PDA

View Full Version : Tough day at work...

crzyjournalist03
08-21-2008, 12:38 PM
40 people are being let go today. I was called into a meeting to be told that I was keeping my job, but there are a lot of dead men walking right now that have no clue that they're going to be axed by the end of the day. :(

Necks_Fan
08-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
40 people are being let go today. I was called into a meeting to be told that I was keeping my job, but there are a lot of dead men walking right now that have no clue that they're going to be axed by the end of the day. :( Ouch, that really sucks for them....

Good thing you work "hard" at work......

Hehe.....:D

pirate4state
08-21-2008, 01:09 PM
40 people are being let go today. I was called into a meeting to be told that I was keeping my job, but there are a lot of dead men walking right now that have no clue that they're going to be axed by the end of the day. :( That stinks for your colleagues, but I'm glad you still have a job.

Sweetwater Red
08-21-2008, 01:10 PM
40 people are being let go today. I was called into a meeting to be told that I was keeping my job, but there are a lot of dead men walking right now that have no clue that they're going to be axed by the end of the day. :(

The company I work for trims the fat right before the designated
raise period. They get called in on a Monday morning and given
the news. Then they are told they can finish the day if they
want to.:doh:

crzyjournalist03
08-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
raise period. They get called in on a Monday morning and get
want to.:doh:

I don't think ours are being given the option...the parking lot is usually 80-90% full. Right now, I know it's lunch for some, but right now, I'd estimate it's about 35%.

Necks_Fan
08-21-2008, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
raise period. They get called in on a Monday morning and given
want to.:doh: Do companies HAVE to give raises, or do they just do by company....

Because the owner of the company I work for, is REALLY cheap and I haven't gotten a raise since I started there (June 07)..... Almost 15 Months now.....

crzyjournalist03
08-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Do companies HAVE to give raises, or do they just do by company....

Because the owner of the company I work for, is REALLY cheap and I haven't gotten a raise since I started there (June 07)..... Almost 15 Months now.....

nope...they don't HAVE to...I have friends who worked at the same company for over three years and didn't get a raise. Generally, raises are given to keep employees around or help with cost of living. Today they announced here that all of the managers were taking a pay cut in order to keep their jobs.

Necks_Fan
08-21-2008, 02:59 PM
nope...they don't HAVE to...I have friends who worked at the same company for over three years and didn't get a raise. Generally, raises are given to keep employees around or help with cost of living. Today they announced here that all of the managers were taking a pay cut in order to keep their jobs. I think I would have gotten a new job. With everything going up, there is no way I could get paid less than what I am now.

I'm about to take a new job only 5 miles from my house. My other job was about 45 miles from my house. Should help with gas, but I prolly won't make as much....

Sweetwater Red
08-21-2008, 02:59 PM
Do companies HAVE to give raises, or do they just do by company....

Honestly I don't think a company has to give raises. All they
have to pay is minimum wage but you're not going to keep good
help if you don't pay well. Our co. gives raises in Sept. and March.

LH Panther Mom
08-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Sorry, crzy. At least you were lucky unlike your colleagues.

You should be thankful you have a job! I would've taken a pay cut to keep the one I got laid off from at the end of January. Boo hoo for you.

crzyjournalist03
08-22-2008, 08:50 AM
well, maybe times aren't so bad here after all...there were still free donuts in the breakroom this morning just like every Friday since I've worked here. I just figured that with all the cuts they'd made, that donuts were among the casualties.

waterboy
08-22-2008, 04:18 PM
well, maybe times aren't so bad here after all...there were still free donuts in the breakroom this morning just like every Friday since I've worked here. I just figured that with all the cuts they'd made, that donuts were among the casualties.
They didn't tell you??!:eek: The upper management have expense accounts (credit card and cash reimbursement), and they take turns providing the donuts. They do that for lunch, too! Yeah, those expense cards are one of those perks they don't tell you about until your up there along with them. Mostly all companies limit what you can spend each month, though........at least that's the way it was with the last company I worked for.:D

Necks_Fan
08-22-2008, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Sorry, crzy. At least you were lucky unlike your colleagues.

You should be thankful you have a job! I would've taken a pay cut to keep the one I got laid off from at the end of January. Boo hoo for you. :rolleyes: Lol. It is SO easy to get a job, I'm tired of everybody telling me to be thankful I have a job....

If ANYBODY wanted one, they could go get one at ANY fast food restaurant.

:rolleyes:

mwynn05
08-23-2008, 01:37 AM
:rolleyes: Lol. It is SO easy to get a job, I'm tired of everybody telling me to be thankful I have a job....

:rolleyes: thats not going to pay the bills though so it really doesnt help much

LH Panther Mom
08-23-2008, 05:27 AM
:rolleyes: Lol. It is SO easy to get a job, I'm tired of everybody telling me to be thankful I have a job....

:rolleyes:
If I were a high school or college student, that would be an opportunity that I'd jump at. When you're putting children through high school and college, fast food wages don't cut it.

Necks_Fan
08-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
If I were a high school or college student, that would be an opportunity that I'd jump at. When you're putting children through high school and college, fast food wages don't cut it. That's where your choices and effort along the way come in....

I think that anyone with the right attitude and effort can land a more than adequate job..... the slackers... not so much...

mwynn05
08-23-2008, 12:16 PM
That's where your choices and effort along the way come in....

I think that anyone with the right attitude and effort can land a more than adequate job..... the slackers... not so much... I dont think you understand the economy right now... I know at my job beacuse things are getting so slow i need to start looking for a new job because they are going to cut my hours so low i wont be able to pay my bills...lots of companies are letting people go right now thus the job market is being flooded

Necks_Fan
08-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
I dont think you understand the economy right now... I know at my job beacuse things are getting so slow i need to start looking for a new job because they are going to cut my hours so low i wont be able to pay my bills...lots of companies are letting people go right now thus the job market is being flooded Well, I guess you have a point....