PDA

View Full Version : La Grange @ Cuero

Pudlugger
08-17-2008, 03:15 PM
The Leps are on the road next Thursday evening 7pm scrimmaging the Gobblers in their home stadium. With the highly ranked Gobblers reloaded for 2008 it should be a good test of the young Leps. The Leps displayed a very promising passing offense for such a young team. After they review the LH scrimmage film this week I am confident the Leps will be working hard to improve their pass defense and punting. Cuero will be another fast and physical team which should help toughen up the Lep cubs for the approaching pre district games. By week 6, when district opens at home against Bellville they should be pretty salty and confident.

LHexPlayer
08-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Cuero will get lots of practice on covering the screen pass.

Pudlugger
08-17-2008, 03:27 PM
Who did Cuero scrimmage this weekend?

TRENCHES06
08-17-2008, 03:54 PM
Lockhart

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-17-2008, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Cuero will be another fast and physical team which should help toughen up the Lep cubs for the approaching pre district games. By week 6, when district opens at home against Bellville they should be pretty salty and confident.

Bellville will be looking forward to coming back to La Grange.

Pudlugger
08-17-2008, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by TRENCHES06
Lockhart

Anyone care to report on this? Lockhart plays La Grange in week 0 in La Grange. How did the scrimmage go and is Lockhart good?

Pudlugger
08-17-2008, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
Bellville will be looking forward to coming back to La Grange.

It will be a big game for both teams.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-17-2008, 04:35 PM
It will be a big game for both teams.

Maybe we can get ZZ Top to play @ Halftime.

Pudlugger
08-17-2008, 04:46 PM
That would be cool! We all know what they would play. Maybe the Lep Band can work on that one! LOL:D

CueroDad08
08-17-2008, 06:50 PM
Anyone care to report on this? Lockhart plays La Grange in week 0 in La Grange. How did the scrimmage go and is Lockhart good?

Lockhart has 9 back on D the are very big upfront and speedy DB's. There D will be what keeps them in alot of games. There O is a Wing T formation, Very week pashing game, will try and control ball and clock. They do have a speedy fast back, The other two are very average.

LHexPlayer
08-17-2008, 07:03 PM
How did Cuero do against Lockhart?

LHexPlayer
double post sorry

Pudlugger
Originally posted by CueroDad08
Lockhart has 9 back on D the are very big upfront and speedy DB's. There D will be what keeps them in alot of games. There O is a Wing T formation, Very week pashing game, will try and control ball and clock. They do have a speedy fast back, The other two are very average.

Thanks CueroDad08. It looks like the Leps will get a decent match up on week 0. Getting some experience against the wing t with LH should boost the Lep's confidence. I look forward to our scrimmage Thursday. Cuero always sets the standard for excellence in 3A football.
Cheers

footballguru
08-17-2008, 07:57 PM
How did Cuero do against Lockhart

footballguru
08-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Talking to some La Grange people, I heard they were without their lone returning offensive starter against Liberty Hill. Said he is very fast and was having a good showing in practice before he hurt his knee, I think they said he was also the starting free safety. Anyone anyword on the status of this kid?

LHS 2SONS
08-17-2008, 08:54 PM
Last week in practice the safety and wr had a collision, and the safety chipped a bone in his lower sternum area, have not heard how long he will be out. The wr did suffer a knee injury and will be reevaluated on Monday. They both were having a great camp. The wr is a very good athlete and it will definitely hurt LG if he will be out. LG also had another player (senior - non starter) tear his acl last week in practice.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL

Pudlugger
08-18-2008, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by LHS 2SONS
Last week in practice the safety and wr had a collision, and the safety chipped a bone in his lower sternum area, have not heard how long he will be out. The wr did suffer a knee injury and will be reevaluated on Monday. They both were having a great camp. The wr is a very good athlete and it will definitely hurt LG if he will be out. LG also had another player (senior - non starter) tear his acl last week in practice.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL

Yes, I noticed McHazelet the junior WR on crutches on the sideline Saturday. He is a very talented player and has great hands and speed. He was a starter last season at wr. Here's hoping his injury is not serious and he is able to return before district.

Pudlugger
08-19-2008, 07:08 AM
I wonder where the Cuero folks are? It has been real quit on the board from Gobbler land. Nothing much regarding the Lockhart scrimmage or the 2008 Gobbler team. The Leps will be in Cuero in two days and it would be great to get a little preview beforehand.

44INAROW
08-19-2008, 08:26 AM
The Gobbler fans are here - just sitting back and digesting all the talk.

In re: the scrimmage - the 44inarow family was there but we left early due to the rain, sorry,

Pudlugger - I'll keep you posted on the location of the scrimmage - a little birdy told me last night that if we got any more rain, the location could change - that is NOT definite, just a MAYBE..

44INAROW
08-19-2008, 08:53 PM
Ok - just got the phone call - the scrimmage between Cuero and La Grange will be played in Victoria - no mention of date and time change, so I assume beginning @ 5 on Thursday in Victoria with the Freshman........

TRENCHES06
08-19-2008, 08:55 PM
What's the stadium like?

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-19-2008, 09:00 PM
What's the stadium like?

Old but keep up well, I think they put in new Field Turf a few years back. A soft drink company gave money for improvments also years back.

44INAROW
08-19-2008, 09:01 PM
What's the stadium like? Victoria Memorial (http://www.texasbob.com/stadium/stadium.php?id=405)

artifical turf (I thought it was replaced this year but I could be wrong - maybe they just voted to replace it but haven't done it yet?) I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong
14000 capacity
concrete with metal seats

yep, new turf

Memorial Stadium to get new playing surface

By MIKE FORMAN - Advocate Sports Writer
June 02, 2008 - 11:21 p.m.
The Memorial football team will be playing on new turf in the upcoming season.

new turf ( http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/847/story/256002.html)

Pudlugger
08-19-2008, 10:13 PM
La Grange played Yoakum there in 2000. It is a nice big stadium. Thanks 44.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-20-2008, 09:47 AM
La Grange played Yoakum there in 2000. It is a nice big stadium. Thanks 44.

Its the best one in Victoria.

Pudlugger
08-20-2008, 01:26 PM
Who is this freshman kid from Cuero with the speed?

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Who is this freshman kid from Cuero with the speed?

He is the one that runs faster than the rest.:D

Old Green
08-20-2008, 01:55 PM
Who is this freshman kid from Cuero with the speed? Trent Jackson;)

crabman
08-20-2008, 09:55 PM
Varsity has been moved from 7 until 8. Still in Victoria.

Pudlugger
08-21-2008, 09:05 AM
Will this scrimmage follow the same format as the LH one? That is controlled scrimmage with first o against first d followed by second and so on, with a game situation for 12 minutes at the end?
If so I hope they have some kick-offs to get a look at special team play. Poor special team play costs you the game so it should get some attention in the scrimmages. We did get a couple of punts off in last week's scrimmage but it appears that more work needs to be done.

44INAROW
08-21-2008, 10:17 PM
hhmmm let's see if I can get this right - in the scrimmage part - I am pretty sure it was Cuero 4 La Grange 0 and in the "controlled scrimmage" (is that what you call when it looks like a real game>?) anyway - it was Cuero 1 LG 0 - LG darn near scored but Cuero held them at the goal line....... watched the Freshman and JV but didn't keep track - looked like Cuero Freshman scored a couple of times........ they were each playing at the same time...... I waved over at the LG side at Pudlugger - did you see me :D :D :D

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-21-2008, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
hhmmm let's see if I can get this right - in the scrimmage part - I am pretty sure it was Cuero 4 La Grange 0 and in the "controlled scrimmage" (is that what you call when it looks like a real game>?) anyway - it was Cuero 1 LG 0 - LG darn near scored but Cuero held them at the goal line....... watched the Freshman and JV but didn't keep track - looked like Cuero Freshman scored a couple of times........ they were each playing at the same time...... I waved over at the LG side at Pudlugger - did you see me :D :D :D

Hey 44, how would you say the Leps looked?

44INAROW
08-21-2008, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
Hey 44, how would you say the Leps looked?
I really am not a good person to ask (not being a smartA$$) just don't know the particulars but I can tell you this - in the 1st sets of LG offense - their only positive yards came from a passing interference call against us...... then they made a few yards. But really, it's hard to tell anything - we didn't have numbers on so I wasn't sure if it was 1st team Offense against LG or 2nd team...... they did use 2 different QB's and the 1st one was a lefty..... I did notice that ;) CHSVarsity Dad and Cuerodad08 probably will have alot more to say than me...... they were actually watching instead of visiting :eek: :eek: :D :D

I am curious to see if the LG folks have anything to say about the crowd the Gobblers had. From where we sat, seemed like alot of folks were there.

Boomer
08-21-2008, 10:42 PM
La Grange has a good little offense. Tough quarterback from La Grange, he will run you over. He can throw the ball. Their o-line gave up like 4 or 5 sacks. They need a lot of help on defense.

Pudlugger
08-21-2008, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW

Sorry 44 I couldn't make the scrimmage. Family business. It sounds like the Gobblers are for real this year. I would like to hear more from other Cuero fans and any Leps that were there. So far the Leps haven't made a td in the game situation in the two scrimmages. I hope they find the end zone next week against Lockhart.

CueroDad08
08-21-2008, 11:13 PM
La Grange has a good idea on offence, just lack the wepons.
Cuero could pass the ball at will. Looked at all 4 RB's. The Fresh. Looked very good tonight. Talked to Chris Sosa (Beeville) coach. Asked him if he had his boys ready. The first thing he said was wow yall are pretty salty. He just hoped he could make it a good game and keep it close. I am sure he will have his state ranked 4A team ready next friday. I told him his team looked really good last year. And he said that was last years team, and his team is a little slower getting started so far. We will see. I think it will be a shootout myself.

TRENCHES06
08-22-2008, 01:15 AM
In the "game" part of the scrimmage, the righty quarterback did cross the goal line. Damn blind refs. ha ha.

Gobbler Fan
08-22-2008, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by CueroDad08
La Grange has a good idea on offence, just lack the wepons.
Cuero could pass the ball at will. Looked at all 4 RB's. The Fresh. Looked very good tonight. Talked to Chris Sosa (Beeville) coach. Asked him if he had his boys ready. The first thing he said was wow yall are pretty salty. He just hoped he could make it a good game and keep it close. I am sure he will have his state ranked 4A team ready next friday. I told him his team looked really good last year. And he said that was last years team, and his team is a little slower getting started so far. We will see. I think it will be a shootout myself.

Beeville is the favorite in this game ... Soza can downplay his team all he wants but Beeville is the real deal this year . Can Cuero beat Beeville ? Sure we can but we have to be ready to play 4 quarters of sound football . My prediction is Cuero by a TD :D

Gators17
08-22-2008, 11:48 AM
Did Cuero's stud QB play much in the scrimmage, or are they being careful with him during these scrimmages?

Old Green
08-22-2008, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Gators17
Did Cuero's stud QB play much in the scrimmage, or are they being careful with him during these scrimmages? He played some, but his backup took a lot of snaps last night