PDA

View Full Version : Sprinters and "slowing down"

wimbo_pro
08-19-2008, 07:18 PM
Someone explain to me why sprinters "ease up" in the heats, just before the finish line. I just saw one of our sprinters slow down, and now regrets she did because she was over-taken at the last second and she lost the advantage of lane assignment. Why would you EVER slow down at the last few seconds anyway? It cant be to save energy...come on, its a 23 second race for a highly trained athelete!

popcorn screen
08-19-2008, 07:36 PM
If you were that fast and you let up with 30 yards to go and still won easily........your opponents know that it is over!! Not saying I agree with Bolt and others letting up, but they are world class sprinters and they probably know what they are doing.

cshscougar08
08-19-2008, 07:53 PM
I don't have an issue with it. Like you said, they're world class sprinters that know what they're doing. So hey whatever gives them the best opportunity to win, go for it.

wimbo_pro
08-19-2008, 08:10 PM
Obviously they wouldnt listen to me...but my point is...why in the world would they loosen up, then SUDDENLY be caught and lose the advantage of lane position...when all they had to do was keep the effort up for another 3 seconds!!!! It doesnt make sense to me.

If lane position is so important, then explain to me why they are willing to give it up so easily and so unecessarily by "easing up".

Is it that lane position is NOT that important?

popcorn screen
08-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Agreed. If the prelim is close, they should fight for lane position. If the race is in the bag, they should throttle down to save energy and potential injury. I am a big believer of continuing 10 yards past the finish, but guys like Bolt....that race was over at the 70 marker.

wimbo_pro
08-19-2008, 08:32 PM
Not talking about Bolt...was referring to one of our female sprinters earlier today (or yesterday, depends on how you measure it0.

Old Dog
08-19-2008, 09:11 PM
Old school says run the play out or in track finish the race. Sometimes there are consequences for not doing the old school thing, like losing good lane assignments or in football getting your butt busted at the two yard line for not finishing a play. Personally I see it as arrogance, but thats just me........................who was not very fast at all!

Chief Woodman
08-19-2008, 10:03 PM
I ran a 10.4 in High school, and ran through the finish every single time. Yet my coach was always on me anyway. He said that time was way too slow for the fourty yard dash. I don't get it at all.....

DU_stud04
08-19-2008, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Chief Woodman
I ran a 10.4 in High school, and ran through the finish every single time. Yet my coach was always on me anyway. He said that time was way too slow for the fourty yard dash. I don't get it at all..... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

BwdLion73
08-19-2008, 10:16 PM
Speaking of running ... I was told that I was a water faucet! Coach Southall said..."I know your running...but your not going anywhere!:o

buff4ever
08-20-2008, 12:32 AM
I guess I am old school, b/c I think it reflects the attitude of today's athletes. I don't remember seeing this being as common even 4 years ago, much less 8 to 16 years ago.

The only place I see it as acceptable is when it comes to phelps and you are going for 8 gold medals and having to swim 2 or 3 races a day. It didn't ever come across as arrogant when he was conserving energy for a medal race that would happen less than an hour after a prelim race.

waterboy
08-20-2008, 08:08 AM
I feel cheated a little when a runner slows down before the finish line. I don't understand why they do that. I feel that on the shorter, sprint-type races the runner should run all the way through the race. Who knows how many times the world records could've been broken if they would've just run all the way through their race.

ziggy29
08-20-2008, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
I feel cheated a little when a runner slows down before the finish line. I don't understand why they do that. I feel that on the shorter, sprint-type races the runner should run all the way through the race. Who knows how many times the world records could've been broken if they would've just run all the way through their race.
I'm trying to imagine the time Bolt could have posted if he didn't start showboating in the last 20 of the 100 meter final. 9.69 was ridiculous enough as it is; could he have broken 9.6 if he tried?

waterboy
08-20-2008, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by ziggy29
I'm trying to imagine the time Bolt could have posted if he didn't start showboating in the last 20 of the 100 meter final. 9.69 was ridiculous enough as it is; could he have broken 9.6 if he tried?
I feel like he could've broken it easily, but we'll never know. The arrogance of some people just plain pisses me off. Bolt is a great athlete, no doubt, but the showboating just turned me against him. I would love to see him flop in the finals, call it poetic justice.;)

eagles_victory
08-20-2008, 09:31 AM
I dont know a whole lot about sprinting but I am pretty sure this is common practice to conserve energy I remember Micheal Johnson not running his fastest in qualifying. You never see world records broken in qualifying or even the semi finals of a major race.

As for Bolt all he was doing was showing emotion that he had just won the biggest race of his life. I dont really see the problem with it I mean you see it in every sport you just dont see it in track because you never see anyone so much better than the field that they can afford to do it.

44INAROW
08-20-2008, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Chief Woodman
I ran a 10.4 in High school, and ran through the finish every single time. Yet my coach was always on me anyway. He said that time was way too slow for the fourty yard dash. I don't get it at all.....

nominations being accepted for best comeback/reply of the day :clap: :D

Ranger Mom
08-20-2008, 09:41 AM
I disagree with everyone who agrees!!:D

How much energy can you possible conserve in that last 3 seconds!

Run it ALL the way through!!

My mind will never change on that!!

forum_guy
08-20-2008, 09:42 AM
I feel like he could've broken it easily, but we'll never know. The arrogance of some people just plain pisses me off. Bolt is a great athlete, no doubt, but the showboating just turned me against him. I would love to see him flop in the finals, call it poetic justice.;)

lol thats funny but he is never going to flop...he will probably run a 9.3 in london

waterboy
08-20-2008, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

:ditto: :iagree: :2thumbsup

eagles_victory
08-20-2008, 09:44 AM

My mind will never change on that!! If everyone does it there must be some reason and some advantage to doing it.

waterboy
08-20-2008, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by forum_guy
lol thats funny but he is never going to flop...he will probably run a 9.3 in london
Just wishful thinking........and never say never. Chances are he won't flop and he will probably break the world record. I would rather see an American win it though, though.

Pick6
08-20-2008, 09:48 AM
The arrogance...the showboating

Welcome to the ESPN athlete. ESPN has turned today's athlete's into showboaters so they will be put on TV.

Phil C
08-20-2008, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Pick6
Welcome to the ESPN athlete. ESPN has turned today's athlete's into showboaters so they will be put on TV.

It worked for Mohammed Ali and it helped boxing and helped him get more money and it was prosperous not only for himself but for the media and even his opponents.

Pick6
08-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
It worked for Mohammed Ali and it helped boxing and helped him get more money and it was prosperous not only for himself but for the media and even his opponents.

That's a very small point for you. How many other athlete's were showboating like that before the 80's? ESPN and TV has changed the way athlete's act today. Maybe that is why we enjoy High School football so much, the showboating isn't allowed the way it is in the NFL.

forum_guy
08-20-2008, 11:22 AM
That's a very small point for you. How many other athlete's were showboating like that before the 80's? ESPN and TV has changed the way athlete's act today. Maybe that is why we enjoy High School football so much, the showboating isn't allowed the way it is in the NFL.

actually the opportunity for endorsements sometimes change the way an athlete acts which i think isnt a problem...actually i enjoy high school football alot but i love seeing touchdown dances on sundays in the endzone...why would u not...they earned the right to do dances by scoring the td

DaHop72
08-20-2008, 11:28 AM
A lot of track stars are paid a bonus each time they break a world record by their governments. Just a thought.:thinking: :thinking:

Phil C
08-20-2008, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by DaHop72
A lot of track stars are paid a bonus each time they break a world record by their governments. Just a thought.:thinking: :thinking:

Da Michael Phelps got a $1M bonus when he won his seventh gold medal. Plus I am sure there is much more prosperity coming.

Old Tiger
08-20-2008, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by buff4ever
I guess I am old school, b/c I think it reflects the attitude of today's athletes. I don't remember seeing this being as common even 4 years ago, much less 8 to 16 years ago.

The only place I see it as acceptable is when it comes to phelps and you are going for 8 gold medals and having to swim 2 or 3 races a day. It didn't ever come across as arrogant when he was conserving energy for a medal race that would happen less than an hour after a prelim race. todays athletes can jog what yesterdays athletes put their all in to run

wimbo_pro
08-20-2008, 12:13 PM
actually i enjoy high school football alot but i love seeing touchdown dances on sundays in the endzone...why would u not...they earned the right to do dances by scoring the td

I dont so much mind a TD dance in the pro's (not high school), but I DO have a problem with a pro making a very average and totally expected tackle, then jumping up and flying around the field like he was Wonder Dog or something...it is getting to be too much.

If it continues at this pace, they'll soon come out and do a celebration dance for successfully drinking Gatorade.

forum_guy
08-21-2008, 10:01 AM
well he definitely didnt slow down to win the 200...did u guys see that 19.3...that was awesome....they have a legitamate argument on espn about what bolt did is better than phelps...they said the competition is always tougher in track and more people are likely to do track then swim..most people do not pursue swimming like they do track so the track class is deeper with athletes...but dont get me wrong what phelps did was amazing..

Pick6
08-21-2008, 10:10 AM
well he definitely didnt slow down to win the 200...did u guys see that 19.3...that was awesome....they have a legitamate argument on espn about what bolt did is better than phelps...they said the competition is always tougher in track and more people are likely to do track then swim..most people do not pursue swimming like they do track so the track class is deeper with athletes...but dont get me wrong what phelps did was amazing..

Phelps had 17 swims, a few of them within an hour of the last swim. How many runs did Bolt have and how many were within the same hour? What they both did was awesome, but Phelps was better.

forum_guy
08-21-2008, 10:34 AM
yeah the way he would do race after race was why he was better but they were just talkin about the overall competition with both sports

waterboy
08-21-2008, 10:49 AM
Phelps had 17 swims, a few of them within an hour of the last swim. How many runs did Bolt have and how many were within the same hour? What they both did was awesome, but Phelps was better.
I agree. What Phelps did was more impressive. Someone who wins 8 gold medals and sets 7 world records has to get the nod for being more impressive. What Bolt did was impressive, though.

Old Tiger
08-21-2008, 11:27 AM
all I know is that I'm more tired after a long swim than I am after a long run

Emerson1
08-21-2008, 11:39 AM

I am sure lots of money has been spent researching this so they probably know what they are doing.

Ranger Mom
08-21-2008, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I am sure lots of money has been spent researching this so they probably know what they are doing.

So?? Your point is?

eagles_victory
08-21-2008, 11:43 AM
I agree. What Phelps did was more impressive. Someone who wins 8 gold medals and sets 7 world records has to get the nod for being more impressive. What Bolt did was impressive, though. You have to take the world records with a grain of salt because world records were falling right and left in these olympics in swimming. With the new swimsuits available for these olympics it was a big advantage over what the older people had. Now looking at Bolt he broke a 12 year old world record in the 200.

Emerson1
08-21-2008, 11:44 AM
So?? Your point is?
Your wrong

Ranger Mom
08-21-2008, 11:52 AM
Your wrong

I stated MY opinion and just because it doesn't agree with YOURS or anyone elses opinion doesn't necessarily make it wrong!

You are still mad about the split forum.....right??:)

Emerson1
08-21-2008, 11:54 AM
I stated MY opinion and just because it doesn't agree with YOURS or anyone elses opinion doesn't necessarily make it wrong!

You are still mad about the split forum.....right??:)
But you can't have an opinion on something that is a fact.

That is like saying it's my opinion that the Cowboys won the super bowl last year.

Ranger Mom
08-21-2008, 11:56 AM
But you can't have an opinion on something that is a fact.

Just because you say "I am sure lots of money has been spent researching this so they probably know what they are doing."......doesn't make it fact for me.

Especially when you added "probably" into the mix!!

Pick6
08-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
You have to take the world records with a grain of salt because world records were falling right and left in these olympics in swimming. With the new swimsuits available for these olympics it was a big advantage over what the older people had. Now looking at Bolt he broke a 12 year old world record in the 200.

So you're saying that Tiger Woods wouldn't have a chance back in the 30's thru the early 80's since he uses golf clubs made today? "tools of the trait" change all the time.

eagles_victory
08-21-2008, 12:11 PM
So you're saying that Tiger Woods wouldn't have a chance back in the 30's thru the early 80's since he uses golf clubs made today? "tools of the trait" change all the time. First I would like to point out the logical fallacy of a slippery slope. Second I never said anything about Phelps having a chance I said he still would of won if it was the old swimsuits but you cant argue with the facts about the world records when you had races where the top 5 teams in the relay all beat the old world record. Also, more world records were set in this olympics then the previous 2 combined.

waterboy
08-21-2008, 12:16 PM
You have to take the world records with a grain of salt because world records were falling right and left in these olympics in swimming. With the new swimsuits available for these olympics it was a big advantage over what the older people had. Now looking at Bolt he broke a 12 year old world record in the 200.
A world record is a world record! Yes, records "were falling right and left", but most of those world records were not only broken, they were shattered! Honestly, I think the swimsuits only had a marginal effect on the outcomes, maybe a couple of 1/10s. That's like saying Bolt broke those records because of the shoes. :eek: I'm not buying it.:hand:

eagles_victory
08-21-2008, 12:24 PM
A world record is a world record! Yes, records "were falling right and left", but most of those world records were not only broken, they were shattered! Honestly, I think the swimsuits only had a marginal effect on the outcomes, maybe a couple of 1/10s. That's like saying Bolt broke those records because of the shoes. :eek: I'm not buying it.:hand: Well Im not working on commision so i dont care what your buying. Facts are facts a world record is more watered down when its been broken numerous times.

waterboy
08-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Well Im not working on commision so i dont care what your buying. Facts are facts a world record is more watered down when its been broken numerous times.
It's looks to me like you're trying to sell me something that doesn't hold water, so yes, I'm not buying. You may think it's watered down, but it isn't. The athletes today are just plain better than they were years ago. Michael Phelps' feats will not be repeated by anyone in the foreseeable future, I'll stake money on that. I wouldn't feel as comfortable making that bet if it were with Bolt's records. Just my opinion.........and they won't change.

Ranger Mom
08-21-2008, 01:10 PM
It's looks to me like you're trying to sell me something that doesn't hold water, so yes, I'm not buying. You may think it's watered down, but it isn't. The athletes today are just plain better than they were years ago. Michael Phelps' feats will not be repeated by anyone in the foreseeable future, I'll stake money on that. I wouldn't feel as comfortable making that bet if it were with Bolt's records. Just my opinion.........and they won't change.

Oh...did you not read Emersons post?? You aren't allowed to have an opinion if someone else thinks they know the facts!!

That's a fact!! (In my opinion!!):p

pirate4state
08-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Well Im not working on commision so i dont care what your buying. haha that's a good one

Facts are facts a world record is more watered down when its been broken numerous times. is this a fact or your opinion that it should be a fact? :thinking: :vrycnfsd:

Pick6
08-21-2008, 01:15 PM
Facts are facts a world record is more watered down when its been broken numerous times.

Another fact, that's a pretty stupid comment.

wimbo_pro
08-21-2008, 01:18 PM
Ayways...the point of the thread....ummmm.....what I was talking about was....errrrrrr.....ummmmm.....

Never mind.

waterboy
08-21-2008, 02:28 PM
Another fact, that's a pretty stupid comment.
:iagree: It is stupid, ain't it? Records being broken numerous times waters it down?:confused:

eagles_victory
08-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Another fact, that's a pretty stupid comment. A record isnt near as prestigous if it has been broken several times recently is my point. Look at when Bonds broke Mcguires record it wasnt near as big of a deal when Bonds did it (before roid allegations). But when Mcguire broke Maris's record it was huge. When someone breaks a record that is long standing it is more impressive then a record that is broken fairly regularly is the point I was making. Still trying to figure out how that was stupid.

Farmersfan
08-21-2008, 03:22 PM
I heard on the radio today that Bolts record time was broken down into 10 meter increments. They calculated him running a 4.22 40 meters............................

Txbroadcaster
08-21-2008, 03:34 PM
A record isnt near as prestigous if it has been broken several times recently is my point. Look at when Bonds broke Mcguires record it wasnt near as big of a deal when Bonds did it (before roid allegations). But when Mcguire broke Maris's record it was huge. When someone breaks a record that is long standing it is more impressive then a record that is broken fairly regularly is the point I was making. Still trying to figure out how that was stupid.

I understand what EV is saying

When a record is broken over and over in a short time frame it does lose it's luster UNLESS two people keep trading the record, then it is competitive and see who ups who..but overall when a record is broked almost every event, it is not as exciting

Pick6
08-21-2008, 03:34 PM
A record isnt near as prestigous if it has been broken several times recently is my point. Look at when Bonds broke Mcguires record it wasnt near as big of a deal when Bonds did it (before roid allegations). But when Mcguire broke Maris's record it was huge. When someone breaks a record that is long standing it is more impressive then a record that is broken fairly regularly is the point I was making. Still trying to figure out how that was stupid.

People loved McGuire and the Cardinals was have a bigger following than the Giants. That's why it was so big. Bonds own team mates didn't like him. Keep throwing stuff, something might stick.

Ranger Mom
08-21-2008, 03:39 PM
A record isnt near as prestigous if it has been broken several times recently is my point.

I agree with that!!

pirate4state
08-21-2008, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

When a record is broken over and over in a short time frame it does lose it's luster UNLESS two people keep trading the record, then it is competitive and see who ups who..but overall when a record is broked almost every event, it is not as exciting

According to you. That's why it's an opinion, but that doesn't make it a fact. Now, had EV used proper punctuation, we might not be at this juncture. ;)

Or we might still be there, who knows? :D

pirate4state
08-21-2008, 03:41 PM
I agree with that!! but it still doesn't make it a fact! :p

what in the hell are we talking about?? :crazy1:

Ranger Mom
08-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
but it still doesn't make it a fact! :p

That's a fact!!

Or, is it?:thinking: :confused:

Pick6
08-21-2008, 03:46 PM
That's a fact!!

Or, is it?:thinking: :confused:

I think the only fact here is that some of us should just agree to disagree and move on.

eagles_victory
08-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Back to my original point before i let my train of thought be derailed by pick 6's faulty logic. Overall you have to say what Phelps did was more impressive then what Bolt did. However, Bolts induvidual performaces in the 100 and 200 were more dominant then what Phelps did in any 2 events he was in.

To me when you saw Phelps win you were impressed by what he was trying to do and you instantly thought 3 down 5 to go or something like that. When you saw Bolt run you went OMG he just dominated that race like nothing I have ever seen before.

I just feel bad for Wimbo_Pro this was the ultimate :hijacktd:

Pick6
08-21-2008, 03:52 PM
Back to my original point before i let my train of thought be derailed by pick 6's faulty logic. Overall you have to say what Phelps did was more impressive then what Bolt did. However, Bolts induvidual performaces in the 100 and 200 were more dominant then what Phelps did in any 2 events he was in.

To me when you saw Phelps win you were impressed by what he was trying to do and you instantly thought 3 down 5 to go or something like that. When you saw Bolt run you went OMG he just dominated that race like nothing I have ever seen before.

Wrong. Phelps did something that's never been done, won 8 medals. He dominated swimming like it's never been dominated before. Bolt did something that has been done before, won the 100 and 200 in the same Olympics.

eagles_victory
08-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Wrong. Phelps did something that's never been done, won 8 medals. He dominated swimming like it's never been dominated before. Bolt did something that has been done before, won the 100 and 200 in the same Olympics. Wrong Bolt did something that had never been done won the 100 and 200 in the same olympics by breaking both World Records. Also Phelps didnt do something that hadnt been done before by winning 8 medals didnt he win 8 medals in Athens :confused: Yea he did. I think you meant he was the only person to ever win 8 golds.

waterboy
08-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

It may not be as exciting, but it doesn't water down the value of it. Phelps and Bolt both did some amazing feats, and I'm not knocking either. I just can't see how anyone can say that Bolt's feats were more amazing than Phelps'. Eight gold medals, seven world records in one Olympics is amazing no matter how you look at it. How long has it been since Mark Spitz won those 7 gold medals?

eagles_victory
08-21-2008, 03:59 PM
It may not be as exciting, but it doesn't water down the value of it. Phelps and Bolt both did some amazing feats, and I'm not knocking either. I just can't see how anyone can say that Bolt's feats were more amazing than Phelps'. Eight gold medals, seven world records in one Olympics is amazing no matter how you look at it. How long has it been since Mark Spitz won those 7 gold medals? 72 I believe

waterboy
08-21-2008, 04:29 PM
72 I believe
That's what I thought. That's 36 years! It'll probably be that long or longer before anyone ever duplicates that feat. I don't know that anyone will ever compete in that many events again. That's amazing any way you look at it.

eagles_victory
08-21-2008, 04:35 PM
That's what I thought. That's 36 years! It'll probably be that long or longer before anyone ever duplicates that feat. I don't know that anyone will ever compete in that many events again. That's amazing any way you look at it. They were talking about the program changing after this olympics so I dont know if it will be possible with the program change but I dont know exactly what those changes are and how it will effect someone trying to do this.

wimbo_pro
08-21-2008, 04:41 PM

I just feel bad for Wimbo_Pro this was the ultimate :hijacktd:

No problem...I have hijacked a few myself!!!

forum_guy
08-21-2008, 07:54 PM
So you're saying that Tiger Woods wouldn't have a chance back in the 30's thru the early 80's since he uses golf clubs made today? "tools of the trait" change all the time.

i agree but u gotta also take in the fact that back in the sam snead days they didnt have people coaching them they taught themselves...tiger was pretty much forced to play golf by a club being placed into his hands so early and has been coached for 20 plus years and in those days there was way more competition than now

wimbo_pro
08-21-2008, 08:27 PM

Tiger Woods wouldnt have had a chance in the 30's through the 80's cuz he wouldnt of been allowed to play at most courses!!!