PDA

View Full Version : Gobblers vs Trojans

44INAROW
08-29-2008, 01:39 PM
Beeville-Cuero clash to serve as early barometer for teams

BY MIKE FORMAN - MFORMAN@VICAD.COM
August 28, 2008 - 11:00 p.m.

So much for easy openers.

Beeville and Cuero have high hopes for the season and it won’t take them long to find out where they stand when they meet today at 7:30 p.m. at Cuero’s Gobbler Stadium.

“We feel like this is certainly one of the toughest games on our schedule,” Cuero coach Mark Reeve said. “You’ve got a 4A team that went to the quarterfinals and a 3A team that went to the semifinals. Both schools have good tradition and both schools have good players.”

The Gobblers come into the season ranked No. 6 in The Associated Press’ Class 3A poll and will be trying to extend a 24-game winning streak on their home field.

The Trojans gave Lake Travis its toughest test en route to the Class 4A, Division II state championship and have been ranked in a number of preseason polls.

“Every year we’ve got a different team,” Beeville coach Chris Soza said. “Last year was a very special group of kids. We’re playing a very good, well-coached football team. This will allow us to see where we are at this time of the year. It’s a starting point for us. When you play good teams, you learn a lot from those teams.”

The success enjoyed by Beeville and Cuero is due in a large part to their signal callers.

Beeville senior Eric Soza is a four-year starter, who passed for 2,872 yards and 29 touchdowns and rushed for 269 yards and six touchdowns last season and also punted for a 37.8-yard average.

“He’s a four-year starter who’s got a lot of confidence and confidence goes a long way,” Reeve said. “He does a good job and throws the ball well. They really run two completely different offenses. I’m not sure which one he feels the most comfortable with, but he’s done a good job of running both of them.”

Cuero junior Tyler Arndt passed for 2,507 yards and 23 touchdowns with only three interceptions in his first season as a starter and punted for a 36.1-yard average.

“The kid is big and tall and an excellent quarterback and a lot has to do with his surrounding cast,” Chris Soza said. “They’re a different type of ballclub than we are. They’re so big and we’re itty bitty. Last year, both quarterbacks had excellent years. But you’re only as good as your supporting casts.”

The Trojans and Gobblers are hoping they’re good enough to continue the success of last season and they’ll get an early indication from each other.

“I don’t think anybody knows completely, but we feel good going in,” Reeve said. “This is a good bunch of kids. They have a lot of character and they’ve always hung out together. They play hard and we feel good about where we are as far as conditioning, we’re probably better off there than we have been.”

“This is a stepping stone for us,” Soza said. “We want to improve every week and we’re still finding pieces of the puzzle. We’re trying to find out who the players are and we’re looking to execute in our base offense and base defense.”

NOTES: The game will be broadcast on KTKO, 105.1 FM in Beeville and KBAR, 100.9 FM in Victoria.
Link (http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/894/story/307624.html)

Go Mean Green - Rip the Trojans :D

piratebg
08-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Great Read. :)

Johnny Utah
08-29-2008, 01:51 PM
Itty Bitty! Nice! I will use this term.....get ready for some atrickeration!!!

44INAROW
08-29-2008, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Itty Bitty! Nice! I will use this term.....get ready for some atrickeration!!!

so you think they'll be bringing a "bag of tricks"? Should be a good game.. Hope the Gobblers come out on top;)

pirate4state
08-29-2008, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
so you think they'll be bringing a "bag of tricks"? Should be a good game.. Hope the Gobblers come out on top;) maybe one or two ;)

Nursebetty
08-29-2008, 03:42 PM
GO MEAN GREEN..........We're READY for the Trojans!!!!!!!!!!

gobbler grad
08-29-2008, 04:08 PM
the sub-varsity had a few tricks last night...should expect the same tonight...:thinking:

Gobblers will be ready...just 3 more hours...:2thumbsup

as Wild Gobbler would say..."GO MEAN GREEN"

KingRob
08-29-2008, 04:54 PM
Let's go Gobblers! I'm going to try and stay up, but I gotta work in the morning.

LET'S GO CUERO!!
:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

Dogs_21
08-29-2008, 05:25 PM
sounds like a good one!!!!