PDA

View Full Version : Bridgeport-Celina Thoughts

Matthew328
08-21-2008, 11:59 PM
I came away impressed with Bridgeport, they'll be a solid team this year....of course they will still have to score a lot of points because they'll struggle on D....but they can move the ball....lack of running game is a question...

Celina was missing Waldrep and stil looked very good on offense...Romero is unreal, one of the most versatile kids I've seen...the QB has a good arm, he's got some zip...

#33 the RB for the freshman team looked great, was he the same as #1 the backup TB?? I thought I heard someone say JaMarque and I think he's a freshman...but he's got some bounce...just wasn't sure if it was the same kid who had like 4 TD runs for the Celina freshman....Celina's got a very salty freshman crew BTW

Defense is a concern for Celina...I know they didn't game plan or anything like that but there are yards to be had against Celina this year...

Snyder_TigerFan
08-22-2008, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Defense is a concern for Celina...I know they didn't game plan or anything like that but there are yards to be had against Celina this year...

:eek: :eek: Surely you jest.

pirate4state
08-22-2008, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
:eek: :eek: Surely you jest.

Right? LOL

I trust Matthew's opinion. :)

BILLYFRED0000
08-22-2008, 07:30 AM
I came away impressed with Bridgeport, they'll be a solid team this year....of course they will still have to score a lot of points because they'll struggle on D....but they can move the ball....lack of running game is a question...

Celina was missing Waldrep and stil looked very good on offense...Romero is unreal, one of the most versatile kids I've seen...the QB has a good arm, he's got some zip...

#33 the RB for the freshman team looked great, was he the same as #1 the backup TB?? I thought I heard someone say JaMarque and I think he's a freshman...but he's got some bounce...just wasn't sure if it was the same kid who had like 4 TD runs for the Celina freshman....Celina's got a very salty freshman crew BTW

Maybe. I am still not sure about the d either but our scrimmages generally look this way. Playing very fundamental on D with little or no stunting or blitzing. Just beat the guy in front of you ball. But I think as the season goes on we will improve. I thought Bridgeport looked pretty good. Nice intermediate passing game and that qb is quick enough to create time and space. They will be a hard team to stop consistently.

MN95
08-22-2008, 08:10 AM

Just for the record, the freshman running back/safety is Jamarick Simmons. He did not play with the freshman, played on JV and is #1. Not sure who #33 is. In fact, our freshman class this year has many of their top players on our JV. Last year there were only 2 freshman that played JV and one (Romero) on varsity.

Regarding the defense, I am also a little concerned. We are very young and inexperienced up front. Considering we are playing our most difficult non district schedule in a while, there may be some growing pains.

gatordaze
08-22-2008, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by MN95
Just for the record, the freshman running back/safety is Jamarick Simmons. He did not play with the freshman, played on JV and is #1. Not sure who #33 is. In fact, our freshman class this year has many of their top players on our JV. Last year there were only 2 freshman that played JV and one (Romero) on varsity.

Regarding the defense, I am also a little concerned. We are very young and inexperienced up front. Considering we are playing our most difficult non district schedule in a while, there may be some growing pains.

#33 is McCauley Johnson #1 is JaMarque Simmons both Freshman

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc186/jayraulerson/scrim8.jpg
JaMarque Simmons
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc186/jayraulerson/scrim7.jpg
McCauley Johnson

A couple of other Freshman getting look...
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc186/jayraulerson/scrim9.jpg
Jordan Roos 6'2" 270 OT
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc186/jayraulerson/scrim10.jpg
Blake Owens MLB/FB

BobcatBenny
08-22-2008, 08:45 AM
Sounds like this season may be interesting.

My biggest concern was the offensive line.

How is Celina's OL looking?

Coach Ford will make adjustments and the D will not be a problem.

coachkiss
08-22-2008, 08:50 AM
Right now for Celina, there is no Troy Franklin, there is no Breck Holman, and there is no D'anton Lynn, and there won't be. Kids like that come around every so often.

However, they have the best 3A linebacker in the state, and they have 10 other kids who will do their job. There will be some changes on defense between now and the first game, and I think by the time that district rolls around there will be major changes.

Celina went from having three DI players on defense (Franklin, Lynn, and Lavey) to one. There is no way that you will be as good on defense in the 2nd scrimmage. Is it good enough to win a state championship? Time will tell.

gatordaze
08-22-2008, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Sounds like this season may be interesting.

My biggest concern was the offensive line.

How is Celina's OL looking?

Coach Ford will make adjustments and the D will not be a problem.

#1 Offense has not been stopped. Line looks adequate so far.

LH Panther Mom
08-22-2008, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by coachkiss
However, they have the best 3A linebacker in the state, :confused: :confused:

cats 2008
08-22-2008, 09:14 AM
dont buy in to everything you see at a scrimmage.Bill will have them ready to go.It will look alot better next week.Trust me;) ;)

LH Panther Mom
08-22-2008, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by cats 2008
dont buy in to everything you see at a scrimmage.Bill will have them ready to go.It will look alot better next week.Trust me;) ;) When does your "book" go on sale? :thinking: :thinking:

cats 2008
08-22-2008, 09:26 AM
after game 16 you might not remember by then because you will be on to basketball already.:eek:

LH Panther Mom
08-22-2008, 09:29 AM
after game 16 you might not remember by then because you will be on to basketball already.:eek:
Yeah, so will everyone else.

marler1972
08-22-2008, 09:32 AM
I know it is early but the secondary scares me.

gatordaze
08-22-2008, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:confused: :confused:

Caleb is the real deal at MLB. He is 6'3" 225 and ran a 4.58 in the spring and is the second fastest on the team. He is a Junior and has started since he was a Freshman.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc186/jayraulerson/caleb.jpg

LH Panther Mom
08-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by gatordaze
Caleb is the real deal at MLB. He is 6'3" 225 and ran a 4.58 in the spring and is the second fastest on the team. He is a Junior and has started since he was a Freshman.

Oh, okay. I'm just not convinced at this point, that any player can be tagged "best in the state". :)

Pick6
08-22-2008, 09:44 AM

However, they have the best 3A linebacker in the state,

How many other LB's have you seen this year?

cats 2008
08-22-2008, 09:45 AM
HE PLAYS FOR CELINA SO THAT MAKES HIM THE BEST!

Pick6
08-22-2008, 09:46 AM
HE PLAYS FOR CELINA SO THAT MAKES HIM THE BEST!

Is WildTexan your daddy?

gatordaze
08-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Oh, okay. I'm just not convinced at this point, that any player can be tagged "best in the state". :)

Your right it would be hard to label any kid the best. He is currently the best kid on our team and the only real D1 recruit. But as has been pointed out we really don't have the best athletes in the state.

BILLYFRED0000
08-22-2008, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by marler1972

Secondary was fine. That little qb was cat quick and could elude the rush all day. Given enough time he should be able to find someone. We dropped two int's with that "scary secondary" and had an INT that could have been run back in the live quarter. I think they will be fine.

coachkiss
08-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Early offers and interest don't mean everything, but it does mean something. I will say that there are not many linebackers in the state of Texas with the early interest that teams have with Lavey. It's not just measurables, either.

When teams were coming to watch D'Anton last year, many would say that they would take Lavey right then and there (when he was a sophomore).

This year will be more difficult for him. Two years ago he had Blatnick and Franklin in front of him. Last year, Franklin was in front of him. This year, he won't have that type of size and playmaking ability in front of him, meaning that he will get caught in the wash more, and he won't have a DL drawing a double team in front of him.

BILLYFRED0000
08-22-2008, 10:30 AM
Early offers and interest don't mean everything, but it does mean something. I will say that there are not many linebackers in the state of Texas with the early interest that teams have with Lavey. It's not just measurables, either.

When teams were coming to watch D'Anton last year, many would say that they would take Lavey right then and there (when he was a sophomore).

This year will be more difficult for him. Two years ago he had Blatnick and Franklin in front of him. Last year, Franklin was in front of him. This year, he won't have that type of size and playmaking ability in front of him, meaning that he will get caught in the wash more, and he won't have a DL drawing a double team in front of him.

That is true but he has a lot more experience and good speed. We will get to see what he can do. I think he is going to be better than ever.

block&tackle
08-22-2008, 11:00 AM
:confused: :confused:
I am assuming that your confusion is based on the fact that you disagreed with the comment that Celina has the best 3A linebacker in the state.

LH's Cody Lattimore is a very very good 3A linebacker that has gotten a lot of attention as an all-state LB for the last couple of years. Caleb Lavey's highest post-season accolades have been a HM last year (soph season) but he had 20 more tackles, more assists, more INTs, is 4 inches taller, 40 lbs. heavier, and runs a .2 faster 40. Going into his senior season, Lattimore has 0 documented DI offers - a year from now Lavey will be one of the state's top LB recruits.

Not ripping on Lattimore - he is a spectacular HS football player on a great team. He is a great hitter and has good instincts and could play for any hs in the state, even though he isn't 6' tall and weighs less than 200 lbs. But in just about any way that you want to measure it, Lavey is the best (3A) linebacker in the state. AP writers may not realize it but sometimes they are like football moms - they don't realize what is going on on the field unless someone else tells them.

Budman007
08-22-2008, 11:03 AM
One reason that Bridgeport did'nt show much of a running game was because their starting RB did not play (Corbin Green-the qb's little brother with 4.5 speed). They should be fine in this area with an o-line averaging around 270 lbs and very athletic.

Celina may be down a little this year, but they are still a heck of a team with excellent coaching. Their physical, smash-mouth style of play is refreshing for us old school guys.

Sweetwater Red
08-22-2008, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by block&tackle
AP writers may not realize it but sometimes they are like football moms - they don't realize what is going on on the field unless someone else tells them.

:doh:

LHexPlayer
08-22-2008, 11:06 AM
I am assuming that your confusion is based on the fact that you disagreed with the comment that Celina has the best 3A linebacker in the state.

LH's Cody Lattimore is a very very good 3A linebacker that has gotten a lot of attention as an all-state LB for the last couple of years. Caleb Lavey's highest post-season accolades have been a HM last year (soph season) but he had 20 more tackles, more assists, more INTs, is 4 inches taller, 40 lbs. heavier, and runs a .2 faster 40. Going into his senior season, Lattimore has 0 documented DI offers - a year from now Lavey will be one of the state's top LB recruits.

Not ripping on Lattimore - he is a spectacular HS football player on a great team. He is a great hitter and has good instincts and could play for any hs in the state, even though he isn't 6' tall and weighs less than 200 lbs. But in just about any way that you want to measure it, Lavey is the best (3A) linebacker in the state. AP writers may not realize it but sometimes they are like football moms - they don't realize what is going on on the field unless someone else tells them.

How do you know your guy is the best in the state? LHPM probably wasn't talking about Lattimore. Have you seen every linebacker in the state? It's dumb to make a blanket statement that your guy is the best. Maybe a kid from Jasper or WOS is the best. Stupid argument.

MN95
08-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by marler1972

Danton Lynn was obviously a big loss, but other than him, I believe most of the secondary is returning? My inside source tells me the coach's were mostly unhappy last night with the lack of pressure on the QB. It seemed to me we were getting good penetration, they just got the ball outside very quickly. None of our current DL rotation played varsity last year, so they are a work in progress. I believe our coaching staff will get them there.

One other comment, I'm not sure if everyone understands the amount of pressure these young boys feel to live up to the results our program has had the last several years. To lose even one regular season game, in their mind, is unforgiveable. Anything short of another state championship game is an unsuccessful season. Think about that for a minute.

I tell my son he is fortunate to live in a community like Celina, and to be part of our current football program is a privledge that many boys would want. It does, however, come at a price.

LH Panther Mom
08-22-2008, 11:10 AM

I didn't disagree. Again, I said I don't see how any player can be tagged as "best in the state" at this point. Didn't bring up Lattimore and I certainly wouldn't say he's the best in the state, either, even though he's pretty darn good.

Sorry, but I don't think that D1 offers mean "best" just that colleges feel they either have more potential/size or will fit their team better.

mistanice
08-22-2008, 11:13 AM
AP writers may not realize it but sometimes they are like football moms - they don't realize what is going on on the field unless someone else tells them. :eek: :eek: :eek:

MN95
08-22-2008, 11:15 AM

Sorry, but I don't think that D1 offers mean "best" just that colleges feel they either have more potential/size or will fit their team better.

I completely agree with this statement. The world is full of former high school stars that didn't have the "potential" or physical skills to develop into contributors at the D1 level. Look no further than our own team last year. Breck Holman's production was among the best in the state for defensive ends. A remarkable high school player. Because of his size though, I don't believe he is playing at any college level this year.

NastySlot
08-22-2008, 11:30 AM

you are so right.....i once heard something like this from a college coach....after asking him why they were looking at certain kid we had....and i felt we had two other kids that were better football players. POTENTIAL and SIZE

pirate4state
08-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
you are so right.....i once heard something like this from a college coach....after asking him why they were looking at certain kid we had....and i felt we had two other kids that were better football players. POTENTIAL and SIZE obviously you are mistaken! LHPM can't be right...she is afterall, just a mom who doesn't realize what is going on on the field unless someone else tells her!

Pick6
08-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
obviously you are mistaken! LHPM can't be right...she is afterall, just a mom who doesn't realize what is going on on the field unless someone else tells her!

Yeah, that's a tough decision, should I believe a HS kid or someone who's been around the game for 40+ years.

CHS_89
08-22-2008, 12:01 PM
I thought Bridgeport had a pretty solid O-line. They were big up front. The QB has a cannon. The receiver #21 for BP, seemed to be the go to guy and had some good speed and awareness of the field.

I'm gonna keep my eye on BP this year and best of luck. Good luck to the Bulls.

The Celina offense has some work to do as any team at this stage. The defense didn't get much pressure on the QB, but overall I thought they faired well against a decent passing attack.

lion75
08-22-2008, 02:08 PM
Oh, okay. I'm just not convinced at this point, that any player can be tagged "best in the state". :) You know I don't have a dog in yall's fight, but if I was forced to predict a best player in 3a, I would certainly pick Caleb. In the semifinals, two years ago as a true freshman, I couldn't believe how advanced he was. Lion75 predicts NFL for Caleb.

WildTexan972
08-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
Is WildTexan your daddy?

no but I am your momma's daddy

Lavey has been at the top of the LB ranking since his freshman year, and he still has 2 seasons to play before he signs a D1 offer sheet....he is a TOP lb....and that is enough....a kid ain't gotta be "the best" to get the job done....

Pick6
08-22-2008, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan972
no but I am your momma's daddy

My grandfather was a born again Christian who is in Heaven right now. He was a kind man to everyone and a near perfect father. You could definately learn some things from his actions if he were still here.

BILLYFRED0000
08-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by lion75
You know I don't have a dog in yall's fight, but if I was forced to predict a best player in 3a, I would certainly pick Caleb. In the semifinals, two years ago as a true freshman, I couldn't believe how advanced he was. Lion75 predicts NFL for Caleb.

He might be that good. I hope he can hold the fort this year. He will be the anchor.

orange machine
08-22-2008, 02:38 PM
A inside source told me that all the coaches liked what they saw from the offensive side of the ball. He says they were very pleased at the line play. We had over 100 yards rushing and Cody was 5 for 8 passing throwing for about 90 passing yards in a 1 min live quarter. Also the defense in the 1 live quarter held Bridgeport to under 30 yards total offense. Those people who are rried about the defense dont be. I will agree we didnt get a lot of pressure on the qb, but keep in mind we ran a basic defense with no salt thrown into it. We did not stunt and blitz like we will during the regular season. The defense was very plain jan. Bridgeport was big a very physical and looked pretty good, but if we would have played them 4 quarters it would have been a blow out. I look for us to very good this year and compete for another title i think our offense will not miss a beat this year with out defense taking a small step backwards, but not so far that we cant compete for another title. Last year we gave up 9 point a game this year i see the defense giving up more like 17 a game which is not bad at all considering our offense should score and score alot.

orange machine
08-22-2008, 03:45 PM
Not that anybody really cares, but im impressed with Celina's left guard Braden Buchannon. He is the smallest lineman at only about 190 pounds, but that kid handled his own last night against a kid that out weighed him by 50 pounds. Good job to Braden.

WildTexan972
08-22-2008, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
You could definately learn some things from his actions if he were still here.

hello Mr. Pot.....meet kettle....

Bobcat_Mom
08-27-2008, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by MN95
Danton Lynn was obviously a big loss, but other than him, I believe most of the secondary is returning? My inside source tells me the coach's were mostly unhappy last night with the lack of pressure on the QB. It seemed to me we were getting good penetration, they just got the ball outside very quickly. None of our current DL rotation played varsity last year, so they are a work in progress. I believe our coaching staff will get them there.

One other comment, I'm not sure if everyone understands the amount of pressure these young boys feel to live up to the results our program has had the last several years. To lose even one regular season game, in their mind, is unforgiveable. Anything short of another state championship game is an unsuccessful season. Think about that for a minute.

I tell my son he is fortunate to live in a community like Celina, and to be part of our current football program is a privledge that many boys would want. It does, however, come at a price.

Amen to that!!

gatordaze
08-27-2008, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by orange machine
Not that anybody really cares, but im impressed with Celina's left guard Braden Buchannon. He is the smallest lineman at only about 190 pounds, but that kid handled his own last night against a kid that out weighed him by 50 pounds. Good job to Braden.

Braden is a "power clean" machine! He has the best form in the gym and it is paying off on the field. Great lower body strength and leverage!

BILLYFRED0000
08-27-2008, 09:51 AM
It is true about the pressure. The expectation levels are so high.
I watch even the pee wees and coach them and they see the work that the big boys put in and somehow it rubs off. Now not all the kids get it but the ones that do just work till they drop and then work some more. I have never seen anything quite like it anywhere else.