PDA

View Full Version : Vernon - Sweetwater scrimmage

lion75
08-21-2008, 09:12 AM
Is anyone going to give reports tonight? I'm in the Dallas area and that one's a little to far for a scrimmage.

Sweetwater Red
08-21-2008, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by lion75
Is anyone going to give reports tonight? I'm in the Dallas area and that one's a little to far for a scrimmage.

My son and I are going. I can give details afterward. They may
be a little biased though.:D

lion75
08-21-2008, 10:32 AM
Whatever I hear from SW, I just add about one Vernon TD and I figure its pretty acccurate.

BILLYFRED0000
08-21-2008, 03:20 PM
Whatever I hear from SW, I just add about one Vernon TD and I figure its pretty acccurate.

Better make that two......

lion75
08-21-2008, 06:06 PM
:D

Sweetwater Red
08-21-2008, 08:45 PM
:D

Sweetwater flat out dominated Vernon and outscored them 2-0.:D

Sweetwater scored on two 70 yard drives. Vernon didn't make
7 first downs.:devil:

But seriously, I thought we looked pretty good. The one player
that stood out the most to me from Vernon was #46 at FB & NG.

Vernon's QB can through a dart. One pass was on a rope but he
overthrew the WR. On another play, he had one WR get behind the
coverage and was wide open and he lead him to far. If he
improves his accuracy he's gonna be a good one.

Stangs325
08-21-2008, 10:23 PM
Sweetwaters D shut em out and they were without their startin DE and OLB. and they did alot more subbing than they will in a usual game. Their O looked pretty solid too. Backfield looked very fast. And i gota kick outa their all white jerseys with no numbers since the Burkburnet coaches were there scouting

WTF-82
08-21-2008, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Stangs325
Sweetwaters D shut em out and they were without their startin DE and OLB. and they did alot more subbing than they will in a usual game. Their O looked pretty solid too. Backfield looked very fast. And i gota kick outa their all white jerseys with no numbers since the Burkburnet coaches were there scouting

This is the one thing that Sweetwater always has is great D hard to score points against specially when that confidence is up. In the past same story if they could do the same offenisvly they probably could of won a couple more state titles last one was '85.
Last 25 years they have had the talent to.

Matthew328
08-21-2008, 11:50 PM
Vernon may struggle some early....they just don't have those skill kids they usually do

lion75
08-22-2008, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Vernon may struggle some early....they just don't have those skill kids they usually do They don't have quite as many skill kids, but the word out of Vernon is that they weren't going to play Whiteside that much during the scrimmages and they wanted to mix the sophs and other younger players in on the first string controlled part of the scrimmage because they already know what they have in Whiteside (3yr starter) and they just haven't seen enough of these young people against quality competition. Whiteside didn't hardly run at all vs.Daingerfield and I noticed that Methvin (soph) and some other newbies were getting mixed in and out with first string all night. It is possible that Sweetwater may have also had a revenge factor in play, after the way Vernon dogged them out in the playoffs the last two years. But seriously, with their youth Vernon should struggle some early, like they did two years ago, finishing 5-5 before rolling into the semis.

Sweetwater Red
08-22-2008, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Vernon may struggle some early....they just don't have those skill kids they usually do

I have to admit that was not the Vernon team I'm used to
seeing. Especially one that has made a habit of knocking us
out of the playoffs recently. I know it wasn't anything but a
glorified practice but I'm sure Vernon will be alot better when
it does matter.

Sweetwater Red
08-22-2008, 08:19 AM

Well that explains why they were wearing the practice jerseys.:doh:

The only one I could point out for sure was Rufus McCann (FB/MLB). Every
team has their version of a Beast. He is ours.:D

Sweetwater Red
08-22-2008, 09:31 AM
It's a little late but here is what the local newspaper said
prior to lastnight's scrimmage.

http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/content/view/106441/122/

Mustangs host Lions in final tuneup

Written by Ron Howell

Thursday, 21 August 2008

It won't count on their record, but tonight's final scrimmage against Vernon — which will begin at approximately 6 p.m. at Mustang Bowl after freshman and JV skirmishes at 5 — should give Sweetwater a good idea of what's in store when the 2008 season begins next week. Vernon has been responsible for ending Sweetwater's last two seasons, and three of the past five, with victories in the playoffs. But Mustang head coach Kent Jackson said there is no bitterness between the schools. "It's always good to hook it up against Vernon re-gardless of what has happened," he said. "There's a mutual respect between us. We know it will be a great test; it will be a street fight."
Sweetwater scored twice in last week's opening scrimmage at Midland Christian as Ken-neth Norman and A.J. McCoy rushed for touchdowns.
Tonight's format calls for both teams to run two sets of 12 plays in a controlled scrimmage, followed by a "live" quarter when the scoreboard will be in use.
To help with the Texas High School Coaches Association's Benevolence Fund, donations will be accepted at tonight's scrimmage with all of the proceeds going to assist athletes and coaches with special needs or hardships.

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-22-2008, 11:08 AM
Very classy programs.

From what I heard Swater was all over the Lions. -- glad it was a scrimmage.

Sweetwater Red
08-22-2008, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
Very classy programs.

From what I heard Swater was all over the Lions. -- glad it was a scrimmage.

Well, I was trying to be humble but to be honest our defense
was in Vernon's back field all day. A couple of times are D-line
tackled the QB and RB at the same time while he was trying
to handoff the ball. It looked just like ya'll did against us in
Lubbock when ya'll won 6-3. Vernon's O-line is really undersized
and they looked overmatched in this. You're right though it
was just a scrimmage. Both teams have six weeks before the
W's and L's matter.

Stangs325
08-22-2008, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Well that explains why they were wearing the practice jerseys.:doh:

The only one I could point out for sure was Rufus McCann (FB/MLB). Every
team has their version of a Beast. He is ours.:D

haha that he is. but yeah i agree. i could only tell who a few of them were. i had the whole startin backfield pointed out because they all kinda stood out in their own way but besides them everyone looked just about the same. I bet the burk coaches had fun with that haha

Sweetwater Red
08-22-2008, 12:16 PM
haha that he is. but yeah i agree. i could only tell who a few of them were. i had the whole startin backfield pointed out because they all kinda stood out in their own way but besides them everyone looked just about the same. I bet the burk coaches had fun with that haha

I'll admit you had me worried with your assessment of the MC
scrimmage. I liked what I saw lastnight though. I can't wait
until Thursday. I won't be able to make the drive because I
have to work to early in the morning. I'll just have to listen to
KXOX. I've already bookmarked a post made by someone with
credibilty that predicted us to lose by ten against Burkburnett.:devil:

footballmom
08-22-2008, 01:23 PM
w's an l's dont matter right now but we have a playoff history an we all know how that goes....

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-22-2008, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by footballmom
w's an l's dont matter right now but we have a playoff history an we all know how that goes....

Easy Football Mom. I remember Mychal Carillo (Sweetwater Royalty) taking it to us in the bowl. This rivalry goes both ways.

Sweetwater Red
08-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
Easy Football Mom. I remember Mychal Carillo (Sweetwater Royalty) taking it to us in the bowl. This rivalry goes both ways.

I might need to clarify. Our d-line looked as good lastnight in
a scrimmage as ya'lls did in the 6-3 playoff win against us. I was
only making the comparison to kinda give a visual. She might
have interpreted that to be trash talking.

Stangs325
08-22-2008, 01:58 PM
I'll admit you had me worried with your assessment of the MC
scrimmage. I liked what I saw lastnight though. I can't wait
until Thursday. I won't be able to make the drive because I
have to work to early in the morning. I'll just have to listen to
KXOX. I've already bookmarked a post made by someone with
credibilty that predicted us to lose by ten against Burkburnett.:devil:

you want to send me that bookmark

Ranger Mom
08-22-2008, 01:59 PM
I might need to clarify. Our d-line looked as good lastnight in
a scrimmage as ya'lls did in the 6-3 playoff win against us. I was
only making the comparison to kinda give a visual. She might
have interpreted that to be trash talking.

You troublemaker!!

Sweetwater Red
08-22-2008, 02:06 PM
you want to send me that bookmark

LOL! Okay but I just played hell trying to figure out how to
forward a PM. It might be a while.:D

I'll give you a couple hints first. He used to own this board
and writes for scouts.com.:devil:

Sweetwater Red
08-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
You troublemaker!!

I know. I think my reputation precedes me sometimes. I'm such
a smart ass that when I am being genuine sincere buys it.:D

Phantom Stang
08-22-2008, 08:41 PM
Mustangs improved in final scrimmage
Written by Ron Howell
Friday, 22 August 2008
It's true that scrimmages are not the same thing as a regular-season game. However, it's also true that Sweetwater was much more efficient against Vernon in Thursday's final scrimmage at Mustang Bowl than in last year's season-ending playoff loss to the Lions.
Sweetwater also looked much better than it had in its opening scrimmage at Midland Christian. The Mustangs scored twice on impressive drives and held the Lions scoreless Thursday, both in the controlled portion of the scrimmage and the "live" 15-minute quarter that followed. After giving up four scores to Midland Christian, Sweetwater gave up some yardage but was tough when it had to be against Vernon, which twice drove inside Sweetwater's 10-yard line only to come up empty.
Sweetwater was in control from the start. After the defense held Vernon to one first down on its first 12-play series, the offense scored on a six-play, 70-yard drive capped by A.J. McCoy's 16-yard run. McCoy was Sweetwater's top rusher with 86 yards on just five carries.
It looked like Vernon would answer Sweetwater's scoring drive with one of its own, as the Lions took 10 plays, nine of them runs, to move from their 30 to Sweetwater's 4-yard line. But the drive stalled, thanks to a procedure penalty and a strong Mustang defensive stand.
Sweetwater went right back to work with another 70-yard touchdown drive, this one taking 11 plays, on its second offensive series. The Mustangs converted three times on third down, including once on third-and-12, to set up Kenneth Norman's 2-yard scoring run.
The "live" quarter was scoreless, though both teams threatened. Vernon got to Sweetwater's 9-yard line, only to fumble it away to the Mustangs. Sweetwater then held the ball for nearly nine minutes in moving to Vernon's 40, where a long fourth-down pass was ruled out of bounds.
Sweetwater outgained Vernon by a 290-108 margin (237 yards rushing), and committed just one turnover. Other individual rushers were Daniel Jackson with 44 yards, Zach Birdwell with 38, Rufus McCann with 30, Steven Fields with 19, Norman with 17 and Jason Vause with 4.
Birdwell also completed two passes totaling 45 yards, and Jeremy Barnes completed an 8-yard pass.
"I felt like we moved the ball pretty well," said head coach Kent Jackson, who also gave kudos to his team's improved defensive effort and said he would spend the next few days looking at film and further evaluating the positions where starters have yet to be determined. "We're lucky to have some depth. We've got to have people who can step in and we tried to give a lot of kids of lot of looks tonight."
Sweetwater play again on a Thursday when it begins the season on Aug. 28 against Burkburnett at the Times Record News Kickoff Classic in Wichita Falls.

www.sweetwaterreporter.com/content/view/106616/122/

Stownhorse
08-22-2008, 09:10 PM
One thing is for sure. This season is going to be VERY interesting to watch for Sweetwater fans.

Give Vernon a few games and the district champ. and they will be locked and loaded for playoffs. Always are...

ASUFrisbeeStud
08-22-2008, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by ***-82
This is the one thing that Sweetwater always has is great D hard to score points against specially when that confidence is up. In the past same story if they could do the same offenisvly they probably could of won a couple more state titles last one was '85.
Last 25 years they have had the talent to.

Yeah when I played we had the best offense you could ask for and absolutly no D.

Phantom Stang
08-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
One thing is for sure. This season is going to be VERY interesting to watch for Sweetwater fans.

Explain please.
I live out of town and haven't gotten to see any practices or scrimmages.