PDA

View Full Version : China's Medals?

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Are the Medals, Gold, Silver, and Bronze? Heard on the news the Medals were Lead with gold paint. The winners were told not to kiss their Medals. If this is true, that is cheap of China, just like the fireworks, and kid singer.

Ranger Mom
08-14-2008, 10:33 PM
I figured ALL the Olympic medals have always been "made in China" anyway.....everything else is!!

Antec
08-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Noticed that there is white trim around the gold ones or a white area

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-14-2008, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I figured ALL the Olympic medals have always been "made in China" anyway.....everything else is!!

Not everything, Blue Bell, and Shiner Beer are made here.:D

Ranger Mom
08-14-2008, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
Not everything, Blue Bell, and Shiner Beer are made here.:D

That's good to know!!

I was in Kirklands several weeks ago and found some 4th of July stuff on sale, I was going to buy a windchime that said, "America, land that I love" and turned it over and saw the "made in China" tag on it. Even at 70% off, I couldn't make myself buy it...it seemed unpatriotic!!:D

espn1
08-14-2008, 10:41 PM
Medals (http://en.beijing2008.cn/67/83/article214028367.shtml)

sahen
08-14-2008, 10:43 PM
they have specific standards for making the gold medals

http://www.nbcolympics.com/medals/funfacts/index.html

since China spent a ridiculous amount of money on the opening ceremonies i doubt they are jipping people on the gold medals...

the white you see around the medal is jade, china put it on their medals cause it represents honor in the chinese culture

popcorn screen
08-15-2008, 03:33 PM
A&M visits Floyd Casey this year...who you got? I was there two years ago and it was a very exciting game. I like both teams, so no preference.

sahen
08-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by popcorn screen
A&M visits Floyd Casey this year...who you got? I was there two years ago and it was a very exciting game. I like both teams, so no preference.

random time to throw that question in...i think we couldve won that game had Bell not blown out his knee in the 4th quarter...

i cant possibly predict the game as of now though, 2 new coaches means i have no idea what each team is going to look like, i just hope we are playing for something since the game is so late in the year...if you go by last year the Aggies should win, but of course the last time we beat them they beat us 73-10 or something like that the year before...

espn1
08-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by sahen
random time to throw that question in...i think we couldve won that game had Bell not blown out his knee in the 4th quarter...

i cant possibly predict the game as of now though, 2 new coaches means i have no idea what each team is going to look like, i just hope we are playing for something since the game is so late in the year...if you go by last year the Aggies should win, but of course the last time we beat them they beat us 73-10 or something like that the year before... What are their Medals made of?

sahen
08-15-2008, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by espn1
What are their Medals made of?

whose medals?

Pick6
08-15-2008, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by espn1
What are their Medals made of?

The IOC has strict stipulation on the Olympic medals' material, identification, weight, size and drawing. The medals for the champion and the runner-up are made of pure silver, and the champion's medal must be plated with gold weighing not less than six grams each. For the first time jade is used for the Olympic medals. The design not only meets the IOC requirements, but also expresses praise and honor that the Chinese people cherish for the Olympic Spirit and the Olympic athletes.