PDA

View Full Version : Too Good???

Ranger Mom
08-26-2008, 01:19 PM
Parents of 9-year-old, 'too good' for league, taking legal action.

By Pamela McLoughlin, Register Staff
08/26/2008

NEW HAVEN — The fight between youth baseball league officials and one of its teams over a player whose pitching is said to be too good for batters is moving from the ball field to the legal field.

Leroy and Nicole Scott, whose fast-pitching son, Jericho, 9, is at the center of the dispute, met Monday, along with another player’s parents, with prominent attorney John Williams to see whether the season could be saved. Williams said Monday he will take legal action to try to get Jericho’s team into the upcoming playoffs, where they belong after an 8-0 season. He also will sue the league over the pain and suffering of Jericho and the other young players.

League officials offered to move the team’s 13 players to other squads after they tried to dissolve the team last week because the coach, Wilfred Vidro, refused to pull Jericho off the pitcher’s mound as requested by league officials.

Jericho’s pitches are so fast and accurate that league officials and some parents feared their kids weren’t able to play freely, league attorney Peter Noble said recently. All the players on Jericho’s team declined to move and are sticking together.

Williams says the league officials are out in left field.

“This is a terrible, terrible thing happening to these kids,” Williams said. “Not only does it spoil their summer and their childhood, but it tells them it’s more about winning than doing your best. Everything we value children in athletics for, this is the antithesis.”

Leroy Scott said Jericho remains sad about the situation, blaming himself for the team’s troubles, troubles that keep them from playing ball.

“He’s trying to hold the weight of the world on his shoulders,” Leroy Scott said. “The kids are suffering because they were looking forward to the playoffs.”

Scott said no one from the team of 13 has sided with the league, and league officials have declined to answer their many questions, leaving no choice but to approach the situation legally.

Parents will hold a car wash and other fundraisers to offset the cost of hiring Williams, known for being willing to tackle out of the ordinary cases.

Noble had no comment Monday, but said over the weekend the league has only the best interest of kids in mind and it is intended to be fun.

Vidro, who couldn’t be reached for comment, has said he never resigned, even though Noble has said that he did. When Vidro refused to remove Jericho from a game Wednesday, the other team walked off the field as Jericho began his warm-up pitches.

Vidro has said Jericho’s expert pitching should be looked upon favorably by other teams and parents because it will only help make their kids stronger players.

But Noble said Jericho’s pitches are so good that some of other children feel getting a hit is hopeless and are discouraged from the start. Noble admits Jericho’s pitches are not haphazard or apt to hit people.

The Scotts and Vidro said they believe league officials wanted Jericho off the mound because those officials wanted another team to win; a team that was in first place prior to Jericho’s appearance and is sponsored by Carlito’s Barber Shop, where a league official has a haircutting chair.

Noble said league officials are trying to find a traveling or other advanced team for Jericho, a New York Yankees and Alex Rodriguez fan. But Jericho’s mom, Nicole, said she wants him to feel good about using his talents on a team that could benefit most from his efforts.

Link (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,410162,00.html)

crzyjournalist03
08-26-2008, 01:28 PM
when do kids move from coach-pitch to kid-pitch? I think that 8-year-olds are usually the last year of coach pitch. If that's the case, then maybe he really is too fast for a kid that's seen nothing other than underhand throws from a coach his entire life.

pirate4state
08-26-2008, 01:29 PM
Maybe those other kids need to go back to coach pitch or move the pitcher to a different age bracket.

crzyjournalist03
08-26-2008, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Maybe those other kids need to go back to coach pitch or move the pitcher to a different age bracket.

I believe that the kid was already given that option, but his parents declined because his other baseball skills weren't as advanced as his pitching ability.

pirate4state
08-26-2008, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I believe that the kid was already given that option, but his parents declined because his other baseball skills weren't as advanced as his pitching ability. The only thing I read in this article is that they offered to move his TEAMMATES to other squads, but not him. They don't want him pitching on ANY team, in this age bracket. Doesn't that go against everything LL stands for? Or is this not associated with LL?

crzyjournalist03
08-26-2008, 01:44 PM
The only thing I read in this article is that they offered to move his TEAMMATES to other squads, but not him. They don't want him pitching on ANY team, in this age bracket. Doesn't that go against everything LL stands for? Or is this not associated with LL?

see...that's what I don't understand...the words "Little League" are not used a single time in the article, which leads me to believe it's a different branch.

crzyjournalist03
08-26-2008, 01:46 PM
more info on the story:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/sns-ap-bby-too-good-to-pitch,0,2680508.story

He's out! Baseball league bans 9-year-old from pitching because he's too good

By JOHN CHRISTOFFERSEN | Associated Press Writer
8:33 PM CDT, August 25, 2008

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) _ Nine-year-old Jericho Scott is a good baseball player — too good, it turns out.

The right-hander has a fastball that tops out at about 40 mph. He throws so hard that the Youth Baseball League of New Haven told his coach that the boy could not pitch any more. When Jericho took the mound anyway last week, the opposing team forfeited the game, packed its gear and left, his coach said.

Officials for the three-year-old league, which has eight teams and about 100 players, said they will disband Jericho's team, redistributing its players among other squads, and offered to refund $50 sign-up fees to anyone who asks for it. They say Jericho's coach, Wilfred Vidro, has resigned.

But Vidro says he didn't quit and the team refuses to disband. Players and parents held a protest at the league's field on Saturday urging the league to let Jericho pitch.

"He's never hurt any one," Vidro said. "He's on target all the time. How can you punish a kid for being too good?"

The controversy bothers Jericho, who says he misses pitching.

"I feel sad," he said. "I feel like it's all my fault nobody could play."

Jericho's coach and parents say the boy is being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league's administrators.

Jericho instead joined a team sponsored by Will Power Fitness. The team was 8-0 and on its way to the playoffs when Jericho was banned from pitching.

"I think it's discouraging when you're telling a 9-year-old you're too good at something," said his mother, Nicole Scott. "The whole objective in life is to find something you're good at and stick with it. I'd rather he spend all his time on the baseball field than idolizing someone standing on the street corner."

League attorney Peter Noble says the only factor in banning Jericho from the mound is his pitches are just too fast.

"He is a very skilled player, a very hard thrower," Noble said. "There are a lot of beginners. This is not a high-powered league. This is a developmental league whose main purpose is to promote the sport."

Noble acknowledged that Jericho had not beaned any batters in the co-ed league of 8- to 10-year-olds, but say parents expressed safety concerns.

"Facing that kind of speed" is frightening for beginning players, Noble said.

League officials say they first told Vidro that the boy could not pitch after a game on Aug. 13. Jericho played second base the next game on Aug. 16. But when he took the mound Wednesday, the other team walked off and a forfeit was called.

League officials say Jericho's mother became irate, threatening them and vowing to get the league shut down.

"I have never seen behavior of a parent like the behavior Jericho's mother exhibited Wednesday night," Noble said.

Scott denies threatening any one, but said she did call the police.

League officials suggested that Jericho play other positions, or pitch against older players or in a different league.

Local attorney John Williams was planning to meet with Jericho's parents Monday to discuss legal options.

"You don't have to be learned in the law to know in your heart that it's wrong," he said. "Now you have to be punished because you excel at something?"

pirate4state
08-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
see...that's what I don't understand...the words "Little League" are not used a single time in the article, which leads me to believe it's a different branch. you are correct. i just assumed little league, but it actually just says "youth league" officials.

I think it's pretty poor of the opposing coach to instruct his kids to walk off the field when they saw who they'd be facing on the mound. What exactly is HE teaching them? :dispntd: :speech: :bigcry:

Wussification of America.

crzyjournalist03
08-26-2008, 01:50 PM
What exactly is HE teaching them? :dispntd: :speech: :bigcry:

"If at first you don't succeed...on second thought...just don't give it a shot in the first place if you're overmatched."

piratebg
08-26-2008, 03:30 PM
This story really pissed me off. So the kid has an arm. It's not like he's hitting batters with wild pitches. They said he has great control. I don't see what the big deal is. And then the fact that an opposing coach had his team walk off the field is just rediculous. Way to teach the kids how to back down from a challenge coach.

Necks_Fan
08-27-2008, 01:48 PM
Wussification of America. I couldn't agree more.

I just don't see how you punish him. I hope this kid makes it big time just to make those douchebags feel all warm inside.