PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Mesquite football coach accused of pawning school property gets 3-year teaching ba

kaorder1999
08-27-2008, 11:02 AM
Ex-Mesquite football coach accused of pawning school property gets 3-year teaching ban

10:45 AM CT

10:47 AM CDT on Wednesday, August 27, 2008
By MATTHEW HAAG / The Dallas Morning News

The Texas Education Agency has suspended former Mesquite High School football coach Steve Halpin from teaching in Texas public schools for three years following its investigation into whether the coach pawned Mesquite ISD property.

The State Board of Educator Certification, a division of the TEA that handles teacher certification, found that Mr. Halpin had "engaged in conduct by misusing district property," a TEA report states.

"Due to this conduct, the Board finds that the Respondent is a person presently unworthy to instruct or supervise the youth of this state," the report continues.

Mr. Halpin's football team won a state championship in 2001. The earliest he could reapply for reinstatement of his teaching certificate is July 2011.

"I don't really have a comment," Mr. Halpin said Wednesday morning when contacted by The Dallas Morning News.

The TEA's decision comes several months after a Mesquite Police Department investigation found that Mr. Halpin had repeatedly pawned school-district property. Officers checked their pawn shop databases and found that Mr. Halpin had pawned 270 items at local shops between January 2007 and April 2008, and had pawned two of the school district's cameras three times each.

The thefts amounted to more than $2,000.

"All electronics listed in this report were bought and maintained by Mesquite Independent School District and are not the personal property of any employee," the police report from early May says.

When police notified MISD about the investigation into Mr. Halpin, the district conducted its own investigation and subsequently declined to press charges against Mr. Halpin. District spokeswoman Laura Jobe said in May that the district didn't press charges because "all of the items are accounted for."

A week after police detectives notified MISD of their case, the school district allowed Mr. Halpin to retire "due to health problems."

After The News reported in early June that Mr. Halpin was under investigation, he quit his position as president of the Texas High School Coaches Association and told friends that he was battling a gambling problem.

Pat Collins, the Longview ISD athletic director, said Mr. Halpin told him he was in rehab. They had been considering the possibility that Mr. Halpin might go to Longview to coach junior varsity football. Mr. Collins said Mr. Halpin never told him about the pawn shop investigation.

Mr. Halpin said Wednesday morning that he has applied for several college-level jobs but is till out of a job.

"I have talked to several coaches so far, but I don't have any offers yet," he said.

He said he was looking forward to watching his son, Luke, play quarterback for the Mesquite Skeeters this year.

hookandladder
08-27-2008, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
Ex-Mesquite football coach accused of pawning school property gets 3-year teaching ban

10:45 AM CT

10:47 AM CDT on Wednesday, August 27, 2008
By MATTHEW HAAG / The Dallas Morning News

The Texas Education Agency has suspended former Mesquite High School football coach Steve Halpin from teaching in Texas public schools for three years following its investigation into whether the coach pawned Mesquite ISD property.

The State Board of Educator Certification, a division of the TEA that handles teacher certification, found that Mr. Halpin had "engaged in conduct by misusing district property," a TEA report states.

"Due to this conduct, the Board finds that the Respondent is a person presently unworthy to instruct or supervise the youth of this state," the report continues.

Mr. Halpin's football team won a state championship in 2001. The earliest he could reapply for reinstatement of his teaching certificate is July 2011.

"I don't really have a comment," Mr. Halpin said Wednesday morning when contacted by The Dallas Morning News.

The TEA's decision comes several months after a Mesquite Police Department investigation found that Mr. Halpin had repeatedly pawned school-district property. Officers checked their pawn shop databases and found that Mr. Halpin had pawned 270 items at local shops between January 2007 and April 2008, and had pawned two of the school district's cameras three times each.

The thefts amounted to more than $2,000.

"All electronics listed in this report were bought and maintained by Mesquite Independent School District and are not the personal property of any employee," the police report from early May says.

When police notified MISD about the investigation into Mr. Halpin, the district conducted its own investigation and subsequently declined to press charges against Mr. Halpin. District spokeswoman Laura Jobe said in May that the district didn't press charges because "all of the items are accounted for."

A week after police detectives notified MISD of their case, the school district allowed Mr. Halpin to retire "due to health problems."

After The News reported in early June that Mr. Halpin was under investigation, he quit his position as president of the Texas High School Coaches Association and told friends that he was battling a gambling problem.

Pat Collins, the Longview ISD athletic director, said Mr. Halpin told him he was in rehab. They had been considering the possibility that Mr. Halpin might go to Longview to coach junior varsity football. Mr. Collins said Mr. Halpin never told him about the pawn shop investigation.

Mr. Halpin said Wednesday morning that he has applied for several college-level jobs but is till out of a job.

"I have talked to several coaches so far, but I don't have any offers yet," he said.

He said he was looking forward to watching his son, Luke, play quarterback for the Mesquite Skeeters this year. ]\

This is very old news, it was posted on the old coach months ago.

kaorder1999
08-27-2008, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder
]\

no its not. read the story. The TEA just now decided to ban him from teaching for 3 years which is what the story is about.

Ranger Mom
08-27-2008, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder
]\

The original story was posted here too, I believe....but this is an update!!

LH Panther Mom
08-27-2008, 01:11 PM
KAO, have you seen or heard if TEA had any type of follow-up on MISD failing to report it within the deadline?

kaorder1999
08-27-2008, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
KAO, have you seen or heard if TEA had any type of follow-up on MISD failing to report it within the deadline?

I havent heard anything and Im not sure if TEA is even investigating it.

pirate4state
08-27-2008, 01:13 PM
:thinking: If he is an EX-coach does this mean this is a non-sports thread? Surely not since KAO likes to keep us in line with these type of threads! mkay....:devil: :D

LHexPlayer
08-27-2008, 01:14 PM
I can't believe they only banned him for 3 years. Although he probably will never get another teaching job again.

kaorder1999
08-27-2008, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:thinking: If he is an EX-coach does this mean this is a non-sports thread? Surely not since KAO likes to keep us in line with these type of threads! mkay....:devil: :D

haha....mmmkkkkkay.....

i guess the story has the word football in it so it passes!

pirate4state
08-27-2008, 01:15 PM
haha....mmmkkkkkay.....

i guess the tory has the word football in it so it passes!

the tory?

kaorder1999
08-27-2008, 01:15 PM
haha...you quoted right as i was editing!

Ranger Mom
08-27-2008, 01:16 PM
the tory?

You are being more ornery than usual to day!!:D

LH Panther Mom
08-27-2008, 01:17 PM
haha...you quoted right as i was editing! Gotta hate when someone's faster than you! :devil:

kaorder1999
08-27-2008, 01:18 PM
Gotta have when someone's faster than you! :devil:
gotta what?

LH Panther Mom
08-27-2008, 01:19 PM
gotta what? :tongue: :tongue: :p Shocking as it may seem, I have had a typo or two in my life. You suck. :D

kaorder1999
08-27-2008, 01:19 PM
:tongue: :tongue: :p Shocking as it may seem, I have had a typo or two in my life.

lol....that was perfect timing....

LH Panther Mom
08-27-2008, 01:21 PM
lol....that was perfect timing....
At least I didn't call someone my "herp". :eek: :devil:

(Sorry, RM! :kiss: )

kaorder1999
08-27-2008, 01:22 PM

:D

pirate4state
08-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
You are being more ornery than usual to day!!:D to day or today? :thinking: :crazy1:

At least I'm laughing on my end...don't know about anyone else though.

kaorder1999
08-27-2008, 01:23 PM
to day or today? :thinking: :crazy1:

At least I'm laughing on my end...don't know about anyone else though.

at this point I think everyone is laughing!

Ranger Mom
08-27-2008, 01:26 PM

:crazy1: :crazy1:

I guess I should be apologizing to 44!!:D

44INAROW
08-27-2008, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
:crazy1: :crazy1:

I guess I should be apologizing to 44!!:D

No you shouldn't be - it gave me a huge laugh for the morning :D :D :D :D

oh and in reply to the story -
#1 - I am glad to see he's admitted he had a problem and hope he does well in recovery and I hope his son is able to play ball without any repercussions BUT
#2 - theft is theft - whether the items were returned or not - makes a person wonder what ELSE is going on unreported :thinking: