PDA

View Full Version : Sealy vs. Second Baptist

Tiger4Ever
08-23-2008, 11:00 PM
Sealy will see what they are made of when Houston Second Baptist comes to town. I don't know much about Second Baptist so can someone help me out??

Necked
08-23-2008, 11:58 PM
They have a good QB & receiver combo, some size & a little bit of speed. I'd say they are a typical private school, a handfull of better than average players, then a severe drop off of talent after that. They are not at the Jesuits, Dallas Bishop, St. Pius X level of competiton, but they are not dogs either. If Sealy farts around, they could get upset, but I recon Sealy will walk away in the 2nd half when all is said & done....

Tiger4Ever
08-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Thanks for your input. Sealy will not allow Second Baptist's QB much time to throw because of a substantial pass rush and Sealy's offense will take care of business.

Bull's-eye
08-24-2008, 09:45 AM
Sealy should win this game easily, probably 4-5 TD's.

Tiger4Ever
08-24-2008, 02:15 PM
Sealy will win by a downright blowout.

Necks_Fan
08-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Tiger4Ever
Sealy will win by a downright blowout. Don't get too cocky....

Sealy didn't look good against a VERY bad Stafford team, so don't count your chickens before they hatch.

KL3
08-24-2008, 02:32 PM
Second Baptist has maybe top Jr. QB in the state. 6'4" 200 Connor Wood. Getting recruited by every major school in the country.

Necks_Fan
08-24-2008, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by KL3
Second Baptist has maybe top Jr. QB in the state. 6'4" 200 Connor Wood. Getting recruited by every major school in the country. Yea, I would say Sealy might lose this game based on their scrimmages, but who knows....

Tiger4Ever
08-24-2008, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Don't get too cocky....

Sealy didn't look good against a VERY bad Stafford team, so don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Stafford may have looked bad and had attitude issues, but during the Sealy scrimmage Stafford was much more physical on the d-line than expected and then add a few early-season mental goof-ups from Sealy and then you get the opinion that both teams are bad. Sealy's offense began that scrimmage slow but against Houston Sterling a week later they only had one out of the first 30 plays that resulted in negative yards. The result of the first play alone was a 70-yard TD run.

zebrablue2
08-24-2008, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Tiger4Ever
Sealy will win by a downright blowout.

just like a rookie, setting yourself up are ya??? what in your eyes is a blowout???

rancher
08-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Sealy in a rout, at home and against a very weak team.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-24-2008, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by rancher
Sealy in a rout, at home and against a very weak team.

You wont hear sealy fans saying they beat a very weak team, they will make it sound like they just beat the best team of all times. Playing these teams will get the tigers ready!

scotty
08-25-2008, 06:33 AM
Sealy and Bellville and all the rest of the D25-3A teams in their six-team district have had scheduling woes. When you have to schedule five non-district games and you try to hold it within a traveling budget, it gets tough. There are only so many teams within a rural area who are available. And the strength or weakness of the TAAPS teams is up in the air. If you look at Sealy’s past, during the Mills era, the Tigers scheduled Second Baptist, St. Thomas and maybe some other such teams. And what did they do? Wasn’t there one stretch when they went 63-1 and won four straight state championships? Back then those TAAPS teams were pretty good. I watched Bellville play the Katy Christian team last year and they held their own against the Brahmas for a good while. Former BB your obsession over Sealy has me worried, you better get hold of yourself or you may fall out of one of those trees.

I_DONT_CARE
08-25-2008, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by scotty
I watched Bellville play the Katy Christian team last year and they held their own against the Brahmas for a good while. :thinking: :thinking: IRONIC HOW THE SCHEDULING IS HELD AGAINST SEALY. :rolleyes:

Highschoolfan78
08-25-2008, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
just like a rookie, setting yourself up are ya??? what in your eyes is a blowout???

When you run over something and you tire goes boom.. Your car shakes frantically and you try to safely pull over. Then your stuck trying to change it, but you don't have any tools because you were heading to a business meeting. People drive by laughing at you without pulling over to help. You try to call someone, but you realize you are in bodunk country with 0 bars. Eventually someone lends a hand and you drive on a scrappy spare for 30 miles to the nearest WAL-MART. You get there to want to replace your tire, but they inform you that it will take 2 to 3 hours to replace it. You're now stuck in a small town's Wal-Mart with plentiful time to gaze each and every aisle.

Tiger Turtle
08-25-2008, 08:29 AM
Second Baptist always presented a strong challenge in the past, even to the great Sealy 4peat teams. Remember, the privates don't have to adhere to the UIL attendance zone rules and often manage to bring in really good players. I had a friend whose son played for Second Baptist during the mid-90s and he got a D1 scholarship. They lived about 25 miles away from the school, which is not unusual for out in the country, but they were in the big H. According to what I was told by the players in those days, the private schools played pretty dirty, lots of scratching, biting, and eyebal gouging in the pileups. Being the first game, I wouldn't look for a real big score, although Sealy should win. I'll be there to see what transpires.

Bull's-eye
08-25-2008, 10:31 AM
[B]I watched Bellville play the Katy Christian team last year and they held their own against the Brahmas for a good while.[B]

Bellville did not play Katy Christian, they did play Houston Christian. I do agree on the difficulties of scheduling and Sealy came from a larger district, forcing them to scramble for 5 non-district games.

Phil C
08-25-2008, 11:19 AM
Tiger, I admire the Baptist Church.

Tiger Turtle
08-25-2008, 02:29 PM
Phil - I also admire the Baptist church (even though I personally am a Methodist), but did you ever hear Jerry Clower's story about playing against Baylor? "..the meek shall inherit the Earth, and I had just inherited a mouth plumb full of it..."

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-25-2008, 09:25 PM
Former BB your obsession over Sealy has me worried, you better get hold of yourself

After you turn 71 you sould have no more worries. Just worrie about being a good sportswriter!

CenTexSports
08-25-2008, 09:31 PM
I think 2nd Baptist has an old friend of mine coaching there. He won a lot of games at Aledo and a State Championship at Grapevine.

If he has the players, it will not be a blowout.

Necks_Fan
08-25-2008, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
After you turn 71 you sould have no more worries. Just worrie about being a good sportswriter! Lol. I tried to tell ya the same thing and I dang near got cussed... What's up with that?

rancher
08-26-2008, 08:50 AM
The coach at Second Baptist is that coach, I know that he tried to get a head job at several schools all over the state. Yet he could not land a public school job. That should tell you something. He was hired by a personal friend of his who took the AD job at the same time. I know and like both of them, but facts are facts.

rancher
08-26-2008, 01:17 PM
I also recall that when the coach left Grapevine, he took the head job at Weatherford and was ask to leave after a few years. Has been out of coaching since then until the job he has now.

Bull's-eye
08-26-2008, 03:00 PM
Former BB your obsession over Sealy has me worried, you better get hold of yourself or you may fall out of one of those trees.

You calling FBB a monkey? :D

scotty
08-26-2008, 04:38 PM
Nope Bullseye, occupational hazard.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-26-2008, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
I think 2nd Baptist has an old friend of mine coaching there. He won a lot of games at Aledo and a State Championship at Grapevine.

If he has the players, it will not be a blowout.

He,s good, had a brother that coached aginst him years back, and he said he knew his football.

Bull's-eye
08-26-2008, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
He,s good, had a brother that coached aginst him years back, and he said he knew his football.

Is your brother still coaching? The last time I spoke with him, he said he was going to retire when he turned 60.

Tiger4Ever
08-30-2008, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Tiger Turtle
[ According to what I was told by the players in those days, the private schools played pretty dirty, lots of scratching, biting, and eyebal gouging in the pileups. [/B]

Last night Second Baptist had questionable conduct that included defensive holding, facemasks, pass interference, and the usual late hits and cheap shots. What was amazing is that they where able to get away with all this...