PDA

View Full Version : Wylie vs Monahans scrimmage

garciap77
08-21-2008, 10:36 PM
IMO Monahans did just a little better than Wylie! Score was 7 to 7! Wylie's offense could not get it together! Defense was OK! But, will still beat Brownwood!:D

WTF-82
08-21-2008, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
IMO Monahans did just a little better than Wylie! Score was 7 to 7! Wylie's offense could not get it together! Defense was OK! But, will still beat Brownwood!:D

I could not make it but some friends said this was a very good scrimmage for both squads I did hear both defenses play very intense. Can wait till the opener good luck to both these squads this season 2 great Football programs right here.

WTF-82
08-21-2008, 11:37 PM
Got some pics for me Id love to see them if so.

garciap77
08-22-2008, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by ***-82

I'll post a one or two tonight!

Cameron Crazy
08-22-2008, 07:29 AM
Well, we all know Wylie will be ready to play come real gametime.

garciap77
08-22-2008, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
Well, we all know Wylie will be ready to play come real gametime.
You got that right! And our game vs Graham will a toss-up as always!:)

Cameron Crazy
08-22-2008, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by garciap77
You got that right! And our game vs Graham will a toss-up as always!:) Great statement my friend. I do believe that this game will be a good one. We all need to schedule a M&G during halftime.

garciap77
08-22-2008, 07:50 AM
Done deal! Bring RWB with you!:)

nobogey72
08-22-2008, 11:00 AM
I was really impressed with Monahans' QB. Great arm great quickness. He is going to give some teams fits. They also have what looks like about a 6'4" WR that caught everything within reach. (He must have transferred from Brownwood)

Johnny Moxen
08-22-2008, 11:39 AM
I have a little different opinion. While both teams looked very good (especially this early in the season), I thought this looked like a very talented Wylie team. I saw major depth at the skill positions (RB, WR, TE). Some of the JRs (QB) will get better as they practice and gain Friday night game experience. Preston is the real deal @ QB, will be a good one. On defense the LBs and DBs are very active and I see lot's of INTS happening this year. They can pretty much cover most receivers. The OL and DL is a work in progress but will improve as the season goes on.

This pretty much looked like a typical Sandifer team, lots of talent and depth, which will be poised to make a serious bid for another district crown and deep run in the playoffs. I think this team is more talented than last years team.

Article below from the Abilene Reporter News regarding the scrimmage.

Mixed Results for Wylie scrimmage

After two-and-a-half weeks of beating up on each other in practice, the Wylie High School football team got a chance to hit someone else for a change Thursday.

With just a week remaining until their season opener against Vernon, the Bulldogs spent close to three hours Thursday christening their new field turf in a full-contact scrimmage with Monahans.

The results for both teams were mixed, but Wylie coach Hugh Sandifer said he saw enough good things from his team to remain optimistic going forward.

"I thought we did some things really well," Sandifer said. "Most of the scrimmage looked good considering it was our first scrimmage and we're still this early in the year."

Thursday's scrimmage was split into two segments.

During the first half, each team got 40 plays on both offense and defense, alternating every 20 snaps. The controlled environment gave each coach a chance to run several players in and out and closely monitor their teams' execution.

The second half, which was broken into two 15 minute periods, more closely resembled a game.

Wylie dominated the first portion of the scrimmage, scoring three touchdowns and keeping the Loboes out of the end zone.

Led by junior quarterback Matt Preston, the Bulldogs scored on each of their first two possessions, including a 70-yard touchdown strike on the scrimmage's first play. Preston hit senior running back Chance Perkins in stride on an out route and Perkins raced untouched down the sidelines for the score.

The Bulldogs' second touchdown came one series later on a nine-play, 70-yard drive that was highlighted by a 35-yard reception by senior wideout Michael Seidensticker and capped by a Jon Miller run from one yard out.

"I really enjoyed the way we started," Sandifer said. "I thought we were aggressive on both sides of the ball and played really sharp to start."

After Preston led the Bulldogs to touchdowns on each of his first two possessions, Jackson Minor came in to play quarterback for the team's next 10 plays. Minor completed one of seven pass attempts with an interception -- but two passes were dropped.

Wylie's offense found its stride in the Bulldogs' second set of offensive plays.

The Bulldogs scored their third touchdown when Clay Vaughn hit tight end Rayce Burks up the seam for a 37-yard touchdown pass.

The Wylie defense also was impressive in the scrimmage's first half.

During Monahans' 40 offensive snaps, the Loboes had just six first downs and Wylie forced four turnovers, including interceptions by Seidensticker and Stephen Cottner.

"We've got some kids that can run well and the defense did a good job," Sandifer said. "They really pursued the ball well."

While Wylie controlled the first half of the scrimmage, the team struggled during the second portion.

The two teams finished the 30 minutes tied 7-7 and Wylie had more turnovers (four) than first downs (three).

But the Bulldogs, who went down by a score midway through the second period, were able to answer when Preston orchestrated a 70-yard scoring drive on the team's next possession.

"I was a little disappointed with the quarters," Sandifer said. "I thought our execution was really bad. There were a lot of busted assignments in our offense. In the second quarter, though, I was proud to see we finally put together a scoring drive."

While the Bulldogs had some mistakes and blown assignments throughout the scrimmage, Sandifer said there was nothing that couldn't be corrected by the time the regular season starts next week.

He said he was far more concerned with the getting as many kids involved as possible and getting his players prepared mentally and physically.

"Our coaches are always strong in evaluating our scrimmages. Our position coaches do a great job of teaching our kids, and that's what we talked about at the end when I talked to the kids," Sandifer said. "We just don't want to make the same mistakes twice."Mixed Results for the Wylie scrimmage[B]Mixed Results for Wylie scrimmage[B/]Mixed Results for Wylie scrimmage

garciap77
08-22-2008, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Moxen
[B]I have a little different opinion. While both teams looked very good (especially this early in the season), I thought this looked like a very talented Wylie team. I saw major depth at the skill positions (RB, WR, TE). Some of the JRs (QB) will get better as they practice and gain Friday night game experience. Preston is the real deal @ QB, will be a good one. On defense the LBs and DBs are very active and I see lot's of INTS happening this year. They can pretty much cover most receivers. The OL and DL is a work in progress but will improve as the season goes on.

This pretty much looked like a typical Sandifer team, lots of talent and depth, which will be poised to make a serious bid for another district crown and deep run in the playoffs. I think this team is more talented than last years team.

I glad to hear that from you!:)

I guess I just expected more from the dawgs!

I've been watching Wylie Football since 97. I have only attended 2 scrimmages! The last one was when Sweetwater was 4A. So, I just expected more from the dawgs! First part of the scrimmage looked like the dawgs everyting working fine, but the last part Monahans did a little better than we did.

slingshot
08-22-2008, 02:54 PM
I thought we looked good... got to play a lot kids, no sig injuries, lot of juniors and a few sophs contributing--this is going to be a very talented but very young team. Thought Jennings looked like a monster out there. Note to 3A--this kid is the real deal... big, strong, fast and just a little bit nasty. You come across the middle be prepared to be looking around on the ground for some teeth!

garciap77
08-22-2008, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by slingshot
.................................................. .................................................. ................... Note to 3A--this kid is the real deal... big, strong, fast and just a little bit nasty. You come across the middle be prepared to be looking around on the ground for some teeth!

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

injuredinmelee
08-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by slingshot
I thought we looked good... got to play a lot kids, no sig injuries, lot of juniors and a few sophs contributing--this is going to be a very talented but very young team. Thought Jennings looked like a monster out there. Note to 3A--this kid is the real deal... big, strong, fast and just a little bit nasty. You come across the middle be prepared to be looking around on the ground for some teeth!

I think he might have gotten a lot faster since last season also.

garciap77
08-22-2008, 06:44 PM

Here is one the rest will be on this link http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37473

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/DSC_8237.jpg

garciap77
08-22-2008, 09:03 PM

Check this out! http://www.abilenewyliebulldogs.com/multimedia%202007.htm