PDA

View Full Version : Rockdale Tigers

Milk That Cow
08-15-2008, 12:39 AM
Excited about seeing the Giddings/Rockdale match up this weekend...

Curious to see what's going on with the QB situation in Giddings...

As far as the Tigers, there hasn't been this much pre-season hype over a Tiger Football Team since the 1980s...

that is all...

gato 76
08-15-2008, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Milk That Cow
Excited about seeing the Giddings/Rockdale match up this weekend...

Curious to see what's going on with the QB situation in Giddings...

As far as the Tigers, there hasn't been this much pre-season hype over a Tiger Football Team since the 1980s...

that is all...

Is Jeff Miller still the hc/ad ?

RdaleBoi08
08-15-2008, 01:19 AM
Yup

Buffgal
08-15-2008, 07:26 AM
Ready to see Buffs and Tigers scrimmage too.

Inner squad stuff is not very interesting....

As far as QB @ Giddings....saw a short husky one and a skinny taller one. Not much difference (IMO, that I could see anyway) except that one could throw a little and the other one not so good in that area. Hard for either of them to get much of anything going with all the switching back and forth. After this scrimmage, I would imagine that there will be a more definite decision on the QB. They need as much exposure/repititions as possible, one was the JV QB and the other was a LB last yr.

In general, speed is still there (RB/FB/WR) and now some size on the line. We'll see Saturday if the big guys know how to move/block.

Dogman_1969
08-15-2008, 09:45 AM
Looking forward to Tomorrow as well. The Tigers will host a very good Giddings squad. One of the young men that will get a look at QB for the Buff's I have known for about 4 years and watched him when we played Giddings through the years. Even talked some 7 on 7 strategy with him at the Navasota SQT this past summer. He is a very respectful young man and is a very explosive player in football as well as the basketball court.

It should be a lot of fun to watch......

ILS1
08-15-2008, 11:36 AM
Seems like the only ones hyping the Tigers are the Rockdale fans!! Then by mid season the hype will be over!!!

:)

rockdale80
08-15-2008, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by ILS1

What was the score last year? ;)

Johnny Utah
08-15-2008, 01:05 PM
GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dogman_1969
08-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by ILS1

Are you one of the folks from Hutto that is glad you moved out of 3A????

c-town_balla
08-15-2008, 01:38 PM
I'm not one to think that Rockdale is going to be bad....but when a team is poised to have a breakout year there is usally a little bit of hype from other towns but all of Rockdales hype is from Rockdale

Johnny Utah
08-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Truth!
HUTTO WELCOME TO 4A!!!

ILS1
08-15-2008, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80

What was the score last year?

And what was the score the 2 years before that....yeah....bye bye!!

And maybe if Rockdale EVER gets out of the 1st round of the playoffs......then we'll talk!!!!

:D :D

HEMOTOXIC
08-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Well, we will all see. I know in Rattler Country, we are not looking forward to traveling to Rockdale and Cameron.

1st and goal
08-16-2008, 04:39 PM
Did anyone go to the scrimmage?

buff4life
08-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by HEMOTOXIC
Well, we will all see. I know in Rattler Country, we are not looking forward to traveling to Rockdale and Cameron.

i wouldn't want to go to Cameron either...

buff4ever
08-16-2008, 09:01 PM
Heard that the buffs scored twice to Rockdale's one. Rockdale stopped giddings from scoring a third time with a goalline stand after 1st and goal.

Giddings defense sounded pretty good almost shut rockdale out, not allowing many first downs or yards, just letting them in once on a big play either to score or get down the field to set up the score, not clear on which.

If anyone was there, chime in and see if this is how you saw it.

gtownfan
08-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by buff4ever
Heard that the buffs scored twice to Rockdale's one. Rockdale stopped giddings from scoring a third time with a goalline stand after 1st and goal.

Giddings defense sounded pretty good almost shut rockdale out, not allowing many first downs or yards, just letting them in once on a big play either to score or get down the field to set up the score, not clear on which.

If anyone was there, chime in and see if this is how you saw it.

That about sums it up. Giddings scored on a long run by the quarterback and a long pass play. Rockdale scored on a long run by the quarterback.

The was no simulated game run at all. Just 1st teams twice and 2nd teams once.

Both teams looked rusty, but then again, it was the first scrimage. Giddings worked a lot on the passing game and had 4-5 real good catches. Rockdale ran a couple screens that gave Giddings a hard time.

Most notable thing I saw was Giddings O-line was big, and their d-line was little. They had a real small nose guard, but he did a pretty good job plugging up the middle.

Dogman_1969
08-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Actually, Rockdale's first score was a long run by the QB but was called back. The Tigers second score they moved the ball down the field in about 6 plays ending on short pass for the TD.

Giddings offense was pretty much held in check except for 3 plays. The Buff's broke a long run early on their first series but were stopped on 4 plays inside the 5 yd line. The first Buff td was on a QB keeper after he was wrapped up in the backfield and let go after a good option fake, their second score was on the last play of their offensive series on a long pass with several Tiger starters already out of the line up.

All in all a typical scrimmage, a little sloppy, several flags on both teams and very few scores.

The Tigers have Robinson on Thursday........

Milk That Cow
08-16-2008, 11:50 PM
Interesting Scrimmage...

Rockdale has some Talent, that's not in question...

They had more talent than Giddings did. But, in my opinion you could tell who is used to winning and who is not...

The Tigers have a chance to be pretty good if they can get coached up...

The Buffs have a chance to be pretty good if they stay healthy and get some good QB play....

Dogman_1969
08-16-2008, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Milk That Cow
Interesting Scrimmage...

Rockdale has some Talent, that's not in question...

They had more talent than Giddings did. But, in my opinion you could tell who is used to winning and who is not...

The Tigers have a chance to be pretty good if they can get coached up...

The Buffs have a chance to be pretty good if they stay healthy and get some good QB play....

For the first time I think we agree....

Both teams need to avoid injuries as well.......

Buffgal
08-17-2008, 08:40 AM
Giddings defense was better than expected after loss of so many key seniors in those positions. Small but Quick. They rushed Rockdale QB most of the scrimmage. Good test for him, he made some great scrambles and dumped the short pass for yardage. His experience & athleticism showed. He is very good.

Giddings offense mostly shut themselves down during the scrimmage not the other way around. Buffs were still trying out QB's, Masek/Plumlee switching every two plays. They worked on the passing game, timing not quite there yet. Even though many were incomplete, I was impressed with the passing since it's been a long time since Buff fans have seen any. Didn't see much of up the middle or option/sweep stuff or the speed would have been a huge factor. Corn fed O line, haven't seen that in a while either.

Good scrimmage for both teams. Rockdale has a lot of talent esp. 44 Hammett and the QB. If Giddings doesn't get too beat up (a few playing both ways) & can get the timing down on those passes, they will surprise some that think they are in a rebuilding year w/o Brock/Dock.

Very interesting observation about Giddings knowing how to win vs. Rockdale....How can you tell that from a scrimmage?

Pudlugger
08-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Sounds like Giddings will be tough again this season. The Buffs just keep reloading lately. Must be the water supply up that way LOL.

Old Tiger
08-17-2008, 02:09 PM
was the short QB wearing #6 Fitzhenry's little brother?

Dogman_1969
08-17-2008, 03:03 PM
I thought lil Fitz was playing JV and was injured during the JV portion of the scrimmage?

gtownfan
08-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
was the short QB wearing #6 Fitzhenry's little brother?

I think #6 was Plumlee, but not for sure. It definitely was not Broc's little brother. I did see someone from the JV icing down a finger, maybe that was him.

LH Panther Mom
08-17-2008, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by gtownfan
It definitely was not Broc's little brother.
What grade is he going to be in? For some reason, I thought he was going to be an 8th grader. :confused:

solocam
08-17-2008, 05:43 PM
He will be a freshman
Lots of speed

buff4life
08-17-2008, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Dogman_1969
Actually, Rockdale's first score was a long run by the QB but was called back. The Tigers second score they moved the ball down the field in about 6 plays ending on short pass for the TD.

Giddings offense was pretty much held in check except for 3 plays. The Buff's broke a long run early on their first series but were stopped on 4 plays inside the 5 yd line. The first Buff td was on a QB keeper after he was wrapped up in the backfield and let go after a good option fake, their second score was on the last play of their offensive series on a long pass with several Tiger starters already out of the line up.

geez don't even thinking about giving any credit or anything

Buffgal
08-18-2008, 02:16 PM
Spenser Fitzhenry is a freshman and played QB on the freshman team (gold jerseys) @ the scrimmage. Same thing as Brock as far as his age SO everybody get that "jab" about being 25 and playing high school football out of their system now.

I don't know who might have gotten injured. Didn't see anyone icing their hand/finger. Did see Spenser with the same "keep your legs going" style as his older brother and he carried several with him, even though he is not very big. He will certainly develop into another great player, speed is there already.

Varsity QBs who alternated were Trey Masek #4 and short, husky one was Rush Plumlee #6. (both juniors, both great baseball players, basically live across the street from each other) Masek was the JV QB and Plumlee was a varsity LB last year. Plumlee has no QB experience but he looked like he was picking it up pretty quickly. He has played RB/FB in middle school and was 1st team pick ADistrict LB . I think he might also be the punter this year, he was backup to Dock last yr. Masek also made some game winning catches this summer as a WR in 7x7. Both are good leaders and athletes. Not clear to anyone that I talked to who might get the start, since Plumlee would be a very valuable returning starter/leader on defense. Flip a coin????

Marcellus Mack has also been taking some snaps in practice but mainly plays WR. He was not suited up for the scrimmage, hopefully, he will be ready to go for the Burnet scrimmage on Thurs. Great tall, fast receiver with Good hands. I would expect him to stay @ WR/DB.

Dogman_1969
08-18-2008, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Buffgal
Spenser Fitzhenry is a freshman and played QB on the freshman team (gold jerseys) @ the scrimmage. Same thing as Brock as far as his age SO everybody get that "jab" about being 25 and playing high school football out of their system now.

I don't know who might have gotten injured. Didn't see anyone icing their hand/finger. Did see Spenser with the same "keep your legs going" style as his older brother and he carried several with him, even though he is not very big. He will certainly develop into another great player, speed is there already.

Varsity QBs who alternated were Trey Masek #4 and short, husky one was Rush Plumlee #6. (both juniors, both great baseball players, basically live across the street from each other) Masek was the JV QB and Plumlee was a varsity LB last year. Plumlee has no QB experience but he looked like he was picking it up pretty quickly. He has played RB/FB in middle school and was 1st team pick ADistrict LB . I think he might also be the punter this year, he was backup to Dock last yr. Masek also made some game winning catches this summer as a WR in 7x7. Both are good leaders and athletes. Not clear to anyone that I talked to who might get the start, since Plumlee would be a very valuable returning starter/leader on defense. Flip a coin????

Marcellus Mack has also been taking some snaps in practice but mainly plays WR. He was not suited up for the scrimmage, hopefully, he will be ready to go for the Burnet scrimmage on Thurs. Great tall, fast receiver with Good hands. I would expect him to stay @ WR/DB.

Marcellus Mack is a fine young man an a very good athlete. I'm sure he was missed by the buff's. He will do big things for the Buff's.

buff4ever
08-18-2008, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Dogman_1969
Marcellus Mack is a fine young man an a very good athlete. I'm sure he was missed by the buff's. He will do big things for the Buff's.

Only if he can avoid injury and stay suited up. I remember him being hurt a lot. Athletic ability is no doubt with Mack.