PDA

View Full Version : Rio Hondo vs Robstown/Port Isabel vs CC West Oso

Johnny 5
08-23-2008, 03:31 PM
How do you guys see these two games playing out?

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-23-2008, 04:07 PM
RH vs. Robstown is a toss up, mainly because no one knows what to expect from Robstown now that they're in 3A.

PI vs. CC West Oso - Port Isabel hasn't looked very good in their 2 scrimmages at all. Unless they can get it together by next Friday, CC West Oso will have the advantage.

SintonFan_inAustin
08-23-2008, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by TarponFanInNorthTexas
RH vs. Robstown is a toss up, mainly because no one knows what to expect from Robstown now that they're in 3A.

PI vs. CC West Oso - Port Isabel hasn't looked very good in their 2 scrimmages at all. Unless they can get it together by next Friday, CC West Oso will have the advantage. :iagree:

footballgal
08-26-2008, 09:51 AM
Rio Hondo's James offers views on PI-West Oso
August 25, 2008 - 8:25PM
By ARMANDO GARZA

Rocky James is in his first season as head coach at Rio Hondo but has extensively seen and prepared for the Port Isabel Tarpons. James took time to talk with the Valley Morning Star's Armando Garza about the Star and Brownsville Herald's Week Zero Game of the Week between the Tarpons and Corpus Christi West Oso.

Q: What do you know about West Oso?
A: I don't know much about them, to be honest. I haven't seen them play.

Q: What's the mindset of a team playing against a squad from out of the Valley?
A: For this type of game, you really want to beat someone from up north, but you also want to have fun.

Q: What do expect from Port Isabel?
A: I always expect great things from them. PI always starts slow every year, but as the season goes on, they just get better and better. If they lose all their non-district games, they're still going to be standing there at the end. They're very well-coached.

Q: What makes PI's Monty Stumbaugh such a great coach?
A: Stumpy's a great motivator and he's been successful. He doesn't take crap from anyone and he runs his program the way he wants it run. Monty really enjoys PI Football.

Q: Your Bobcats are playing three non-district games against non-Valley opponents. What do teams look for out of these games besides the "W"?
A: You go into these games wanting to win, and you prepare to win, no matter what. But the main thing is that your team gets better. If you can watch the game film and walk away feeling that your team got better that night, that's all coaches want. You want your players to be pushed.

Q: Prediction?
A: I think PI can win this game. I know they played them tight last year (a 20-14 OT loss). So they'll be fine.

Armando Garza covers football for Valley Freedom Newspapers. He can be reached at armandog@valleystar.com

VMS AND BROWNSVILLE HERALD GAME OF THE WEEK
WEEK ZERO
CC WEST OSO AT PORT ISABEL
WHEN: 7:30 p.m., Friday
WHERE: Tarpon Stadium, Port Isabel (grass)
TICKETS: Are $6 for reserved. $4 general admission. $3 for students. For more information, call (956) 943-0110.
LAST MEETING: West Oso 20, Port Isabel 14, OT (2007)
SERIES HISTORY: Other than last year, unknown
OF NOTE: The two teams played into overtime last season, with West Oso winning a 20-14 decision at West Oso. ... The Bears are known for their speed. Shedrick Howard averaged over 100 yards per outing last year. David Fox and Markeith Smith join him to form a fast backfield... The Tarpons will have a new QB in Kyle De Moss ... Tarpon Stadium suffered minor damage from Hurricane Dolly, notably the famous sign proclaiming PI's sucess over the years. PI has had only one losing season since 1972.

http://www.rgvsports.com/articles/game_2547___article.html/want_valley.html

nfcfan
08-26-2008, 04:43 PM
RH over Robstown by 10+

PI in an upset over CC W-O by 6

:cool:

Where r the CC WO peeps?

How did their scrimmages go?

piratebg
08-26-2008, 04:44 PM
RH over Robstowns by 14.

PI over WO by 10. No need to dub this one an upset.

Mid80'sTarpon
08-26-2008, 06:26 PM
I don't know if PI will take this one. I haven't seen any of the scrimmages, but from what I hear, the Tarpons need to grow up and grow up quickly.

nfcfan
08-26-2008, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
RH over Robstowns by 14.

PI over WO by 10. No need to dub this one an upset.

They beat PI in OT last yr and they bring back a lot more starters, PI graduated 1/2 of their offense Production in RB, Nolan Nunez and QB Alaniz.

AP has CC WO as #15.

piratebg spill the beans whats goin on with West Oso?

texansfan
08-27-2008, 01:43 AM
Game of the Week? Nice. If PI can keep WO off the field with long drives, it will be close.

RH should have no issues with Robstown.

KingRob
08-27-2008, 02:34 AM
I'm going to say:

RH - 28
Robstown - 13

CC West Oso - 20
PI - 17

footballgal
08-27-2008, 08:36 AM
Who's DeMoss?
http://images.onset.freedom.com/rgvsports/medium/k68i8j-piqb.jpg

http://epaper.valleystar.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=VMS/2008/08/27/15/Img/Pc0150300.jpg
Junior QB hoping to land starting role with Tarpons
August 26, 2008 - 7:48PM
By ARMANDO GARZA
RGVSports.com
PORT ISABEL - Kyle DeMoss knows there's plenty of work to do.

And the new Port Isabel quarterback is determined to get it done.

A year after calling the signals for the Tarpons junior varsity, DeMoss has moved up to the big leagues.

The junior's quest begins Friday night in the Valley Morning Star/Brownsville Herald Game of the Week against West Oso.

"I've waited for my time," DeMoss said. "Now it's time to take advantage of it."

Instantly, DeMoss has become a focal point of Port Isabel's well-versed football community and their lofty goals.

"I went to Wal-Mart one time and someone came up to me and asked if I was gonna be the quarterback," DeMoss said. "So I've got a lot of people noticing me. So there's big expectations. And I have to do my job."

While steadily improving in the team's first scrimmages, DeMoss has some competition for the spot. Senior Alex Herrera, who tossed a TD pass in last Friday's scrimmage vs. Mercedes, is on his heels, pushing him every day.

"We've got high expectations for him (DeMoss). Right now, he's in a battle with Alex," PI head coach Monty Stumbaugh said. "They're in for a little dogfight, which is good. We need a little competition to see who's gonna take over."

DeMoss will get the call against the Bears and the game can be seen as an open audition of sorts.

"We'll start out with Kyle and see what happens," Stumbaugh said. "He's gonna have to be a leader by example and take charge in the huddle. I think he can do a fine job."

Through the first two scrimmages, DeMoss has shown flashes of brilliance. His athletic frame and good instincts give him the capabilities to make plays. But, again, he knows there is room for improvement.

"I could be doing everything better," he said. "I haven't really hit something perfect. I just want to get my things done and make good choices.

The (offensive) line's been doing real good and our two starting backs (Diego Garcia, Rolando Alvarez) are hurt, so they'll be coming back."

Indeed with Garcia and/or Alvarez suiting up, the pressure will be taken off of whoever is under center. Joe Vega has also come on during the preseason.

Stumbaugh said DeMoss "throws the ball well and is faster than people think," later adding, "he's a tough kid who's tough to bring down. But he's been a little jittery, that's all."

Against West Oso, any jitters have to stay on the sidelines.

DeMoss summed up why.

"They're real quick," he said of the Bears.

"They have lots of speed and quickness," Stumbaugh added.

Overall, DeMoss said the Tarpons are improving, and with a little more seasoning, they'll get to where they want to be.

"We play real well together," he said. "We just need to get a couple of things down and we'll be good."

Armando Garza covers sub-4A football for Valley Freedom Newspapers. He can be reached at armandog@valleystar.com.

VMS/HERALD GAME OF THE WEEK
WEEK ZERO
CC WEST OSO AT PORT ISABEL
WHEN: 7:30 p.m., Friday
WHERE: Tarpon Stadium, Port Isabel (grass)
TICKETS: Are $6 for reserved. $4 general admission. $3 for students. For more information, call (956) 943-0110.
LAST MEETING: West Oso 20, Port Isabel 14, OT (2007)
SERIES HISTORY: 3-2 West Oso
OF NOTE: The two teams played into overtime last season, with West Oso winning a 20-14 decision at West Oso. ... The Bears are known for their speed. Shedrick Howard averaged over 100 yards per outing last year. David Fox and Markeith Smith join him to form a fast backfield... The Tarpons will have a new QB in Kyle De Moss ... Tarpon Stadium suffered minor damage from Hurricane Dolly, notably the famous sign proclaiming PI's success over the years. PI has had only one losing season since 1972.

http://www.rgvsports.com/articles/demoss_2554___article.html/west_isabel.html

footballgal
08-28-2008, 10:14 AM
Steady Seawall
http://epaper.valleystar.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=VMS/2008/08/28/9/Img/Pc0090300.jpg

G. Daniel Lopez/The Brownsville Herald
Port Isabel defenders Javier Roque (front) and linebacker Luis Flandes are two key members of the famed Seawall Defense, which will attempt to corral the West Oso Bears in the Valley Morning Star’s Game of the Week.

Port Isabel’s defense poised to shut down speedy Bears

By ROY HESS
RGVSports.com

Port Isabel’s defense faces quite a challenge to start the football season.
The Tarpons play their season opener at home at 7:30 p.m. Friday against Class 3A state-ranked West Oso and its standout group of running backs led by Shedrick Howard. In preseason polls, West Oso is ranked 10th by Texas Football magazine and 15th by The Associated Press. The Bears have seven starters back on offense and eight on defense from last year’s 8-3 ballclub that thrived behind Howard, a speedy, shifty tailback who averaged more than 100 yards rushing a game and was named District 31-3A offensive MVP. Actually, Howard is not West Oso’s only weapon. The Bears boast one of the most talented backfields in South Texas this season. Besides Howard (5-9, 165), there’s Markieth Smith (5-10, 170) and David Foxx (5-9, 155). All three seniors have 4.5 speed.
And if that’s not enough, sophomore backup running back Darius Dorsey (5-10, 160) is pretty quick, too.
“If it’s the one (Howard) I’m thinking about, this will be his third year starting, and we’ve been chasing him around for two years now. This will be the last time, I hope,” PI coach Monty Stumbaugh said. “He’s a tough, little runner. You’ve got to be a sure tackler with him, and their other running backs, too,
“We had a hard time tackling them last year, so it’s going to be a big challenge for us,” he added. “They’re not big kids, but they’re very explosive. They have a lot of speed, they’re quick and they can get on the edge (around the end) in a hurry. They’re shifty and have lots of moves. It’s going to be an important factor for us to stop them.”
This marks the fourth straight season for the Tarpons to play West Oso. The past two years, they’ve met in the regular season. West Oso triumphed at home over PI a year ago 20-14 in overtime, and in 2006, the Tarpons beat the Bears 27-19 at Tarpon Stadium.
In 2005, PI played West Oso in the first round of the 3A Division II playoffs at Texas A&M-Kingsville and won 41-14.
The Tarpons return six starters on offense and three on defense from last year’s 7-4 team.
The PI players are familiar with Friday night’s opponent and know exactly what they must do.
“The key thing is going to be containing them, breaking down (their blocking) and holding on to make sure we make the tackle,” said Luis Flandes, PI’s 5-foot-9, 170-pound senior middle linebacker. “My responsibility will be basically making sure we get our defense aligned correctly and we fill in the gaps.”
Added senior defensive tackle Javier Roque, a 5-10, 265-pounder and twoyear starter: “Like my teammate said, we have to contain them, play together as a team and play with a lot of heart. Last year, I didn’t get to play because I was injured, so this year I’m excited because I’ll be on the field.
“Playing (scrimmages) against Harlingen and Mercedes has helped us because they’re strong teams, and now we’re going against another strong team in West Oso,” Roque added. “It just helps us get better and better and helps prepare us for the 3A teams (in District 32-3A).”
Both players agree they’d much rather face West Oso at Tarpon Stadium instead of traveling to the Coastal Bend like last year.
“We’re happy for the support of the community,” Flandes said. “Watch out for us. We’ll be there.”
Roy Hess covers high school football for Valley Freedom Newspapers. He can be reached at rhess@brownsvilleherald.com.

footballgal
08-28-2008, 10:33 AM
http://www.kristv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8801279&nav=menu192_4_1

Bears determined to make 2008 best season yet

Updated: Aug 6, 2008 07:44 PM CDT

WEST OSO-The West Oso Football Team stormed back last season, finishing second in district 30 - 3a, but the loss to Palacios is one the Bears hope to build on in 2008.

The team said they are only as good as their last game and since they lost their last game, it is one they have to make up.

"That's what we go on. We got a little bit of that Victoria turf in a baggy there in the locker room so I am going to pull that out today and see what happens," Bears Head Coach Mark Guess said.

The team has already been ranked 10th by Dave Campbell's Texas Football in the pre-season, and the boys have their work cut out of for them.

"Everybody is going to be working hard to beat us, but we are working hard too, and we're going to be ready," Bears linebacker John Baldwin said.

"We've got three guys back there [in the backfield] that we can give the ball to, and hopefully we can highlight those guys and spread the ball out a little bit and put a lot of points on the board," Guess said.

"We have our running game down, we just have to work on our passing and then after that, we got it locked," Baldwin added.

Online Reporter: Tyler Garrett

http://kris.images.worldnow.com/images/8801279_BG1.jpg

That motto sure looks familiar. ;)