PDA

View Full Version : Taylor\Burnet scrimmage???

Dogman_1969
08-18-2008, 09:15 PM
any info????

espn1
08-18-2008, 09:22 PM
The fact that nobody from Burnet is on here, is a clear indicator that we need to be worried! I'll still take 3A over 4A any day!

Emerson1
08-18-2008, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by espn1
The fact that nobody from Burnet is on here, is a clear indicator that we need to be worried! I'll still take 3A over 4A any day!
They will be. I think Burnet and Forney never left the top 5 in people from the town

ILS1
08-18-2008, 09:38 PM
BURNET — The Taylor Ducks laid a solid foundation for what could be a successful season during Saturday’s scrimmage against the Burnet Bulldogs. The Ducks scored four touchdowns, moved the ball systematically and rarely stalled on offense, while their defense swarmed to the ball and held Burnet to just one score.

“Today we got a good look at what we wanted to, and I think our kids did an excellent job,” Taylor coach Rick Cobia said. “I was pleased with the kids’ overall effort, both on offense and defense.”
Burnet, a team that handed last season’s young Taylor squad a 58-12 rout early in the season, struggled with the Ducks’ new defensive scheme. An attacking Taylor defense was able to bring down Bulldogs ball carriers behind the line of scrimmage consistently.

“Defensively, with this new scheme, the kids were flying to the football,” Cobia said.

The Ducks offense overcame an early miscue, fumbling on the first play, to dominate the Bulldogs. Taylor used a strong running game peppered with big pass plays to score first. From just inches out, Trent Rojas powered the first touchdown into the endzone.

Burnet scored their only touchdown on a pass play during their next set. After that, a string of penalties and a consistent Ducks defense shut down the Bulldogs run game. Burnet failed to gain rushing yards during much of the scrimmage and was only able to move the ball through the air.
Taylor scored again after the Ducks offensive line opened a hole for Mark Jackson to break out on a 60-yard touchdown run.

“The offensive line, they’re veterans. They understand the speed of the game and they were hitting and making holes for us,” Cobia said.

The next set of plays was highlighted by a successful 60-yard pass by junior Ricky Cobia to senior Eric Brooks.

“I thought [Ricky] Cobia threw the ball well today. He was hitting his receivers where he wanted to. He went through a little lull where his feet were not set and he was throwing balls where we don’t need to throw them and he was hurrying himself, but he came back and settled in really well,” Coach Cobia said.

Burnet broke loose for a 60-yard dash for a first down, but was stopped just short of the goal line by an impressive tackle from Jackson, who raced from the backfield to stop the run. Burnet wouldn’t cross the line, though, as the Taylor defense made a stand, holding the Bulldogs just inside the five yard line to preserve their lead.

With many Taylor players playing on both sides of the ball, fatigue late in the practice may have contributed to a string of poorly executed plays, including two interceptions and a recovered fumble. The trouble wasn’t too much to overcome though as the Ducks came out with two big first downs, and sophomore Lorenzo Crawford-Sanford scored two more touchdowns, one through the air and one on the ground, to cap a successful outing.

“We saw that we’re out of shape still. The conditioning factor is going to play a part in where we are at right now because some of these kids are going to have to play both offense and defense,” Coach Cobia said.

The Ducks, who ended last year’s season 2-8 and went winless in district, are returning an experienced offensive line that will make way for running back Tristan Meyer, who led the Ducks in carries last season and rushed for 1,180 yards. A number of newcomers also will have the opportunity for big plays.

Juniors Jackson and Cobia will share responsibilities behind center, though the position has yet to be decided. Jackson spent a lot of time all over the field Saturday and is a versatile player that can fit many roles on the offense, whether it is behind center, at wide out or lined up in the backfield.

“We were impressed with [Jackson] because he has the ability to run but he also showed us some throwing today so that is encouraging,” Coach Cobia said.

Coach Cobia said there are still a couple of plays that need some polishing, but that several kids were able to play in multiple positions and that was exciting for him and his coaching staff.

“What impresses us is when those guys that are inside, the guys that no one ever sees, play big. That is what we saw today and I was impressed with that,” Coach Cobia said.

The Ducks took a big step forward towards their goal of reaching the playoffs and having a winning season. The triumphant outing over Burnet should instill confidence in a team that has the chance to prove themselves this season. The Ducks will host Pflugerville Hendrickson Friday at 7:30 p.m. in their final scrimmage before the regular season.

Story Link (www.taylordailypress.net/articles/2008/08/18/sports/news01.txt)

Old Dog
08-18-2008, 09:43 PM
nm

87 TIGER
08-19-2008, 12:17 AM
I was told Burnet won that scrimmage, guess my sources arent that good. Sounds like Taylor might be pretty solid.

espn1
08-19-2008, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Ive said it before. There are specific reasons that Shipley left when he did. Yeah! I can tell you about 20!

LH Panther Mom
08-19-2008, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by 87 TIGER
I was told Burnet won that scrimmage, guess my sources arent that good. Sounds like Taylor might be pretty solid.
:doh: I heard it was 2-2, so I guess my source isn't that great either.

Old Dog
08-19-2008, 10:34 AM
I also heard it was 2-2. That is what I posted and then removed. Where does the true outcome lie.......................

espn1
08-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Everyone I talked to told me that the Taylor paper was totally off base. Some say we won 3-2 others say 2-2. Burnet moved a lot of players around looking for a fit for every position. Burnet had 3 int. that could have gone back for TD's or put us in that position. Burnet definitely had the upper hand.

cameron91
08-19-2008, 11:21 AM
just talked to a co workers his son plays for Taylor and he said to score was 2-2 , but Burnet did have the upper hand. he was surprise to see taylor play like they did.

cameron91
08-19-2008, 11:21 AM
just talked to a co workers his son plays for Taylor and he said to score was 2-2 , but Burnet did have the upper hand. he was surprise to see taylor play like they did.

87 TIGER
08-19-2008, 05:17 PM
So whats up with the Taylor press?

wimbo_pro
08-19-2008, 05:30 PM
I believe the Taylor press report...they used the words "triumphant outing". Come on guys...when you use those words, you GOTTA be speaking the truth.

espn1
08-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Dawgs line up against Taylor's Ducks for opening scrimmage

By Wayne Craig
Bulletin Sports

The Burnet Bulldogs tested themselves for the first time against an opponent on Saturday with a scrimmage against the Taylor Ducks, and while the coaches saw many positive performances there is always some room for improvement.

The BHS coaching staff hopes to work out some of the kinks during practices this week and a scrimmage against Giddings on Thursday in preparation for the big game on August 30.

The Dawgs fared well against the Taylor Ducks with a couple of pick-six interceptions, showcasing what is projected to be a talented defense.

The Ducks did manage to move the ball at times, but for the most part Burnet's defense stood strong with many players switching in and out to give coaches an overall look at their athletes.

On the offensive side of the ball quarterbacks Dillion Chafin, Jack Dickison and Tyler Hughes all saw time in the backfield.

Running backs Bubba Richards, Jathan Craig, Quade Stubblefield, Ethan Lyda, Stephen Young and Chandler West all found success in the running game.

Picking passes out of the air for yardage included receivers Bobby Gage, Justin Wills, Clint Hall, Gage Stubblefield, Chandler West and Quade Stubblefield.

The Dawgs will be in Giddings on Thursday evening as they scrimmage for the final time against the Buffaloes. Their first game of the season is Saturday, Aug. 30 in the Alamodome against the Brownwood Lions. Kick-off is 3:45 p.m.

buff4life
08-22-2008, 01:13 PM
After watching Burnet last night for a while and not having a clue what Brownwood has, i still pick Bwood by atleast 21