PDA

View Full Version : College Football ...What to expect? Your thoughts?

IHStangFan
08-25-2008, 06:43 PM
SO....what does everyone expect out of their team, conference, etc. this year? What are your thoughts going in?

ME....oh...glad you asked.

Texas A&M Aggies:
I am anxious to see the new offense that is installed. I want to see how McGee fairs in more of an NFL style O. I am also curious to see what Goodson can do behind Javorskie playing a true FB position. Will they have any special drawn up plays for the J-Train?

University of Texas Longhorns:
I'm curious to see which Cart McCry will take the field, the one that works magic i.e. his redshirt fresh. year...or the INT machine from last year. I am curious to see if they can fill the holes and who will emerge as the big play maker for the Horns.

Texas Tech University Red Raiders:
With all of this hype surrounding them, my only thought is "what...did they finally install a defense?" I've always said if they had a D they could win a Champ. So I'm curious to see what all of the buzz is about.

Arizona State Sun Devils:
I am hopeful that the Sun Devils can derail the USC Trojans who the media has already dubbed the Pac10 champs. The Devils usually give USC a run, will they have the horses this year to run w/ the highly touted Trojans?

Cameron Crazy
08-25-2008, 06:51 PM
Expect to see some good stuff from the Horns this year. They will have a decent, well, better secondary this year from last. The QB will be better and also they will have a new look at times with the Chiles/Mccoy tandem.

This Mccoy/Chiles tandem could bring some heat to the opposing team making them hard to handle. So, I guess we will have to see all this happen, but, I'm thinking Texas will suprise some people this year.

popcorn screen
08-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Ut will not go to a BCS bowl. Tech will go to a BSC bowl. (Yipes, did I actually say that?) A&M will be much improved. Sooners could win it all. As always, it will be a wild college football year.

cameron91
08-25-2008, 07:09 PM
I want to see Baylor go to a Bowl Game.:D

Texas - will loose to Colorado , but win the Big 12 south.

Mizzou - will beat Texas in the Big 12 Championship game. to claim their first big 12 title.

National Championship game will be..

Ohio St. - due to the weak Big 10...

Mizzou - will only have 1 lost to Texas..

Mizzou 38
OSU 24

LH Panther Mom
08-25-2008, 07:15 PM
I can hardly wait to see if the semblence of defense Tech showed later in the season last year has solidified. From what I saw of Coach McNeill, he truly cares about the players while getting in their face when they have brain farts. :D And just once, even if only for a fleeting second, I hope that Leech looks like he knows what's going on around him. lol

Cameron Crazy
08-25-2008, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by popcorn screen
Ut will not go to a BCS bowl. Tech will go to a BSC bowl. (Yipes, did I actually say that?) A&M will be much improved. Sooners could win it all. As always, it will be a wild college football year. A&M much improved? This is probably going to be the worst year for them. You will see.

sahen
08-25-2008, 07:38 PM
I expect my Bears to have 1 or 2 wins....i have come to learn if you expect the worst you normally arent disappointed by Baylor...

cameron91
08-25-2008, 07:59 PM
Wake Forrest game Thursday night will set the tone for Baylor.with the due of Robert Griffen and J Sanders in the back feild that will be a good one - two punch combo. I can see Baylor winning 6 games.their only question will be on defense..:D

Wolf Playa
08-25-2008, 08:02 PM
OU will WIN it all this year, they will win the Big 12 against Mizzou for the 2nd straight year.
OU-42
Mizzou-21

They will then meet USC in the National Championship Game!

OU-31
USC-24

Enough said =D

JR2004
08-25-2008, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
Texas Tech University Red Raiders:
With all of this hype surrounding them, my only thought is "what...did they finally install a defense?" I've always said if they had a D they could win a Champ. So I'm curious to see what all of the buzz is about.
[/B]

If Tech played every game the way they do against A&M they'd run the table.

They have the best offense and might just have enough defensively to get past Jokelahoma this year and win the South.

sahen
08-25-2008, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by cameron91
Wake Forrest game Thursday night will set the tone for Baylor.with the due of Robert Griffen and J Sanders in the back feild that will be a good one - two punch combo. I can see Baylor winning 6 games.their only question will be on defense..:D

the defense last year really wasnt that bad the problem was they were on the field 3/4ths of the game so the time the 2nd half came they were too tired to defend...

dont even know if Griffin will be starting, Sanders is a JUCO junior and has tons of talent/potential, i imagine he will be getting on the field as much as possible whether that be runningback, wideout, and the occasional snap or 2 at quarterback...i'd like to see the Sanders/Griffin backfield but we may have to wait a year, we'll see what Briles does...

i'd be shocked if we beat Wake, if we do then i'd of course expect a much better year, for now im just hoping not get blown out...

popcorn screen
08-25-2008, 08:10 PM
Last time I checked, a&m beat UT....I didnt trash UT, just said they wouldnt go to a BCS bowl. How can TAMU not be much improved this year. They and Teach will be undefeated when they play this year. To me, that is much improved. If they bear TT (whom has had their # the last 10 years or so) that will be a step in the right direction. I left the Bears out, but they will be much improved as well.

IHStangFan
08-25-2008, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
A&M much improved? This is probably going to be the worst year for them. You will see. I understand where you are coming from...new coach, new system, etc....but I will have to respectfully disagree here. The Ags will have a coach that WON'T be seemingly trying to run them into the ground on purpose, a system in place that will better fit the athletes at A&M, etc. I think they will be much improved on offense. The D will be the question mark in my opinion.

Cameron Crazy
08-25-2008, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by popcorn screen
Last time I checked, a&m beat UT....I didnt trash UT, just said they wouldnt go to a BCS bowl. How can TAMU not be much improved this year. They and Teach will be undefeated when they play this year. To me, that is much improved. If they bear TT (whom has had their # the last 10 years or so) that will be a step in the right direction. I left the Bears out, but they will be much improved as well. First off, you need to learn how to spell. Second, you have zero knowledge of college football.

DDBooger
08-25-2008, 08:53 PM
wow, didn't take long for A&M and UT to derail this! hahaha both teams are question marks to me. Tech has expectations, but I'll wait and see if they've learned to play D before rushing to the bandwagon. Choklahoma will run the Big 12 and be humiliated by an SEC team. I think Ohio St. will lose to USC and a SEC team will get the nod over them by nature of their letdowns in the last two national championships. Granted, following UT vs USC is tough, people want to see something where the game isn't decided before the 4th qtr.

87 TIGER
08-25-2008, 08:54 PM
OU and Missouri are the best teams in big 12
Tech is next
Horns will struggle a little
a&m is too up and down , never consistent
baylor is just baylor, sorry bears fans

I'm going with Missouri Tigers for the Champs & bcs
DE Stryker Sulak former Rockdale Tiger gets a shot at a national championship.

3afan
08-25-2008, 09:14 PM
SFA will win more games than they did in '08 !!!

cats 2008
08-25-2008, 09:14 PM
OU will win it all.

cshscougar08
08-25-2008, 10:28 PM
A&M will not be improved at all. They will probably struggle to make a bowl game. Texas has a ton of question marks at key positions on offense. They will finish third in the South at best. Tech will have to prove themselves before anyone jumps on that ship. We (Oklahoma) will hopefully win the Big 12. After that, I'm not sure.

IHStangFan
08-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
A&M will not be improved at all. They will probably struggle to make a bowl game. Texas has a ton of question marks at key positions on offense. They will finish third in the South at best. Tech will have to prove themselves before anyone jumps on that ship. We (Oklahoma) will hopefully win the Big 12. After that, I'm not sure. I hope that you are wrong about A&M. I'd like to think a system has been installed that will be conducive to the athletes there, and that they have worked hard on learning the system in time for Week 1. Time will tell though.

JR2004
08-25-2008, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by 3afan

Best prediction yet...lol.

LH Panther Mom
08-25-2008, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
Tech will have to prove themselves before anyone jumps on that ship.
I've been riding that ship for as long as I remember. :p

cshscougar08
08-25-2008, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I've been riding that ship for as long as I remember. :p

I meant like fans of football. Not Tech fans. Obviously those people have been on board. But for just regular fans Tech has to prove themselves. Check that. The DEFENSE has to prove themselves.

big daddy russ
08-25-2008, 11:41 PM
Scariest Team-- UGA. The 'Dawgs are completely loaded, top to bottom, offense and defense.

Most Overrated-- KANSAS. Don't ask me how they did it last year, but they'll come back down to earth this year. Though eight wins isn't out of the question, the North will take a huge leap forward this year and

Second-Most Overrated-- ALABAMA. Don't ask me how they're ranked in the top 25. The only thing they have to look forward to is a second year with the coach who won a split National Title back in '03.

Best non-SEC team to be snubbed from the BCS-- TEXAS TECH. I love the Raiders this year, but an offense like that is like a jumpshooting team. Someone's bound to catch you on an off night, the only question is whether or not you can weather the storm. They'll roll into the Capital One Bowl or Cotton Bowl on a mission and hit someone in the mouth. I'd love to see them and Georgia square off.

National Championship-- FLORIDA VS. OHIO STATE. Georgia's the toughest team, but the Bulldog offense is led by youngsters Matthew Stafford and Knowshown Moreno. With trips to Columbia, South Carolina, Tempe, Baton Rouge, and Auburn, the schedule won't be kind and the team will certainly suffer some setbacks. On the flip side, OSU returns nine starters to each side of the ball and looks to have the type of schedule that allows them a little rest after each toughie, though trips to USC, Madison, and Champaign look intimidating. As much as I hate to say it, this is Florida's season. The offense will hum, D is fast, and the three toughest "road" games will be at Knoxville, Tallahassee, and "at" Jacksonville....

...Then again, Georgia, OU, or USC may prove me wrong.

Heisman-- KNOWSHOWN MORENO. Graham Harrell and Michael Crabtree will get snubbed because they're labeled system players while Moreno edges out surprise candidate Josh Freeman of Kansas State.

BCS Conference Champs (ranked by conference strength):
1. SEC: Florida (beats LSU in the SEC title game)
2. Big XII: Oklahoma (beats Mizzou in the title game)
3. Pac-10: USC
4. Big Ten: Ohio State
5. ACC: Wake Forest
6. Big East: West Virginia

SEC Final Standings
WEST
1. LSU
2. Auburn
3. OLE MISS!!!
4. Bama
5. Mississippi State (I hated to put Sly Croom's team here, but I couldn't think of anywhere else to put him.)
6. Arkie

EAST
1. Florida
2. Georgia
3. Tennessee
4. South Carolina
5. Kentucky
6. Vandy

BIG XII Final Standings
NORTH
1. Mizzou
2. Kansas State
3. Kansas
4. Nebraska
5. Iowa State
6. Colorado

SOUTH
1. Oklahoma
2. Tech
3. Texas
4. A&M
5. Okie State
6. Baylor

MY TEAMS:
AUBURN- Second in the SEC West, which will play little brother to the East this year. They'll be exciting to watch with Troy Franklin's new offense and super recruit Kodi Burns taking the reigns from chronic underachiever Brandon Cox, but this team is young. Expect the the September 20 game against LSU at Jordan-Hare to be another "game of the year" type as the two teams match up pretty evenly. Auburn's defense will again be one of the most physical in the country, but the team could have matchup problems against Tennessee and Ole Miss if the young secondary is exposed. I'd be surprised if we beat Georgia. We'll go double digits in the win column, but 2009 is our championship year.

SAM HOUSTON STATE- The team will be led by Rhett Bomar on offense and Chris Brown on defense. Though the Bearkats were hurt by injuries last year, they managed to roll off a few wins at the end of the season to get some momentum heading into this year. Though the loss of D.D. Terry will be a huge blow and Bomar won't have Blake Martin to throw to, this team will be better than last year and in the mix for the Southland title.

TEXAS A&M- Will sneak up on some teams and will be improved from last year. On paper, the offensive backfield is the best in the conference, but I wonder if they defense will still be as slow as last year? Based on the schedule, they could be a nine- or ten-win team, but beating any two of Miami, OU, UT, and Tech along with every other game on the schedule will be tough... and K-State and Okie State won't roll over. Realistically, 7.5 wins is the over/under on this team. I expect them to win eight, with victories at UT and against Miami, but losses to Tech, OU, K-State, and at least one other team.

TCU- Honestly don't know much about this year's team, so I won't even try.

JR2004
08-26-2008, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ

TCU- Honestly don't know much about this year's team, so I won't even try.

I don't know too much about them either other than we've got a former Madison player, Raphael Priest, going into his junior year having started every game the last two seasons for the Horned Frogs at CB. They seem to be pretty optimistic that the defense will be really good this season over there in Ft. Worth. If their offense can just be a little above average they might have a 10 win season this year.

Old Tiger
08-26-2008, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
I hope that you are wrong about A&M. I'd like to think a system has been installed that will be conducive to the athletes there, and that they have worked hard on learning the system in time for Week 1. Time will tell though. What athletes?

coach
08-26-2008, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by 3afan

i hope so...im goin to the opener sat. against langston...if they dont beat them im never watching another sfa game again

coach
08-26-2008, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
What athletes?

the same atheletes that has whopped texas the last two years

navscanmaster
08-26-2008, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
What athletes?

Sounds like a dig at BBDE. I bet if they offered you a scholarship, you would have taken it with a blush on your face and dropped your UT fix like a pizza box with a copperhead in it.

IHStangFan
08-26-2008, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
Sounds like a dig at BBDE. I bet if they offered you a scholarship, you would have taken it with a blush on your face and dropped your UT fix like a pizza box with a copperhead in it. LMAO!!! awesome!

Old Tiger
08-26-2008, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
Sounds like a dig at BBDE. I bet if they offered you a scholarship, you would have taken it with a blush on your face and dropped your UT fix like a pizza box with a copperhead in it. 2% :D

Macarthur
08-26-2008, 12:09 PM
UT - Lots of holes to fill. Will be pretty young. I think they are a good team, but not the elite level they have become accustomed. And I definately think they are rated too high coming into the season.

A&M - Who knows? Frankly, I would not be surprised if they go 9-3 or 5-7. They've got some talent in certain areas, but are really thin at depth is others (OL & LB come to mind). I actually think Sherman will do great things; it may just take a few years.

Tech - It will be interesting to see how they perform now that there are significant expectations put upon them. They've always enjoyed the role of being the underdog spoiler; now they are one of the big dogs.

OU - Really good. I think they are clearly the best team in the south and I'm not sold on Mizzou. I would not be surprised if they are undefeated going into the BCS.

Mizzou - Very good QB, but I still think Pinkle is an awful coach. I think the success they have had is in spite of him. At some point, this will catch up to them.

No one else in the North interests me.

Nationally:

USC will be there at the end.
Florida will have zero or one loss.
LSU - they or Florida may be in the BCS final.
OSU - I think the Big 10 will be weak this year so they could slip into the BCS final again.