PDA

View Full Version : Softball Recruiting Trips

hookandladder
08-28-2008, 07:12 AM
We have a sophmore player that will be making her first recruiting visit to LSU this weekend, a full weekend of touring the LSU campus and also tickets to the LSU Football game Saturday night. Just curious if anyone else in our area has been offered a recruiting trip. Personally I am very impressed and happy to see LSU offer, not a bad place to go to school if offer a scholarship. Some great people and fans.

3afan
08-28-2008, 07:41 AM
a sophomore going on a recruting trip? uhhm, isnt that a violation?

(serious question by the way ......)

Silverback 04
08-28-2008, 08:15 AM
It must be an unofficial visit. The rule on unofficial visits goes something like this: Unofficial visit- Any visit by you and your parents to a college campus paid for by you or your parents. The only expense you may receive from the college is three complimentary admissions to a home athletics contest. You may make as many unofficial visits as you like and may take those visits at any time. The only time you cannot talk with a coach during an unofficial visit is during a dead period.

Additionally, I think a college coach cannot call you as a sopomore, regardless of the sport. However, the athelete can call the coach.

Reds fan
08-28-2008, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Silverback 04
It must be an unofficial visit. The rule on unofficial visits goes something like this: Unofficial visit- Any visit by you and your parents to a college campus paid for by you or your parents. The only expense you may receive from the college is three complimentary admissions to a home athletics contest. You may make as many unofficial visits as you like and may take those visits at any time. The only time you cannot talk with a coach during an unofficial visit is during a dead period.

Additionally, I think a college coach cannot call you as a sopomore, regardless of the sport. However, the athelete can call the coach.

I do believe you are correct Silverback04. The athlete can call but if coach does not pick up, he or she cannot return the call. The rules change a little each year, I believe the texting rules were changed some this past year.

Good luck to this young recruit, hope she has a great time and gets to compare a lot of different schools before making a decision!

The big schools are looking at kids earlier and earlier, unofficial freshmen visits are now the norm. These unofficial visits are usually a result of travel coaches or parents contacting the schools a player has shown an interest in visiting.