PDA

View Full Version : Home Owners Association - Good or bad

Pick6
08-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Frisco man says HOA won't let him park pickup on driveway

01:32 PM CDT on Monday, August 18, 2008
By STEVE STOLER / WFAA-TV (Channel 8)
sstoler@wfaa.com

If there's one thing Texans are serious about, it's pickups.

But a Frisco man says his truck is being targeted simply because his homeowners association doesn't think it's classy enough.

Jim Greenwood said he never dreamed his HOA would have a problem with his new Ford F-150 pickup. Then he received the first of three notices threatening him with fines.

"Mr. Greenwood, you're violating a subdivision rule that prohibits pickup trucks in your driveway," the notice reads.

Stonebriar HOA rules allow several luxury trucks on driveways, including the Cadillac Escalade, Chevy Avalanche, Honda Ridgeline and Lincoln Mark LT.

But most Ford, Dodge or Chevy pickups are restricted.

"It's very frustrating and confusing. It's hard to imagine how an HOA would try to dictate what type of vehicle you can drive and park in your driveway," Mr. Greenwood said.

Bill Osborn of the HOA board said the association also prohibits boats, trailers, golf carts and RVs in driveways.

"The high-end vehicles that are allowed are plush with amenities and covers on the back. It doesn't look like a pickup," he said. "It's fancier."

Mr. Greenwood appealed, claiming his Ford F-150 isn't much different from the Lincoln Mark LT.

"The response was: 'It's our belief that Lincoln markets to a different class of people,' " he said.

"Furthermore, one board member told my wife that if we don't like it, we can move."

HOA officials said that many Stonebriar homeowners own pickups but that they abide by the rules and keep them parked in their garages.

"A Chevy Suburban can be in the driveway," Mr. Greenwood said. "If we had a big Hummer, that could be in the driveway. If we had a Lincoln Mark LT, that could be in the driveway. But a Ford F-150 can't.

"That doesn't make sense."

McKinney Ford dealer Bob Tomes agreed. In Texas, he said, truck owners should have the right to park their pickups on their driveways – even in a gated community.

ronwx5x
08-18-2008, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
Frisco man says HOA won't let him park pickup on driveway

01:32 PM CDT on Monday, August 18, 2008
By STEVE STOLER / WFAA-TV (Channel 8)
sstoler@wfaa.com

If there's one thing Texans are serious about, it's pickups.

But a Frisco man says his truck is being targeted simply because his homeowners association doesn't think it's classy enough.

Jim Greenwood said he never dreamed his HOA would have a problem with his new Ford F-150 pickup. Then he received the first of three notices threatening him with fines.

"Mr. Greenwood, you're violating a subdivision rule that prohibits pickup trucks in your driveway," the notice reads.

Stonebriar HOA rules allow several luxury trucks on driveways,
including the Cadillac Escalade, Chevy Avalanche, Honda Ridgeline and Lincoln Mark LT.

But most Ford, Dodge or Chevy pickups are restricted.

"It's very frustrating and confusing. It's hard to imagine how an HOA would try to dictate what type of vehicle you can drive and park in your driveway," Mr. Greenwood said.

Bill Osborn of the HOA board said the association also prohibits boats, trailers, golf carts and RVs in driveways.

"The high-end vehicles that are allowed are plush with amenities and covers on the back. It doesn't look like a pickup," he said. "It's fancier."

Mr. Greenwood appealed, claiming his Ford F-150 isn't much different from the Lincoln Mark LT.

"The response was: 'It's our belief that Lincoln markets to a different class of people,' " he said.

"Furthermore, one board member told my wife that if we don't like it, we can move."

HOA officials said that many Stonebriar homeowners own pickups but that they abide by the rules and keep them parked in their garages.

"A Chevy Suburban can be in the driveway," Mr. Greenwood said. "If we had a big Hummer, that could be in the driveway. If we had a Lincoln Mark LT, that could be in the driveway. But a Ford F-150 can't.

"That doesn't make sense."

McKinney Ford dealer Bob Tomes agreed. In Texas, he said, truck owners should have the right to park their pickups on their driveways – even in a gated community.

Why would someone even want to live where these type of people try to control the type of vehicle you drive? I say sue them, make them buy your home, and move where sensible people live! Must be mostly retired people who have so little to do they think up new rules to harass others. Sounds like south Florida.

BEAST
08-18-2008, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Why would someone even want to live where these type of people try to control the type of vehicle you drive? I say sue them, make them buy your home, and move where sensible people live! Must be mostly retired people who have so little to do they think up new rules to harass others. Sounds like south Florida.

While I agree with you on sueing the people, the F150 owner would lose in court. When you move into one of these gated "sects" you sign a form saying that you agree with and will abide by the rules of the compound. My inlaws got burnt just like this poor chap.

BEAST

CHS_89
08-18-2008, 03:41 PM
What the heck is wrong with this picture? I understand RV's, boats, etc, but a pickup?

cameron91
08-18-2008, 03:44 PM
i read in the austin newspaper not too long ago , about a man in Hutto owes his HOA like 2 or 3 thousand dollars. he wasn't able to pay his monthly fees.. now they're takin him to court.

crzyjournalist03
08-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by cameron91
i read in the austin newspaper not too long ago , about a man in Hutto owes his HOA like 2 or 3 thousand dollars. he wasn't able to pay his monthly fees.. now they're takin him to court.

that's ridiculous...they're supposed to file for eviction after two failed payments. That's going to be the most they'll get out of him.

Txbroadcaster
08-18-2008, 03:51 PM
Does not matter if you like HOA or not, when you buy a house ina neighborhood that has one your accepting their terms

CHS_89
08-18-2008, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Does not matter if you like HOA or not, when you buy a house ina neighborhood that has one your accepting their terms

True

ronwx5x
08-18-2008, 03:55 PM

Rules are made by people so people can change the rules. Prove that there is no valid justification and it becomes unenforceable.

Txbroadcaster
08-18-2008, 03:58 PM
Rules are made by people so people can change the rules. Prove that there is no valid justification and it becomes unenforceable.

and in most HOA they use a voting system, so obivously this HOA has not seen a need to change them

I am not a fan of HOA, but see some positives from them, and dont understand people who buy a home in a HOA place knowing there are rules, then try to fight them...READ their terms BEFORE you buy if you dont like then YOU have to decide if you want to live there

If rules are changed while you live there GO TO THE MEETINGS and voice your displeasure..Dont sit at home and not attend the meetings, then gripe because u dont like the rules that are new

pirate4state
08-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Stepford communities....who needs 'em? BAH!

Macarthur
08-18-2008, 04:04 PM

They certainly can change the rules, but I wouldn't use the term "unenforceable". The courts over and over again has supported the HOA in court cases. I don't like it, but if you move into one of these, you have to abide by the HOA. That's just the way it is.

Chief Woodman
08-18-2008, 04:06 PM
Just read my sig. That cures the problem.

ronwx5x
08-18-2008, 04:08 PM
and in most HOA they use a voting system, so obivously this HOA has not seen a need to change them

I am not a fan of HOA, but see some positives from them, and dont understand people who buy a home in a HOA place knowing there are rules, then try to fight them...READ their terms BEFORE you buy if you dont like then YOU have to decide if you want to live there

If rules are changed while you live there GO TO THE MEETINGS and voice your displeasure..Dont sit at home and not attend the meetings, then gripe because u dont like the rules that are new

If you have ever bought a previously owned home in a neighborhood with deed restrictions, you probably know that you are not generally given a copy of the HOA deed restrictions. I did this back in the 80's and waited two weeks before I finally got a copy of the HOA rules. Later, there was an attempted rule change with no grandfather clause for existing structures. I went to the meeting, protested, explained that I had a copy of the budget and knew they had no funds for a lawsuit and suddenly there was a grandfather clause. So yes, things can be "fixed".

I currently live in a community with very strict restrictions (see my location under my avatar). You learn to try to comply.

Txbroadcaster
08-18-2008, 04:12 PM
If you have ever bought a previously owned home in a neighborhood with deed restrictions, you probably know that you are not generally given a copy of the HOA deed restrictions. I did this back in the 80's and waited two weeks before I finally got a copy of the HOA rules. Later, there was an attempted rule change with no grandfather clause for existing structures. I went to the meeting, protested, explained that I had a copy of the budget and knew they had no funds for a lawsuit and suddenly there was a grandfather clause. So yes, things can be "fixed".

I currently live in a community with very strict restrictions (see my location under my avatar). You learn to try to comply.

I was not directing the what someone should do to you personally I was meaning it in general terms

but you proved what I was saying, if you have a problem with HOA deal with it inside the HOA channels FIRST, dont just sit around griping and not trying to change things first

Trashman
08-20-2008, 05:19 AM
I hear that a HOA can be very good if you live on top of the Barnett Shale.:D

BuffyMars
08-20-2008, 01:29 PM
dang nazism! i swear we got a letter once for leaving the lawnmower in the yard while terry ran and got gas for it. :mad:

Trashman
08-20-2008, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
dang nazism! i swear we got a letter once for leaving the lawnmower in the yard while terry ran and got gas for it. :mad:

Now that is funny! The letter was probably post marked 3 days before the mower actually ran out of gas, right?:D :D :D :D

Ranger Mom
08-20-2008, 02:15 PM
I have neighbors, but they are about an acre or so on either side of me. THANK GOD!!!!

I couldn't have lived where there is an HOA, with 5 kids, all of whom drive trucks...and I drive a truck and my husband drives a truck....and not a one is what they listed as "acceptable."

Buncha freakin snobs!!!:mad: