya
08-31-2008, 12:53 PM
Look dude, I never said Cameron had a weak program, ok? It's obvious Caldwell's success history pales in comparison, mainly because for YEARS we couldn't find a coach to commit to more than 2-3 years because better offers and better pay surfaced elsewhere. The coaching has been the issue all along, People just accepted mediocrity under Goforth in the 80's and when he built a home there, there was no question he was sticking around like it or not, and CISD loved paying beans just like they do now. There's never any financial incentives.

Whining parents chased away at least two coaches in the past 15 years, possibly three but the jury's still out on that. One coach was gone after one season after being successful in Rosebud in the 90's. Cobia was a good fit in Caldwell and the parents blew it and no doubt Taylor will repay a favor or two under him.

This year, there are several coaching changes and the players are trying to fill holes on defense to compound the situation.

At least we don't have any Hempsteads and Somervilles on the schedule any more so fans and players are aware there exists better competition beyond 50 miles.

If this years's players realize what to work on, start catching passes and quit throwing fits to draw ridiculous penalties in the danger zone, they could be 80 percent as good as last year. Woolverton, only a junior, is simiilar to Mike Stone from the 90's and now athletes of all races are welcomed into the program and yes, that counts too.

Scrimmaging 2A's Lexington and New Waverly didn't do the team favors either, considering Bellville scrimmaged Brenham (4A) and Needville (nearly 4A). You have to practice against depth at least once to prepare and to PLAY against depth.

If you were to put Caldwell's top backs on a mile relay team, they'd be Austin-bound. But you have to play with fury and I haven't seen any of that on this team at least yet. Fury and aggression is what gave Caldwell its top 3A defense three years ago.

It also helped that players used to read this board and got motivated to prove folks wrong. Now they're prohibited from it so this has become nothing more than entertainment for Caldwell insted of a motivator.

As for Cameron, its talent is still there but it needs continuity like in the 80's. Recent Yoemen teams would lose by 20 or more points to any of their teams from the 80s. They seemed invincible then, but not so much now.

ProudHornetMom
08-31-2008, 01:08 PM
Not sure if there was a single Caldwell reception and certainly none that counted, pass defense (what's that?), and the offense dropped two easy TD passes and failed to score after penetrating three times. And don't get anyone started on talking about the PAT or junior high level field goal attempt.

I foresee a 1-8 season or 2-7 at best. Fire up, Rudder. This could well be your school's first ever victory to celebrate in your trophy case.

On a brighter note though, I agree with one poster's perspective about how closer the game could have been played at least a month later, but that's football.

I lost count of penalties. It was honestly like witnessing a season opening seventh grade game years ago when a player picked up the ball and ran in the wrong direction and started a stud dance in the wrong end zone until he realized the commotion in the stands wasn't congratulatory but rather laughter on both sides. (Picture the movie "Carrie" when she hallucinated everyone pointing fingers at her as images rotating around her pig's blood-stained dress and her mother repeating "There all gonna laugh at you, there all gonna laugh at you."

As for Bellville, it's by far the best Brahma team I've seen since the win over Marlin in Bryan several years ago. District foes better be afraid..... very afraid.

Don't give up on us yet after one game. There's not a kid on the team that intentionly tried to lose. They will make the necessary adjustments.

King_LeYoeNidas
08-31-2008, 01:20 PM
Look dude, I never said Cameron had a weak program, ok? It's obvious Caldwell's success history pales in comparison, mainly because for YEARS we couldn't find a coach to commit to more than 2-3 years because better offers and better pay surfaced elsewhere. The coaching has been the issue all along, People just accepted mediocrity under Goforth in the 80's and when he built a home there, there was no question he was sticking around like it or not, and CISD loved paying beans just like they do now. There's never any financial incentives.

Whining parents chased away at least two coaches in the past 15 years, possibly three but the jury's still out on that. One coach was gone after one season after being successful in Rosebud in the 90's. Cobia was a good fit in Caldwell and the parents blew it and no doubt Taylor will repay a favor or two under him.

This year, there are several coaching changes and the players are trying to fill holes on defense to compound the situation.

At least we don't have any Hempsteads and Somervilles on the schedule any more so fans and players are aware there exists better competition beyond 50 miles.

If this years's players realize what to work on, start catching passes and quit throwing fits to draw ridiculous penalties in the danger zone, they could be 80 percent as good as last year. Woolverton, only a junior, is simiilar to Mike Stone from the 90's and now athletes of all races are welcomed into the program and yes, that counts too.

Scrimmaging 2A's Lexington and New Waverly didn't do the team favors either, considering Bellville scrimmaged Brenham (4A) and Needville (nearly 4A). You have to practice against depth at least once to prepare and to PLAY against depth.

If you were to put Caldwell's top backs on a mile relay team, they'd be Austin-bound. But you have to play with fury and I haven't seen any of that on this team at least yet. Fury and aggression is what gave Caldwell its top 3A defense three years ago.

It also helped that players used to read this board and got motivated to prove folks wrong. Now they're prohibited from it so this has become nothing more than entertainment for Caldwell insted of a motivator.

As for Cameron, its talent is still there but it needs continuity like in the 80's. Recent Yoemen teams would lose by 20 or more points to any of their teams from the 80s. They seemed invincible then, but not so much now.

Hard to say. Athletes have evolved and I think guys are faster now and trained better physically but the tools of discipline aren't what they used to be. Be an interesting matchup but when you have a team that focuses on long drives vs. one that can score in 3-6 plays who knows how it'd turn out.

ProudHornetMom
08-31-2008, 01:43 PM
Don't get me started on the 80 years of favorite players and bigotry. I could tell you story after story. We have very bitter fellings about that time.

Are you talking about Henry or Stillwell in the 90's? Both were good coaches and Caldwell suffered from them leaving.

This year, there are several coaching changes and the players are trying to fill holes on defense to compound the situation. Collins has been trying to get into the Bryan system for years and there were parent issues in baseball, Sherman went to Conroe (wife refused to live in Caldwell, she wanted a 5A position) and Previte left for somewhere near Beaumont. The new coaches are Glosson from Wylie, Luna from Franklin and Smisek from San Antonio. All are a good fit for Williams' program.

Agree

Don't give up on the team just yet. Don't be like Caldwell fans of the past who gave up quickly, dogged the team and the coaches...I don't think you will. ;) I personally think that Woolverton is better than Stone because of his toughness along with his speed. Several had to change positions for the year and also for the week. Our starting quick tackle was out with a concussion so our defensive tackle was playing both ways. The kicking was bad, period. They will have to make major changes.

Scrimmaging 2A's Lexington and New Waverly didn't do the team favors either, considering Bellville scrimmaged Brenham (4A) and Needville (nearly 4A). You have to practice against depth at least once to prepare and to PLAY against depth..
Agree

[BIf you were to put Caldwell's top backs on a mile relay team, they'd be Austin-bound. But you have to play with fury and I haven't seen any of that on this team at least yet. Fury and aggression is what gave Caldwell its top 3A defense three years ago.[/B]
I think we may now see the fury or at least more aggression after this loss to Bellville. When you look at the film and see all the little mistakes of a mistep here and there, dropped passes, lack of kicking, etc, it causes embarrassment and fury. You'll see a change. And this was the first varsity exposure for many of the kids.

I've been around Hornet Football since the early 80's. I think we have the best coaching staff who work very hard with their program....but it still comes down to the kids executing each play. I think they will come around. I'm not giving up on the kids or the coaches yet.

If you can, come watch the film at 6:30 in the CHS Library. It's tough to re-watch a loss but it is insightful as to why and to hear how the coaches will make the changes.

IHStangFan
08-31-2008, 01:57 PM
Hard to say. Athletes have evolved and I think guys are faster now and trained better physically but the tools of discipline aren't what they used to be. Be an interesting matchup but when you have a team that focuses on long drives vs. one that can score in 3-6 plays who knows how it'd turn out. Athletes today are better than athletes of yesteryear? Is that your point...boy don't let the likes of Nolan Ryan, or Earl Campbell hear you say that.

King_LeYoeNidas
08-31-2008, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
Athletes today are better than athletes of yesteryear? Is that your point...boy don't let the likes of Nolan Ryan, or Earl Campbell hear you say that.

high school for the most part, yes.

Put your average running back from back then against one of today. Speed wise, guys these days are incredible and they are getting faster. Linemen are bigger and stronger. Seeing a lineman bench over 315 used to be a rarity. Now it's a normal thing for "average sized" tight ends.

Old Tiger
08-31-2008, 02:08 PM
On NCAA Lee Corso told me that tight ends used to get recruited for blocking and now days if you can't catch the ball you won't get recruited.

IHStangFan
08-31-2008, 02:12 PM
high school for the most part, yes.

Put your average running back from back then against one of today. Speed wise, guys these days are incredible and they are getting faster. Linemen are bigger and stronger. Seeing a lineman bench over 315 used to be a rarity. Now it's a normal thing for "average sized" tight ends. Not to be an a-hole, but I'm about to blast your theory out of the water....Here are some State Track Records...

100m - 10.13 (also a Natl Rcrd) - Derrick Florence of Galveston Ball - 1986.

200m - 20.13 (also a Natl Rcrd) - Roy Martin of Dallas Roosevelt - 1985

I could go on and on....as a matter of fact the only record to be set in the last 5 years was in the 3200m.

Old Tiger
08-31-2008, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
Not to be an a-hole, but I'm about to blast your theory out of the water....Here are some State Track Records...

100m - 10.13 (also a Natl Rcrd) - Derrick Florence of Galveston Ball - 1986.

200m - 20.13 (also a Natl Rcrd) - Roy Martin of Dallas Roosevelt - 1985

I could go on and on....as a matter of fact the only record to be set in the last 5 years was in the 3200m. Track isn't football :p

IHStangFan
08-31-2008, 02:20 PM
Track isn't football :p the point here is kids today are NOT any faster than kids of yesteryear. But you know that, you're just trying to stir the pot. Again, not surprised. :)

nunya
08-31-2008, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by ProudHornetMom
Don't get me started on the 80 years of favorite players and bigotry. I could tell you story after story. We have very bitter fellings about that time.

Are you talking about Henry or Stillwell in the 90's? Both were good coaches and Caldwell suffered from them leaving.

Collins has been trying to get into the Bryan system for years and there were parent issues in baseball, Sherman went to Conroe (wife refused to live in Caldwell, she wanted a 5A position) and Previte left for somewhere near Beaumont. The new coaches are Glosson from Wylie, Luna from Franklin and Smisek from San Antonio. All are a good fit for Williams' program.

Agree

Don't give up on the team just yet. Don't be like Caldwell fans of the past who gave up quickly, dogged the team and the coaches...I don't think you will. ;) I personally think that Woolverton is better than Stone because of his toughness along with his speed. Several had to change positions for the year and also for the week. Our starting quick tackle was out with a concussion so our defensive tackle was playing both ways. The kicking was bad, period. They will have to make major changes.

Agree

I think we may now see the fury or at least more aggression after this loss to Bellville. When you look at the film and see all the little mistakes of a mistep here and there, dropped passes, lack of kicking, etc, it causes embarrassment and fury. You'll see a change. And this was the first varsity exposure for many of the kids.

I've been around Hornet Football since the early 80's. I think we have the best coaching staff who work very hard with their program....but it still comes down to the kids executing each play. I think they will come around. I'm not giving up on the kids or the coaches yet.

If you can, come watch the film at 6:30 in the CHS Library. It's tough to re-watch a loss but it is insightful as to why and to hear how the coaches will make the changes.

It's nice to see that someone knows her football. I'm impressed. I agree with what "should" happen in terms of firing up the team. I do feel that Bellville could go the distance.

It's crazy when you think that if we had got the field goal and caught that wide open TD pass, and scored on that long punt return with a little better blocking, and Bellville hadn't had that last TD taken back, the score would have ended 51-31.

I do think Bellville is 14-20 points better than the Hornets, but certainly not 30. The Bull offense is good enough to score on every drive this year if it watches miscues and has the talent to eat up the clock against ranked opponents.

There shouldn't be an empty seat at The Pasture vs. Navasota in a couple weeks. A perfect DQ Game of the Week.

Speaking of Collins, that is one coach who TRULY put his heart into coaching for all sports. Bryan is very lucky. He would provide feedback about Caldwell athletics as if he was raised there. Pretty rare.

About kicking, you hit the nail on the head on that one. Blocked punts allowed at least 14 points so that would have made it even closer. But again, Bellville is definitely the more seasoned team. Later in the year, it would have been more like a 38-24 game. What if, what if, what if... Seems a Caldwell tradition :-)

Good luck on Friday. Shepherd lost to a new 4A program by only 14 so they'll be competitive, but Caldwell should win by at least 10. They better because Waco Connally is a half-notch below Bellville.

navscanmaster
08-31-2008, 03:10 PM

I do think Bellville is 14-20 points better than the Hornets, but certainly not 30. The Bull offense is good enough to score on every drive this year if it watches miscues and has the talent to eat up the clock against ranked opponents.

There shouldn't be an empty seat at The Pasture vs. Navasota in a couple weeks. A perfect DQ Game of the Week.

Uhhhmmm. That game is in Navasota.

King_LeYoeNidas
08-31-2008, 03:13 PM
Track isn't football :p
bingo

IHStangFan
08-31-2008, 03:16 PM
bingo so...in your theory of kids today being bigger and stronger...it ONLY applies to football huh? So just football players have gotten faster? Not track runners, or basketball players? Just football players....interesting. Please explain to me how/why you can justify that, or your entire theory for that matter.