PDA

View Full Version : 9 year old boy told he's too good

GreenGobbla
08-26-2008, 04:42 PM
NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- Nine-year-old Jericho Scott is a good baseball player -- too good, it turns out.

The right-hander has a fastball that tops out at about 40 mph. He throws so hard that the Youth Baseball League of New Haven told his coach that the boy could not pitch any more. When Jericho took the mound anyway last week, the opposing team forfeited the game, packed its gear and left, his coach said.

Officials for the three-year-old league, which has eight teams and about 100 players, said they will disband Jericho's team, redistributing its players among other squads, and offered to refund $50 sign-up fees to anyone who asks for it. They say Jericho's coach, Wilfred Vidro, has resigned.

But Vidro says he didn't quit and the team refuses to disband. Players and parents held a protest at the league's field on Saturday urging the league to let Jericho pitch.

"He's never hurt any one," Vidro said. "He's on target all the time. How can you punish a kid for being too good?"

The controversy bothers Jericho, who says he misses pitching.

"I feel sad," he said. "I feel like it's all my fault nobody could play."

[+] Enlarge
Jericho Scott

AP Photo/Douglas Healey

Officials with the Youth Baseball League of New Haven say they will disband Jericho Scott's team because his coach won't stop him from pitching.

Jericho's coach and parents say the boy is being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league's administrators.

Jericho instead joined a team sponsored by Will Power Fitness. The team was 8-0 and on its way to the playoffs when Jericho was banned from pitching.

"I think it's discouraging when you're telling a 9-year-old you're too good at something," said his mother, Nicole Scott. "The whole objective in life is to find something you're good at and stick with it. I'd rather he spend all his time on the baseball field than idolizing someone standing on the street corner."

League attorney Peter Noble says the only factor in banning Jericho from the mound is his pitches are just too fast.

"He is a very skilled player, a very hard thrower," Noble said. "There are a lot of beginners. This is not a high-powered league. This is a developmental league whose main purpose is to promote the sport."

Noble acknowledged that Jericho had not beaned any batters in the co-ed league of 8- to 10-year-olds, but say parents expressed safety concerns.

"Facing that kind of speed" is frightening for beginning players, Noble said.

League officials say they first told Vidro that the boy could not pitch after a game on Aug. 13. Jericho played second base the next game on Aug. 16. But when he took the mound Wednesday, the other team walked off and a forfeit was called.

League officials say Jericho's mother became irate, threatening them and vowing to get the league shut down.

"I have never seen behavior of a parent like the behavior Jericho's mother exhibited Wednesday night," Noble said.

Scott denies threatening any one, but said she did call the police.

League officials suggested that Jericho play other positions, or pitch against older players or in a different league.

Local attorney John Williams was planning to meet with Jericho's parents Monday to discuss legal options.

"You don't have to be learned in the law to know in your heart that it's wrong," he said. "Now you have to be punished because you excel at something?"

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

piratebg
08-26-2008, 04:43 PM
This is posted in both forums now. :D

Ranger Mom
08-26-2008, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
This is posted in both forums now. :D

How funny.....I guess I DID post a sports topic in the non-sports forum...huh??:crazy1:

JR2004
08-26-2008, 04:44 PM
More idiot adults right here.

I think there was also something about him not wanting to play for the best team in the league or something like that that also contributed to this from what I heard on the news.

Phil C
08-26-2008, 04:47 PM
They did the same thing to a boy in Houston Little League Baseball in the 70s I think. I don't remember who he was but in effect he was told he was too good to play. Probabaly Taiwan breathed a sigh of relief.

Emerson1
08-26-2008, 04:50 PM
40 mph isn't even that fast

Bull's-eye
08-26-2008, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
40 mph isn't even that fast

It is to 9 year olds and from the short mound distance, thats like throwing 110 mph.

SNYDER325TIGERS
08-26-2008, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
It is to 9 year olds and from the short mound distance, thats like throwing 110 mph.

Yea thats for sure, thats pretty stupid of them to not let a kid play because he's "to good". It doesn't make any sense at all.

daug
08-26-2008, 06:35 PM
Connecticutt--enough said.

wimbo_pro
08-26-2008, 07:01 PM
I guess the problem is since many kids at that age probably can't get out of the way of an effective 110mph ball (and if you have kids or if you umpire, you know what I am talking about), a beaming to the face or elsewhere could do serious damage. I have no doubt that some less developed kids would never even see the ball leave the pitchers hand...they would just stand there in a daze. He is also pitching to girls...its a co-ed league.

It seems to me they could take other precautions (face guards, elbow paddings for the batters, etc), versus banning the kid. It kind of sounds like politics are involved in the decision too.

espn1
08-26-2008, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
40 mph isn't even that fast My eight year old practices on the 50MPH cages? My 10 year old batted against a pitcher that threw close to 70mph! I batted against him and the close mound makes the ball look like a blur.

grahampaw
08-26-2008, 07:04 PM
I heard this story on Galloway today.Like everyone else I thought it was a load of crap for a littleleague to do this to a kid.Then I heard the rest of the story,this is a co-ed developmental league for kids that have not learned the game or are behind the other kids.the same littleleague has a 8 team league thats a competitive league that he was asked to move too.His parents refused to move him to the other league.Randy Galloway changed his opinion after hearing this and I do as well.

Emerson1
08-26-2008, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye

These kids in the LLWS are throwing 65.

and if you believe them it's not because their kids suck and can't hit him, it's because they don't wanna get a boo boo

espn1
08-26-2008, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by grahampaw
I heard this story on Galloway today.Like everyone else I thought it was a load of crap for a littleleague to do this to a kid.Then I heard the rest of the story,this is a co-ed developmental league for kids that have not learned the game or are behind the other kids.the same littleleague has a 8 team league thats a competitive league that he was asked to move too.His parents refused to move him to the other league.Randy Galloway changed his opinion after hearing this and I do as well. That's the first thing that crossed my mind! I thought that anybody that good should be playing Select Ball.

CelinaCatFan
08-26-2008, 09:32 PM
I watched a 9 year old pitcher from Edmond Oklahoma throw in the upper 50's consistently and even topped 60 on several occasions.

He did this in the OK/TX NIT Shootout Tournament earlier this summer. The tournament consisted of many teams that would later play in the Super Series National Tournament this year.