PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Age Question....

kaorder1999
08-15-2008, 11:52 AM
I keep hearing these stories about the Chinese and their age issues. I keep hearing that they are supposed to be 16. Is this coorect? If that is the case, why did they have a 15 year old in Gymnastics yesterday and why do we (US) have a 15 year old swimmer? Im confused.

Pick6
08-15-2008, 11:55 AM
They can be 15 if they turn 16 this calender year.

kaorder1999
08-15-2008, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Pick6
They can be 15 if they turn 16 this calender year.

ok...that makes sense. They have to turn 16 in the Olympic calender year...

sahen
08-15-2008, 12:05 PM
also, gymnastics has their age rule at 16, im pretty sure other sports are different....for some you have to be 18 others may not have an age requirement (not sure on that).....

kaorder1999
08-15-2008, 01:00 PM
i was wondering if it was just gymnastics or what..

BwdLions
08-15-2008, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
I keep hearing these stories about the Chinese and their age issues. I keep hearing that they are supposed to be 16. Is this coorect? If that is the case, why did they have a 15 year old in Gymnastics yesterday and why do we (US) have a 15 year old swimmer? Im confused.

Some of China's gymnists look like they're 11 or 12 to me.

Old Tiger
08-15-2008, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by BwdLions
Some of China's gymnists look like they're 11 or 12 to me. one of them is 12 and another is 14

kaorder1999
08-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
one of them is 12 and another is 14
not according to China....:rolleyes:

LH Panther Mom
08-15-2008, 02:39 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/gymnastics/news?slug=dw-gymnastsage081408&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Phil C
08-15-2008, 03:19 PM
Now now everyone. We must pause and reflect. Remember there must be some mistakes or inadvertent careless here. Remember Chinese history and their reputation. China has always had a great reputation of maintaining integrity and honesty and truthfulness. We must remember that fact and that includes me. Remember - Judge not lest Ye be Judged.

Txbroadcaster
08-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Now now everyone. We must pause and reflect. Remember there must be some mistakes or inadvertent careless here. Remember Chinese history and their reputation. China has always had a great reputation of maintaining integrity and honesty and truthfulness. We must remember that fact and that includes me. Remember - Judge not lest Ye be Judged.

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul

Phil C
08-15-2008, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul

Remember Tx - Honor is most important to a Chinese. That is history. Plus a man from China told me all this when I was in college. That adds to the credibility.

Phil C
08-15-2008, 03:28 PM

Tx what was it in the post you didn't like? :confused:

themsu97
08-15-2008, 03:49 PM

I do not know what is funnier... this quote or the fact that Phil does not get it...

it is from Billy Madison Phil...

hey Phil... what is the latest on DJ Monroe at UT?

Phil C
08-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
I do not know what is funnier... this quote or the fact that Phil does not get it...

it is from Billy Madison Phil...

hey Phil... what is the latest on DJ Monroe at UT?

I haven't heard anything recent but I think he is going to be a good football player there.

GreenMonster
08-15-2008, 06:22 PM
If a 12 yr old or 14 yr old can beat the best in the world then so be it. If they were bringing 16 yr olds into a 12 yr old meet I would feel differently, but that isn't the case. The Olympics are supposed to showcase the world's very best athletes. If that athlete is 12 then kudos for them.

wimbo_pro
08-15-2008, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
If a 12 yr old or 14 yr old can beat the best in the world then so be it. If they were bringing 16 yr olds into a 12 yr old meet I would feel differently, but that isn't the case. The Olympics are supposed to showcase the world's very best athletes. If that athlete is 12 then kudos for them.

In a way, GreenMonster, I agree. The problem is, its against the rules. The rules are put in place so places like China and their government backed programs dont abuse children who are far too young to object if they want to.

Rules are rules...I would hope you agree. If THIS rule can be over looked, what about doping rules? Where does it stop?

VAMike
08-15-2008, 08:16 PM
The rule is apparaently just for gymnastics (and just for the Olympics). There is a 14 year old British diver in synchronized diving.

And lest anyone think the rule is there to "prevent abuse" of any kid....all the descriptions I have heard say the rule is there because the younger gymnasts have an advantage by being smaller and more flexible than slightly older girls.

Apparently the IOC has finally woken up:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/aug/15/olympics2008.olympicsgymnastics1?gusrc=rss&feed=sport

Necks_Fan
08-15-2008, 08:20 PM
what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul Lol.

Billy Madison!

Nice reference.... 2 points.