PDA

View Full Version : Recent article on Texas A&M Coach Mike Sherman

Phil C
08-18-2008, 02:26 PM
It was in the Sept. 2008 issue of Inside Texas magazine which is a Texas Longhorn fan magazine of all things writing about the Aggie Head Coach. It must be pointed out that it is not affillicated or endorsed by the University of Texas or any of it's staff. It is a good magazine but it does get off base in my opionion (and bear in mind I am a UT fan) and one point I disagree with is as follows:

That being said the article is on page 49 and quote from two of its' experts.

Mr. Pearle "They seem to be recruiting south Texas a lot."

Mr. Ross "That ought to tell you something's wrong right there."

I take exception and a certain amount of offense in that. Dat Nguyen of Rockport played good football for them and played in the pros for several years. And Buster Adamie of Freer was a good linebacker for them in the late 60s while his younger brother Trey was a starting QB for Texas Tech in the mid 70s.
And Mr. Ross must be overlooking some other South Texas players who did well at UT. Freddie Edwards of Donna was a good DL for UT in the 60s. Also three Freer players Steve McMichael and Bill Aker were good DLs for them in the 70s and later Bill's brother Jim was a good pitcher for UT. And don't forget Hebbronville's Rene Ramirez was a good player for Coach Royal in the 50s. My late brother in law Jim Allen of Freer showed great promise to be a good player at UT but unfortunately career ending injuries stopped that. And don't forget the great defensive and offensive halfback from Mission that had some success there and later in the pros - a player by the name of Tom Landry from Mission.
These are just a few that come to mind right now but I am sure there are others. Who knows - the Aggies may find a gold mind in south Texas. I am a UT fan but I would be delighted if they did.

Inside Texas is a good magazine but they need to stay with UT football and not worry about writing about the competition too much.

jimmyceatworld
08-18-2008, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Phil C

That being said the article is on page 49 and quote from two of its' experts.

Mr. Pearle "They seem to be recruiting south Texas a lot."

Mr. Ross "That ought to tell you something's wrong right there."

Well, most of the people you mentioned did play over 30 years ago ;)

BobcatBenny
08-18-2008, 04:14 PM
IMO Texas A&M football has sort of turned into SETI (Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence). A whole lot of money is spent without much hope of actually coming up with anything interesting. At least in my lifetime.

So I can hardly blame Texas fans for finding Texas A&M football a strange yet fascinating phenomenon. :p

Maybe instead of SETI I could use bigfoot? :thinking:

Phil C
08-18-2008, 04:16 PM
BEWARE OF THE HOWING BEAR!

popcorn screen
08-18-2008, 09:04 PM
Phil C: Go Bucks Go!!

espn1
08-18-2008, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
IMO Texas A&M football has sort of turned into SETI (Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence). A whole lot of money is spent without much hope of actually coming up with anything interesting. At least in my lifetime.

So I can hardly blame Texas fans for finding Texas A&M football a strange yet fascinating phenomenon. :p

Maybe instead of SETI I could use bigfoot? :thinking: A&M Football Grosses over $55mil. a year!

Bull Butter
08-18-2008, 10:25 PM
If I recall, it was a reciever from South Texas named Earvin Taylor that caught a long TD pass that clinched the A&M victory over UT this past season, so maybe the gentlemen shouldn't be talking.