Let's see where this thread ends up.

Sports related or Non-sports related?

pirate4state
08-20-2008, 04:16 PM
You must be really bored.

piratebg
08-20-2008, 04:17 PM
It's on ESPN so it is a sport.

What about a thread about tether ball? Is that sports related?

BobcatBenny
08-20-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
You must be really bored.
Oh come on p4s. You have got to know me well enough by now. :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot:

eagles_victory
08-20-2008, 04:21 PM
One reason I dont like this suggestion is so many shades of gray

Where do competive eating contest go?
What about washer throwing contest?
WHat about weight lifting contest?
Under water basket weaving
Frisbee throwing?
Dodgeball stories?
Diving contest?
Roller derby?
Surfing?
Bungee Jumping?
Frisbee golf?
Break dancing national championships?
Putt-putt golf?

pirate4state
08-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by piratebg

Dude, tether ball rocked! Is tether ball broadcast on ESPN or ESPN the ocho? :thinking:

BobcatBenny
08-20-2008, 04:22 PM

Good question! :thinking:

I saw kite flying during the Olympic broadcast last night. And ... I heard baseball is no longer a sport. At least according to Olympic standards. :eek:

piratebg
08-20-2008, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory

Frisbee throwing?
Dodgeball stories?
Diving contest?
Roller derby?
Surfing?
Bungee Jumping?
Frisbee golf?
Putt-putt golf?

What about the "Bedroom Olympics"? ;)

pirate4state
08-20-2008, 04:23 PM

Frisbee throwing?
Dodgeball stories?
Diving contest?
Roller derby?
Surfing?
Bungee Jumping?
Frisbee golf?
Putt-putt golf?

Like everything else the mod/admin available will decide & you'll just have to live with it and if you don't like it then I guess you can go on & on about it on the non sports forum. Or we can help ya out and give you a break from the stresses of determining what is or isn't acceptable as a sports topic. :)

jason
08-20-2008, 04:24 PM
anything that involves scoring points in some sort of fashion and a clear cut winner based on those points is a sport...

anything that involves judging or subjectiveness is not a sport.....gymnastics would be a good example of that....it might be an athletic event, but not a sport....

DU_stud04
08-20-2008, 04:32 PM
its not a sport.... move it. :)

BobcatBenny
Originally posted by jason
anything that involves scoring points in some sort of fashion and a clear cut winner based on those points is a sport...

anything that involves judging or subjectiveness is not a sport.....gymnastics would be a good example of that....it might be an athletic event, but not a sport....

What about if the object is to not score points?

piratebg
What about the "Bedroom Olympics"? ;)

It's all about "scoring". :D

crzyjournalist03
08-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
What about if the object is to not score points?

Yeah...I've seen cup stacking on ESPN...no points involved there!

jason
08-20-2008, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Yeah...I've seen cup stacking on ESPN...no points involved there! but there is a clear cut winner - whoever finishes first wins - they dont decide who made the prettiest stack or who had the best form while stacking to decide the winner....

crzyjournalist03
08-20-2008, 04:42 PM
but there is a clear cut winner - whoever finishes first wins - they dont decide who made the prettiest stack or who had the best form while stacking to decide the winner....

Oh, I don't disagree with you at all...that's been my determination for years. If judging is involved in the final decision, it's not a sport. Cheerleading, figure skating, gymnastics, synchronized swimming et al. Definitely athletic, but not sports.

Boxing is the one that I get stuck on, because in the event of a knockout, it qualifies under sport, but if not, it falls under judging.

BobcatBenny
08-20-2008, 04:42 PM
but there is a clear cut winner - whoever finishes first wins - they dont decide who made the prettiest stack or who had the best form while stacking to decide the winner....
What about a sport where everyone wins?

Like women's beach volleyball. :eek:

sinfan75
08-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Auto racing is as much a sport as football.

Trashman
08-20-2008, 07:32 PM

No, no, no..........in cup stacking it's all about the landing!:D :D :D :D

GreenMonster
08-20-2008, 10:21 PM
NASCAR has more mathletes that make a serious difference than actual athletes that make a difference. NASCAR is NOT a sport and never will be, the best athletes on the track are the tire changers. Besides that, just really how tough is it to turn left 1000 times?

eagles_victory
08-20-2008, 10:38 PM
What about a sport where everyone wins?

Like women's beach volleyball. :eek: It doesnt get a whole lot better then seeing Misty Mays bottom in those uniforms.

GreenMonster
08-20-2008, 10:43 PM
It doesnt get a whole lot better then seeing Misty Mays bottom in those uniforms. I will second that! :thumbsup:

Necks_Fan
08-20-2008, 10:51 PM
I don't see why everybody gets pissed when someone posts about a "sport" that's not a sport in some people's eyes.

We can post about Squirrels doing it outside our window, or how they caught a chupacabra and big foot, or how some person did this, or that or whatever, or any number of stupid, senseless things we can come up with......... but God forbid someone post about Nascar or Ping Pong or something....

Just confuses the crap outta me....:thinking:

BobcatBenny
08-20-2008, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
I don't see why everybody gets pissed when someone posts about a "sport" that's not a sport in some people's eyes.

We can post about Squirrels doing it outside our window, or how they caught a chupacabra and big foot, or how some person did this, or that or whatever, or any number of stupid, senseless things we can come up with......... but God forbid someone post about Nascar or Ping Pong or something....

Just confuses the crap outta me....:thinking:
Now confusing the crap outta someone is a sport. There is a clear winner and a clear loser. :p

lostaussie
08-21-2008, 07:47 AM
I think the national spelling bee is on ESPN. sport or non-sport:thinking:

LH Panther Mom
08-21-2008, 07:53 AM
Now confusing the crap outta someone is a sport.
In some cases, it's not even close to being a contest. :devil:

waterboy
08-21-2008, 10:57 AM
I think the Olympic committee should add midget tossing to the venue. That way one of our posters could have a chance at a gold medal.:D