PDA

View Full Version : Question About Rating Stars

Hottogo
11-13-2003, 09:32 AM
Please help me understand. I notice that some people have 5 gold stars and others have 4 gold and 1 silver. What is the difference and what is the highest rating some one can get and based on what. Thanks.

sinton66
11-13-2003, 09:54 AM
Five Bright stars is the best you can get based on other posters' opinion of you. The silver stars you referred to are actually unlit stars. Four "gold" and one "silver" is actually a four star rating.

Hottogo
11-13-2003, 10:03 AM
Thanks, I know the rating thing is not that important, but Im just curious. Say one person has 20 post and is showing 5 gold stars with only one other person giving them a rating and another person has only 4 stars with 300 post and 8 other people giving them a rating. Is the guy with 4 stars rated lower because of negative ratings from others?

Hottogo
11-13-2003, 06:15 PM
Hottogo:
Thanks, I know the rating thing is not that important, but Im just curious. Say one person has 20 post and is showing 5 gold stars with only one other person giving them a rating and another person has only 4 stars with 300 post and 8 other people giving them a rating. Is the guy with 4 stars rated lower because of negative ratings from others?Anyone have an answer to this???????????????

crzyjournalist03
11-13-2003, 06:19 PM
yeah...they take the average of each person that rates you, so the more ratings you get, the more likely your stars will match what people think of you.

sinton66
11-13-2003, 06:33 PM
It's a weighted average though. I'm not sure what the weighting criteria is. I've just kinda assumed all along that a negative vote would have slightly more weight than a positive vote, but I don't know that for sure. The faq section doesn't explain it in great detail. I know that half points get you rounded up to the next whole star, ie, 3.5 rating equals 4 stars.