PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Division 1 Softball

Phil C
05-22-2003, 01:34 PM
The NCAA Division 1 Softball National Championship Tournament for 2003 is underway. Arizona is top ranked but hat its' hands full beating Alabama 3 to 2 this morning. Right now Washington is playing Oklahoma and later Texas is playing Louisiana-Lafayette and then California is playing UCLA. These are all great teams and anything could happen. I know most of us are busy with high school baseball and softball right now but if time permits some of the games that are being played through Memorial Day Monday might be worth watching.

Phil C
05-22-2003, 03:13 PM
I just found out that Washington scored two runs in the 7th inning to beat Oklahoma 3 - 1. The games are very good and the competition is outstanding. Even with one loss the losers today still have a chance to win it all.

pirate4state
05-22-2003, 08:40 PM
UT advances past Lafayette in a pitchers duel, 3-2. Hook 'em Horns! :)

Old Cardinal
05-23-2003, 07:36 AM
I enjoyed watching UT vs Lafayette!...TEXAS has six players from Coach Jim's, Katy Cruisers, National Champion Select team. On the other hand, Lafayette is very good and VERY young. Look for then to be a dominate force in the future. The pitcher for Lafayette, from Pasadena Dobie, did a good job, to have had an injured arm;... and of course Cat O., is becoming a legend for Texas U.... Bryant for Lafayette, at 2nd base is a product of the Beaumont Blast program...Holly Tankersley, from Kirbyville HS, (and the Beaumont Blast), with her 70+ mph fastball is signed with them, for next year. I just heard that the girls 18 & U playing for Lafayette have asked Robert Verde, one of the great Coaches of the Beaumont Blast program- to Coach them in the Select team off season. What a compliment! Verde also is a "$1 per year" volunteer Head Coach for the Kelly Catholic HS in Beaumont, and they do real well. That ole boy, has forgotten more Softball than most of the Texas HS Coaches will ever know.... Last year I watched 140, are so, teams- go for the National Champions in Select team play at the Nationals in Beaumont. The 18 & u Lafayette College Girls came in second,to a great composite team from southern California. Both 1st and 2nd place teams were using the Mike Epstein rotary bat swing, and that appeared to be the factor that made both teams prevail over a great field of hand-picked players.

<small>[ May 23, 2003, 07:39 AM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Phil C
05-23-2003, 08:27 AM
Late last night California scored four runs in the tenth inning to beat UCLA 7 - 3. Errors were the deciding factor. Today on ESPN Arizona plays Washington and Texas plays California.

Old Cardinal
05-23-2003, 09:40 PM
Well Cat Osterman struck out 17 California batters and gave U. of Texas a 1-0 win, so they want have to fight through the losers bracket. That gives them a very good chance.

pirate4state
05-26-2003, 12:02 AM
http://fp.funfiles.plus.com/anim_emoticons/nodding_no_in_a_panic.gif NO, NO, NO...UT loses in the bottom of the 7th to UCLA!! Cat pitched such a great game for 6 innings & UCLA's seniors finally adjusted & got the 2 runs they needed to defeat the Lady Horns. Gotta give credit to the UCLA pitcher she kept the Horns from getting a hold of anything, plus she had a little help from the ump wink ... who was all over the place with his strike zone. Don't want to dwell on that since the horns never adjusted to him. :mad: (BIG SIGH) maybe next year! :)

Phil C
05-27-2003, 10:27 AM
It was a horrible way to lose Pirate but be encouraged. It was a great positive series overall and any of the 8 teams were capable of winning it all considering all of the one point games. Texas will have its' pitcher back next week as well as most of the players since they are only losing two seniors and they are still basically a very young team and should be back next year a year older and more experienced. Cat is only a sophomore and has two more years. They will need to replace their second base and catcher positions. Hopefully they will do well in recruiting. If Texas can get those positions filled next year and maybe get two more good batters they should have a great chance next year. This can only be positive for Texas softball.

Old Cardinal
05-27-2003, 10:55 AM
Phil C: Texas has no problem about recruiting, they have the Katy Cruiser Select team program as a feeder. They also fill the difference with the top picks from about 400+ 18&u & 16&u from the Greater Houston area "A" team phenomenon...I always take notice, when I see a girl scholarship that is not from that geographic area....Yes, Cat O. is really setting the example; but Anderson(California) and K. Carroll from UCLA looked good this season, also. Boy the skill level in HS and College teams has improved in the last decade since the Select teams have awesome Coaches and the better girls average playing 80 games per year, outside the little brief HS Softball program. Its kind of fun to go to any Select Team Nationals, and see the large contingency of College Scouts camping out at the games! Even school like McNeese University, are fielding very skilled teams; because there are so many top-flight trained Select team players available...I really admire the HS Coaches that are now, volunteering their time Coaching some of the younger Select teams across the State.

Phil C
05-27-2003, 11:28 AM
I totally agree Old. And those picthers at California and UCLA are great! It is remarkable how they both held up so well. That is why I said Texas needs to recrut a few more good batters next year and maybe a good relief pitcher to relieve Cat when needed. Future in softball in Texas looks bright.

Jimbotex40
05-27-2003, 02:00 PM
congrats to Ucla

Old Cardinal
05-27-2003, 02:10 PM
Did you notice, even Alabama had Texas players on their squad....It appears the giant rise in popularity of Girls Softball really began in parts of Texas and California. When the School Superintendents displayed years of passive resistance to Title IX, the outcome has been a surge of support for the Select team phenomenon now sweeping the Country....My Grandaughter will be pitching in the National 12 & u tournament in Panama City FL, for the Beaumont Blast, Red Team... As a 10 year old two years ago, in the National Tournament, she pitched one game that was no runs, no hits, no errors, and NO WALKS. Ole Paw Paw is proud, if I told you her delivery speed as a 12 year old, you would not believe it.