View Full Version : Vernon vs Wylie

garciap77
08-23-2008, 05:34 PM
This will be a close game. Wylie by 7.

STANG RED
08-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
This will be a close game. Wylie by 7.

You just didnt want to sound too homerish. I'll say Wylie by 20.;)

Stangs325
08-23-2008, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
You just didnt want to sound too homerish. I'll say Wylie by 20.;)

haha i agree. vernon is solid but not as solid as usual. unless wylie's whole team comes up sick. wylie gets the easy W

SNYDER325TIGERS
08-23-2008, 06:55 PM
I'll say Wylie by 20 from what I hear from the Sweetwater folks, or Sweetwater is the real deal this year?

RMAC
08-23-2008, 06:58 PM
Not so much a rebuilding year for Vernon, but not top caliber as they usually are even this early in the season. That means they'll probably only go 2 rounds deep this year. I'll say Wylie gets the W by 10.

Sweetwater Red
08-23-2008, 07:03 PM
After witnessing the scrimmage Thursday night, I'll say Wylie
rolls, as I remember what could've been if it wasn't for not Eric Favors.:D

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-23-2008, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
After witnessing the scrimmage Thursday night, I'll say Wylie
rolls, as I remember what could've been if it wasn't for not Eric Favors.:D

He (Eric) was a great player for us. He is a senior this year at Southeastern Oklahoma where he has won at least two conference rings.

I remember him batting that pass down intended for Sweetwater's TCU star.

Favors also had several great runs in that game.

Sweetwater Red
08-23-2008, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
He (Eric) was a great player for us. He is a senior this year at Southeastern Oklahoma where he has won at least two conference rings.

I remember him batting that pass down intended for Sweetwater's TCU star.

Favors also had several great runs in that game.

Yep he gave away probably 5 or 6 inches to Giles and Eric was
almost flat footed when he knocked the pass down.:clap:

Whiteside also had a few good runs. How many Whitesides do
ya'll have anyway? It seems one comes though every three
years.:D

VWG
08-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Echols and Whiteside need more help..... Wylie by 3 TD's.

Johnny Moxen
08-25-2008, 09:48 AM
I say Wylie by 10.

lion75
08-26-2008, 01:24 PM
Vernon is younger and not quite as big as last year. They are having to replace their entire secondary and the district mvp at QB. These are definitely challenging times , but Vernon has a good system and usually improves as the season progresses. With all that being said, Texas Football Magazine is showing Wylie to have only 4 returning starters on both sides of the ball. I know they always have depth and an excellent JV, but I would like to know more about them before I stick my neck out on a prediction. Can someone tell me a little bit more about Wylie?

Sweetwater Red
08-26-2008, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by lion75
Vernon is younger and not quite as big as last year. They are having to replace their entire secondary and the district mvp at QB. These are definitely challenging times , but Vernon has a good system and usually improves as the season progresses. With all that being said, Texas Football Magazine is showing Wylie to have only 4 returning starters on both sides of the ball. I know they always have depth and an excellent JV, but I would like to know more about them before I stick my neck out on a prediction. Can someone tell me a little bit more about Wylie?

Straight from the Big Bulldog himself.

http://reporternews.com/videos/detail/football-preview-wylies-coach-hugh-sandifer/

Btw on my post about Eric Favors. I meant to say he was
almost flat footed BEFORE HE MADE THE 48" VERICLE JUMP to
knock the ball down.:doh:

Texasfootball2
08-26-2008, 02:16 PM

Returning starters at Wylie are misleading. Last year there where 12 to 14 Juniors who played a big role on both offense and defense. Coach Sandifer often list Seniors as starters just because their seniors even though an underclassman will take 75% of the reps. Wylie JV was undefeated and only had two competive games, Frenship who they beat by 1 and then what looked like a close game at Clyde because Clyde score 3 fourth TD's on backups who were playing because Wylie had a four TD lead after three quater's. To Clyde's credit they play their tails off after Wylie let them back in the game and the bulldogs had to fight to hang on to the victory. The JV also had "6" shutouts last year, so there are some really good juniors that will also play this year.

I was at the Monohans scrimmage and like most Wylie scrimmages, Sandifer only runs about five or six different plays on offense. Both defenses looked very good, especially up front. Neither team was able to move the ball on the ground. Wylie opened it up at the end and put a quick late TD to tie the game in the situational part. Kind of hard to read this team. I feel like they have a chance to very good and like all Sandifer teams, they will get better every week and sometimes every quater. They have a lot of team speed and the Jennings kid is a stud at LB.

Prediction: Wylie by 12

blowfish
08-26-2008, 02:54 PM
I concur with TeasFootball2... The thing that stood out to me was how fast we seem this year. there are some big shoes to fill on defense but based on what I saw at the scrimmage this team will get better every week. I have a feeling this team is going to be alot like last year. they may drop a couple close ones in pre-district and then they will start moving in district to make another long run in the playoffs.

I think the talented teams we play in pre district every year get us ready for district and the playoffs.

With us playing B-wood, Graham, Synder, S-water in district this year the tougher pre district schedule will make us better when it really counts.

Johnny Moxen
08-26-2008, 03:24 PM
I agree with the previous post. On offense, Wylie will return at least 7 players that saw significant playing time last year. On defense, at least 8 players with playing time. By playing time, I am NOT talking about "mop up duty".

From my perspective, Wylie runs a pro offense and pro defense (meaning multiple formations) that are very flexable and adaptable to each game and each opponent. I believe that this years team is MORE talented than last years team. Look for a 50/50 split of run to pass on offense. On defense, hard hitting with speed. very good secondary capable of turnovers if Vernon has an arerial attack.

nobogey72
08-26-2008, 04:15 PM
Wylie has a lot of inexperience at cheerleader this year. I saw several underclasswomen on the list. I did watch them work out the other day and their herkeys look a little ragged and out of whack. However, there is one short blonde that adds a 1/2 twist to her back flips which to me is unreal. Wow, a real crowd pleaser. I think we should match up very well with Vernon's cheerleaders. Even though they are usually snuff -dippin, big boned, and unorganized, they usually make up for it with a lot of raw athletic ability.:D :D :D

lion75
08-26-2008, 09:56 PM
Well. now I have enough info to make a prediction. According to all of the reports that have been coming in, Vernon has no chance. How is it that Wylie had 39 seniors last year when Vernon didn't have 39 players. Anyway, just to be a contrarian, I'll stick my neck WAY out and take Vernon in a monumental upset at Lion Stadium, 26-24. (Vernon misses 2 PATs)

injuredinmelee
08-26-2008, 10:19 PM
I couldnt believe the number of kids playing 7th and 8th grade football this year. For those of you that werent at Meet the Bulldog there are 96 kids in 7th out for ball and 75 or so in 8th grade.

lion75
08-26-2008, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I couldnt believe the number of kids playing 7th and 8th grade football this year. For those of you that werent at Meet the Bulldog there are 96 kids in 7th out for ball and 75 or so in 8th grade. Vernon doesn't have 96 males in the 7th grade

Rocket
08-26-2008, 11:37 PM
I couldnt believe the number of kids playing 7th and 8th grade football this year. For those of you that werent at Meet the Bulldog there are 96 kids in 7th out for ball and 75 or so in 8th grade.

Hello 4A...

slingshot
08-26-2008, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Rocket
Hello 4A... Doubt it... total enrollment grades 1-12 is only up 12 students this year compared to last on opening day.

Texasfootball2
08-27-2008, 11:09 AM

I know I've said this before. Yes, 96 kids is a lot but they always have around 85 +/- kids every year. The participation percentage in the 7th grade is about 87%. There are 225 kids in the 7th grade so if half were boys 87% are playing football. That has always been the case at Wylie. Even in high school about 40% of the male population is still playing football. Enrollment #'s are impossible to hide since they are public knowledge. Vernon has 603 students as compare to Wylies 956. If you do the math and assume that each class has around 152 kids in it. If 87% of 7th grade boys played football they would have 65 boys in their program.

In comparison, last year Abilene High had about 18% participation with about 175 boys out for football 9-12th(And they are considered a very successful 5A program). Wylie and Abilene High had almost the same numbers out. Cooper's participation #'s have been very bad the past few years.

Whine all you want, we've heard it before but the facts are what they are and the numbers don't lie. Coach Sandifer has built a very successful program that kids grow up wanting to be a part of. Many kids play from 7th - 12th grade even though they hardly ever get to play, but they stay with it because Sandifer makes every kid feel like he is important and has a place. A lot of coaches could care less if kids don't come back out as 9th and 10th graders but "H" cares and they know that.

As long as they keep building new 5A and 4A schools in the metro areas the cutoff line for 3A will continue to rise.

VWG
08-27-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
I know I've said this before. Yes, 96 kids is a lot but they always have around 85 +/- kids every year. The participation percentage in the 7th grade is about 87%. There are 225 kids in the 7th grade so if half were boys 87% are playing football. That has always been the case at Wylie. Even in high school about 40% of the male population is still playing football. Enrollment #'s are impossible to hide since they are public knowledge. Vernon has 603 students as compare to Wylies 956. If you do the math and assume that each class has around 152 kids in it. If 87% of 7th grade boys played football they would have 65 boys in their program.

In comparison, last year Abilene High had about 18% participation with about 175 boys out for football 9-12th(And they are considered a very successful 5A program). Wylie and Abilene High had almost the same numbers out. Cooper's participation #'s have been very bad the past few years.

Whine all you want, we've heard it before but the facts are what they are and the numbers don't lie. Coach Sandifer has built a very successful program that kids grow up wanting to be a part of. Many kids play from 7th - 12th grade even though they hardly ever get to play, but they stay with it because Sandifer makes every kid feel like he is important and has a place. A lot of coaches could care less if kids don't come back out as 9th and 10th graders but "H" cares and they know that.

As long as they keep building new 5A and 4A schools in the metro areas the cutoff line for 3A will continue to rise.

Thanks for the info.
Now go hide some more kids. :kiss:

Texasfootball2
08-27-2008, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by VWG
Thanks for the info.

No need right now. Probably start that process in April of '09. It takes several months to complete the process. Right now were trying to get maximum use out of all the extra kids. Especially those that play trombone. I heard we were a little short on trombone players last year.

michaelp23
08-27-2008, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by VWG
Thanks for the info.

I love all the Wylie haters on here. It just proves that we are a part of a great school district and football program. It's just like everything else in life.... Success breeds petty jealousy from others who wish they had what you have.

So keep it up haters, it makes me proud to be a Wylie Bulldog!

By the way, notice that not one person has ever produced one shred of evidence to back up their conspiracy claims (except the occasional, "My wife's mom's second cousin has a friend who is dating a janitor at Wylie's Admin building and he says........")

:doh: :doh: :doh:

garciap77
08-27-2008, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Rocket
Hello 4A...

:D :D :D ;)

garciap77
08-27-2008, 01:19 PM
Well. now I have enough info to make a prediction. According to all of the reports that have been coming in, Vernon has no chance. How is it that Wylie had 39 seniors last year when Vernon didn't have 39 players. Anyway, just to be a contrarian, I'll stick my neck WAY out and take Vernon in a monumental upset at Lion Stadium, 26-24. (Vernon misses 2 PATs)

:iagree:

I see it as a close game, but I'll say Wylie by 7!:)

lion75
08-28-2008, 09:16 AM
Does Wylie have a radio broadcast for the game?

RedWhiteBlue
08-28-2008, 09:40 AM
I heard they did at one time, lion75. It seems like I remember some big scandal surrounding that program a few years back or maybe that was some other guys. But it seemed like it involved a drill team, some twirlers, cotton candy and a beer bong- but I am not for sure. Ask some of the Wylie guys and they may can tell you......:thinking:

Texasfootball2
08-28-2008, 09:40 AM
Yes, both on the radio and internet I believe. I will have to look up the stations and website though.

Can't really get a good feel for this game. Can't get a good read on this years team yet. With only one scrimmage it's hard to predict how they will play in the first game. Any victory would be a good one early, especially with the murders row schedule.

Texasfootball2
08-28-2008, 09:41 AM
Yes, both on the radio and internet I believe. I will have to look up the stations and website though.

Can't really get a good feel for this game. Can't get a good read on this years team yet. With only one scrimmage it's hard to predict how they will play in the first game. Any victory would be a good one early, especially with the murders row schedule.

Texasfootball2
08-28-2008, 09:47 AM

I know I predicted Wylie by 12 in a earlier post, but that was before I found out that they may have lost one of there best and most explosive players for the year. Not going to say who, but it will be interesting to see how they do without him.

lion75
08-28-2008, 10:27 AM
I know I predicted Wylie by 12 in a earlier post, but that was before I found out that they may have lost one of there best and most explosive players for the year. Not going to say who, but it will be interesting to see how they do without him. You are trying to bait us. They haven't lost anyone

TinyTim
08-28-2008, 10:53 AM
You are trying to bait us. They haven't lost anyone

I heard he is week to week. Just definitely out this week.

RedWhiteBlue
08-28-2008, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by TinyTim
I heard he is week to week. Just definitely out this week.
Who is it, Texas or Tiny?:thinking:

RedWhiteBlue
08-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Also, Tiny- saw Groves worked out again yesterday. Glad to see him back working out. Did you know that he had been out for a bit?

Texasfootball2
08-28-2008, 11:01 AM
I heard he is week to week. Just definitely out this week. He is a great player. They may have depth but he will be hard to replace on both sides of the ball. So the rumor of him being out for the year is not completely true, and thats encouraging.

Texasfootball2
08-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
Who is it, Texas or Tiny?:thinking:

I really hate to say. Don't won't coach Sandifer to come looking for me because I was doleing out info on the internet.

nobogey72
08-28-2008, 11:03 AM

Boy, do they ever! One of the best ever. You should hear them. They sound like Brad Shamm and Babe (Lauphenberg?). I hear that CBS and all the major networks have tried to hire them to work NFL games but they don't want to leave Abilene. That's what I heard down at the Whataburger. :D

TinyTim
08-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by nobogey72
Boy, do they ever! One of the best ever. You should hear them. They sound like Brad Shamm and Babe (Lauphenberg?). I hear that CBS and all the major networks have tried to hire them to work NFL games but they don't want to leave Abilene. That's what I heard down at the Whataburger. :D

What station are y, they on this year?

TinyTim
08-28-2008, 11:09 AM
Also, Tiny- saw Groves worked out again yesterday. Glad to see him back working out. Did you know that he had been out for a bit?

Yes I did and yes it is.

nobogey72
08-28-2008, 11:15 AM
What station are y, they on this year?

98.1 FM

RedWhiteBlue
08-28-2008, 11:23 AM
So the scandal about the drill team, the twirlers, the cotton candy, the beer bong and the flute at band camp had nothing to do with the Wylie radio show guys?? Are you sure? I had heard they were some toothless, beer drinkin' bassackwards nobody's originally from the Brownwood area.....
Guess I better check my sources better!!!:rolleyes:
98.1, huh? I guess I might tune in and listen some time.

DaHop72
08-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Boy, do they ever! One of the best ever. You should hear them. They sound like Brad Shamm and Babe (Lauphenberg?). I hear that CBS and all the major networks have tried to hire them to work NFL games but they don't want to leave Abilene. That's what I heard down at the Whataburger. :D :thinking: :thinking: Rumor at the Whataburger I go to is that they are in line to replace "Mike and Mike in the morning".:D :D

garciap77
08-28-2008, 11:36 AM
I heard they did at one time, lion75. It seems like I remember some big scandal surrounding that program a few years back or maybe that was some other guys. But it seemed like it involved a drill team, some twirlers, cotton candy and a beer bong- but I am not for sure. Ask some of the Wylie guys and they may can tell you......:thinking:
:lies: :lies:
:stirpot:
:1popcorn: :1popcorn:

Wylie does nothing, but GOOD!

nobogey72
08-28-2008, 11:37 AM
So the scandal about the drill team, the twirlers, the cotton candy, the beer bong and the flute at band camp had nothing to do with the Wylie radio show guys?? Are you sure? I had heard they were some toothless, beer drinkin' bassackwards nobody's originally from the Brownwood area.....

That's a lie! There was no Cotton Candy. Swear!:rolleyes:

garciap77
08-28-2008, 11:41 AM

Go to BW/Early's Wataburger, And you will find the truth!:D

RedWhiteBlue
08-28-2008, 11:46 AM
Where do you think I 'read' this? It was on the orange tiled wall in the women's restroom at the Whataburger!!! Leona's sister's daughter wrote it there and she was on the drill team.....
You know it has to be the truth!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

nobogey72
08-28-2008, 11:50 AM

And, it wasn't a flute, it was an oboe. You obviously got some bad info.:rolleyes:

garciap77
08-28-2008, 11:50 AM
Where do you think I 'read' this? It was on the orange tiled wall in the women's restroom at the Whataburger!!! Leona's sister's daughter wrote it there and she was on the drill team.....
You know it has to be the truth!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

:D

Mcguirk
08-28-2008, 12:30 PM

Would that be the same team who announced that a certain town's (won't name where) homecoming queen was wearing a Copenhagen gimme cap at half time, and once got an invitation to visit Merkel (from a Merkel mom), after a Wylie/Merkel football game broadcast?:thinking:

garciap77
08-28-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Mcguirk
Would that be the same team who announced that a certain town's (won't name where) homecoming queen was wearing a Copenhagen gimme cap at half time, and once got an invitation to visit Merkel (from a Merkel mom), after a Wylie/Merkel football game broadcast?:thinking:

:D :D :D

lion75
08-28-2008, 12:50 PM
98.1 FM I am reading a lot of conflicting info on the net. One sight has it as KTLT in Anson and another has it as KKHR in Abilene and I have found no website or webcast. Any ideas? I will have to try and webcast it from Plano.

RedWhiteBlue
08-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Mcguirk
Merkel? Did someone say Merkel???:confused:

Texasfootball2
08-28-2008, 02:12 PM
I am reading a lot of conflicting info on the net. One sight has it as KTLT in Anson and another has it as KKHR in Abilene and I have found no website or webcast. Any ideas? I will have to try and webcast it from Plano.

Sorry Lion75, I may have misinformed you. There is a website call "gofridaynight.com" that has been advertising that they were going to do a live audio stream for the AHS, CHS, and Wylie games. It looks you can hear the Abilene High games and Cooper games, but they are only going to "transcribe" the Wylie games. I know it's not the same as listening but they do a really good job of get the info typed up in pretty good detail. It is essentially the radio broadcast being trascribed word for word.

Hope this helps you out in some way.

blowfish
08-28-2008, 02:46 PM
Go to abilenewyliebulldogs.com on the leftside of the page you will see the broadcast info for the Bulldogs. Any questions PM me.

WylieBulldog92
08-28-2008, 10:46 PM
He is a great player. They may have depth but he will be hard to replace on both sides of the ball. So the rumor of him being out for the year is not completely true, and thats encouraging.

Yesterday the (player) told me he was going to be back for next week for sure, he can sprint fine though it's more precaution than anything at this point.

nobogey72
08-29-2008, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by WylieBulldog92
Yesterday the (player) told me he was going to be back for next week for sure, he can sprint fine though it's more precaution than anything at this point.

That's encouraging. He is one of those that is capable of making a difference in a team's W/L record. A difference maker.

lion75
08-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Sorry Lion75, I may have misinformed you. There is a website call "gofridaynight.com" that has been advertising that they were going to do a live audio stream for the AHS, CHS, and Wylie games. It looks you can hear the Abilene High games and Cooper games, but they are only going to "transcribe" the Wylie games. I know it's not the same as listening but they do a really good job of get the info typed up in pretty good detail. It is essentially the radio broadcast being trascribed word for word.

Hope this helps you out in some way. Thanks, Texasfootball2, and you too, blowfish.

Texasfootball2
08-29-2008, 09:39 AM
Would any of the Vernon posters on this website want to meet up during halftime of the game tonight. I always enjoy being able to put a face with a signature.

BwdLions
08-29-2008, 10:20 AM

Early doesn't have a Whataburger (or Wataburger as you like to say). It's in Brownwood. ;)

lion75
08-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Would any of the Vernon posters on this website want to meet up during halftime of the game tonight. I always enjoy being able to put a face with a signature. I can't make this one, but thanks for the offer.

LH Panther Mom
08-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Would any of the Vernon posters on this website want to meet up during halftime of the game tonight. I always enjoy being able to put a face with a signature.
fury900 will have the shirt, so hopefully some of you folks (both sides) can make it. :)

Texasfootball2
08-29-2008, 11:35 AM
I can't make this one, but thanks for the offer. Being from Plano I guess will excuse you this time:D

garciap77
08-29-2008, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by BwdLions
Early doesn't have a Whataburger (or Wataburger as you like to say). It's in Brownwood. ;)

Hey! Thanks!:D

Next time I eat there I'll let them Early Fans know that!;)

P.S. Good luck in SA! Hope you kick some butt!:)

lion75
08-30-2008, 06:29 AM
http://web.timesrecordnews.com/pdf/sports.pdf cool picture and article from the game