PDA

View Full Version : speak english or go home.........

jason
08-26-2008, 03:09 PM
LPGA to require English for intl players

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP)—The LPGA Tour boasts players from all over the world, and it wants all of them to be able to speak English.

The LPGA will require players to speak English starting in 2009, with players who have been LPGA members for two years facing suspension if they can’t pass an oral evaluation of English skills. The rule is effective immediately for new players.

“Why now? Athletes now have more responsibilities and we want to help their professional development,” deputy commissioner Libba Galloway told The Associated Press. “There are more fans, more media and more sponsors. We want to help our athletes as best we can succeed off the golf course as well as on it.”

The tour held a mandatory meeting with South Koreans last Wednesday at the Safeway Classic to inform them of the new policy, which was first reported by Golfweek magazine.

There are 121 international players from 26 countries on the LPGA Tour, including 45 players from South Korea.

The South Koreans were informed of the rule, however LPGA commissioner Carolyn Bivens has not given them—or anyone—a written explanation, Galloway said.

But the message already appears to be lost in translation. The magazine said every South Korean player it interviewed believed she would lose her card—not be suspended—if she failed the English evaluation.

Angela Park, born in Brazil of South Korean heritage and raised in the United States, said the policy is fair and good for the tour and its international players.

“A lot of Korean players think they are being targeted, but it’s just because there are so many of them,” Park told the magazine.

Galloway said the LPGA is a “global tour and is not targeting any specific player or country.”

Seon-Hwa Lee, the only Asian with multiple victories this year, said she works with an English tutor in the winter. Her ability to answer questions without the help of a translator has improved in her short time on tour.

“The economy is bad, and we are losing sponsors,” Lee said. “Everybody understands.”

The policy was endorsed by at least one tournament director, Kate Peters of the LPGA State Farm Classic.

“This is an American tour,” Peters said. “It is important for sponsors to be able to interact with players and have a positive experience.”

Galloway denied the move was based on sponsors and said interest in the tour has never been stronger.

“We are connecting with fans and sponsors like never before,” she said. “But we want things to continue to get better, to continue to grow.”

LINK (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news?slug=ap-lpga-english&prov=ap&type=lgns)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Global Swarming
08-26-2008, 03:20 PM
If only they would do that in our local schools. I think it's quite unfair for my kids to be forced to learn Spanish or fail. If you're going to live in this country, you should learn the language. We shouldn't have to adapt our way of learning to accomodate other people.

Old Tiger
08-26-2008, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Global Swarming
If only they would do that in our local schools. I think it's quite unfair for my kids to be forced to learn Spanish or fail. If you're going to live in this country, you should learn the language. We shouldn't have to adapt our way of learning to accomodate other people. You have to have at least 2 years of spanish to graduate on the recommended plan

Pick6
08-26-2008, 03:24 PM
If only they would do that in our local schools. I think it's quite unfair for my kids to be forced to learn Spanish or fail. If you're going to live in this country, you should learn the language. We shouldn't have to adapt our way of learning to accomodate other people.

You are 100% correct. It's to bad that everyone doesn't understand that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZprtPat1Vk

44INAROW
08-26-2008, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
You have to have at least 2 years of spanish to graduate on the recommended plan

I thought it was 3 years - if it's not, don't tell Lil44 it's only 2 years lol,,, he took 3 :p

Global Swarming
08-26-2008, 03:28 PM
Yeah I know. I guess if they had other choices besides Spanish I wouldn't be so irrate. Being forced to learn another language is bad enough, but they should give them a choice of which foreign language they would like to learn. It should be an elective instead of forced.

ronwx5x
08-26-2008, 03:33 PM
If you speak three languages, you are tri-lingual.
If you speak two languages, you are bi-lingual.
If you speak one language, you are American.

An old saying but so true. Why shouldn't we learn another language? After all, we live in a global world. Every time we have a problem, we have to hire native speakers to translate because no American speaks the language of the country we have a problem with. It's no wonder other nationalities think we are arrogant when we demand they all learn our language and we don't bother to learn another.

Two years of high school Spanish, or any other foreign language, is a joke. The students learn to count, colors, say I don't know, and pass along some curse words to each other. That's fluency in a language?

Old Tiger
08-26-2008, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I thought it was 3 years - if it's not, don't tell Lil44 it's only 2 years lol,,, he took 3 :p 3 years for the destinguished:nerd: :D

Ranger Mom
08-26-2008, 04:02 PM
I know my kids had to learn a foreign language and like Jason said, it was 2 years on the recommended plan....only bad thing, Spanish was all they offered!!

crzyjournalist03
08-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I know my kids had to learn a foreign language and like Jason said, it was 2 years on the recommended plan....only bad thing, Spanish was all they offered!!

Forney offered French, Spanish, and German. I took three years of Spanish and then took more in college...I actually enjoyed learning another language. I chose Spanish because I live closer to Mexico than Canada, France, or Germany.

Ranger Mom
08-26-2008, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Forney offered French, Spanish, and German. I took three years of Spanish and then took more in college...I actually enjoyed learning another language. I chose Spanish because I live closer to Mexico than Canada, France, or Germany.

When I was in Spanish, I learned The Pledge of Allegiance....have yet to meet a single "Texican" that has a clue what I am saying!!!

Emerson1
08-26-2008, 04:54 PM
I remember about 1% of what I learned. Only thing I remember is the different endings for what you are talking about, and that's only because you did it every day.

Global Swarming
08-26-2008, 04:58 PM
I have no problem learning another language. It's great if you want to learn another language. All I'm saying is that the public schools shouldn't force our kids to learn another language. After all this is an English speaking nation. If you want to be a translator or work for the united nations then by all means do it. I think it's arrogant for the school systems to force you to learn another language. The next thing you know, they'll be forcing our kids to pray to allah five times a day and tell us it's required.

crzyjournalist03
08-26-2008, 05:06 PM
I have no problem learning another language. It's great if you want to learn another language. All I'm saying is that the public schools shouldn't force our kids to learn another language. After all this is an English speaking nation. If you want to be a translator or work for the united nations then by all means do it. I think it's arrogant for the school systems to force you to learn another language. The next thing you know, they'll be forcing our kids to pray to allah five times a day and tell us it's required.

Why do public schools "force" students to learn world history instead of just U.S. history?

Why do they "force" students to learn science, if very few students actually want to learn science?

Why do they "force" students to learn advanced math like precalculus if they never intend on using it?

Why are students "forced" to have a P.E. credit?

It's not about making your children do something to appease the masses--it's about giving your children the most well-rounded education possible.

Old Tiger
08-26-2008, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Why do public schools "force" students to learn world history instead of just U.S. history?

Why do they "force" students to learn science, if very few students actually want to learn science?

Why do they "force" students to learn advanced math like precalculus if they never intend on using it?

Why are students "forced" to have a P.E. credit?

It's not about making your children do something to appease the masses--it's about giving your children the most well-rounded education possible. You're not getting a well rounded education anymore.

All school is about now days is the stupid TAKS test or what used to be TAAS. You only learn what will be on those test instead of everything which you should.

All TAKS/TAAS is for is to make money for the school and no other reason. I say get rid of both of them and teach a much more broad spectrum of literature, math, science, history, and etc.

DU_stud04
08-26-2008, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
If you speak three languages, you are tri-lingual.
If you speak two languages, you are bi-lingual.
If you speak one language, you are American.

An old saying but so true. Why shouldn't we learn another language? After all, we live in a global world. Every time we have a problem, we have to hire native speakers to translate because no American speaks the language of the country we have a problem with. It's no wonder other nationalities think we are arrogant when we demand they all learn our language and we don't bother to learn another.

Two years of high school Spanish, or any other foreign language, is a joke. The students learn to count, colors, say I don't know, and pass along some curse words to each other. That's fluency in a language? :clap: :clap: :clap:

what about people that are quad-lingual? :D

Ranger Mom
08-26-2008, 09:34 PM
I know pig latin...does that make me bilingual??

LOL...that reminded me of THIS THREAD (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=18973&highlight=ancay)

LH Panther Mom
08-26-2008, 09:53 PM
I guess if they had other choices besides Spanish I wouldn't be so irrate. Being forced to learn another language is bad enough, but they should give them a choice of which foreign language they would like to learn.
We offer (or used to) ASL in lieu of Spanish.

In the larger schools, you'll see French and other languages, but it would be difficult to have enough teachers for other languages, at 3A and smaller for most schools.

navscanmaster
08-27-2008, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
You're not getting a well rounded education anymore.

All school is about now days is the stupid TAKS test or what used to be TAAS. You only learn what will be on those test instead of everything which you should.

All TAKS/TAAS is for is to make money for the school and no other reason. I say get rid of both of them and teach a much more broad spectrum of literature, math, science, history, and etc.

This has got to be a first. I agree with Go Blue. There, I said it.:p :hand:

Pick6
08-27-2008, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by navscanmaster

It takes a big person to admit that :)

rockdale80
08-27-2008, 08:07 AM

I was thinking the exact same thing. Well said Casey.

Phil C
08-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Que???!!!

:mad:

navscanmaster
08-27-2008, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Que???!!!

:mad:

No ingles? Vaya la bebida su café, Padrino de Sinton.

:devil: :D

Phil C
08-27-2008, 02:49 PM
No ingles? Vaya la bebida su café, Padrino de Sinton.

:devil: :D

Por Supuesto. :)

navscanmaster
08-27-2008, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Por Supuesto. :)

¡Me río en voz alta!

:spitlol:

JasperDog94
08-27-2008, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Pick6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZprtPat1Vk Wow. I didn't realize that EVERY European knew how to speak English, French AND German.:rolleyes: :hand: :hand:

The next thing you'll tell me is that natural gas isn't a fossil fuel.

link (http://blogs.wsj.com/environmentalcapital/2008/08/25/fuel-for-debate-pelosi-suggests-natural-gas-isnt-a-fossil-fuel/) :doh: :doh: :doh: