PDA

View Full Version : Bellville scores 5, vs 0 to 4a Brenham! (merged)

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-16-2008, 10:26 AM
It was all Bellville this morning in Brenham. Bellville scores 5 times to Brenhams 0. Bellville D held the 4a Cubs to minimum yards. Bellville O look like a 11 man team, passing and running the ball.
Great look by the Brahmas. Keep it up. Line play was also good, not as small of a O line as people think.
Bellville was very impressive this morning, vs a 4a team that is pick to win their district.

HEMOTOXIC
08-16-2008, 10:32 AM
Wow.....Go Bulls!

IHStangFan
08-16-2008, 10:34 AM
:clap:

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by HEMOTOXIC
Wow.....Go Bulls!

I know it is early in the season, but the Brahma performance this morning vs a 4a power would get any Bellville fan pumped up. Only if they can keep it up!

solocam
08-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Congrats bellville

rancher
08-16-2008, 12:23 PM
How did Muller and Nunn Look? Running and Passing game?

Pudlugger
08-16-2008, 12:32 PM
Great showing Bellville. Way to represent 3A D25!:)

rancher
08-16-2008, 12:45 PM
What is the date and time of the Needville scrimage? Is it in Bellville?

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by rancher

Surprisingly it was a team effort, but both did very well both ran the ball even Mueller. Good passing also.

JR2004
08-16-2008, 01:05 PM
Sounds like Bellville might have themselves a pretty good team this year.

Johnny Utah
08-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Bellville is always good, may have one of their better squads this year. Look out region 4.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Bellville is always good, may have one of their better squads this year. Look out region 4.

Just hopeing the Brahmas keep getting better, last year it seemed they did not get better as the season went on.
Looks they have a good group of young kids, and Mueller looked good under center, reminds me of Sims, just Better:D and Nunn is a powerfull and fast runner, it will take more than 1 to get him down.

Bull's-eye
08-16-2008, 01:34 PM

Nunn had several nice runs of at least 50 or more yards. He started the live scrimmage with a long run (50+ yards) and Mueller followed that with about a 20 yard scramble for the score. Mueller looked very good on the short & intermediate passes and showed good poise in the pocket. He is a big QB that's hard to bring down and kept several plays alive by slipping tackles. When flushed out of the pocket, he is a very effective runner.

Bull's-eye
08-16-2008, 02:24 PM
Forgot to give credit to the Bellville defense. I don't think Brenham ever crossed Bellville's 35 yard line. Bellville is playing a new defense and it is tailored for their talented group of LB's. It appears to be a 3-5-3 formation. Those LB's were really causing havoc in the Cub's backfield. Browning, Hackemack, J. Jackson, G. Jackson & Polk were all over the field.

CueroDad08
08-16-2008, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
It was all Bellville this morning in Brenham. Bellville scores 5 times to Brenhams 0. Bellville D held the 4a Cubs to minimum yards. Bellville O look like a 11 man team, passing and running the ball.
Great look by the Brahmas. Keep it up. Line play was also good, not as small of a O line as people think.
Bellville was very impressive this morning, vs a 4a team that is pick to win their district.

Dont get the hopes up to high now. Most teams along with "4A"'s dont go overboard trying to score. It means alot more to them to work on blocking and to tackle the right way. its a very early learning process. And the good teams learn and get ready for when it counts.

Bull's-eye
08-16-2008, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by CueroDad08
Dont get the hopes up to high now. Most teams along with "4A"'s dont go overboard trying to score. It means alot more to them to work on blocking and to tackle the right way. its a very early learning process. And the good teams learn and get ready for when it counts.

Wrong, both teams are definitely trying to score. Brenham has had success in the past, but today they were dominated by a more experienced Bellville team. I'm not sure how they would work on tackling & blocking (the right way) in a scrimmage, that's something to be done in practice drills. I can see teams running base plays without showing their whole playbook, but don't buy them not trying to score.

Brahma84
08-16-2008, 05:37 PM
What is the date and time of the Needville scrimage? Is it in Bellville?

Bellville plays Needville Thursday the 21st, in Bellville @ 7:30.

Necks_Fan
08-16-2008, 05:57 PM
Dont get the hopes up to high now. Most teams along with "4A"'s dont go overboard trying to score. It means alot more to them to work on blocking and to tackle the right way. its a very early learning process. And the good teams learn and get ready for when it counts. I don't know about the tackling thing, but I will say that usually both teams just run cupcake plays, the basics..... I wouldn't neccesarily say Bellville beats them by 35 in the reg season, but there is something to be taken from good play at a scrimmage.

I don't look so much for TD's, but for fundamentals and signs of things to come. Bellville can only get better, but they do have a history of starting fast and not gaining much over the course of a season.

I would say, don't focus so much on the score, as it's very possible Brenham was playing their "B" squad and getting looks at underclassmen. Focus on the fundamentals (ie tackling, blocking, play development, route running, gap assignments, qb accuracy.) I personally wouldn't like it much if I saw my team's qb rolling otu and taking shots trying to pick up 2 extra yds in a scrimmage.

Bull's-eye
08-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Bellville can only get better, but they do have a history of starting fast and not gaining much over the course of a season.

What do you base this on? Last season was difficult with several players quitting for various reasons, They also lost their middle LB to an injury and playing good teams late like Navasota, Giddings & Caldwell had more to do with them losing than them not improving. Two seasons ago they defeated WC early in the season, but lost to them in the playoffs. Remember, WC was without their stud RB in the first game and Bellville was missing their's in the playoffs. Look back through the 2000 season and you will see they had some very good playoff runs, so saying they have a history of not gaining much is incorrect.

Necks_Fan
08-16-2008, 06:51 PM
Ok, maybe I woded that wrong, let me re-phrase.

They are at full form early in the season when most other teams are still working to improve. So, it's not that they don't gain much, it's just they are already running at full strength so there isn't much to be gained.

My point was, over the years, they have shown to play well early in the season, so don't take one good showing and run with it....

Now, is that cleared up?:)

zebrablue2
08-16-2008, 07:21 PM
good job brahmas. I would have taken a tie with brenham, but to outscore them 5-0 is a very good start to the season. lets build on it, and win the district crown this season. here come the BULLS...

Bull's-eye
08-16-2008, 08:02 PM
Ok, maybe I woded that wrong, let me re-phrase.

They are at full form early in the season when most other teams are still working to improve. So, it's not that they don't gain much, it's just they are already running at full strength so there isn't much to be gained.

My point was, over the years, they have shown to play well early in the season, so don't take one good showing and run with it....

Now, is that cleared up?:)

It really depends on what kind of a team returns from the previous season. In 2004 they started 0-3 and lost to Marlin 49-0. Coaches made some changes and inserted some younger players and that team ended up making the playoffs. Bellville is always working to improve like any other team, so I have to still disagree with your statement. Nobody is running with this showing or predicting great things, but after last season, it's good to see a positive performance. Bellville has their next scrimmage against Needville, hopefully we find out a little more about this team.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-17-2008, 10:02 AM

I would say, don't focus so much on the score, as it's very possible Brenham was playing their "B" squad and getting looks at underclassmen.

"B" squad? what are you smokin? Brenham put their best vs Bellvilles best, and Bellville dominated. And saying a 4a works on other things besides scoring is a crock! Bellville played very good vs a 4a power. Lets take that away by saying it was vs Brenhams "B" squad by someone that was not there!

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-17-2008, 10:10 AM
Dont get the hopes up to high now. Most teams along with "4A"'s dont go overboard trying to score.

If this team keeps improving over yesterdays outing, that will be enough reason to have high hopes for this team. And saying a team wont go over board in scoring is wrong, every teams goal is to score points.
Saturday was a positive look, just keep it going!

I_DONT_CARE
08-17-2008, 10:50 AM
http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/739/firstplacetrophyik7.jpg
Here's your trophy. :rolleyes:

scrub c
08-17-2008, 01:38 PM
nice trophy...

Will be curious to see the outcome of the needelville/bellville scrim.

Necks_Fan
08-17-2008, 01:41 PM
"B" squad? what are you smokin? Brenham put their best vs Bellvilles best, and Bellville dominated. And saying a 4a works on other things besides scoring is a crock! Bellville played very good vs a 4a power. Lets take that away by saying it was vs Brenhams "B" squad by someone that was not there! Lol. So your telling me that Brenham put out there best players in a scrimmage vs a 3A team to give it their all and win, rather than get backups a little PT.

I never said that's what happened. i did, however, say that that was possible.:rolleyes:

scrub c
08-17-2008, 01:50 PM
bellville is probably pretty good.

Seems like I heard last year their sub-varsity teams were loaded with speed and skill kids.
Now a year older, they should be pretty good.

Necks_Fan
08-17-2008, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by scrub c

Seems like I heard last year their sub-varsity teams were loaded with speed and skill kids.
Now a year older, they should be pretty good. Not saying they aern't.

I just take everything that happens at a scrimmage, especially the first one, with a grain of salt.

Bull's-eye
08-17-2008, 02:07 PM
Both coaches run their first teams vs the other first teams for 15 plays, then they let the 2's compete against each other for another 10 plays. They do this twice before going to a live 20 minutes of action.

Bellville was also without their starting halfback and leading receiver.

Necks_Fan
08-17-2008, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Bellville was also without their starting halfback and leading receiver. So Nunn isn't starting anymore?

You said Nunn had several carries of 50 yds or more, or are you talking about someone else?

I couldn't imagine them starting someone else over Nunn.

Bull's-eye
08-17-2008, 02:22 PM

Actually, their 2007 varsity was forced to play a high number of sophs due to many Sr's quitting or getting hurt. Toward the end of last season, there were only 6-8 Sr's still playing. This year's team is mainly composed of those sophs & jr's from last year's varsity. I have only seen one underclassman starting, all the other starters were from last year's varsity.

Bull's-eye
08-17-2008, 02:35 PM
Nunn is actually the FB. Halfback Runnels started last year as a soph and was very good catching the ball out of the backfield.

KL3
08-17-2008, 02:56 PM

As they should be the next several years. Last year, the J.V. through 7th grade went a combined 34-2.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Lol. So your telling me that Brenham put out there best players in a scrimmage vs a 3A team to give it their all and win, rather than get backups a little PT.

Yes, Brenhams best 11 vs Bellvilles 11, Also Bellvilles backups out-played Brenhams Backups!

Did the 4a Angelton play their Back-ups vs WC? Maybe their 1st sting was in the stands.

Bull's-eye
08-17-2008, 04:45 PM
Did the 4a Angelton play their Back-ups vs WC? Maybe their 1st sting was in the stands.

:fnypost: :spitlol:

scrub c
08-17-2008, 05:00 PM
yeah, I saw a bunch of angleton kids in the visitors stands. I assume it was their varsity 1st string...

and angleton dusted us pretty bad...

scrub c
08-17-2008, 05:00 PM
with their backups...

Necks_Fan
08-17-2008, 05:48 PM
with their backups... Yea, Lol.

We looked like garbage....:(

Bull's-eye
08-17-2008, 06:04 PM
Yea, Lol.

We looked like garbage....:(

Sorry to hear that, I thought WC was favoite to win their district. Don't worry, it's still early.

Necks_Fan
08-17-2008, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Sorry to hear that, I thought WC was favoite to win their district. Don't worry, it's still early. Yea, not since we got dusted by angleton in a scrimmage, by needville last year.... and because Columbus didn't have their "Star".....

:devil:

zebrablue2
08-17-2008, 07:12 PM
here now kids- we have 11 weeks left. don't wear yourselves out on the first scrimmage--- LOL.. :stirpot:

scrub c
08-17-2008, 07:13 PM
ok.

I quit...

till next week

zebrablue2
08-17-2008, 07:17 PM
ok.

I quit...

till next week

needville will be a good test for the bulls. we will see what happens there..

scrub c
08-17-2008, 07:26 PM
we too are very curious as to the result of that one.

Do you know what they plan on doing?
2 live quarters? etc...

zebrablue2
08-17-2008, 08:12 PM
bellville/ brenham played 2 live quarters on sat, along with the 10-15 play deal, 1st and 2ed string. hopefully they will go 12 to 24 min. running clock...

HEMOTOXIC
08-18-2008, 04:47 PM
http://www.brenhambanner.com/articles/2008/08/18/sports/sports01.txt

Brahmas get rough on Cubs in scrimmage

By RICHARD BRAY/Sports Editor Monday, August 18, 2008 2:52 PM CDT

The Brenham Cub football team is looking to improve after a difficult scrimmage against Bellville on Saturday at Cub Stadium. Bellville scored four touchdowns and drove near the goal line two other times, while the Cubs scored once on a 70-yard run by Kendrick Washington. Banner-Press/Richard Bray

Brenham Cubs football coach Glen West knew his inexperienced team had a long way to go. Saturday’s scrimmage against the Bellville Brahmas showed just how far.

Bellville, a Class 3A program with high hopes for the coming season, scored four touchdowns on the Cubs’ defense and drove into the red zone without scoring on two other occasions as the Brahma backs consistently got outside of Brenham’s defenders.

Offensively, Brenham scored once, on a 70-yard touchdown run by Kendrick Washington that would have been called back in a regulation game after a flag was thrown for holding. The two teams agreed prior to the game that penalties would be called but not enforced.

For the Cubs, who won the District 18-4A championship for the fourth year in a row last season, it was a splash of cold water in the face.

“I don’t remember the last time we’ve had this many players that are brand new to positions,” West said. “If you looked at our offense, at the players that have really played varsity football on offense, we had two that started last year. If you look at some of the other guys that played other positions, like Kendrell (Washington) and Kendrick (Washington), they’re playing brand-new positions so that was part of it too.”

The scrimmage was divided into four 15-play possessions for each team, followed by 20 minutes of simulated game.

Defensively, the Cubs didn’t have a single starter returning to the defensive line or the linebacking corps, and that inexperience allowed Bellville to score on big plays. The Brahmas’ first touchdown came on their first possession of the scrimmage, when Bellville twice got outside Brenham’s defense and ran up the sideline for big gains.

Later, Bellville’s second team scored on a 70-yard touchdown pass down the middle of the field.

Bellville was even more successful during the “game situation” portion of the practice. Brenham was forced to punt on its first possession. Bellville ran 50 yards on a sweep down the right sideline on its first play, then scored on its second play with a 20-yard touchdown run by the quarterback.

Brenham punted once more before Bellville scored on a 68-yard run on its third play of the series. Both teams punted once more before the scrimmage ended.

“We did a really poor job of containing at new positions,” West said. “It wasn’t one person, but what was consistent was that nobody did a good job of taking care of containment.”

Bellville’s offense took advantage of Brenham’s inexperience with a series of misdirection plays. Several other times, Bellville’s quarterback broke containment and was able to run for yardage.

West said he was pleased with the Cubs’ interior defense, particularly defensive tackles Steven Mays and Joey Burns. Defensive end Jeremy Levi played well and likely earned himself a starting job, while safety Trenton Thomas was another bright spot, West said.

“It was not as bad as it seemed at the time,” West said, “but any time a team runs through you like they did today (Saturday) it obviously bothers you.”

Offensively, the Cubs didn’t seem to come away with many answers. Bellville is in the process of redesigning its defense, utilizing a 3-3 stack that includes a lot of stunts and blitzing. Bellville’s coaches had told Brenham prior to the scrimmage that they would stunt a lot to prepare for their own season, but the Cubs didn’t work on picking up blitz packages prior to the scrimmage, and struggled to pick up their blocks.

Bellville’s blitzes disrupted much of what Brenham tried to do, especially its play-action passes.

“At times we blocked pretty well up front, but if one guy misses the block on a stunt it wrecks the play,” West said. “Several times we actually blocked pretty well but we just didn’t get one guy, and of course you’ve got to do that.”

Running back Jacori Jackson had a good scrimmage, West said, as did center Joe Phillips, who was able to get the ball to the quarterback in Brenham’s shotgun sets even with a nose guard lined up right in front of him.

West said that although Kendrick Washington’s touchdown would have been called back, that the hold wasn’t anywhere near the play. In a game, West said, Brenham would have tried to get its players the ball in the open field more. The one time they did that, Kendrick Washington ran 70 yards, he pointed out.

“There’s plenty of talent out there,” West said. “That’s the good news. We just need to put it in the right places and figure some things out.........

Bull's-eye
08-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Brenham shame on for trying to count the 70 yd run, when in fact the holding call was the primary reason the back turned the corner. Yes, they didn't mark off penalties, but they did move the ball back and redo the down.

X15-MEM
08-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Enjoyed reading all the banter between the Bellville-West Columbia-Navasota and other fans. Scrimmages are just that a scrimmage, time for evaluation and determination. Yes, Bellville looked very good versus Brenham but let's not get ahead of ourselves, I personally am looking forward to the showdown with Sealy and hope we both show up with an unblemished record and the district championship on the line. Yet again this is a ways down the line and one at a time is the only way to go. Next concern Needville and more work on the passing game.

And yes Huebner does run a sub 4.7 and Babin is really over 6'4", 270lbs.

GO BRAHMAS

KL3
08-18-2008, 05:31 PM
Brenham newspapers/radio usually have several reasons, or excuses of why their teams don't perform well. This article is no different.

Unless I missed it, Coach West never gave any credit to Bellville. And why did the article not mention Bellville was without one of their starting RB's?

Bull's-eye
08-18-2008, 05:38 PM
Welcome X15-Mem, always good to have another Bellville poster.

zebrablue2
08-18-2008, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by X15-MEM
Enjoyed reading all the banter between the Bellville-West Columbia-Navasota and other fans. Scrimmages are just that a scrimmage, time for evaluation and determination. Yes, Bellville looked very good versus Brenham but let's not get ahead of ourselves, I personally am looking forward to the showdown with Sealy and hope we both show up with an unblemished record and the district championship on the line. Yet again this is a ways down the line and one at a time is the only way to go. Next concern Needville and more work on the passing game.

And yes Huebner does run a sub 4.7 and Babin is really over 6'4", 270lbs.

GO BRAHMAS

pretty stout first post. FBB will be proud. are you kin to xman by any chance--LOL....

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-18-2008, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by KL3
Brenham newspapers/radio usually have several reasons, or excuses of why their teams don't perform well. This article is no different.

Unless I missed it, Coach West never gave any credit to Bellville. And why did the article not mention Bellville was without one of their starting RB's?

Well said Brenham will never give credit to 3a Bellville, Bellville also beat Brenham in Baseball a few years back and the samething happend, excuses, no credit.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-18-2008, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by HEMOTOXIC
http://www.brenhambanner.com/articles/2008/08/18/sports/sports01.txt

Brahmas get rough on Cubs in scrimmage

By RICHARD BRAY/Sports Editor Monday, August 18, 2008 2:52 PM CDT

Offensively, Brenham scored once, on a 70-yard touchdown run by Kendrick Washington that would have been called back in a regulation game after a flag was thrown for holding.

West said that although Kendrick Washington’s touchdown would have been called back, that the hold wasn’t anywhere near the play. .

The hold was on the right side of the runner, 5 feet from him.

scrub c
08-18-2008, 09:39 PM
geesh...

once again, after all the hype out of the bellville camp, it seems as if anything less than a state championship will be a complete failure.

I mean after completely dismantling a team like brenham, it sounds as if they should be ranked in the top 5 in the state.

glad they will be div 2

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-18-2008, 09:55 PM
geesh...
it seems as if anything less than a state championship will be a complete failure.

I mean after completely dismantling a team like brenham, it sounds as if they should be ranked in the top 5 in the state.

Has a Bellville fan said these things? State Championship, Top 5?
Show were a Brahma fan has said this.
You have nothing good to say about your team? Well dont knock us for being excited about what we saw in out 1st scrimmage. They might do a total turnaround in scrimmage #2, but maybe not.

zebrablue2
08-18-2008, 10:34 PM
geesh...

once again, after all the hype out of the bellville camp, it seems as if anything less than a state championship will be a complete failure.

glad they will be div 2

and your POINT IS?????????????????????????????

scrub c
08-19-2008, 04:36 AM

You have nothing good to say about your team?

Well, the booster club did serve some awesome hamburgers at the concession stand... :D

Necks_Fan
08-20-2008, 10:30 PM
Has a Bellville fan said these things? State Championship, Top 5?
Show were a Brahma fan has said this.
You have nothing good to say about your team? Well dont knock us for being excited about what we saw in out 1st scrimmage. They might do a total turnaround in scrimmage #2, but maybe not. Say bro, I think it was a joke. Lighten up....