PDA

View Full Version : Best places to eat for away games

lhpantherdad
08-24-2008, 11:49 PM
OK, one of the things I like to do is find new places to eat while traveling to away games. Of course there is always fast food and concessionstand food, but that gets old after a few weeks of travel for both freshman and varsity football games.

My favorites are:
Cuero - Longhorn Cafe (I think it was)
Blanco - Oso's (mexican food)
Llano - Cooper's BBQ
Elgin - Southside BBQ (Meyers BBQ a close 2nd)
Brownwood - Underwoods
Abilene - Buffalo Wild Wings

I do recall that Dripping Springs had the best concession food a few years back; fried catfish! mmmmmm

So come on folks. Let's hear your recommendations on fine football season dining.

Johnny 5
08-24-2008, 11:54 PM
Austin, Dallas, Houston, or San Antonio:

Texadelphia. Best damn cheesesteaks in the world.!

Nursebetty
08-25-2008, 12:26 AM
Okay...The Longhorn Restaurant is good in Cuero, but then there's Rosie's Mexican Restaurant, or Maya's (Mexican food). Not sure on the hours of the 2 latter ones.....can check and get back on that........it's all GOOD!

garciap77
08-25-2008, 07:06 AM
IN Texas it's HOOTERS!

In Sweetwater it's Allens!

LH Panther Mom
08-25-2008, 07:26 AM
Sort of off topic, but the worst is Denny's in Temple. The food was fine, but the service is very poor.

BILLYFRED0000
08-25-2008, 07:32 AM
If you are ever in Celina, Lucy's is great. Their fried jalapeno's and fried green tomatoes are great and they specialize in pies and stuff for desert. Casa Rivas is also good mexican food with good service.

K-MAC Chuck
08-25-2008, 07:36 AM
When in Llano, if you want GREAT Mexican food...

..go 15 miles east on Hwy. 29 and go to the Tamale King. It is WELL worth the trip!

AND..
I need (please) a good place in Abilene (making the trip with the K-MAC crew next week for the LH/AW clash!)...

Rocket
08-25-2008, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Johnny 5
Austin, Dallas, Houston, or San Antonio:

Texadelphia. Best damn cheesesteaks in the world.!

I hear this place is awesome! I migh have to go try it for lunch today... ;)

garciap77
08-25-2008, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by K-MAC Chuck
When in Llano, if you want GREAT Mexican food...

..go 15 miles east on Hwy. 29 and go to the Tamale King. It is WELL worth the trip!

AND..
I need (please) a good place in Abilene (making the trip with the K-MAC crew next week for the LH/AW clash!)...

If you like BARBEQUE.........Sharon's 849 E. HWY 80 near Judge Ely Blvd.

Closer to Wylie for Brisket..............Betty Rose little Brisket 3362 Rebecca Ln off Buffalo Gap Rd.

K-MAC Chuck
08-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by garciap77
If you like BARBEQUE.........Sharon's 849 E. HWY 80 near Judge Ely Blvd...Closer to Wylie for Brisket..............Betty Rose little Brisket 3362 Rebecca Ln off Buffalo Gap Rd.

How about if we want some Mexican or Tex/Mex? thanks! :D

Ranger Mom
08-25-2008, 08:04 AM
IN Texas it's HOOTERS!

In Sweetwater it's Allens!

I hope the rest of the Hooters are better than the one in Waco!!

The food was awful and the girls looked NOTHING like the calendar!!:p

Looking4number8
08-25-2008, 08:04 AM
Underwoods is great and has the out of town rep for brownwood but there are a couple of other awesome places.

Mexican food... Oh my... Gomez Restaurant is probally the best authenic mexican food in the state. Recipes have not changed since the 40's absooutly awesome and you will walk away absoutly stuffed

Steaks... hard to beat Humphrey Petes. Great steaks... my personal favorite is the Jalapeno Pork chops!!! Also cold cold beer

BBQ.. Love The Sticks BBQ for a good regular BBQ sandwich or realy BBQ dinner

All three are on the Highways and somewhat easy to find

garciap77
08-25-2008, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by K-MAC Chuck
How about if we want some Mexican or Tex/Mex? thanks! :D

Rosa's (beer)! I normally do not eat out for Mexican food. It's way better at home! :D Rosa's is about as close as it gets for me. Rest of my family likes TaMolly's (no Beer)which is west of the mall across from Buffalo Wild Wings.

garciap77
08-25-2008, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I hope the rest of the Hooters are better than the one in Waco!!

The food was awful and the girls looked NOTHING like the calendar!!:p

You know the Dennys in Waco was not that good either! I was just kidding about HOOTERS! But the beer is good there!:) And I'll really do not look at the girls there!;)

nobogey72
08-25-2008, 08:21 AM
Definitely the Whataburger in Brownwood/Early. Can catch up on all credible football info. The last time I was there, I ordered a double/double, but they were out. So, I had to eat a triple/triple. It made me burp.:D

garciap77
08-25-2008, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by nobogey72
Definitely the Whataburger in Brownwood/Early. Can catch up on all credible football info. The last time I was there, I ordered a double/double, but they were out. So, I had to eat a triple/triple. It made me burp.:D

:iagree: :iagree:

STANG RED
08-25-2008, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by lookingfornumbe
Underwoods is great and has the out of town rep for brownwood but there are a couple of other awesome places.

Mexican food... Oh my... Gomez Restaurant is probally the best authenic mexican food in the state. Recipes have not changed since the 40's absooutly awesome and you will walk away absoutly stuffed

Steaks... hard to beat Humphrey Petes. Great steaks... my personal favorite is the Jalapeno Pork chops!!! Also cold cold beer

BBQ.. Love The Sticks BBQ for a good regular BBQ sandwich or realy BBQ dinner

All three are on the Highways and somewhat easy to find

I'll take Humphrey Petes over Underwoods any day. It's been a few years for me, but if its only half as good as it was back then, thats still twice as good as Underwoods.
Is the Section Hand still open. I think thats what its called??? Again, its been a few years but that place was always pretty dang good. And it seems like there was a good BBQ place out there pretty close to it.

Black_Magic
08-25-2008, 09:00 AM
Rosa's (beer)! I normally do not eat out for Mexican food. It's way better at home! :D Rosa's is about as close as it gets for me. Rest of my family likes TaMolly's (no Beer)which is west of the mall across from Buffalo Wild Wings. Gag!!
I ate there once. Never again. Must have been a bad day to eat there. Abuelo's is good though IMO.

espn1
08-25-2008, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Rocket
I hear this place is awesome! I migh have to go try it for lunch today... ;) If you're in the Austin Area go to Delaware Sub! After you eat one od their Cheese Steaks you'll throw rocks at Texadelphia! Not even close!

DU_stud04
08-25-2008, 04:44 PM
mary's in stawn.... great chicken fried steak. about 3-4 miles off of I20 off of exit 361, defiantly worth the stop. other than that, im pretty happy with some wings and a few beers after the game.

Looking4number8
08-25-2008, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I'll take Humphrey Petes over Underwoods any day. It's been a few years for me, but if its only half as good as it was back then, thats still twice as good as Underwoods.
Is the Section Hand still open. I think thats what its called??? Again, its been a few years but that place was always pretty dang good. And it seems like there was a good BBQ place out there pretty close to it.

It is Section Hand and the BBQ place is The Sticks that I was talking about.

You have good taste my friend! Petes is my home away from home

Old Tiger
08-25-2008, 04:51 PM
In Rockdale if anyone ever comes you have The Ranch(Burgers and stuff), Bandas(Mexican), Piano Bar, El Torrito(Mexican), and Mr. Gattis.

CelinaCatFan
08-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Cooper's BBQ in Llano
Mary's in Strawn
Jake & Dorothy's in Stephenville

Johnny 5
08-25-2008, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Rocket
I hear this place is awesome! I migh have to go try it for lunch today... ;)

So'd you go?

wimbo_pro
08-25-2008, 08:07 PM
I think Rocket will be eating at the Crow's Nest.:)

Johnny 5
08-25-2008, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by espn1
If you're in the Austin Area go to Delaware Sub! After you eat one od their Cheese Steaks you'll throw rocks at Texadelphia! Not even close!

where is this place at?

sinfan75
08-25-2008, 09:57 PM
I know it's off the beaten path for you northern folk but if ya ever pass through Sinton in the morning hrs. try out Flores. Some of the biggest best breakfast tacos around and hot sauce'll definately wake ya up. They make it fresh every morning right there on the spot. A little of the main drag but worth finding.

Johnny 5
08-25-2008, 10:55 PM
If anyone can find a way to mail me some Texadelphia, I will pay you for it :D

Hill Man
08-25-2008, 11:03 PM
In Waco.. the Elite Cafe.. really good after a state championship win-- two years running
Chicken Fried Steak as big as your plate:D

Hill Man
08-25-2008, 11:06 PM
and the dawg pound at the Burnet stadium.. They really make a great burger..

Rabid Cougar
08-26-2008, 07:04 AM
Coffee Cup on 84 in McGregor.

grmfan93
08-26-2008, 07:20 AM
Graham just got a Montanas....that's what I would recomend

coachkiss
08-26-2008, 08:10 AM
My tailgate.

The best chili, tamales, brisket, kebabs, sausages, fried chicken, baked potatoes, and red beans and rice that you will have.

(Not all at one time.)

espn1
08-26-2008, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Johnny 5
where is this place at? Delaware Subs (http://www.delawaresub.com/stores.html)

Balcones fault
08-26-2008, 12:36 PM
Between Llano and Liberty Hill: Bertram Smoke Haus.

Abilene: Joe Allen's used to be really good, but don't know for sure after the divorce. The former Ms. Allen may have the better place now.

Sweetwater: Mrs. Allen's is a Texas classic, arguably the best on I-20, but open for lunch only I believe...bring your appetite.

Good call on Mary's in Straun for CFS, Jake and Dorothy's in Stephenville. Hard 8 is decent in S-ville also.

And then there is The Bluebonnet Cafe in Marble Falls...maybe the best in Texas and worth a side trip.

Taylor: Louis Mueller's or Taylor Cafe for 'que.

garciap77
08-26-2008, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by grmfan93
Graham just got a Montanas....that's what I would recomend

GRMFAN93! Have they reopened the "Hole in The Wall"? Last few times I've been there it was closed! And believe it or not, someone at the Wataburger(not funny) in Graham told me they had closed it down, and had reopened, and then closed back up, but that they were going to reopened again!:)

Old Tiger
08-26-2008, 12:51 PM
Over in Manor they have the 290 Cafe

grmfan93
08-26-2008, 01:13 PM
No they havnt opened it back up.....I think that guy got confused bc they opened another burger place but I havnt ate there yet

Daddy D 11
08-26-2008, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Balcones fault
Between Llano and Liberty Hill: Bertram Smoke Haus.

Abilene: Joe Allen's used to be really good, but don't know for sure after the divorce. The former Ms. Allen may have the better place now.

Sweetwater: Mrs. Allen's is a Texas classic, arguably the best on I-20, but open for lunch only I believe...bring your appetite.

Good call on Mary's in Straun for CFS, Jake and Dorothy's in Stephenville. Hard 8 is decent in S-ville also.

And then there is The Bluebonnet Cafe in Marble Falls...maybe the best in Texas and worth a side trip.

Taylor: Louis Mueller's or Taylor Cafe for 'que.

Those are all my favorite places! cant forget about Perrinis in Buffalo Gap..and Susans is Joe Allens ex-wifes place...its great:D

BwdLions
08-26-2008, 02:48 PM
GRMFAN93! Have they reopened the "Hole in The Wall"? Last few times I've been there it was closed! And believe it or not, someone at the Wataburger(not funny) in Graham told me they had closed it down, and had reopened, and then closed back up, but that they were going to reopened again!:)

The old Hole In The Wall is no longer open. However, there is another cafe in that location. It's called Country Kitchen Cafe. At least I think that's the correct name for it. It's okay, but too smokey in there. The Hole In The Wall in Newcastle is still open.

Bull19
08-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Over in Manor they have the 290 Cafe how's that place. i saw it a couple weeks ago and i almost stopped and tried it. what kinda of food, atmosphere, etc.?

GreenGobbla
08-26-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by espn1
Delaware Subs (http://www.delawaresub.com/stores.html)

i live one exit away from the one on william cannon. i might have to go try that later on...

BreckTxLonghorn
08-26-2008, 06:03 PM
Breckenridge: If you can get there early, go to Ken's Chicken & Fish. I recommend the half tenders/half southern style fish. And the onion rings. It's all good though; love that place.

If you're looking to eat after the game...Allsup's or McDonald's :).

Old Tiger
08-26-2008, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
how's that place. i saw it a couple weeks ago and i almost stopped and tried it. what kinda of food, atmosphere, etc.? country type foods?

like a roadhouse type atmosphere

Rabid Cougar
08-26-2008, 06:37 PM
Well in the old 17 3A all the schools were less than 20 miles from each other. Two of them were less than five miles. Sonic was the best we could do. The odd man out was Gatesville hence the Coffee Cup Cafe in McGregor.

BwdLion73
08-26-2008, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Those are all my favorite places! cant forget about Perrinis in Buffalo Gap..and Susans is Joe Allens ex-wifes place...its great:D

I think you mean Sharons Steak house on Judge Ely and Hwy36 (11th st.) thats Joes Ex. and I think from what I have heard she is putting him to shame.

Mcguirk
08-26-2008, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion73
I think you mean Sharons Steak house on Judge Ely and Hwy36 (11th st.) thats Joes Ex. and I think from what I have heard she is putting him to shame.

She also has a BarBQ place around the corner on Hwy 80 back towards downtown. I think it's called...Sharons. The jalepeno/corn casserole is excellent.
I still like the pizza from Joe's next door to Albertsons. Close to the Wylie stadium.
If you want Chinese go to Sczhuan on S 1st. I know everyone goes to the all you can eat buffet up the street, but a couple of years ago Sczhuan was picked as one of the 100 best Chinese Restaurants in America by a Chinese Restaurant Association.
If you want REAL mexican food go to Alfredo's (3 locations). It's not like a chain restaurant, and not fancy, but it will fill you up good. :D

Daddy D 11
08-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion73
yep, your'e right. dont know what i was typing:doh:

wimbo_pro
08-26-2008, 08:28 PM
Best Place to Eat in Wimberley...there isnt one!! There are no good places to eat in this town, much less great places to eat...one of the few "bad" things about living here. I call 'em as I see 'em!

trojan37
08-26-2008, 09:58 PM
For all you Celina folks traveling to Temple for the Lytle game, I have a buddy who has a place in Temple called Where It's At Barbque,Burgers and Brew. It's a little place, nothing fancy, but he has some great barbque. The address is 1805 East Adams in Temple. If you go there ask for Jerry and tell him Chris in West sent you.;)

crabman
08-26-2008, 10:44 PM
Is the Side Door Restaurant in Sinton still open? That is the only restaurant I have ever been to that had a Bean Bar in addition to a Salad Bar. Huge pot of pinto beans with jalapenos and onions and a big old pan of cornbread. You don't even need a meal.

Necks_Fan
08-26-2008, 10:48 PM
This is not "3a sports."

It is clearly a food thread. Just because it relates to after a football game makes it sports talk?

I could say, well last week at the football game......... I had to pee.

And it would be sports?:thinking:

wimbo_pro
08-26-2008, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan

I could say, well last week at the football game......... I had to pee.

And it would be sports?:thinking:

If you shook it more than three times...yes.

Hill Man
08-27-2008, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
Best Place to Eat in Wimberley...there isnt one!! There are no good places to eat in this town, much less great places to eat...one of the few "bad" things about living here. I call 'em as I see 'em!

right you are wimbro.. I always amazes me how there are really no good eat joints in wimberley. Common.. its suppose to be a tourist stop..
Having to travel there several times a year for various sport match ups we try to plan for a stop at the Salt Lick in Driftwood on the way (great BBQ) but usually have to settle for the subway near the school.. :(