PDA

View Full Version : Anyone a HAM operator?

IHStangFan
08-19-2008, 09:37 PM
Alright amateur radio guys, school me. I've got a Motorola GM300 that I was given from work. I have repaired it, and plan to program it up in the 70cm/2M band. I have tested the radio and it is putting out around 40W and freq. error is minimal. Good mod, rcvr checks out, etc. etc. I have made the 16 pin accessory plug so that I get audio outa of my speaker, etc. Any addition useful info on the radio, tweaks, etc. would be appreciated as well. Now....I am currently trying to come up w/ a reliable design for a J-pole antenna using copper tubing. I have seen some plans online, but needs some "how to". Any of you guys on the up 'n up on this stuff? I plan on getting my license very soon, so don't go postal on me for not having it yet. :D

sinton66
08-19-2008, 09:52 PM
Are you sure it'll reprogram to those freqs? What does that transpose to in megahertz?

There are several good ham sites on the internet. Also a good site for Motorola info @ www.batlabs.com

I'm not into ham, but there are some on there.

IHStangFan
08-19-2008, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Are you sure it'll reprogram to those freqs? What does that transpose to in megahertz?

There are several good ham sites on the internet. Also a good site for Motorola info @ www.batlabs.com

I'm not into ham, but there are some on there. Hey Tony! Yeah, its in the 400mhz range....440 to be exact. This particular model will do those freqs. You can "fool" the GM300 and others if you are just a few mhz off by inputting your freqs w/ the shift key depressed and inputing the symbols on said numbers except for the decimal point. Probably cuts down on your XMTR life though I'd suspect, but this radio will do it w/ no cheats. I've put some freqs in it just to make sure. Evidently we were going to throw the radio out, and I asked if I could have it. Put it on the bench, a few solders later, she's good as new!! Batlabs is awesome, use it all the time.

sinton66
08-19-2008, 10:50 PM
I used to see ham questions on there all the time. Haven't been on in a while though. I'm on there under my real name.

Are you doing base or mobile?

Wilson has some good mobile ham antennas.

navscanmaster
08-20-2008, 03:14 AM
We do have some support forums at www.radioreference.com if you want to check that out. That website has exploded in the last few years with hundreds of thousands of members. Also lots and lots of frequencies for public safety and businesses if you have a scanner. I am a database administrator over there. That is where I am when I am not browsing here. Come check it out, registration is free.