PDA

View Full Version : Is your kid an idiot? Move to DISD!

Emerson1
08-18-2008, 02:45 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/081508dnmetdisdgrades.48e6cc22.html

Pick6
08-18-2008, 02:51 PM
"School officials said the new guidelines are needed to ensure that all district teachers operate under the same rules and to create a "fair system" for grading students."

Fair system? How about "everyone" get your paper turned in on Friday or you will get an F.

As long as their is a DISD, your school district will not be the worst.

jason
08-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Pick6

As long as their is a DISD, your school district will not be the worst. apply the same mindset to your city council....

Pick6
08-18-2008, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by jason
apply the same mindset to your city council....

So very true.

3afan
08-18-2008, 03:09 PM
As long as their is a DISD, your school district will not be the worst.

as long as "their" is a DISD ... haha, what ISD did you go to? :D

Pick6
08-18-2008, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
as long as "their" is a DISD ... haha, what ISD did you go to? :D

Forney :)

JR2004
08-18-2008, 10:35 PM
DISD is not the worst. Most comical though? Probably so.

Emerson1
08-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
How 'bout Ft Worth ISD, where if a kid passes the TAKS test, he automatically passes the class, no matter if he never turned anything in, or even ever came to class. They say grades should be determined by knowledge, not work ethic.
Good point but not applied in the right way. We just didn't have to take semester test if we passed.

NateDawg39
08-18-2008, 11:57 PM
I wonder how we rank up at other state systems?

LH Panther Mom
08-19-2008, 12:01 AM
Shoot, then McNeil & the SOC players could've passed!

scrub c
08-19-2008, 04:43 AM
HISD, DISD, FWISD... all are good for a few laughs... from what I hear S.A. isd's are not far behind

kaorder1999
08-19-2008, 08:49 AM
Media has taken this and run with it without a whole lot of research. The majority of this is already being done by most districts but Dallas is just one of the first to actually put it in policy. Students will still be getting zeros if they don't turn work in but in order for that teacher to give a zero they are being asked to make a contact with a parent which is actually pretty important in the inner city schools in an attempt to improve parental involvement.

The way the policy is worded it sounds as if they can always turn work in late and that is just not the case.

Of a kid fails a test they are allowed to retake a test but they aren't going to be given the same version...

Originally posted by scrub c
HISD, DISD, FWISD... all are good for a few laughs... from what I hear S.A. isd's are not far behind

DDBooger
08-19-2008, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
Media has taken this and run with it without a whole lot of research. The majority of this is already being done by most districts but Dallas is just one of the first to actually put it in policy. Students will still be getting zeros if they don't turn work in but in order for that teacher to give a zero they are being asked to make a contact with a parent which is actually pretty important in the inner city schools in an attempt to improve parental involvement.

The way the policy is worded it sounds as if they can always turn work in late and that is just not the case.

Of a kid fails a test they are allowed to retake a test but they aren't going to be given the same version... voice of reason...this goes on everywhere in varying socioeconomic districts...DISD made it official so as ka stated, being official it peeved some people.

ronwx5x
08-19-2008, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
voice of reason...this goes on everywhere in varying socioeconomic districts...DISD made it official so as ka stated, being official it peeved some people.

I don't have children in school anymore, but I am very disappointed in our system if this is true. Saying it is unofficial policy in "most" schools differs from my memories of how my children were taught to turn in work completed and on time or suffer consequences.

Maybe this is one of the reasons the "varying socioeconomic districts" perform so poorly, if they are not held to any standard. I am not an educator and for good reason as I would probably resign in protest.

DDBooger
08-19-2008, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
I don't have children in school anymore, but I am very disappointed in our system if this is true. Saying it is unofficial policy in "most" schools differs from my memories of how my children were taught to turn in work completed and on time or suffer consequences.

Maybe this is one of the reasons the "varying socioeconomic districts" perform so poorly, if they are not held to any standard. I am not an educator and for good reason as I would probably resign in protest. isn't so much the educators as parents just not giving a deuce. at worst a combination. My mother is an educator, for over 30 years now. If there is one thing she's noticed in her opinion, it is the lack of participation of parents in childrens lives.

ronwx5x
08-19-2008, 09:42 AM
isn't so much the educators as parents just not giving a deuce. at worst a combination. My mother is an educator, for over 30 years now. If there is one thing she's noticed in her opinion, it is the lack of participation of parents in childrens lives.

While my parents were not disruptive to my education, they didn't take a particularly active part. Neither even graduated high school (my Dad had an 8th grade education). I knew to follow instructions and turn in my work on time. What is hard about that?

It is a shame that parents don't take the opportunity to help, but that is an oversimplification of the problem. Just my opinion.

DDBooger
08-19-2008, 09:58 AM
While my parents were not disruptive to my education, they didn't take a particularly active part. Neither even graduated high school (my Dad had an 8th grade education). I knew to follow instructions and turn in my work on time. What is hard about that?

It is a shame that parents don't take the opportunity to help, but that is an oversimplification of the problem. Just my opinion. understood, but can't shine light on everything with an anecdotal reference. I didn't need my parents attention at all and turned out well, my brother however required a lot of attention, and my parents gave it, he's a successful coach and teacher now.

kaorder1999
08-19-2008, 11:19 AM
Take the part about a 50 being the lowest grade you can give for a 6 weeks grade... I have worked in three different school districts and all three have had the same policy. The lowest grade that we could give was a 50 for the final six weeks grade. If the grade for the final grade for the 6 weeks eas a 30, a 50 appeared on their report card. But all of a sudden, DISD announces this is part of their new policy and people think its outrageous...

Pick6
08-19-2008, 11:22 AM
DISD announces this is part of their new policy and people think its outrageous...

Not just DISD, if any school announced this people would think it's outrageous. DISD is just the 1st school to announce, therefore they will get the brunt of the storm.

ronwx5x
08-19-2008, 11:24 AM
Take the part about a 50 being the lowest grade you can give for a 6 weeks grade... I have worked in three different school districts and all three have had the same policy. The lowest grade that we could give was a 50 for the final six weeks grade. If the grade for the final grade for the 6 weeks eas a 30, a 50 appeared on their report card. But all of a sudden, DISD announces this is part of their new policy and people think its outrageous...

So are you saying it was not outrageous when it was done without being written down as policy? I have a problem with that one, but unless I get on the school board my opinion is probably worth nothing.

ronwx5x
08-19-2008, 11:27 AM
understood, but can't shine light on everything with an anecdotal reference. I didn't need my parents attention at all and turned out well, my brother however required a lot of attention, and my parents gave it, he's a successful coach and teacher now.

It's good that your parents helped your brother and good that they didn't need to help you. My point was never meant to be that parents shouln't help, just that abrogating personal responsibility is not the answer. Yes, tell the parents, but hold the students responsible for their actions (or inactions). I assure you life doesn't have a minimum grade of 50.

mwynn05
08-19-2008, 11:38 AM
As a future educator i agree with the not giving a grade lower than a 50 on a report card...We always had that rule when i was in school. You talk about in the real world well guess what they aren't in the real world their kids and their going to mess up and if you give them a 23 on their report card they have ZERO chance to pass so therefore they really aren't going to try then. A 50 can be brought up but anything much less and they kid cannot bring that up because for one if a kid is making a grade that low in first place they arent going to be able to make the high A's that are needed to bring it up. I just think your logic is way out of whack. As an educator you want to see kids succeed and while i think some parts of this policy are a little ridiculous you have to know this story has a slant WFAA (a belo company as is the DMN) has been trying to nail DISD for a while so try to hear both sides.

Pick6
08-19-2008, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by mwynn05
As a future educator i agree with the not giving a grade lower than a 50 on a report card...We always had that rule when i was in school. You talk about in the real world well guess what they aren't in the real world their kids and their going to mess up and if you give them a 23 on their report card they have ZERO chance to pass so therefore they really aren't going to try then. A 50 can be brought up but anything much less and they kid cannot bring that up because for one if a kid is making a grade that low in first place they arent going to be able to make the high A's that are needed to bring it up. I just think your logic is way out of whack. As an educator you want to see kids succeed and while i think some parts of this policy are a little ridiculous you have to know this story has a slant WFAA (a belo company as is the DMN) has been trying to nail DISD for a while so try to hear both sides.

Some people get upset because in pee-wee sports scores aren't kept so no one leaves as a losing team. This is the same thing, protecting kids from the grades that they made. Let's just give them a 50 so they don't feel bad that they made a 30. Quit babysitting the kids and give them the grade that they earn.

Ranger Mom
08-19-2008, 11:58 AM
When I was in school, we got whatever we got....no matter if was a 100 or 02! If you wanted a passing grade bad enough, you could do PLENTY of extra credit work to bring it up......or, you might just have to repeat that grade again the next year.

I can guarantee you, we had a LOT less dropouts than we do now....even with a passing grade basically handed to them on silver platter!!! (as it is these days!!)

mwynn05
08-19-2008, 12:02 PM
A lot of this depends on individual situations as well

LH Panther Mom
08-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
When I was in school, we got whatever we got....no matter if was a 100 or 02! If you wanted a passing grade bad enough, you could do PLENTY of extra credit work to bring it up......or, you might just have to repeat that grade again the next year.

I can guarantee you, we had a LOT less dropouts than we do now....even with a passing grade basically handed to them on silver platter!!! (as it is these days!!)
Same here, RM. :2thumbsup

kaorder1999
08-19-2008, 01:27 PM
So are you saying it was not outrageous when it was done without being written down as policy? I have a problem with that one, but unless I get on the school board my opinion is probably worth nothing.

I have never had a problem with a kid getting a 50 as the lowest grade they can receive on their report card.

As far as disd goes, unless you step foot in the classrooms, it's tough to fully understand the hardships these kids endure. I would luv to teach how my teachers did way back when today but it doesn't work that way...

JR2004
08-20-2008, 01:43 PM
As far as disd goes, unless you step foot in the classrooms, it's tough to fully understand the hardships these kids endure.

Most folks don't understand and won't make an effort to understand the hardships kids in DISD deal with as well as the teachers trying to educate them. There's really no sense in trying to explain it because they'd have to see it for themselves to understand what you mean. They could've based the movie "Lean on Me" on Madison (and several other DISD schools) because the things from that movie are things that happened there in the not too distant past. I still remember them having the back entrance by the coaches office locked with a chain to keep certain people out of the building. That wasn't more than 3 years or so ago.

I have nothing but respect for you and anyone else who is teaching in DISD. You could've taken the easy route and gone to a suburban school or stayed in a smaller town, but you didn't and I think what you're doing is pretty good in my book.

Emerson1
08-20-2008, 06:47 PM

Forney does that to except any grade can be given the 3rd and 6th six weeks.

Necks_Fan
08-20-2008, 10:56 PM
Forney :) Haha! Good one... Lol.

Emerson1
08-20-2008, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Haha! Good one... Lol.
No. If you go to Forney you suck at math.