PDA

View Full Version : West Texas Early Season Analysis

vet93
09-14-2002, 06:27 PM
Give me your early season analysis of west texas 3A. What teams have surprised you so far? How would you assess your own team so far? Early season strengths and Weaknesses. Which players so far have really impressed you so far both your own and your opponents? What does your team need to do to shore up before district play begins in three or four weeks? Just a few questions...now lets go at it!!!

VWG
09-14-2002, 08:27 PM
There are a lot of teams I feel like are still "soul searching".
Tradition rich Vernon plays Sweetwater tough, beats a good Altus, OK team, then gets blown out at home to Wichita Falls. Has the departure of Bernard Scott hurt that much? Sure, it hurts ... but they should be more consistent.
Bridgeport and Sweetwater... live by the QB, die by the QB. Enough said.
Abilene Wylie- Seems as if they are still playing inconsistent, especially with the loss at Aledo.
Iowa Park could be a sleeper. Have two victories over 4A Burkburnett and Wichita Falls Hirschi. Big line, decent speed in the backfield... but can they hang in there for a playoff run? My opinion is that if the Hawks can get the offense clicking through district then they are a playoff team to look out for.
Graham has size, depth at most postions, and a kid with a cannon for a leg in the kicking game. 3 straight district titles and could be an easy 4th..... but they also have 3 straight one and out playoff trips. Their passing game has been very good, picked Alvarado apart. This could set them apart from previous teams but the jury is still out.
Ballinger is always a scrappy bunch and has a talent in the backfield that can set them apart from most teams. We will see them in the playoffs but for how long?

huthut
09-14-2002, 09:06 PM
preview teams around west:
ballinger- as long as posey stays healthy the cats are dangerous, plus coach owens does an excellent job in preparing his troops, different schemes for different teams
greenwood- a consistent program year in year out, heavily favorite in there district to win it, can anyone give them a game, yes, kermit has played them tough, and i see pecos as a threat, only if they get better in the trenches, they have got great skill players to compete on the offensive side of the ball, they proved it against lamesa in the 43-27 loss, the eagles shot themselves in the foot in the first half, and also played a good quality oponnent for the first time.

slpybear the bullfan
09-14-2002, 10:56 PM
Abilene Wylie I thought would be the upstart. I am not too sure about the details of their loss to Aledo. I know Aledo is a salty program.

Graham is probably the strongest team on my side of west Texas, (not counting the Bulls of course, (once a homer, always a homer)), but suprisingly, I would not count out Decatur. Man I do love to talk trash with 'em, beat 'em, and then talk about it for another year. But this year, they look to be a worthy opponent.

WDA!

slpybear

(from the good side of the Big Sandy!)

[This message has been edited by slpybear the bullfan (edited September 14, 2002).]

eye of the tiger
09-14-2002, 11:45 PM
I certainly cant contribute to this, but I do appreciate the posts about West Texas football. It is a chance for me to learn, so thanks.

hsguru
09-15-2002, 02:03 AM
To me it seems that Graham is the region one team witht he most power. They look to have a great year. Will it be wnought o carry them past Everman or Jasper? No no one looks to have a prayer against those two schools.
Wylie is still hard to gauge. They ran up against a very stout Aledo team that shredded them with the run. I do think they will rebound and Sandifer will have them ready for Graham on Friday. It should be a war.
Ballinger struggled against A good 2A team in Bangs so really in my eyes they are hard to gauge also.
The jury is also still out on Sweetwater. They have to prove that they are not a one-dimensional team.
Merkel, well they are still Merkel. Piles on the wins against 2A schools and gets big headed then gets shot down by most 3A schools. And the future looks terrible for them as far as what they have coming up.
Midland Greenwood is surprising me. They seem to have it cranked up early this year, and maybe they can carry the momentum into district play.
Snyder will be a force to be reckoned with come district play. They have some big strong kids that love to hit and their QB is really good. If they can stay healthy I pick them to win their district.
I agree with someone earlier that stated that Iowa Park could very well be a sleeper. They have beaten two 4A teams (not very good 4A teams, but still they were 4A) but they wont be tested much in their next couple of games.
Another team that I fell will surprise alot of people is Clyde. They have some good athletes there and if the coaching staff can keep them all together and on the same page they have a very legitimate shot at post season play.

tors2002
09-15-2002, 03:39 AM
I will be honest and say that Lamesa has really surprised me. I thought we had lost too much talent at key positions o graduation to be very good. I was wrong. They have been very impressive the last 2 weeks.

The score against Pecos was not a true reflection of how Lamesa dominated. They played their 2 nd string and some JV players they brought up in the 4th. The Hill RB is only a sophomore and he put up a TD and over a 150yds. The QB is very strong and big. You can definitely tell the kids have hit the weight room and workouts hard this summer. They are much bigger and just as fast as last year. Really surprised me.

Greenwood would also have to be my pick as a pleasant sruprise. Seminole has had 2 horrible years and will make up for it this year. They are returnijg like 16-17 kids from last year that started. I pick Lamesa, Seminole, and Sweetwater to make the playoffs on District 3-3A.

Lamesa plays 4A Levelland this week for Homecoming and then Frenship and Littlefield the next 2 weeks before district. Not an easy pre-district schedule.

huthut
09-15-2002, 04:03 PM
hey tors, lamesa does not play frenship they play monahans, plus lamesa pulled there starters with 2 min to go in the 4th quarter, the points that the eagles put up were legit, hope to see yall in the first round of the playoffs , it will be closer.

tors2002
09-15-2002, 05:24 PM
You are right, we do play Monahans,got so used to playing Frenship every year. Monahans shouldbe easier than Frenship but you know how any given Friday can work in high school football. First round would be a game but same result. Lamesa is much faster that Pecos. Pecos is so big, so you know th old saying, "the bigger they are, the harder they fall." http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif

slpybear the bullfan
09-15-2002, 05:50 PM
What about any of the schools from the Panhandle? Is Perryton strong again this year?

slpybear

huthut
09-15-2002, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by tors2002:
You are right, we do play Monahans,got so used to playing Frenship every year. Monahans shouldbe easier than Frenship but you know how any given Friday can work in high school football. First round would be a game but same result. Lamesa is much faster that Pecos. Pecos is so big, so you know th old saying, "the bigger they are, the harder they fall." http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif

pecos wore there butts out in the second half, but you have to play 4 quarters, the eagles learned from this, i hope they play yall again , we will win

Matthew328
09-15-2002, 10:52 PM
The jury is still out on a lot of these squads...but to me Ballinger has been a slight disappointment thus far...Wylie has been ok but the loss to Aledo is a set back...Bridgeport and Graham (not true West Texas but close enough) both seem very strong...Lamesa will be there going D2 will help them out...Sweetwater if they can find someone other than Carillo cold be dangerous....dont count Snyder out either..I look for them to turn things up..in the panhandle Perryton has been very impressive thus far...Borger has struggled some but they'll be ok come district..

Wtx_coach
09-15-2002, 11:41 PM

Hey tor, none of the eagles were falling on friday night, just alot of miss assignments, should improve through out the year, beleive me Tors you guys are not not faster then Pecos, I can guarantee you that, good luck in district, oh yea by they way seminole will not beat snyder.

tors2002
09-16-2002, 12:33 AM
I think Snyder is overrated. Yes, they dropped to 3A from 4A but so did Lamesa a couple of years ago and they went something like 6-4 or 5-5 their first year in 3A.

The game in 3A is a bit more about speed becaus of the lack of overall size in 3A.

I do think Seminole will be the surprise of the district and will beat Snyder.

Pecos there is no way you can say that you wore Lamesa out in the 2nd half. You stilllost by 17 and I beleive that is pretty close to what you were down at half.

As far as the playoffs, it would be a nice 1st round but you forget that is about 8 weeks away and alot of things could happen. First and foremost you gotta make the playoffs and our district is going to be way harder to get out of than yours with Presidio giving everyone a win to start with.

vet93
09-16-2002, 10:21 PM
This season has been a lot of fun so far. There have been several teams in west texas that have been pleasent surprises. Clyde is 2 and 1. They will definitely be a playoff contender in their district. They played Merkel tough in their only loss. I really hope that they make the playoffs because I predicted it at the beginning of the season and alot of people thought they had no chance. I also predicted that Greenwood would be better than expected. Purser's teams that aren't expected to do well are the ones that are the most successful. They will be a force in the western part of region I this year. Lamesa has also come out very strong and looks to contend with Sweetwater and Wylie. Seminole is another team that has done well and could play a spoiler role. I have been a little disapointed in the play of Wylie, Sweetwater, Ballinger and Snyder. They all have talented teams but seem a little out of sync and inconsistent. Fortunately, they have some time to get things together before the start of district. The jury is still out on several teams that are trying to earn some respect. Pecos still hasn't showed that they can win against a quality 3A program. Merkel is in the same boat. Monahans is still struggling a little bit and may be a few years away. This is shaping up to be a very interesting season. Good luck!

Wtx_coach
09-17-2002, 03:06 PM
I think Snyder is overrated. Yes, they dropped to 3A from 4A but so did Lamesa a couple of years ago and they went something like 6-4 or 5-5 their first year in 3A.

The game in 3A is a bit more about speed becaus of the lack of overall size in 3A.

I do think Seminole will be the surprise of the district and will beat Snyder.

Pecos there is no way you can say that you wore Lamesa out in the 2nd half. You stilllost by 17 and I beleive that is pretty close to what you were down at half.

As far as the playoffs, it would be a nice 1st round but you forget that is about 8 weeks away and alot of things could happen. First and foremost you gotta make the playoffs and our district is going to be way harder to get out of than yours with Presidio giving everyone a win to start with.

Hey tors remember now if we would have recoverd that fumble in the third after the kick off we would have only been down by 7, so come on now

GT
09-17-2002, 06:58 PM
pecos give it up,Lamesa was the better team and they beat yall so get over it already

tors2002
09-17-2002, 08:27 PM
AMEN, GT. We got Levelland to worry about this week.