PDA

View Full Version : La Grange Liberty Hill Scrimmage

Pudlugger
08-16-2008, 04:05 PM
The Leps held their own during the scrimmage portion of the morning match up tying it up 4-4. The Leps were able to pass the ball effectively and several of their receivers impressed. However, the Panther offense with their powerful line and physical running backs were able to move down the field against the smaller but hard hitting Lep defense. The Leps showed excellent speed but they were caught flat footed by the seamless execution of the wing T misdirection running game on more than one occasion. This Liberty Hill team proved its number one standing however, going into the simulated game quarter and taking advantage of Lep miscues to win 3-0. On the first Lep posession they were held short and on 4th and 3 the punter fumbled the snap giving a short field and easy td to make it 2-0. The Leps came back to the Panther 8 on several impressive passes. However, the qb threw an interception to end that drive. The Panthers scored on the next drive to go away 3-0.

The Leps should feel pretty good about this showing as they held their own against a truly powerful and effecient opponent. They have an excellent passing game with plenty of depth at the skill positions and the o line looks to be better than expected from a young team. The defense needs to work on the pass defense though. The Panthers burned them several times with blown coverage. Film review to be helpful here. Tackling was hard and sound and with a little work they will be okay against the run. Expect the Panthers to dominate this season. They are big, fast and extremely well coached.

All in all it was not a bad day. It was a little hot but no thunderstorms, unless you count the rolling thunder from the Panther backfield LOL. Good luck to both teams.

LH Panther Mom
08-16-2008, 04:14 PM
Very well put, Pud. I was impressed with the Leps and wish you the best of luck during the rest of the season! :clap:

The only drawback for me was the folks sitting behind us jawjacking. Considering they weren't from LH or LG, I shouldn't have been overly surprised.

Rolling Thunder! Panther Pride!

duke55
08-16-2008, 04:17 PM
nice.....Columbus won 5 -0 against schulenburg although schulenburg is 2a, columbus's defense looks strong...;)

allforball
08-16-2008, 04:46 PM
A great confidence booster for an inexperienced LG team. As Pud said, LH showed their experience and smash mouth football in the simulated quarter. LG will continue to get better as the season progresses. If they can compete with LH like they did today, they will hold their ground well in their tough district. Very impressed with first year Varsity receivers, Bunch & Wilkerson. QB's both did well also.

Go LG!!!

HEMOTOXIC
08-16-2008, 05:25 PM
Well, LG is one of my favorites in that district.

Good luck to both teams.

K-MAC Chuck
08-16-2008, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Very well put, Pud. I was impressed with the Leps and wish you the best of luck during the rest of the season! :clap:

The only drawback for me was the folks sitting behind us jawjacking. Considering they weren't from LH or LG, I shouldn't have been overly surprised.

Give me some names, Mom..I'll go get 'em...

buff4ever
08-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Didn't sound to me like in a 4 qtr game that LG would have held there own all that well. Sounds like in the scrimmage part they did okay, but that is far different than 4 qtrs.

Sounds like LH drew LG in to the misdirection and then had some easy aerials due to it. LG, stay positive, your secondary will not have to focus in on the run near as much many times this year.

Pudlugger
08-16-2008, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by buff4ever
Didn't sound to me like in a 4 qtr game that LG would have held there own all that well. Sounds like in the scrimmage part they did okay, but that is far different than 4 qtrs.

Sounds like LH drew LG in to the misdirection and then had some easy aerials due to it. LG, stay positive, your secondary will not have to focus in on the run near as much many times this year.

Well, here is where experience comes into play. The Leps made two big errors in the quarter while the Panthers capitalized. A fumbled snap on a punt giving the short field and then an interception at the Panther 5 stopping a very impressive drive. That was a 2 td swing in the 3-0 quarter. These are things that you expect from a young team and they will just get better as the season progresses. Needless to say the Panthers are a better football team but the Leps did look good in this match up. I am pleased and expect the Leps to have a successful season in 2008.

Runnin Panther
08-16-2008, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Well, here is where experience comes into play. The Leps made two big errors in the quarter while the Panthers capitalized. A fumbled snap on a punt giving the short field and then an interception at the Panther 5 stopping a very impressive drive. That was a 2 td swing in the 3-0 quarter. These are things that you expect from a young team and they will just get better as the season progresses. Needless to say the Panthers are a better football team but the Leps did look good in this match up. I am pleased and expect the Leps to have a successful season in 2008.

I think Pud summed it up pretty well. There were positives and negatives for both teams. The Leps definitely have some goods things to build on. Best of luck to you guys.

44INAROW
08-16-2008, 11:08 PM
did ya'll have any weather issues? It rained on and off in Lockhart for our scrimmage and we left early :( Anxioius to see LG next week:)

Runnin Panther
08-16-2008, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
did ya'll have any weather issues? It rained on and off in Lockhart for our scrimmage and we left early :( Anxioius to see LG next week:)

Except for being HOT and HUMID it was perfect, you know typical Texas weather.

Rocket
08-16-2008, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

i thought that was you sitting in front of us...

Pudlugger
08-17-2008, 09:30 AM
One interesting item worth discussion is the qb situation at La Grange. The senior lefty Henderson was impressive in his coolness in the pocket and threw the ball with authority. He also demonstrated a hard rushing ability lowering his shoulder and bulling his way through a couple of stud LH linebackers and safeties. He made one rookie error throwing a pass into coverage deep in LH territory that was intercepted. I'm sure he will wish he had tucked and run on that play upon review of films LOL.

The interesting thing is that the Leps have another outstanding qb in Schneider the junior. He rotated in both the first and second teams offense and really has a strong arm. He gets the ball accurately and quickly to his receivers. His efficiency must have been very high as he completed about 70% with no interceptions.

One telling thing was that the second team moved the ball consistently to score twice in the scrimmage portion.
The Leps appeared to have plenty of depth in that they looked good in both the first and second teams on both offense and defense. This could be a crucial factor late in the season.

The qb situation will work its way out by game three imo. Right now it looks like the starting job is still up for grabs with two excellent candidates. With both qbs showing poise and authority this can only make each better. Either way the Leps will be rock solid in the qb position.

LHexPlayer
08-17-2008, 11:19 AM
Practice? We talkin about practice?

LHexPlayer
08-17-2008, 12:58 PM
La Grange had two good QB's. Their coaches have a tough decision to make there. Both of the guys were about the same. Is La Grange planning on running the ball at all this year? You guys didn't work on your run game at all. You ran the ball maybe 3 times the entire practice. La Grange reminded me of Rockdale two years ago. La Grange looks young (kinda small), but they play very hard. I think they are still a year away from making some noise.

Pudlugger
08-17-2008, 01:13 PM
The Leps will run the ball. They had a couple of good runs one on a qb draw for about 40 yards by Henderson IIRC. I think the coaches wanted to do a shakedown cruise of the passing game to help decide which qb will get the starting role. Also, the LH run defense made it tough to try anything between the tackles except a draw play. LH is just so good. I expect the Leps will break out with the running game a little more each week as the O line gets better and the timing improves. However, the Leps will be a passing team this year as they are deep in talent at receivers and qb. If you were at the scrimmage you would have noted that the receivers did not drop many catchable passes and the qbs got the ball to them quickly and accurately. Lep opponents will need to get their secondaries tuned up for sure. Interesting though as the Panthers mostly ran but when they needed to they threw very effectively as a powerful running game frees up the pass. Same thing the other way, a powerful passing game frees up the run, especially draw plays and lateral screen passes. Cheers.:)

LH Panther Mom
08-17-2008, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Rocket
i thought that was you sitting in front of us... :doh: :doh: :doh: Didn't realize you had ties in that neck of the woods, too. :eek:

In that case, it's 276. :mad: :p