PDA

View Full Version : Daingerfield-Vernon Scrimmage

Matthew328
08-16-2008, 11:02 PM
I went to watch this one tonight.....Daingerfield is looking like they used to look....they arent there yet but things are looking up....very speedy, running the spread with some success...still gotta find a ground game....

Vernon struggled some, I like the FB and they were good up front but they have a lot of holes to fill at the skill spots...they'll probably take a step back this year...which means they may only go 2 deep...LOL

lion75
08-16-2008, 11:32 PM
I was at this as well. I was told that Vernon and Balinger used to start this scrimmage with an agreement of no blitzing so as to work on basics at the first scrimmage. Daingerfield said no thanks. They were blitzing like the Philadelphia Eagles.During the first string set DF and Vernon both scored once. During second string DF had one and Vernon none. Third set was 0-0. Vernon is young, but has some talent. Should be an early struggle with the potential to surprise at some point.

Matthew328
08-17-2008, 12:03 AM
yes Daingerfield brought the heat but thats what they do during the season so I don't blame them for saying no thanks...LOL

LeonJr
08-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Leon picks Vernon to finish 3rd in their district!

Johnny Utah
08-17-2008, 12:26 PM
Watched Vernon's offseason some years back, very impressed with their athleticism. Seems like a great town.

Sweetwater Red
08-17-2008, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328

Vernon struggled some, I like the FB and they were good up front but they have a lot of holes to fill at the skill spots...they'll probably take a step back this year...which means they may only go 2 deep...LOL

Great to hear!:D

We scrimmage Vernon next Friday hopefully we won't lose our
starting QB for a month like last year.:(

Vernon has beaten Sweetwater three straight times in the
playoffs over the last 5(?) years. Hopefully we can return the
favor this year if both of us make it that far.:thinking:

VERNONLION#1
08-17-2008, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

The scrimmage will be on Thursday at 7pm for the varsity Red.

Sweetwater Red
08-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by VERNONLION#1

The schedule I have shows Friday August 22. But, that doesn't
mean anything. Scrimmage times and dates are always
subject to change. Thursday is even better for us. That will give
us seven days instead of six before we open the season
against Burkburnett.

footballmom
08-18-2008, 08:34 PM
We are a little young this year we lost a lot of our boys do to graduation. The FB is my son Kyle Echols he played TE last year. he hasnt played this position in almost 3 years but he is having fun at it.

Matthew328
08-18-2008, 08:42 PM
your son looked good Saturday....good hands and he runs tough....I liked the little tailback #28 who backed up Whiteside...he's got big play ability

VWG
08-18-2008, 10:08 PM
Who takes over at QB now that Miller is gone.
Huge shoes to fill right there.

Ranger Mom
08-18-2008, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by footballmom
We are a little young this year we lost a lot of our boys do to graduation. The FB is my son Kyle Echols he played TE last year. he hasnt played this position in almost 3 years but he is having fun at it.

YAY!! Another mom!! (I'm sure you guys are thrilled..lol)

Good luck to your son!!!

lion75
08-18-2008, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by VWG
Who takes over at QB now that Miller is gone.
Huge shoes to fill right there. Miller was two years ago. Last years QB was Darien Williams who went to North Texas. This year it is Ryan Smith,who is talented, but unproven.

lion75
08-18-2008, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by footballmom
We are a little young this year we lost a lot of our boys do to graduation. The FB is my son Kyle Echols he played TE last year. he hasnt played this position in almost 3 years but he is having fun at it. Your son is a beast. (I mean that in a good way) He was tough on Graham last year.

Stangs325
08-19-2008, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by VERNONLION#1

Thursday 6:15 at the bowl

VWG
08-19-2008, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by lion75
Miller was two years ago. Last years QB was Darien Williams who went to North Texas. This year it is Ryan Smith,who is talented, but unproven.

My mistake. I was thinking the kid that was QB two years ago was William Miller, right? And that was when Williams was just playing safety his jr. year.

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-19-2008, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by VWG
My mistake. I was thinking the kid that was QB two years ago was William Miller, right? And that was when Williams was just playing safety his jr. year.

Thats right.

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-19-2008, 08:28 AM
Just checked in on Williams on the UNT website which gives camp updates each day. From the first day I found this entry:

--
Darien Playing Nice

8:09 p.m.

Freshman defensive back Darien Williams is quickly learning the do’s and don’ts of training camp. Earlier in practice he cut into the passing lane and picked off a pass from Riley Dodge, which in a game he probably would have taken to the house. Moments later he had the chance to obliterate Willie Taylor on a post pattern but wisely backed off.
--

Looks like he is seeing good action in camp and may get some PT this year. Go Darien.

footballmom
08-19-2008, 08:57 AM
Well thank you for the compliments he really enjoys herring them. Ryan Smith has been a QB since he has been playing football he was a little intimidated last year when he got to play for varsity. I think he will prove him self this year. He is really quick and he is comfortable with Kyle,Craig and the other boys these are who he grew up playing with.

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-19-2008, 09:05 AM
More Williams talk from the UNT Website:

Throw It To The Other Team

7:34 p.m.

The defensive backs started with catch and tip drills early in practice. Coach Chuck Petersen provided some important instruction to his players-“Really good players can drill and transfer what they’ve learned to the field. Don’t be lazy. Bend your knees and get your hands underneath the ball. Anticipate the pass and stick to your man.” DBs Robbie Gordon, Darien Williams, Justin Edwards, Jeremy Phillips, and John Shorter were all showing the ability to make big plays.

--
Post Practice Quotes
9:45 p.m.

Freshman Darien Williams

What he feels like he has improved on the most

“I feel like I’ve improved the most on my pass coverage, coming into camp I was more of a run stopper but I’ve worked on my back-peddling and helped with the corners on coverage.”

On the interception

"We were in cover-two and I read the quarterback's eyes and could see it was going to be a deep pass so I broke on the ball."

Play of the Day
9:36 p.m.

Freshman Darien Williams ended a drive with on heck of a pick. Meager was looking towards the end zone and hung one up jus long enough for Williams to sky through the air and snatch it. Williams went right in front of the two defenders and receiver to make the play. Drills done, back with quotes.

--

More from the post-office
6:02 p.m.
We dip into the mailbag briefly before heading out to round two of practice today. Updates begin around 7 so stay tuned.

Harry from Arlington
Q: Which one of the freshman besides the most talked about ones, Dunbar, Williams, etc are standing out?
A: There are quite a few names but it’s going to be hard to single out any of this freshman class without overlooking someone. The bottom line is this 2008 recruiting class is going to consist of names you will hear for the next four or five years.

--

(Two) Deep thoughts
2:42 p.m.
Nothing official here but we have been keeping track of who has been working with the 1’s, 2’s and so on. When it comes to the defense a lot of freshman have a chance to crack the two-deep and stay there. DaWaylon Cook has been working a lot with one side of the secondary and fellow freshman Royce Hill has been on the other side. Antoine Bush is going to start, I’m confident enough about that because he’s the only guy Coach DeLoach hasn’t yelled at, I think. A new name that has also emerged is Justin Flowers. Were betting he’s going to have a new number before August 30.

Safeties appear to have a lot of depth. Lucky 13 Kartey Agbottah is a safe pick to seem a ton of time (code for starter) and newcomer Kylie Hill, along with freshman Darien Williams are seeing a lot of work.
--

Stangs325
08-20-2008, 09:11 AM

wel great job on jinxin that one. I went out today to catch the end of the mustangs practice and the senior starter at qb went down with either a lower back problem or a groin problem, i couldnt tell. hopefully its not serious and he'l be back out practicin today

Sweetwater Red
08-20-2008, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Stangs325
wel great job on jinxin that one. I went out today to catch the end of the mustangs practice and the senior starter at qb went down with either a lower back problem or a groin problem, i couldnt tell. hopefully its not serious and he'l be back out practicin today

According to Coach Jackson in the Sweetwater Reporter, there
are four guys vying for the starting job. Apparently the
starting spot is wide open. I'm more worried about Adamez and
his broken rib.:thinking:

DaHop72
08-20-2008, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by lion75
Your son is a beast. (I mean that in a good way) He was tough on Graham last year. Was he #46 I think, the bulldozer that kept running over and through people?

Stangs325
08-20-2008, 12:26 PM
According to Coach Jackson in the Sweetwater Reporter, there
are four guys vying for the starting job. Apparently the
starting spot is wide open. I'm more worried about Adamez and
his broken rib.:thinking:

yeah he also said that about every position. his articles this year have cracked me up. he's over doing the "lets be fair" thing. But yeah they do need adamez back. hes a key part to both sides. But i did i hear at the middland scrimmage that he might be cleared for week 1 against burk

Sweetwater Red
08-20-2008, 12:38 PM
i did i hear at the middland scrimmage that he might be cleared for week 1 against burk

Man I hope so. Anything new on Birdwell?

DaHop72
08-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Man I hope so. Anything new on Birdwell? I bet you can find out on the Mustang "home" message board.:devil: :devil:

Sweetwater Red
08-20-2008, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
I bet you can find out on the Mustang "home" message board.:devil: :devil:

Did you start one up Mr. Sweetwater Alumni?:devil:

DaHop72
08-20-2008, 12:45 PM
Did you start one up Mr. Sweetwater Alumni?:devil: No, but you best buddy has one.:devil: :devil: And I think you're one of the few that didn't get the boot.:thinking: :doh:

Sweetwater Red
08-20-2008, 12:48 PM
No, but you best buddy has one.:devil: :devil: And I think you're one of the few that didn't get the boot.:thinking: :doh:

I got booted for inactivity. I look in every once in a while because
that one kid puts together some pretty cool videos.

Stangs325
08-20-2008, 01:54 PM

they practice today at either 3 or 4 and so im gona go by sometime around there and check it out. Losin him and adamez will hurt tremendously. Adamez is one of the best DE's around and hes Birdwells #1 pass target. Hopefully they will both be better by week 1 cause this season is gona be hard enough with everyone healthy

DaHop72
08-20-2008, 01:56 PM
Adamez.... Birdwells #1 pass target. Don't let Stang Red see that, he'll call you a liar. :D :D You used the p word. :devil: :devil:

Stangs325
08-20-2008, 02:51 PM
Don't let Stang Red see that, he'll call you a liar. :D :D You used the p word. :devil: :devil:

wel out of the 3 times they throw. 2 are to him hahaha. but the reason i said that was because the 3 games birdwell started last year him and adamez hooked up a couple of times

DaHop72
08-20-2008, 02:54 PM
wel out of the 3 times they throw. 2 are to him hahaha. but the reason i said that was because the 3 games birdwell started last year him and adamez hooked up a couple of times The Decatur game I went to early in the year I saw them throw the ball more in one game then I had seen total the 3-4 years before. Then when Hosley came back it didn't happen again.:doh:

lion75
08-20-2008, 03:36 PM
Was he #46 I think, the bulldozer that kept running over and through people? I think that's his number.

Stangs325
08-20-2008, 07:11 PM

alright i made it to practice and he was suited out. he just stretched and warmed up for an hour while they were doin defence then on O he went out and got normal first reps and I could somewhat tell it was botherin him. And it is his back thats hurt because he had some kind of brace on it. But idk. there is a big diference from practice and a game haha so I guess we'l see tomorow night. And as far as adamez he was out watching again in his shorts and under armor