PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer/Jasper write-up

lostaussie
08-27-2008, 02:12 PM
I got this from smoaky.com

Buckeyes face Jasper in rematch of 2004 championship game

By: Joe Dodd

The Gilmer Buckeyes kick-off the 2008 season Thursday night against Jasper in the opening game of the Trinity Mother Frances Football Classic in a game billed as the re-match of the 2004 Class 3A Division II State Championship game.

The only similarity to that game according to both Gilmer head coach Jeff Traylor and Jasper head coach Thomas Brooks, is the name of the two teams playing.

"None of these kids played, but they did go to the game,” said Brooks. “They know about Gilmer and they know about the program that they have. So I don't have to tell them about the tradition that they have, their winning percentage, or how many times they've been to the playoffs; the kids know about them.”

It's hard not to know about Gilmer, who won that first meeting between the two schools 49-47, on their way to their first state title. The Buckeyes have gone 34-4 since the last meeting against the Bulldogs, including another trip to the state championship game.

“Every time they play somebody, it's a big ball game for their opponent,” stated Brooks. “And I think they know that. That's why they have to be ready to play every week.”

Jasper hasn't enjoyed the same success as Gilmer since 2004, going 16-17 the past three seasons. But that doesn't intimidate the Bulldogs. “That's one thing I can tell you,” Brooks said. “Our kids never back down from a challenge, and they're excited about playing Gilmer.”

“Thomas Brooks has had this game circled for a long time,” confirmed Traylor. “He's won everywhere he has gone. His kids a very well coached and disciplined.” Brooks left John Tyler after the 2006 season to return to Jasper, where he was head coach from 2000 to 2001. “He's going back to Tyler where he coached. He told me that they've really worked hard for this game. I know he wants to look good.”

Brooks is excited about his return to the rose city. “I always enjoyed playing at Rose Stadium,” Brooks said. “It's a great place, great atmosphere.”

Brooks does have one concern about his return to Tyler. “We played in the Classic every year that I was there so I got a chance to watch Gilmer play. It seemed like every time they played someone in the Classic, they blew them out, so I'm worried about that.”

The Buckeyes have averaged 55 points in four Classic appearances and have won each game by an average margin of 39 points. But Traylor said that is unlikely to happen again, for one reason. “We lost ten starters on offense,” explained Traylor.

But the one starter returning is junior quarterback Stump Godfrey, who threw for 2,727 yards and 38 touchdowns and ran for another 617 yards and 13 touchdowns last season. That makes Godfrey the target for the Bulldogs. 'We're going to have to contain the quarterback,” said Brooks. “If he has a great night against us, I think that's not going to be good. I think we'll be in trouble.”

Brooks also admits that Jasper's returning junior quarterback Dominique Bailey is the focus of the Bulldog's offense. “It's no secret that we're going to ride him as far as he can take us,” stated Brooks. Last season Bailey (5' 8”, 175) accounted for 1,025 yards passing and 1,125 yards rushing while scoring 34 touchdowns to be named district 21-3A's offensive newcomer of the year.

“He didn't start until about the fifth ball game for us, and we rode him to the playoffs,” said Brooks. “He wants the ball in his hands; that's why he's playing quarterback.”

Jasper operates out of the spread offense like Gilmer. “Very similar to us, but more ground oriented,” Traylor said. “They're going to run their quarterback and their tailback. Their receivers are extremely fast; they can stretch the field on you. They have legitimately four or five kids that when they touch it they can score.”

Jasper returns five starters on an offense that averaged almost 33 points per game last season. Defensively, the Bulldogs are even more experienced with eight returning starters. “Our middle linebacker (Dante Rollins, 6', 230) had 150 tackles last year and our weak-side linebacker (Alton Bronson, 5' 10”, 200) had over 100 tackles last year, so those guys have a lot of experience,” said Brooks. “They've seen just about everything.”

Traylor is concerned with the Bulldogs' returning starters. “Early in the year that's a huge advantage,” confirmed Traylor. “They have all of those players back; significant players back.”

Brooks said Jasper's experience advantage will only last a few games. “I'm glad that we get to play them first because they're only going to get better and better,” stated Brooks. “I wouldn't want to play them the fourth or fifth ball game. I'm just glad we're playing them the first. I think we can give them a good ball game. That's what I'm hoping.”

If pre-season scrimmages are any indication, the Bulldogs should give the Buckeyes plenty of problems. Jasper outscored Port Neches-Groves 5-1 in touchdowns and Nederland 29-22 in a simulated game. Both teams made the playoffs in class 4A last season.

The Buckeyes also looked good in their two scrimmages against Atlanta and New Boston, but Traylor warned his team to not compare those two teams to the Bulldogs. “Jasper is a lot better than Atlanta or New Boston,” Traylor said.

The Buckeyes' Boss confided on what it will take to win this ball game. “It will come down to two things; turnovers, and which team is conditioned the best, will win the game,” Traylor stated.

Jasper's Brooks agreed with Traylor and added his reason for agreeing to the game. “Whether we win or lose, we're going to be a better team for doing this because we could have played someone that is not very good and easily won, but that wouldn't have helped us.”

Traylor said the match-up has the potential to be memorable. “I think this will be a game that when you leave you're going to say, 'man I was glad I was at that game.”

NOTES
Gilmer has a 24 game regular season winning streak (last loss: 26-17 @ Daingerfield Sep. 30, 2005) Gilmer has a 6 game opening game winning streak (last loss: 20-14 Gladewater 2001) Gilmer has a 4 game winning streak in the TMF Football Classic Jeff Traylor is 85-15 at Gilmer Jeff Traylor is 7-1 in opening games Jeff Traylor is 6-2 in games played at TMF Rose Stadium Gilmer is 54-1 in their last 55 regular season games Gilmer's Stump Godfrey needs 53 total yards to pass Tommy Palmer for 7th place in school history Gilmer's Stump Godfrey needs 147 total yards to pass G.J. Kinne for 6th place in school history

Necks_Fan
08-27-2008, 02:16 PM
Lol. Gilmer has a Qb named "Stump"?

He sounds legit though.... I think that was 51 TD's.

pirate4state
08-27-2008, 02:23 PM
good read!

from another thread...posted by me:

Good Luck Buckeyes....remember "p4s <3 the buckeyes" haha....at least that's what lostaussie printed on the back of my buckeye shirt ;)

AggiesAreWe
08-27-2008, 02:32 PM
There are a few mistakes in that article. Jasper QB Bailey will be a senior this year, not a junior and he was co-newcomer of the year, along with Silsbee soph. QB Jeremy Johnson. Also, Nederland did not make the playoffs last year as it was PNG, Lumberton, and Dayton out of that district.

lostaussie
08-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
good read!

from another thread...posted by me:

Good Luck Buckeyes....remember "p4s <3 the buckeyes" haha....at least that's what lostaussie printed on the back of my buckeye shirt ;) you should wear it to the game!!!!!
I wonder if Hopster ever wore his................maybe he should break it out for the season opener:D

pirate4state
08-27-2008, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
you should wear it to the game!!!!! :( i won't be at this game, but i may wear at home while i'm watching the Cowboys & listening to the radio broadcast and/or waiting on text updates

lostaussie
08-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:( i won't be at this game, but i may wear at home while i'm watching the Cowboys & listening to the radio broadcast and/or waiting on text updates you need updates from me, because i can provide. I got a feeling i may not like them though!!!!

pirate4state
08-27-2008, 03:20 PM
you need updates from me, because i can provide. I got a feeling i may not like them though!!!! :eek: :eek: ya don't say? :thinking: we'll see & yes, please send me updates, b/c G2 will have cheese all over his fingers & won't be able to keep me posted! :rolleyes: :D

lostaussie
08-27-2008, 03:22 PM
he will probably be close by. he tends to like to sit by my kind:D

pirate4state
08-27-2008, 03:24 PM
he will probably be close by. he tends to like to sit by my kind:D up in the nose bleed section to survey everything .... he's such a weenie ... you tell him i said so! :D

j_dog
08-27-2008, 04:54 PM
p4s, cannot believe you will not be at the game!

here is a link where you can listen:

http://news.mywebpal.com/index.cfm?pnpid=974

The game time has been changed from 8:00 to 7:30 p.m.

DU_stud04
08-27-2008, 04:59 PM
you need updates from me, because i can provide. I got a feeling i may not like them though!!!! send me some updates as well :D

j_dog
08-27-2008, 06:38 PM
you need updates from me, because i can provide. I got a feeling i may not like them though!!!!
I may not like them either. There is so much talent on each team, there is no telling how this will go. But I am primed to find out. :)

Hupernikomen
08-27-2008, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by AggiesAreWe
There are a few mistakes in that article. Jasper QB Bailey will be a senior this year, not a junior and he was co-newcomer of the year, along with Silsbee soph. QB Jeremy Johnson. Also, Nederland did not make the playoffs last year as it was PNG, Lumberton, and Dayton out of that district.

Bailey is a junior.

j_dog
08-27-2008, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
Bailey is a junior.
No longer. He took summer school courses and made up his deficits. :( But it will be best for him. He is now on schedule to graduate this year with his class and get on with his life.

D1 schools out there, are you paying attention? :)

Hupernikomen
08-27-2008, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
No longer. He took summer school courses and made up his deficits. :( But it will be best for him. He is now on schedule to graduate this year with his class and get on with his life.

D1 schools out there, are you paying attention? :)

That is awesome for him. I had no idea. Says alot about his character doesn't it...

j_dog
08-27-2008, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
That is awesome for him. I had no idea. Says alot about his character doesn't it...
You can read all about it here:

http://www.jaspernewsboy.com/news/2008/0827/sports/050.html

Coach Brooks had told me this summer that Dominique had taken the classes to become a senior. Watch fast guys, because we only have him for a few more months.

JR2004
08-27-2008, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Lol. Gilmer has a Qb named "Stump"?

Just now finding out about this kid?

SNYDER325TIGERS
08-27-2008, 11:35 PM
Wasn't there a guy named Darian Godfrey? Exuse the spelling.

navscanmaster
08-28-2008, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by SNYDER325TIGERS
Wasn't there a guy named Darian Godfrey? Exuse the spelling.

Darian "Stump" Godfrey, in fact.:) One and the same.

SNYDER325TIGERS
08-28-2008, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
Darian "Stump" Godfrey, in fact.:) One and the same.

OIC, I was wondering if that was the same guy. Very skilled athlete! Hope to see Gilmer go deep this year.

Simple Man
08-28-2008, 07:15 AM
Lostaussie-What section will you be in? Section K back row for me.

waterboy
08-28-2008, 07:32 AM
For all those interested in listening to this game on-line, here is the link:

http://www.gilmerbuckeyes.com/

The broadcasting may be a little biased, but hey!:D

bulldogbark
08-28-2008, 09:10 AM
For a biased report in the other direction. The game can also be heard on

www.kjas.com

with Jasper announcers a fair and balanced report;)

pirate4state
08-28-2008, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
For all those interested in listening to this game on-line, here is the link:

http://www.gilmerbuckeyes.com/

The broadcasting may be a little biased, but hey!:D woo hoo thanks! :thumbsup: Nothing like an East Texas accent :inlove: :D

lostaussie
08-28-2008, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Simple Man
Lostaussie-What section will you be in? Section K back row for me. haven't got a ticket yet. unfortunetly i don't work as close as you do to the ticket booth:D. i do need to try to talk to you before the game though. i'll be perusing top side. we are on the home side, are we not?

waterboy
08-28-2008, 10:15 AM
we are on the home side, are we not?
That's what my ticket says!:thumbsup:

Buckeye1980
08-28-2008, 11:54 AM
What a bad time to be stuck in Huntsville.....(Work related!)

Txbroadcaster
08-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye1980

sure sure

if work related is a Breaking and Entering :D

waterboy
08-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Yeah, you're in jail again!:D Maybe they'll furlough ya long enough for the game. I know, I know, you're not incarcerated!:hand:

Buckeye1980
08-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Never should have said anything I guess, just hope I never see any of you at my work (waterboy!) Just a great time to have laptop and wireless internet and knowing the as long as the waterboy familly is there m than there will be no silence on the Buckeye side.

waterboy
08-28-2008, 01:18 PM
Never should have said anything I guess, just hope I never see any of you at my work (waterboy!) Just a great time to have laptop and wireless internet and knowing the as long as the waterboy familly is there m than there will be no silence on the Buckeye side.
Hey! You'll never have to worry about that! I'm a christian family man now. And, yes, I'm sure to be heard at the game. I'm not one of those prissy little people who sit on their hands. That's not any fun.:D

Simple Man
08-28-2008, 03:50 PM
Gilmer is on the home side.