PDA

View Full Version : Schnellenberger calls out Texas!!

PHS Wildcats
08-13-2008, 09:00 PM
http://upsports.blogspot.com/2008/08/confidence-high-as-owls-prepare-for.html

Sunday, August 10, 2008
Confidence High as Owls Prepare for Texas
As FAU prepares for its first real game since the New Orleans Bowl last Dec. 21, confidence is high that the Owls can go into Austin and give the Longhorns a tough game - not just on the scoreboard but in the trenches.

Coach Howard Schnellenberger is firm in his belief that the FAU defense, which often won the turnover battles last season, is even better and meaner in 2008.

Schnellenberger believes that a mean, tough defense can stifle a Texas offense that thrives on athleticism, not physicality. While it may be hard to fathom that a Sun Belt team is scheming to overpower a team from the BIG XII, that is the game plan Schnellenberger is sticking to - at least out loud.

"Once we step out on the field with Texas, the only ones who can help us is ourselves. Texas always has a very polished team that has great talent, but they aren’t tough, they aren’t a physically tough team."

FAU returns eight starters on defense, and Schnellenberger is counting on them as well as four experienced backups moving into starting roles to lay the wood on the Texas receivers.

"My defense will get to a point where they will be mean, nasty and ornery bastards and that’s what you need for Texas. Texas will move the ball with tit-for-tat, screens and options, but we’ll make them pay a price whenever they catch one of those dinky passes. We’ll put three hats on them and make them not want to get up, that’s the way to beat Texas."

JR2004
08-13-2008, 09:09 PM
Well the "tough" part is hard to disagree with after some of their games last season.

Bull Butter
08-13-2008, 09:24 PM
This wouldn't be the first time Schnellenberger has "called out" an opponent. Or put his foot in his mouth, however you want look at it.................................

Back in 1995, Schnellenberger's Oklahoma Sooners were about to play Colorado, who had just lost star QB Koy Detmer to an injury. Schnellenbergrer grumbled about how he "didn't want any asterisk beside it after we beat their (behinds)"

That Saturday, Colorado, without Detmer went into Norman and blew out the Sooners 38-17.

After the game, CU coach Rick Neuheisel said "I took great joy in kicking his asterisk":D

solocam
08-13-2008, 09:48 PM
Imagine the coach of a powerhouse like FAU talking trash about the Horns

Bull Butter
08-13-2008, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by solocam
Imagine the coach of a powerhouse like FAU talking trash about the Horns

Yeah, sort of like Appalachian State coach Jerry Moore talking smack about Michigan.

Oh wait........................:doh:

popcorn screen
08-13-2008, 10:39 PM
Schnell has one a national championship, FAU will have athletes, but note ones that can compete with the horns. Horns will have their way with them and lots of kids will get to play.

popcorn screen
08-13-2008, 10:39 PM
My typing needs wurk

Emerson1
08-13-2008, 10:41 PM
http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/images/edit.gif is your friend

NastySlot
08-13-2008, 10:58 PM
didn't FAU and Miami get into a huge fight a few years ago?

DDBooger
08-13-2008, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
didn't FAU and Miami get into a huge fight a few years ago? that was Florida Intl.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBG5ZBGxufY

BwdLions
08-14-2008, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
that was Florida Intl.

They're all the same.

Phil C
08-14-2008, 09:54 AM
The last time a head coach publicly called out Texas that I remember was Navy Coach Wayne Hardin in the 1964 Cotton Bowl Game. He couldn't have fired up the Longhorns any more as UT whipped Navy 28 to 6.

Keith7
08-14-2008, 10:32 AM
don't worry UNT will take care of them this year

Maroon87
08-14-2008, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
This wouldn't be the first time Schnellenberger has "called out" an opponent. Or put his foot in his mouth, however you want look at it.................................

Back in 1995, Schnellenberger's Oklahoma Sooners were about to play Colorado, who had just lost star QB Koy Detmer to an injury. Schnellenbergrer grumbled about how he "didn't want any asterisk beside it after we beat their (behinds)"

That Saturday, Colorado, without Detmer went into Norman and blew out the Sooners 38-17.

After the game, CU coach Rick Neuheisel said "I took great joy in kicking his asterisk":D

And didn't Schnellenberger quit after that season?:thinking:

block&tackle
08-14-2008, 03:23 PM
FAU returns eight starters on defense, and Schnellenberger is counting on them as well as four experienced backups moving into starting roles to lay the wood on the Texas receivers.

[/B]
How long does he think that his defense will be allowed to play with 12 men?

BwdLions
08-14-2008, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
And didn't Schnellenberger quit after that season?:thinking:

Schnellenberger's problem has always been, he doesn't wait to get sober before he starts talking to the media. It usually gets him in trouble.

pirate4state
08-14-2008, 07:53 PM
I'm gonna have some opportunties to attend some 'Horn games this year. This is one and probably the A&M game! GO BBDE! :D

DDBooger
08-14-2008, 07:54 PM
i'll be there too! tailgating an boozing

pirate4state
08-14-2008, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
i'll be there too! tailgating an boozing

i hear that is quite an experience....i don't know if i'd make it INTO the game if i did the tailgating & boozing :eek: :doh:

WOS1
08-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by block&tackle
How long does he think that his defense will be allowed to play with 12 men?

LOL... I was thinking the same thing when I read that.:D