PDA

View Full Version : Well, My Thoughts on WC and Angleton...

Necks_Fan
08-16-2008, 12:51 PM
First off let me say this. It was overcast all morning so that made for some nice weather.... not too hot.

I'll do a position by position breakdown and assessment of the overall team play.

Qb- Raley played well and threw nice passes on the run. His decision making looked a bit off as there was pressure and he did take some shots.

Rb's- Looked to be pretty good. Johnican took one for a long run through the middle and looked to have a consistant 3-4 yd rush with the exception of a few busted plays.

Wr's- Could use some work. Looked a bit slow and had 4-5 dropped passes. Not good. I expected better from them.

O line- They look bigger and better than last year. There were some troubles and early on they had trouble. With a little work should be more than adequate.

D line- Looked a bit outmatched versus Angleton. They had a tough time getting in the backfield w/o a blitz. They did make a few good plays.

LB's- Looked good at times. They made some nice plays and some bad ones. I saw too many missed tackles. Good speed.

Secondary- Looks slow. They were a bit late on many plays. A good passing QB will kill us.

Rushing Offense---- B
Rushing Defense (Rb's)---- A-
Rushing Defense (Qb's)---- F
Pass Defense---- C+
Passing Offense----- A
Special Teams---- B+

Running Qb's will hurt WC as usual. Dual threats will hurt even more.

I saw some really good plays, and some plays that didn't work so well, that's really what its all about though.

Our 2 minute Drill needs ALOT of work.

Overall, I would say we looked pretty good. About what I expected. If I was an Angleton Fan, I would not be impressed. A good 4A squad like Angleton should have handled us a bit better than they did.

1/2 of actual play,
Angleton scored 2 Touchdowns, 13 points
WC scored one touchdown, 6 points.

I overall, I would give WC a :thumbsup:

i will give a JV and Freshman update in a little while.

IHStangFan
08-16-2008, 02:06 PM
Assuming the time posted on their webpage is correct, the Jays will scrimmage tonight at 7. Hoping to get a look at them.

scrub c
08-16-2008, 05:04 PM
necks_fan,

Im impressed by you breakdown.
I think you hit the nail on the head.

From where I was sitting, I would grade it out the same way. Potential is there, but looked a little slow against a VERY fast A-town.

Necks_Fan
08-16-2008, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by scrub c
necks_fan,

Im impressed by you breakdown.
I think you hit the nail on the head.

From where I was sitting, I would grade it out the same way. Potential is there, but looked a little slow against a VERY fast A-town. Is angleton that fast, or are we that slow?

mistanice
08-16-2008, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Is angleton that fast, or are we that slow?

does angleton still have their RB from last year, he was a speedster, track star.

Necks_Fan
08-16-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
does angleton still have their RB from last year, he was a speedster, track star. No, DJ Monroe Graduated. He plays for UT.

They had one really quick Qb, #21.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-17-2008, 10:26 AM

If I was an Angleton Fan, I would not be impressed. A good 4A squad like Angleton should have handled us a bit better than they did..

Angleton most likley played thier "B" sqaud, as you said Brenham did vs Bellville.

Necks_Fan
08-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
Angleton most likley played thier "B" sqaud, as you said Brenham did vs Bellville. I said Brenham might have, and Angleton might have. But from what I hear, brenham is a Top 4A supposedly, Angleton is not.

That leads me to believe that Angleton was playing their 1's.

Maybe not, but when we rotated, they rotated.

LeonJr
08-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Leon wants to know, "who is WC and Angleton"

Necks_Fan
08-17-2008, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by LeonJr
Leon wants to know, "who is WC and Angleton" West Columbia(3A)

Angleton (4A)

South of Houston, Brazoria county....

Highway 35 runs through both towns.

mistanice
08-17-2008, 12:43 PM
West Columbia(3A)

Angleton (4A)

South of Houston, Brazoria county....

Highway 35 runs through both towns.

and Angleton now coached by former Diboll HC Finis Vanover.

Necks_Fan
08-17-2008, 02:02 PM
Link (http://stories.thefacts.com/story.lasso?ewcd=329a7e1cc743c1e4)

Columbia rough and ready for 2008

By Chris Greene
Special to The Facts

Published August 15, 2008

WEST COLUMBIA — A year removed from a season that didn’t include a playoff appearance, the Columbia Roughnecks are projected to lead the way this year in newly formed District 26-3A.

The ’Necks went 4-6 overall and 4-3 in District 24-3A last year, finishing fourth and watching Columbus, Sealy and Needville head into the postseason. Two of those teams — Columbus and Sealy — won’t be joining the Roughnecks in the newly aligned district that Dave Campbell’s Texas Football projects they will win. In the loop with the ’Necks this time around will be Needville, Royal, Stafford, Sweeny and Wharton.

Columbia head coach Leland Surovik said he expects Needville and county-rival Sweeny to present the biggest challenges in the district, but noted that no team can be overlooked.

Texas Football’s prediction, he said, had his players talking.

“They are pretty excited about being picked No. 1,” he said. “We want to try and win district and uphold what Dave Campbell has predicted.”Content-Disposition: form-data; name="story_summary"

WEST COLUMBIA — A year removed from a season that didn’t include a playoff appearance, the Columbia Roughnecks are projected to lead the way this year in newly formed District 26-3A. WEST COLUMBIA — A year removed from a season that didn’t include a playoff appearance, the Columbia Roughnecks are projected to lead the way this year in newly formed District 26-3A.

The ’Necks went 4-6 overall and 4-3 in District 24-3A last year, finishing fourth and watching Columbus, Sealy and Needville head into the postseason. Two of those teams — Columbus and Sealy — won’t be joining the Roughnecks in the newly aligned district that Dave Campbell’s Texas Football projects they will win. In the loop with the ’Necks this time around will be Needville, Royal, Stafford, Sweeny and Wharton.

Columbia head coach Leland Surovik said he expects Needville and county-rival Sweeny to present the biggest challenges in the district, but noted that no team can be overlooked.

Texas Football’s prediction, he said, had his players talking.

“They are pretty excited about being picked No. 1,” he said. “We want to try and win district and uphold what Dave Campbell has predicted.”

Columbia returns a slew of starters, including junior quarterback Gray Raley.

Raley passed for 1,155 yards, completing 52 percent of his passes as a sophomore. He also was intercepted 17 times, however, throwing just three touchdown passes.

Those and other turnovers were costly, Surovik said, but that’s part of having a young team.

“We had quite a few mental mistakes,” he said, but this year’s team should be better in part because they went through the growing process a season ago.

“We have several kids who know each other well,” Surovik said. “The senior class is pretty tight. They hang out together and throw the ball around. They are pretty close, and I think that can be a key.”

Also returning on offense are running backs Dexter Lewis, who rushed for 384 yards and six touchdowns last season, and Taylor Johnican.

Top receivers returning are Chad Ledbetter (seven catches for 164 yards) and Taylor Lane. Back on the offensive line are Taylor Wooten and Aaron Boucher.

Standouts returning on defense include outside linebacker Matt Podojil, inside linebacker Johnny Holmes, defensive end Robert Greco, tackle Darius Lewis, Christian Gerbich and Dexter Lewis.

“Our size is our strength on both sides of the football,” Surovik said. “Our weakness is going to be team speed, so we will need to use our size and strength to our advantage.”

The Roughnecks start the non-district portion of their season against one-time district rival Brazosport, then play St. Pius, Manvel, Houston Kashmere and El Campo. Almost all of Columbia’s non-district opponents are Class 4A teams, something Surovik said wasn’t planned but could pay off once district play begins.

“It is a tough schedule,” he said. “It wasn’t on purpose, it was just hard finding non-district games. You have to schedule games close to home and try and keep travel down.”

Surovik is beginning his second year as head coach at Columbia and his 11th overall as a football coach at the school. He was defensive coordinator before taking the helm last season.

This time around, he hopes to end the season well after Week 10.

“Our goal is to play two seasons,” he said. “We are going to play our non-district season to get ready for district, then we get a week off. And then we are going to start off with Needville (in the first 26-3A game) and play those five games in an effort to make the playoffs.”

Necks_Fan
08-17-2008, 02:05 PM
WEST COLUMBIA — The Columbia and Angleton football teams have been lining up only against their teammates, simulating game situations for almost two weeks. On Saturday the two squads finally got a chance to hit somebody wearing a different color jersey when the teams got together for a scrimmage at Griggs Field.

“It was wonderful to get out there and have somebody else line up across from you,” Angleton head football coach Finis Vanover said. “It has been a full, long two weeks of training camp but you can’t prepare for things you get in these scrimmages. Just coming together as a team against somebody else is a big deal.”

The Roughnecks were more than happy to welcome opponents on their turf.

“It’s your first test playing against somebody else and you always look forward to that,” Columbia head football coach Leland Surovik said. “Angleton is a very good 4A school and a great team for us get prepared for the season.”

The teams took turns Saturday on offense and defense and worked on special teams play in the controlled scrimmage. It was a matchup of teams with different strengths.

Although a Class 3A school, the Roughnecks have a lot of size while the Wildcats are a smaller, quicker bunch. Both coaches were glad to face a team of contrasting style.

“We’re big, strong and physical and need to face a faster team to work on those areas,” Surovik said. “You know Angleton has the speed. At times our lack of speed really showed, and then we make a good play. I thought we did a good job at the line of scrimmage and I was very pleased with the kids’ performance.”

Angleton is well aware of their breakaway potential on the field. But all that speed doesn’t mean anything if there are no holes to run through.

“We came into this scrimmage looking to work with our offensive and defensive lines,” Vanover said. “Columbia is big and that was a great thing for us to work against. I thought our guys up front did a great job. It was a great test for them. We’re going to keep working on our blocking and need to play more physical and aggressive.”

Neither squad suffered any injuries.

Angleton will have a final scrimmage at home 7 p.m. Friday against Westbury while Columbia travels to Santa Fe for a 7 p.m. session.

Jim Levesque is a sports writer for The Facts. Contact him at (979) 237-0161.

Link (http://stories.thefacts.com/story.lasso?ewcd=5b6fc8deabc07e56)

Necks_Fan
08-17-2008, 06:40 PM
ttt

scrub c
08-17-2008, 06:44 PM
quit post padding.

nobody wants to read about WC and Angleton.

Necks_Fan
08-17-2008, 06:46 PM
They had one really quick Qb, #21. TL told me this kid's name is Quandry Diggs....???

He said he is the little brother of San Diego Chargers CB Quentin Jammer. He said that he is a legit 4.4....

So that explains why we got burnt by him 2 times and that is also why I gave our Run Defense (Qb's) an F......

Lol. That kid just has a ton of talent, maybe we aern't that bad....

Necks_Fan
08-20-2008, 10:34 PM
I am TTT this thread just for FBB...

There's my thoughts on WC.....

apparently you didn't see it and think I just like to dog on other peoples' teams.

I try to speak the truth....

My point to you was, don't get over excited based on one good scrimmage....

My point to Deerspotter was, you played Schulenberg.....
Columbus is not as good as he makes them out to be so don't milk it up like he did....

EDIT: Well, I guess you did see it, cuz you posted on this thread, so whatever... I don't know why you told me yo post something about my team, cuz it's still there...... maybe you forgot...?

Whatever just my opinion, but if you're going to tell me to say something about my team, atleast do your HW first..... it's been here for a while now.