PDA

View Full Version : Bandera/Bellville Predictions

Bellville22
12-11-2002, 06:48 PM
Alright, I think we've heard enough from both sides to know what to expect from each team come Saturday. Weather looks pretty good, shouldn't be a factor. It's time to start throwing out some numbers.

From what I've heard, and read about Bandera (By the way FormerBB, you can search Bandera High on yahoo and go to their page for scores), sounds like they're more than capable of putting some points on the board. Looking at their past scores, they've put up atleast 30-35 just about every week. I know they have a solid QB and aren't afraid to chunk the seed. Apparently they compliment the passing game very well w/ a bowling ball in the backfield. Both of these weapons worry me a bit, because we haven't really shown we can consistantly stop either, although we did defend the pass fairly well last week. Bandera's D has given up quite a few points throughout the year, and I don't think that will change Saturday.

Bellville's offense probably ranks among the best in the state, they are very versitile, probably the most versitile Bandera has seen since Burnet. The defense has really stepped up the past two weeks. To hold Marlin, arguably the most athletic team in the state, to 17 points, and make the plays to win in OT was amazing. They seem to be improving weekly, and they'll have yet another test this week, against a big power runner and a talented QB. Like I said, I don't think we've been great against either, so hopefully we can prove something this week.

As for my prediction, I don't think either offense will have a problem putting 20 points on the board. I don't expect another defensive struggle (I know Marlin was high scoring, but to hold either of those teams to 17 in regulation is a good D effort), this may turn in to quite a shootout. I'm gonna stick w/ my boys, ride a hot defense who's stepped up every week, and count on the offense to continue making big plays when we need them. Gobert runs for 140 this game, Bellville plays for a State Title.

Bellville 34
Bandera 28

Bellville22
12-11-2002, 06:52 PM
Brahma73, I expect to hear from you tonight, you called me out last week on Tuesday already. Ya Ya, sounds like y'all have got a lot of spirit down there in Bandera, I think that's great, it should be a great game, love to hear your prediction as well.

eagles_11
12-11-2002, 07:08 PM
bellville 31 bandera 14

therealbulldogs
12-11-2002, 10:18 PM
I know that for one Bandera has a huge grudge going into this game. They know that they would of won last year if it were not for Brett going down in the first round againt Carrizo Springs. I know that is last year and all, but it will come into play in a big way for Bandera. Heep had over 100 yards last year against Bellville in which I'm sure they had a better defense then than they do now. Bandera WILL come out on top.

Gobbla2001
12-12-2002, 12:32 AM
Hicks is a very good QB... I had a chance to see him play PI in Victoria, he has a very good arm and always looks calm and relaxed... HE has a good supporting cast, their defense is okay but will be tested by Bellville big time, but I'm not sure how Bellville's D will do, the Bulldogs have a pretty balanced attack, passing and running (passing for sure)... It'll be close...

Jacket2000
12-12-2002, 12:40 AM
Bellville 38
Bandera 14
J2K

big daddy russ
12-12-2002, 02:19 AM
You know what I like about this game? This is a classic example of two teams who are peaking at the appropriate time. Both are getting better by the week and I don't think we've seen either team hit their peak just yet.
I heard John Salley say the other day on "The Best Damn Sports Show Period" that he learned more from winning than he ever did from losing.
It's good to have a small taste of losing so you know what it feels like, but with the quality wins both of these programs have been picking up their confidence and ability to work together have to be vastly better than they were, say, week five.

SintonFan
12-12-2002, 03:25 AM
This game will be better than many think. If Bellville has a passing game to compliment their power running, they are gonna be hard to stop from any perspective. Just like Bandera, those Bellville folks 'grow them big' hehe. I know Bandera has a nice passing game as they've picked it up in the playoffs. Like some of you have said, both teams are peaking. And teams do peak. Now Bandera's defense has shown some weakness toward a good passing attack and if Bellville is the same toward running (was Elgin and Marlin more run? I'm not sure.), this IS a classic matchup. I hate to pick against a region four team...
Bellville 28-21

Note... Bellville IS almost a region four team, JFL... :)

<small>[ December 12, 2002, 02:26 AM: Message edited by: SintonFan ]</small>

BULLDOGFAN
12-12-2002, 07:20 AM
Well, I don't know a whole lot about Bellville but I do know Bandera is in a real good groove right now. It seems like being the underdog has been a huge psycological advantage to us and having some unfinished business with Bellville from last year should make this a crazy game.

Bandera's greatest asset is you never know who is going to have the big game. We have so many offensive weapons that the opposing team just can't cover every angle.

Hicks and Heep have been awesome leaders on offense and have no problem with anybody who happens to have the touch get the glory for the week. Feilds, Groomer, Caza, and Sells have led the Defense and have stepped up huge notches and did exactly what needed to be done on defense.

Special teams have been on a roll, from wrecking balls blowing people away on kickoffs, to huge returns on punts and kickoffs.

The confidence and poise is outstanding. They don't panic and just seem to really be enjoying the ride.

Should be a Helluva game. Grrrr...

Old Cardinal
12-12-2002, 01:02 PM
Will this game be on a webcast anywhere? I could not find it listed on Texas Sports Radio Network, like the Everman/Burnet game is. I am so proud of BOTH of these teams- to have survived in the playoffs against some prtty good odds.

Bellville22
12-12-2002, 01:59 PM
BULLDOGFAN: Bellville packs that quality asset as well, anyone could step up on any week.

All year, through district, we rode our horse in the backfield, Gobert. He piled up yards and TDs almost every single week. A small injury late in the year though seemed to bother him a bit, and hasn't put up quite the same numbers since, granted we've been playing very good defenses, as you always do in the playoffs. He's still a very good runner, capable of blowin' up any week. He's also stepped up HUGE at Defensive End, in my opinion, his play there against Fairfield is the reason we're still here. The next weapon who seems to come through every week is QB Buenger. He's a pint sized kid, w/ a quart of talent, and a gallon of heart. He tried to force the ball the first PO game against Giddings, but since then, has made excellent decisions, and been on a roll. Great arm, great leader, and excellent poise. When the offense has to have a score, he seems to be unstopable, and wills his troops down the field. Next on the list is WR Goeke. Great speed and improving hands, this kid has made tremendous catches week in and week out. Oh yea, he's not a bad kicker either. Talk about waiting til the right time to peak, that's RB Bryant, my boy Jobow. Saw limited carries during the year, then blew up for 200 plus against Giddings, and has had key runs every week. Nice change up in the backfield to compliment Gobert, plus he's a pretty good slot reciever. TE Ford had huge catches last week, including a tying TD over a defender in OT. Probably the best hands on the team, ex-QB understands the game, good route-runner, great ball control reciever. The list could go on, I haven't mentioned WR Sanders, RB Runnels, or AK. They're all weapons, each unique, each effective against a different style of D.

As for the defense, other than Gobert's late stretch of plays against Fairfield, there's no one kid who really stands out, which is just the way I like it, this group plays as a team, and makes plays together. They've got the job done each week, highlighted by a brilliant performance last week against a loaded Marlin offense. This group bends but rarely breaks, and although they can scare me at times, they always seem to get the job done.

Should be a classic showdown Saturday. I think turnovers, as they often do, will play the biggest part in this game. Good Luck.

Bellville22
12-12-2002, 09:01 PM
Let's hear it Brahma73.

Brahma73
12-12-2002, 11:12 PM
Bellville22:
Let's hear it Brahma73.Alright, don't get pushy. Every week I get a little more uneasy about these games. The Marlin game I actually saw as one we could win, with difficulty. I saw them play and we matched with their strengths fairly equally, with the only real difference being our cool, average-speed, excellent mind QB vs. their very athletic, but less game-minded QB. Advantage BHS - Victory BHS. Strictly luck I predicted OT. :rolleyes:

This week the match-ups are different. Both QB's apparently bring the same talents, with Bandera's maybe being a better running threat. Big difference to me will be defense. Don't know any facts, but my gut tells me we'll bend again, but keep 'em in check. Should be a moderate scoring affair, and barring turnovers, I think we're better. With a few reservations due to the unknown entity: the next Bulldogs we'll play (what's with all the "Bulldogs" in the play-offs?) my prediction is:

Bellville 40
Marlin 21
(Only 4 quarters this time wink )

Light 'em up Jess B.!! wink

Rock On Bulls! :mad:

Bellville22
12-13-2002, 12:33 PM
He meant Bandera. It's late, give him a break.

Brahma73
12-13-2002, 05:25 PM
Brahma73:

Bellville22:
Let's hear it Brahma73.Alright, don't get pushy. Every week I get a little more uneasy about these games. The Marlin game I actually saw as one we could win, with difficulty. I saw them play and we matched with their strengths fairly equally, with the only real difference being our cool, average-speed, excellent mind QB vs. their very athletic, but less game-minded QB. Advantage BHS - Victory BHS. Strictly luck I predicted OT. :rolleyes:

This week the match-ups are different. Both QB's apparently bring the same talents, with Bandera's maybe being a better running threat. Big difference to me will be defense. Don't know any facts, but my gut tells me we'll bend again, but keep 'em in check. Should be a moderate scoring affair, and barring turnovers, I think we're better. With a few reservations due to the unknown entity: the next Bulldogs we'll play (what's with all the "Bulldogs" in the play-offs?) my prediction is:

Bellville 40
Marlin 21
(Only 4 quarters this time wink )

Light 'em up Jess B.!! wink

Rock On Bulls! :mad: Hey 22, thanks for cathing my faux pas. Obviously I meant Bandera. But tell me, why is it when I make a prediction like that I get this eerie feelin' inside that we could just as easily get rocked?! eek! Somebody please tell me we're gonna play smart, take care of the ball, etc. :)

One at a time, BULLS :mad: :mad:

BurnetDawg
12-13-2002, 05:39 PM
bandera all the way baby but yall will have to fight for it.....we will have to fight for state too.....it would be awsome to have both winners from our district......did yall know that we (burnet)have played like 5 teams called the bulldogs this year thats weird well go bandera keep your head in the game and dont get tired even if u go to overtime yall can do it burnets behind ya!!!!!!! :)

Bandera YaYa
12-13-2002, 05:43 PM
Thanks, all you guys, for predicting that Bellville will win....that's just how we want to be thought of....as the underdog....it's worked for us so far!!! So, keep talking!!!!

BULLDOGFAN
12-13-2002, 06:15 PM
That weird feeling is you buying me wings Brahma. And yes Bandera loves being the underDOG cause it is the only way for a real DOG to go into the game. Grrrr.

burnetplayer94
12-13-2002, 06:58 PM
I am pulling for you Bandera! Take it all the way to state!!!

topdawg
12-13-2002, 07:17 PM
im not really sure whos going to win this one but im pulling for bandera, iv only seen them play burnet and they have a really good running back, he runs hard and is very very hard to bring down, i think if he can run the way he has all season and there defense plays there best bandera will come out on top.

Brahma73
12-13-2002, 07:20 PM
BULLDOGFAN:
That weird feeling is you buying me wings Brahma. And yes Bandera loves being the underDOG cause it is the only way for a real DOG to go into the game. Grrrr.Hot and spicy or mild. Just so we don't get confused whoever gets to buy! :D

Good luck Saturday - oh, that's tomorrow! WOW!! Ought to be a great one and the weather sounds perfect for our 2 QB's to shine. Got a feelin' this one won't be low scoring!

Bellville22
12-14-2002, 10:08 AM
Could anyone else not sleep last night. I woke up about 10 times, finally gave up at 7:30 and got up.

This is gonna be a lot of fun! I can already tell I like you guys from Bandera, hasn't been a lick of trash talk all week, and y'all are as supportive as I've seen all year. This will be two classy, talented, big-hearted teams going at it today. Best of luck to both.