PDA

View Full Version : Local woman ticketed for dropping f-bomb

scrub c
08-13-2008, 10:09 AM
07:38 AM CDT on Wednesday, August 13, 2008

By Chris Paschenko / The Daily News

LA MARQUE — While shopping for supplies one night as Tropical Storm Edouard churned in the Gulf, Kathryn Fridge uttered the granddaddy of expletives.

Photo by Kevin M. Cox

La Marque resident Kathryn Fridge, shown with her daughter Chloe, 2, was issued a citation the night before Tropical Storm Edouard made landfall by Assistant La Marque Fire Marshal Alfred A. Decker IV for using the f-word inside Wal-Mart.

Fridge, 28, said she didn’t know she was within earshot of an assistant fire marshal.

What transpired next has Fridge in disbelief and authorities saying Assistant La Marque Fire Marshal Alfred A. Decker IV had no alternative but to issue her a citation for disorderly conduct.

Fridge said she went with her 2-year-old daughter and mother to Wal-Mart on Aug. 4 to buy batteries just in case Edouard left the county without electricity the following day.

The family went to the sporting goods section, and Fridge saw there were no lantern batteries on the shelf.

She turned to her mother and said, “They don’t have any f---ing more.”

“All of the sudden he comes from around the corner two to three feet away and said, ‘You need to watch your mouth,’” Fridge said.

Fridge said she walked away to leave, but Decker told her she needed to come to his car and started to pull out his handcuffs.

Decker, a former Hitchcock police officer, is a licensed peace officer with the state, according to state records.

A message left for Decker wasn’t returned.

La Marque Fire Chief Todd Zacherl said Decker went to the store to buy an inflatable mattress in case firefighters needed somewhere to sleep after the storm.

Decker wore his marshal’s uniform, badge and gun belt, Zacherl said. He said Decker identified himself, but Fridge said she didn’t know who Decker was at first.

“He was dressed like a firefighter, and I wasn’t about to let somebody I didn’t know make me go outside with him,” Fridge said.

As Fridge went to Decker’s car parked outside the automotive section, she said she uttered another curse word but didn’t explode on him. She said she didn’t know it was against the law to curse in public.

“He tried to talk to her, but he didn’t have a choice,” Zacherl said. “There were people standing around, kids and parents wondering if he was going to do anything about this.”

Zacherl said Fridge made a huge scene, cursing more, as she was led outside, handcuffed and then issued the citation.

“If she would have said, ‘yes sir,’ there would have been no problem and she would have been able to walk off, but there was not really much else he could do. He has to uphold the law,” Zacherl said.

Zacherl said Decker chose to cite Fridge rather than take her to jail, because the city would have been responsible for her well-being during the impending storm.

Zacherl also said there were witnesses to the incident, and if a complaint was filed against Decker, he would request the store’s security tape.

Fridge said Decker’s behavior was rude.

“I probably wouldn’t have acted that way if I knew what was going on,” Fridge said. “It happened so fast, I didn’t know how to react. He was being a real smart-ass himself,” Fridge said.

Fridge said Decker asked her whether she was always this rude.

“I told him only when people are treating me wrongly,” Fridge said. “I get tired of (cops) always having an attitude right off the bat.

“It’s not like I robbed anybody, to have that attitude with me when all I did was cuss.”

Fridge said she normally doesn’t curse in front of her child.

Zacherl said it’s extremely rare that a marshal would arrest someone.

“You just can’t go off swearing and hollering. You just can’t do it,” Zacherl said.

Fridge said she would be more careful about what she says in public from now on.

This story is available through KHOU, Ch. 11's partnership with The Galveston County Daily News.

Rocket
08-13-2008, 10:13 AM
Idiot people.

ronwx5x
08-13-2008, 10:17 AM
Good for him for having the nerve to confront her. She has shown the type of person she really is just by stating that "I get tired of (cops) always having an attitude right off the bat." This tells me it is not her first meeting with authority. An"anger management" class might help!
:clap: :clap:

JR2004
08-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Wasting time telling someone what they can and can't say...It could've been handled far better by both people.

DDBooger
08-13-2008, 10:22 AM
might as well earned the fine and told him to ____ off! :rolleyes: lol

ronwx5x
08-13-2008, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
Wasting time telling someone what they can and can't say...It could've been handled far better by both people.

Did you read the story? He first asked her not to curse in public (which is illegal, not just his opinion). She then proceeded to begin a tirade against him, and he took her outside to separate her from other customers.

And yes, we are told what not to say on a regular basis. Ever tried yelling "FIRE!: in a crowd? Ever tried cursing a teacher in class? Ever cursed a police officer when you were stopped for a traffic violation? Grow up.

DDBooger
08-13-2008, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Did you read the story? He first asked her not to curse in public (which is illegal, not just his opinion). She then proceeded to begin a tirade against him, and he took her outside to separate her from other customers.

And yes, we are told what not to say on a regular basis. Ever tried yelling "FIRE!: in a crowd? Ever tried cursing a teacher in class? Ever cursed a police officer when you were stopped for a traffic violation? Grow up. should have read the story, thanks for the clarification Ronw5x

Ranger Mom
08-13-2008, 10:31 AM
I wasn't aware it was against the law....so I guess this doesn't fall under "Freedom of Speech?"

I remember getting mad at kids, especially when my kids were younger who cussed all the time (and it was usually in Wal-Mart)....could I have made a Citizen's Arrest??:p :p

ronwx5x
08-13-2008, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I wasn't aware it was against the law....so I guess this doesn't fall under "Freedom of Speech?"

I remember getting mad at kids, especially when my kids were younger who cussed all the time (and it was usually in Wal-Mart)....could I have made a Citizen's Arrest??:p :p

Local ordinance, not state? In West Texas YOU are the law!

......................................:devil:..... ................................

Oh, by the way, he identified himself, explained it was against the law and this woman decided it didn't apply to her, only others? RM, you wouldn't do this, because you were raised better!!:) :)

Ranger Mom
08-13-2008, 10:39 AM
Local ordinance, not state? In West Texas YOU are the law!

......................................:devil:..... ................................

Oh, by the way, he identified himself, explained it was against the law and this woman decided it didn't apply to her, only others? RM, you wouldn't do this, because you were raised better!!:) :)

I wouldn't do what??

crzyjournalist03
08-13-2008, 10:43 AM

Obscenities are exempted from Freedom of Speech, and "cuss words" by definition, are obscenities.

Phantom Stang
08-13-2008, 10:54 AM
If I'm in a public place, and I overhear someone use a cuss word in a conversation that I'm not a part of, should I call 911??:rolleyes:

crzyjournalist03
08-13-2008, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
If I'm in a public place, and I overhear someone use a cuss word in a conversation that I'm not a part of, should I call 911??:rolleyes:

You can if you want. It doesn't mean that you have to! How many times do you call 911 when there's a parked car in a neighborhood that's facing the wrong direction based on the side of the street that it's on?

Ranger Mom
08-13-2008, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
You can if you want. It doesn't mean that you have to! How many times do you call 911 when there's a parked car in a neighborhood that's facing the wrong direction based on the side of the street that it's on?

Umm.....I think he was being sarcastic!:)

crzyjournalist03
08-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Umm.....I think he was being sarcastic!:)

I know, but he really could if he wanted to! :) Although I'd recommend calling the non-emergency line.

pirate4state
08-13-2008, 11:01 AM
:thinking: :thinking:

I always try to be aware of my surroundings when I cuss, but I know my boss has had to deal with these type of tickets as city attorney and he dismisses most of them b/c of the way the law is written.

Nursebetty
08-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Okay, so she should have just went with the cop peacefully outside and they could've discussed it..........that i agree with. But maybe they should have cops in every public place just for cursing, because.........let's be real........there are way too many people that get away with it if it is illegal to curse in public. I hear it way, way too much in stores and other public places. And kids are younger and younger cursing out in public these days....gee. I guess SHE just got caught........darn the luck!

RedWhiteBlue
08-13-2008, 11:18 AM
What's bad is the fact that she was saying it to her mother in front of her daughter! As old as I am- I still would never think of saying something like that in front of my mother and never in front of my child.
She deserved the ticket and I hope it came with a huge fine attached!

JR2004
08-13-2008, 11:22 AM

And yes, we are told what not to say on a regular basis. Ever tried yelling "FIRE!: in a crowd? Ever tried cursing a teacher in class? Ever cursed a police officer when you were stopped for a traffic violation? Grow up.

Read the story...Both people wasted their time. If you don't like my opinion then IGNORE it and grow up.

JR2004
08-13-2008, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:thinking: :thinking:

I always try to be aware of my surroundings when I cuss, but I know my boss has had to deal with these type of tickets as city attorney and he dismisses most of them b/c of the way the law is written.

It's not worth going to court over. It's as much of a waste of time as giving someone a ticket for jaywalking. It's just a waste of time to even write the ticket.

Do I personally curse often? No, not really...If someone else wants to do so I'm not going to stop them. As far as kids hearing this...They hear far worse at school from their friends as well as what they see on TV and in movies. There are bigger things to worry about than curse words coming out of someone's mouth.

grahampaw
08-13-2008, 11:38 AM
Just another cop throwing his weight around.Did he not have better things to do in a hurricane?How many times have you watched cops and they catch someone and tell him get on the bleeping ground!Is this breaking the law?If this had been a oversized man instead of a little lady he would probably just walked away.

Necks_Fan
08-13-2008, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by grahampaw
Just another cop throwing his weight around.Did he not have better things to do in a hurricane?How many times have you watched cops and they catch someone and tell him get on the bleeping ground!Is this breaking the law?If this had been a oversized man instead of a little lady he would probably just walked away. :iagree:

Ranger Mom
08-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
What's bad is the fact that she was saying it to her mother in front of her daughter! As old as I am- I still would never think of saying something like that in front of my mother and never in front of my child.
She deserved the ticket and I hope it came with a huge fine attached!

I am almost positive it will be dropped in the end.

I have found it amazing how many parents talk like that in front of their kids ALL the time. It doesn't surprise me she said that to her mother, that is probably where she learned it from!!!

Lion_Addict
08-13-2008, 12:20 PM
§ 42.01. DISORDERLY CONDUCT. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly:
(1) uses abusive, indecent, profane, or vulgar
language in a public place, and the language by its very utterance tends to incite an immediate breach of the peace.

Art. 14.01. OFFENSE WITHIN VIEW. (a) A peace officer or any
other person, may, without a warrant, arrest an offender when the offense is committed in his presence or within his view, if the
offense is one classed as a felony or as an offense against the
public peace.

Highschoolfan78
08-13-2008, 12:29 PM
There's a whole lot of irony here...a peace officer caused so much chaos.. hmmmm... haha..

On a serious note, you can press charges against someone if they are using obscenities and it offends you..For example, if someone is in a booth next to you in a resturaunt and they are using foul language.. You can attempt to press charges... However, the way the law is written makes this a difficult process.

Phantom Stang
08-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Lion_Addict
§ 42.01. DISORDERLY CONDUCT. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly:
language in a public place, and the language by its very utterance tends to incite an immediate breach of the peace.

other person, may, without a warrant, arrest an offender when the offense is committed in his presence or within his view, if the
public peace.
Thank you Deputy Fife!:p
I think tone and volume of voice should be considered when enforcing a law against disorderly conduct.

Lion_Addict
08-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
Thank you Deputy Fife!:p
I think tone and volume of voice should be considered when enforcing a law against disorderly conduct.

Quite welcome "Goober"! :p . And in some cases it is just that.....considered ;)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
08-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Read the story...Both people wasted their time. If you don't like my opinion then IGNORE it and grow up.

I agree with you 100%. This is more or less someone just wanting to throw their weight around so they can sound official. When there are real crimes going on all there is time to worry about is giving someone a citation for cussing in public. There was impending severe weather and all that the fire marshal could worry about was someone saying something at the spur of the moment.

Keith7
08-13-2008, 12:49 PM
I had a friend get a profanity ticket for cussing in high school

rockdale80
08-13-2008, 12:51 PM

public peace.

uses abusive, indecent, profane, or vulgar
language in a public place, AND the language by its very utterance tends to incite an immediate breach of the peace.

I thought it HAD to incite an immediate breach of the peace for it to be a criminal offense.

CHS_89
08-13-2008, 12:54 PM
I was at Six Flags a couple weeks ago and the f-bomb was a very common word used by some people in normal conversation in the ride lines. There was a man behind me in line that told them to watch their mouths and it didn't phase them, just intensified it, almost to the point of an altercation between the two parties.

Phantom Stang
08-13-2008, 12:57 PM
Quite welcome "Goober"! :p . And in some cases it is just that.....considered ;)
Well Shazam!!:D
It looks like I'm going to have to be more careful at HS football games. Sometimes when something unexpected doesn't go my teams way, I've been known to holler "SHOOT" with an "I" before I can stop myself!!:doh:

ssgmp5150
08-13-2008, 01:01 PM
I agree that the cop was "throwing" his weight around and being anal retentive! I have been in law enforcement now for over 20 years and that is ridiculous, especially considering they were peparing for a hurricane to make landfall!!!!! I hate cops like that! They give all of us in law enforcement that will give someone the benefit of the doubt and a little respect a bad rep! His problem is that he has forgotten where he came from. I could see if the lady was dropping the f bomb left and right and causing a disturbance, but she threw out an expletive in frustration in a public place and next thing you know you are getting a ticket! Wow!!!!!!! Get a life!!!! You definately have better things to do than issue ridiculous citations for something like that! Go patrol the housing areas and businesses to protect them from potential looters with the impending hurricane coming! I am sure you might use a few explatives in a public place chasing some of those hoodlums around town!

Lion_Addict
08-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by ssgmp5150
I agree that the cop was "throwing" his weight around and being anal retentive! I have been in law enforcement now for over 20 years and that is ridiculous, especially considering they were peparing for a hurricane to make landfall!!!!! I hate cops like that! They give all of us in law enforcement that will give someone the benefit of the doubt and a little respect a bad rep! His problem is that he has forgotten where he came from. I could see if the lady was dropping the f bomb left and right and causing a disturbance, but she threw out an expletive in frustration in a public place and next thing you know you are getting a ticket! Wow!!!!!!! Get a life!!!! You definately have better things to do than issue ridiculous citations for something like that! Go patrol the housing areas and businesses to protect them from potential looters with the impending hurricane coming! I am sure you might use a few explatives in a public place chasing some of those hoodlums around town!

:2thumbsup :clap:

Phantom Stang
08-13-2008, 01:14 PM
I agree that the cop was "throwing" his weight around and being anal retentive!
I was expecting a "but" to come after this statement, but you went on to tell it like it is.

Well said!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Ranger Mom
08-13-2008, 01:28 PM

AMEN!!:clap:

AP Panther Fan
08-13-2008, 02:06 PM

woo hoo....I like you!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Old Tiger
08-13-2008, 02:15 PM
I cus where I want when I want and how I want....

And to think we get mad at China for being a communist country

Ranger Mom
08-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
I cus where I want when I want and how I want....

Whatever......I have been in the chat with you too many times and KNOW better than that!!:p

Old Tiger
08-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Whatever......I have been in the chat with you too many times and KNOW better than that!!:p well except in front of a gorgeous young lady ;)

bobcat1
08-14-2008, 06:25 AM
Typical........ Rules don't apply to me attitude. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

JR2004
08-14-2008, 06:46 AM

The voice of reason and personal experience! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

JR2004
08-14-2008, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I agree with you 100%. This is more or less someone just wanting to throw their weight around so they can sound official. When there are real crimes going on all there is time to worry about is giving someone a citation for cussing in public. There was impending severe weather and all that the fire marshal could worry about was someone saying something at the spur of the moment.

So true. It just seems so ridiculous. I'd imagine the woman was pretty stressed out with an impending storm coming through. Just poor, poor judgment to hand out the ticket. The officer comes across to me, and I'm sure many others, just as you described him. There's so many other things that are far more important in a situation like that than someone uttering a curse word.

navscanmaster
08-14-2008, 02:27 PM
Don't cuss in public and especially don't cuss in front of your children. I would accept the ticket if it was given to me. If I were in the fire marshal's position, I would have rather had the local police come by to issue a citation, since DOC ordinances are not really in my area of concentrated jurisdiction. Besides, when it is you as the officer that witnessed the incident, and there are additional obscenities directed toward you, further handling of the incident by yourself will only escalate the situation.

Bottom line: It is written in black and white on text, and put in there by officials we all elected. It is the law of our Great State. Do you all just want to live in a state where people can be obscene and rude to anyone without consequence? I wish officers would "sweat the small stuff" more these days.

And that is my personal opinion. Don't bother flaming me, it will get you nowhere.

ronwx5x
08-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
Don't cuss in public and especially don't cuss in front of your children. I would accept the ticket if it was given to me. If I were in the fire marshal's position, I would have rather had the local police come by to issue a citation, since DOC ordinances are not really in my area of concentrated jurisdiction. Besides, when it is you as the officer that witnessed the incident, and there are additional obscenities directed toward you, further handling of the incident by yourself will only escalate the situation.

Bottom line: It is written in black and white on text, and put in there by officials we all elected. It is the law of our Great State. Do you all just want to live in a state where people can be obscene and rude to anyone without consequence? I wish officers would "sweat the small stuff" more these days.

And that is my personal opinion. Don't bother flaming me, it will get you nowhere.

You said it better than I did. Society is all about being civil and civilized to one another.

..................................:iagree: :ditto:...............................

kaorder1999
08-14-2008, 02:38 PM
my opinion...just dont cuss in public around people that might be offended...

Ranger Mom
08-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
my opinion...just dont cuss in public around people that might be offended...

I said the "S" word in front of Greenwood's Methodist preacher at a football game between Greenwood and Sweetwater in 2003.....I was so embarrassed! It just slipped out before I could stop it!!!

I apologized and he just laughed and said, "that's okay, you just vocalized exactly what I was thinking!!"

GreenMonster
08-14-2008, 07:03 PM
he identified himself

He identified himself as a fireman. I would have told him to mind his own (expletive) business too. Since when do we give firemen cuffs and guns. I don't care that he is a certified peace officer, he should have politely asked her watch her mouth because it was offensive and let it go at that. Sometimes some of those guys with guns are a little overzealous, it's a power thing. Deny if you want coppers, but we all know it happens. It happens everywhere, in all walks of life. I certainly don't want to single out the police, I just want everyone to remember that we are all human and humans err. Abuse of power is a reality. Now, did this guy abuse his power, probably not when you look at the whole picture. He certainly could have handled it better. Just because he is a "certified" peace officer in the State of Texas doesn't mean he acted professionally. That's why we should leave the cuffs, guns, and ticket books to the police. They are the ones trained to handle these situations. Firemen are trained to handle (prevent, fight, investigate) fires and administer first aid, not issue citations to obviously stressed citizens for cussing in public.

navscanmaster
08-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
He identified himself as a fireman. I would have told him to mind his own (expletive) business too. Since when do we give firemen cuffs and guns. I don't care that he is a certified peace officer, he should have politely asked her watch her mouth because it was offensive and let it go at that. Sometimes some of those guys with guns are a little overzealous, it's a power thing. Deny if you want coppers, but we all know it happens. It happens everywhere, in all walks of life. I certainly don't want to single out the police, I just want everyone to remember that we are all human and humans err. Abuse of power is a reality. Now, did this guy abuse his power, probably not when you look at the whole picture. He certainly could have handled it better. Just because he is a "certified" peace officer in the State of Texas doesn't mean he acted professionally. That's why we should leave the cuffs, guns, and ticket books to the police. They are the ones trained to handle these situations. Firemen are trained to handle (prevent, fight, investigate) fires and administer first aid, not issue citations to obviously stressed citizens for cussing in public.

True. That is why I felt he should have called the locals to handle the citation. However, fire marshals that are certified peace officers will also work side jobs and sometimes patrol to help the locals. My dad was a state fire marshal for a long time. He investigated, detained, and questioned, and helped the locals if needed. Why do people that have run ins with law enforcement always say that the cops are bullying or power tripping? They are an authority figure, and people everyday challenge their authority by doing or saying things that, IMO, make them have to remind the offenders who is in charge. They are just like anybody else, I agree. If you come up to a football coach and tell him he can't run a trap because he is doing it wrong, he is going to get defensive and want to know just who you think you are telling him how to do his job. But people always want to go for the cop's jugular no matter what he/she does.

I know I quoted you GM, but everything beyond the fire marshal response is intended for anybody it applies to.

ssgmp5150
08-15-2008, 09:21 AM
Dude, there was a freaking hurricane about to make landfall! Law enforcement personnel are not supposed to be antagonized by profane language. I hope he did not list himself as the victim in this case or it will be thrown out immediately. Seriously people, a dang hurricane was approaching. Give me a break! I know he is a certified peace officer, but he was flexing his authoritative muscles and allowed himself to be antagonized and simply copped an attitude and got pissed off! He should have risen above that and got back to work instead of making a mountain out of a molehill! This must have been some podunk area, because where I am from you are way too busy to deal with something like that! I seriously doubt that the DA will prosecute this nonsense, and if so, I don't forsee a judge or jury convicting this lady of disorderly conduct! I have heard worse language on television! I am in law enforcement and I am here to tell you first hand that there are individuals in this profession that abuse their power and are ate up with the power trips. It is almost intoxicating to them and to those people (you know who you are) give all of us everday beat officer's a bad rep hence the pre-conceived attitudes we must deal with from citizens daily as a result of your abusive power trips! With the impending hurricane approaching, I am quite sure he had plenty of other things he could have been doing!

True. That is why I felt he should have called the locals to handle the citation. However, fire marshals that are certified peace officers will also work side jobs and sometimes patrol to help the locals. My dad was a state fire marshal for a long time. He investigated, detained, and questioned, and helped the locals if needed. Why do people that have run ins with law enforcement always say that the cops are bullying or power tripping? They are an authority figure, and people everyday challenge their authority by doing or saying things that, IMO, make them have to remind the offenders who is in charge. They are just like anybody else, I agree. If you come up to a football coach and tell him he can't run a trap because he is doing it wrong, he is going to get defensive and want to know just who you think you are telling him how to do his job. But people always want to go for the cop's jugular no matter what he/she does.

I know I quoted you GM, but everything beyond the fire marshal response is intended for anybody it applies to.

Farmersfan
08-15-2008, 10:06 AM
FINALLY!!!! Someone who doesn't sound like a liberal nutbar. We all have some issues with the problems that exist in our society right now. Almost without fail these issues can be tracked back to people with attitudeslike the ones that have been on display in this forum. Attitudes of anti-law enforcement. Attitudes of "it wasn't that important". Attitudes of "it could have been done different". When what we should be saying is that this woman made a mistake and then compounded it with followup mistakes. The officer involved in this situation was the type of person who would "throw his weight around" because the qualifications for law enforcement officers has been lowered to the point that these unqualified people can be hired to do the job. If you are going to question at every turn the people who are hired to enforce your laws then you will have only people who require questioning at every turn trying to enforce your laws...... We should ALL be applauding this officer for at least trying to enforce the law instead of blaming him for poor judgement.............

rockdale80
08-15-2008, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
FINALLY!!!! Someone who doesn't sound like a liberal nutbar. We all have some issues with the problems that exist in our society right now. Almost without fail these issues can be tracked back to people with attitudeslike the ones that have been on display in this forum. Attitudes of anti-law enforcement. Attitudes of "it wasn't that important". Attitudes of "it could have been done different". When what we should be saying is that this woman made a mistake and then compounded it with followup mistakes. The officer involved in this situation was the type of person who would "throw his weight around" because the qualifications for law enforcement officers has been lowered to the point that these unqualified people can be hired to do the job. If you are going to question at every turn the people who are hired to enforce your laws then you will have only people who require questioning at every turn trying to enforce your laws...... We should ALL be applauding this officer for at least trying to enforce the law instead of blaming him for poor judgement.............

Liberal nutbar? Ok DB....

:rolleyes:

Did you read the law above? What was the immediate breach of peace? Did a riot ensue? Give me a break.

DDBooger
08-15-2008, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Liberal nutbar? Ok DB....

:rolleyes:

Did you read the law above? What was the immediate breach of peace? Did a riot ensue? Give me a break. lol why bother! some people only tune in to one channel their whole life!

as far as the thread goes...personally I hate it when im in public and listen to some piece of garbage curse needlessly...dropping one F-bomb on occasion or slip up, well thats just human nature for most of us, not the saints of course!(Saints fans maybe) :)

rockdale80
08-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
lol why bother! some people only tune in to one channel their whole life!

as far as the thread goes...personally I hate it when im in public and listen to some piece of garbage curse needlessly...dropping one F-bomb on occasion or slip up, well thats just human nature for most of us, not the saints of course! :)

True. I curse, but I try to keep it to a minimum.

Farmersfan
08-15-2008, 10:26 AM
So if someone in public asks you to stop cussing you tell them to mind their own (expletive) business?????? Do you also smoke in Wal-Mart and tell people who complain to go jump in the lake? How about taking your pants off and walking around naked and daring others to disrespect your decision? You might think you have the ability to live like a Neanderthal in public but we have laws in this society and those laws protect me from you....................And that includes me not having to listen to your profanity. (regardless of the excuses).

Originally posted by GreenMonster

DDBooger
08-15-2008, 10:32 AM
So if someone in public asks you to stop cussing you tell them to mind their own (expletive) business?????? Do you also smoke in Wal-Mart and tell people who complain to go jump in the lake? How about taking your pants off and walking around naked and daring others to disrespect your decision? You might think you have the ability to live like a Neanderthal in public but we have laws in this society and those laws protect me from you....................And that includes me not having to listen to your profanity. (regardless of the excuses). you are obviously one of those people who wake up saying "what can I be mad about today! Who can I let OFFEND me today!" lmao people curse, so be it, I've heard coaches do it, teachers, professors, bosses, co-workers, friends, roomates and complete strangers. Their is a level that I believe we can say, oh well, the guy slipped an then their are the people who are just downright rude and a nuisance, perhaps thats the only place I can see you have a point, otherwise If i slipped and cursed once and you got in my face about it, good chance im cursing twice! lol cheer up, the world isn't that bad! ;)

CHS_89
08-15-2008, 10:32 AM
But FF, a hurricane was coming!!! LOL! Living like a "Neanderthal in public". Now that's funny right there!

rockdale80
08-15-2008, 10:37 AM
So if someone in public asks you to stop cussing you tell them to mind their own (expletive) business?????? Do you also smoke in Wal-Mart and tell people who complain to go jump in the lake? How about taking your pants off and walking around naked and daring others to disrespect your decision? You might think you have the ability to live like a Neanderthal in public but we have laws in this society and those laws protect me from you....................And that includes me not having to listen to your profanity. (regardless of the excuses).

So you are saying that every time someone says one curse word in public they should be fined? Do you have any idea how lame that sounds? Is there a difference in saying one cuss word and several and causing a scene?

Farmersfan
08-15-2008, 10:37 AM
Sorry for the over-zealous posting on this issue. It kinda hits home for me also because I am in enforcement also. (though not police work). I know how police officers are being micro-managed and scrutinized at every turn because we have created an environment of everyone being "entitled". We don't care that someone broke the law-only that a officer didn't handle it the way we think he should.
Anyway, sorry for the liberal nutbar remark. It was out of line.

DDBooger
08-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Sorry for the over-zealous posting on this issue. It kinda hits home for me also because I am in enforcement also. (though not police work). I know how police officers are being micro-managed and scrutinized at every turn because we have created an environment of everyone being "entitled". We don't care that someone broke the law-only that a officer didn't handle it the way we think he should.
Anyway, sorry for the liberal nutbar remark. It was out of line. not out of line, just over generalized to people with different opinions...last two times i've been pulled over I've got warnings! no anger towards police here! :) haha Do I think police abuse power, certainly, but not all of them and on occasions, I can even understand when dealing with some people. Probably why Police should be mentally stable, naturally you'll be more heavily scrutinized if you are enforcing our laws. Their job is thankless, but I notice!

rockdale80
08-15-2008, 10:55 AM
Anyway, sorry for the liberal nutbar remark. It was out of line.

No worries. I didnt say I have a problem with cops in general. I was only stating my disagreement with the law and issuance of citation. I think some cops do have a power trip, but I realize they have a job to do and I am sure it is frustrating sometimes. I realize sometimes they are just having a bad day. I appreciate what they do, but I do not agree with getting a ticket for saying a cuss word. I think it was a fire marshal being over zealous and turning a small situation into an ordeal.

Farmersfan
08-15-2008, 10:57 AM
My remark was not so much geared towards this event as it was towards everyone's reaction to it. I don't agree with the mindset that we automatically question the motives of the officer involved in this. We all have ideas of how it should have been handled or what could have been done different but the bottom line is this is how the officer chose to handle it. As long as he is within the law when he did what he did then we don't have the right to question him about it. Now if the officer acts outside of the law then we all have a responsibilty to do so.
And your assumption that the world isn't that bad is a matter of who's point of view you are looking from. If you want a ineffective police force, under acheiving educational system, and a Liberal government that is the joke of the free world then you have nothing to complain about................... And it is only gonna get worst.

you are obviously one of those people who wake up saying "what can I be mad about today! Who can I let OFFEND me today!" lmao people curse, so be it, I've heard coaches do it, teachers, professors, bosses, co-workers, friends, roomates and complete strangers. Their is a level that I believe we can say, oh well, the guy slipped an then their are the people who are just downright rude and a nuisance, perhaps thats the only place I can see you have a point, otherwise If i slipped and cursed once and you got in my face about it, good chance im cursing twice! lol cheer up, the world isn't that bad! ;)

DDBooger
08-15-2008, 10:59 AM

And your assumption that the world isn't that bad is a matter of who's point of view you are looking from. If you want a ineffective police force, under acheiving educational system, and a Liberal government that is the joke of the free world then you have nothing to complain about................... And it is only gonna get worst.
lol don't need to say anything, this alone speaks to the mindset of the individual! careful down that corridor in your brain, its getting narrow! ;)

Ranger Mom
08-15-2008, 11:03 AM
If i slipped and cursed once and you got in my face about it, good chance im cursing twice! lol cheer up, the world isn't that bad! ;)

That sentence made my whole day! I don't know why it cracked me up like it did, but I found it downright hilarious!!:D :D :D

DDBooger
08-15-2008, 11:07 AM
That sentence made my whole day! I don't know why it cracked me up like it did, but I found it downright hilarious!!:D :D :D glad someone woke up today saying, "hey, I won't let this evil world get me down!" ;) have a good one ranger mom!

Farmersfan
08-15-2008, 11:15 AM
That, my friend, is the perfect comeback. No accountability or reasoning applied. Just discredit the statement with one sentence about the person making it. Would you grace us with your insight as to why it was a narrow minded comment?

lol don't need to say anything, this alone speaks to the mindset of the individual! careful down that corridor in your brain, its getting narrow! ;)

rockdale80
08-15-2008, 11:15 AM
My remark was not so much geared towards this event as it was towards everyone's reaction to it. I don't agree with the mindset that we automatically question the motives of the officer involved in this. We all have ideas of how it should have been handled or what could have been done different but the bottom line is this is how the officer chose to handle it. As long as he is within the law when he did what he did then we don't have the right to question him about it. Now if the officer acts outside of the law then we all have a responsibilty to do so.

Liberal government that is the joke of the free world? Where have you been? Did I miss the years since 1994-2006 when the republicans ran congress, or 2000-2006 when the republicans had the presidency and the congress. Come on now.

And the people that the law enforcement are paid to serve and protect do have a right to question the methods used. That is why they are called a public servant. No public, no servant. In my job, if I make a mistake, the people that pay my salary question it. Why should it be different for law enforcement? The taxpayers pay their salary...

think about it

DDBooger
08-15-2008, 11:18 AM
That, my friend, is the perfect comeback. No accountability or reasoning applied. Just discredit the statement with one sentence about the person making it. Would you grace us with your insight as to why it was a narrow minded comment? there is no comeback for people who aren't open to alternative explanations, varying degrees of thought and perhaps the chance that someone may know more or something different then themselves! you make broad statements about people based on disagreement, unshared values and set them in stone. Youth are accused of being overly active an making stupid comments, the same applies to adults and sometimes a comeback isn't required, simply a spotlight and a person to say "SEE!" ;) you stay classy FF

DDBooger
08-15-2008, 11:19 AM

think about it there's your mistake in asking!

Farmersfan
08-15-2008, 11:37 AM
I won't get into a political debate with you. When I said Liberal I wasn't so much pertaining to Democrates only. I use Liberal as a mindset not an affiliation.

As far as the rest of your statement it appears you took it straight out of a Yankee Doodle Dandy handbook. And I agree wtih you 100%. But what you fail to realize is that no "Mistake" was made by this officer. I have no problem with questioning the "public servants" about mistakes. But this discussion was about questioning them about their methods of doing it correctly.
We have elected officials who pass laws and those laws dictate if the public servants are doing it correctly. Not the wishes or whims of one rockdale80. When you join hands with 1 million rockdale80's then you create a unmanagible situation and make it impossible for anything to be accomplished. Because you also have 1million Farmersfans who think the other way. The entire process in paralized by opposition. Our law enforcement in this country is paralized by opposition. Someone, somewhere is going to have to come up with a plan (regardless of what it is) and then execute that plan or we are going to continue to flounder.....
Now I'm off my narrow minded soapbox.......

Liberal government that is the joke of the free world? Where have you been? Did I miss the years since 1994-2006 when the republicans ran congress, or 2000-2006 when the republicans had the presidency and the congress. Come on now.

And the people that the law enforcement are paid to serve and protect do have a right to question the methods used. That is why they are called a public servant. No public, no servant. In my job, if I make a mistake, the people that pay my salary question it. Why should it be different for law enforcement? The taxpayers pay their salary...

think about it

rockdale80
08-15-2008, 12:06 PM
I won't get into a political debate with you. When I said Liberal I wasn't so much pertaining to Democrates only. I use Liberal as a mindset not an affiliation.

As far as the rest of your statement it appears you took it straight out of a Yankee Doodle Dandy handbook. And I agree wtih you 100%. But what you fail to realize is that no "Mistake" was made by this officer. I have no problem with questioning the "public servants" about mistakes. But this discussion was about questioning them about their methods of doing it correctly.
We have elected officials who pass laws and those laws dictate if the public servants are doing it correctly. Not the wishes or whims of one rockdale80. When you join hands with 1 million rockdale80's then you create a unmanagible situation and make it impossible for anything to be accomplished. Because you also have 1million Farmersfans who think the other way. The entire process in paralized by opposition. Our law enforcement in this country is paralized by opposition. Someone, somewhere is going to have to come up with a plan (regardless of what it is) and then execute that plan or we are going to continue to flounder.....
Now I'm off my narrow minded soapbox.......

Was the officer doing them correctly? I do not believe so. He misinterpreted a law and caused a fuss. His actions led more the this being an issue than the usage of a curse word. Can you not see that? Can an officer of the law not have higher expectations in the arena of common sense and understanding?

Necks_Fan
08-15-2008, 12:19 PM
:blahblah: :sleeping:

'yawn'

Farmersfan
08-15-2008, 12:38 PM
What a great response. And I could not have lead you back to my original point more easily even with a leash. You are convinced the officer created the problem even though the woman broke the law. And THAT is the problem. We are not discussing whether the woman should be given anger management classes or guidenance because she broke the law. We are having an arguement because you feel the officer should have ignored the breaking of the law. But the problem with this thinking is that the officer has no idea how far you think he should allow this to go. Does it apply to shoplifting? How about physical assult? Maybe just petty theft? Perhaps you should give the police your phone number so they can call you and get your ruling on each occurance as it happens just in case. It's a ridiculous assumption that a law enforcement officer can use judgement when you claim to have the ability to question that judgement. That makes him subjected to far too many peoples opinions. And we are right back to the beginning. The law dictates. Not the individual.
It's been a fun debate but I think others are growing tired of it. Take care.....

Was the officer doing them correctly? I do not believe so. He misinterpreted a law and caused a fuss. His actions led more the this being an issue than the usage of a curse word. Can you not see that? Can an officer of the law not have higher expectations in the arena of common sense and understanding?

ronwx5x
08-15-2008, 12:40 PM

Perhaps the real questions should be:
1. Is there a law/ordinance declaring that it is illegal to utter obscenities in public?
2. If so, are the words that are considered obscene defined?
3. Do peace officers have a responsibility to enforce the law/ordinance if he witnesses the infraction?
4. Did the person in question utter an illegal obscenity in public?

The only things left are did the peace officer violate a law/ordinance in enforcing the infraction in question? If so, criticise the officer and enforce the law/ordinance he violated. If not, and you don't agree with the law/ordinance, work to have it changed or repealed. Don't criticise the peace officer for legitimately enforcing a legitimate law/ordinance.

What am I missing here? Is a peace officer only required to enfore what he thinks is fair? How did the peace officer "msiinterpret a law and cause a fuss"? I thought the woman caused the fuss?

Farmersfan
08-15-2008, 12:53 PM
I couldn't have said it better myself........

1. Is there a law/ordinance declaring that it is illegal to utter obscenities in public?
3. Do peace officers have a responsibility to enforce the law/ordinance if he witnesses the infraction?

The only things left are did the peace officer violate a law/ordinance in enforcing the infraction in question? If so, criticise the officer and enforce the law/ordinance he violated. If not, and you don't agree with the law/ordinance, work to have it changed or repealed. Don't criticise the peace officer for legitimately enforcing a legitimate law/ordinance.

What am I missing here? Is a peace officer only required to enfore what he thinks is fair? How did the peace officer "msiinterpret a law and cause a fuss"? I thought the woman caused the fuss?

ssgmp5150
08-15-2008, 12:56 PM
All of you guys are missing the point here and are being incredibly anal! The bottom line is that she uttered a profane word in public, which is a class C misdemeanor. The same goes for a speeding ticket, but which one would you want enforced? The high accident area due to speeders that causes your insurance rates to go up or someone, who in frustration during a pending hurricane, uttered a profane word in public? Peace officer's issue warnings for speeding all the time. The same judgment could have been afforded in this instance and quickly returned to handling his duties as a fire marshal for the impending hurricane. Better judgment and discretion could have been used by the fire marshal! I personally cuss like a sailor and I am in law enforcement. I highly doubt that fire marshal is a saint! I am sure he has uttered a few profane words in his lifetime! That is hypocritical on his part in my opinion. A verbal warning would have went a long way verses writing a ridiculous citation! Just my opinion! There are way too many power trippers in law enforcement that would write their own mother a ticket! Apply an ounce of common sense and understanding when dealing with the public. The golden rule applies here: Treat others as you would want to be treated and exercise a more humanistic approach when dealing with the public instead of enforcing the law with an iron clad fist!

ronwx5x
08-15-2008, 01:03 PM
All of you guys are missing the point here and are being incredibly anal! The bottom line is that she uttered a profane word in public, which is a class C misdemeanor. The same goes for a speeding ticket, but which one would you want enforced? The high accident area due to speeders that causes your insurance rates to go up or someone, who in frustration during a pending hurricane, uttered a profane word in public? Peace officer's issue warnings for speeding all the time. The same judgment could have been afforded in this instance and quickly returned to handling his duties as a fire marshal for the impending hurricane. Better judgment and discretion could have been used by the fire marshal! I personally cuss like a sailor and I am in law enforcement. I highly doubt that fire marshal is a saint! I am sure he has uttered a few profane words in his lifetime! That is hypocritical on his part in my opinion. A verbal warning would have went a long way verses writing a ridiculous citation! Just my opinion! There are way too many power trippers in law enforcement that would write their own mother a ticket! Apply an ounce of common sense and understanding when dealing with the public. The golden rule applies here: Treat others as you would want to be treated and exercise a more humanistic approach when dealing with the public instead of enforcing the law with an iron clad fist!

No, you are missing the point. The peace officer never issued any citation until after they were outside. He issued a citation because when he tried to ask the woman, while still inside the store, to cease cursing, she blew up by her own admission.

If a peace officer stopped a violator intending to write a warning, and was immediately cursed, do you think he might change his/her mind and write up a citation instead?

nobogey72
08-15-2008, 01:07 PM

So, if it is written in black and white and it is to be upheld strictly, why aren't coaches on the sidelines on Sunday afternoons that anyone can lip read can tell what they are saying, issued citations on the spot. The "written in black and white" arguement doesn't hold up with me. I think it is enforced when they feel like enforcing it. Just my opinion.

rockdale80
08-15-2008, 01:14 PM

Read the letter of the law. The big part of this law is the "AND the language by its very utterance tends to incite an immediate breach of peace"? How did her language breach the peace? Did it cause panic? A riot? Why not cite every actor on tv a citation for using profanity? A coach? Athlete?

Common sense would dictate that upholding this law for every utterance of a curse word would be impossible and a common sense approach would have been the best method.

espn1
08-15-2008, 01:27 PM

Read the letter of the law. The big part of this law is the "AND the language by its very utterance tends to incite an immediate breach of peace"? How did her language breach the peace? Did it cause panic? A riot? Why not cite every actor on tv a citation for using profanity? A coach? Athlete?

Common sense would dictate that upholding this law for every utterance of a curse word would be impossible and a common sense approach would have been the best method. .

ssgmp5150
08-15-2008, 01:28 PM
He should have never allowed it to get to that point. Personally, I would not have even uttered a word to her and kept on about my business. I can read between the lines and realized he more than likely escalated the situation with his demeanor and talk, which caused her to curse worse and next thing you know they were both outside and he was ticked off by now and wrote her a citation. If he were to have said something to her, it should have simply been a request to quiet down some and go about her business! Just because a law is written in black and white does not mean we must enforce it each and every time a violation occurs! It is called discretion and understanding, something some citizens and officer's alike lack immensely! Was the officer in the right, yes! Did this situation require enforcement? In my 20 year law enforcement professional opinion, No! I do understand what you are saying and under normal circumstances I suppose the fire marshal had every right to change his mind and issue a citation, but a hurricane was about to make landfall. Therefore, by taking the time to issue her a citation under those circumstances, it merely confirms my opinion that he was a typical robo-cop on a power trip which burns me up to no end. They give every honest beat cop, with an ounce of common sense and discretion, a bad name!

QUOTE]Originally posted by ronwx5x
No, you are missing the point. The peace officer never issued any citation until after they were outside. He issued a citation because when he tried to ask the woman, while still inside the store, to cease cursing, she blew up by her own admission.

If a peace officer stopped a violator intending to write a warning, and was immediately cursed, do you think he might change his/her mind and write up a citation instead? [/QUOTE]

navscanmaster
08-15-2008, 01:32 PM

Common sense would dictate that upholding this law for every utterance of a curse word would be impossible and a common sense approach would have been the best method.

Remember, in the article, it said that she blew up at the officer and that people were standing around wondering if he was going to do something about it. Officers arrest thugs in the projects and drunks at frat parties every day for DOC language (not limited to just the above two parties though). When a person uses foul language in a public place with others present, the officer CAN make the arrest or write the class C ticket for DOC language. It is up to the municipal judge whether or not he will do anything with the charge.

I don't think we are going anywhere constructive with this debate. We are all here to love football and discuss high school sports, and nothing we say to each other will change our personal opinions. I respect every persons opinion so long as it is not grossly misguided or hateful. Nobody I have talked to here fits that mold, so I say, good day to you folks. It has been fun to say the least!

ssgmp5150
08-15-2008, 01:35 PM
Remember, in the article, it said that she blew up at the officer and that people were standing around wondering if he was going to do something about it. Officers arrest thugs in the projects and drunks at frat parties every day for DOC language (not limited to just the above two parties though). When a person uses foul language in a public place with others present, the officer CAN make the arrest or write the class C ticket for DOC language. It is up to the municipal judge whether or not he will do anything with the charge.

I don't think we are going anywhere constructive with this debate. We are all here to love football and discuss high school sports, and nothing we say to each other will change our personal opinions. I respect every persons opinion so long as it is not grossly misguided or hateful. Nobody I have talked to here fits that mold, so I say, good day to you folks. It has been fun to say the least!

:clap: Amen to that!!! This is a football website and I have let myself get caught up in some nonsense. Let's drop this and get back to jawjacking about football!!!:doh:

Pick6
08-15-2008, 01:40 PM
:clap: Amen to that!!! This is a football website and I have let myself get caught up in some nonsense. Let's drop this and get back to jawjacking about football!!!:doh:

D II champ will not be a team from north of I-20. :thinking:

ronwx5x
08-15-2008, 01:44 PM
At least in football there is a final score to determine the winner!

Anybody's favorite FOOTBALL team playing in a couple of weeks?

ssgmp5150
08-15-2008, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
D II champ will not be a team from north of I-20. :thinking:

:thinking: I think a little team called Farmersville might have something to say about that...;)

Pick6
08-15-2008, 01:48 PM
:thinking: I think a little team called Farmersville might have something to say about that...;)

Farmersville? They won't even get to the semi-finals.

ssgmp5150
08-15-2008, 01:54 PM
Farmersville? They won't even get to the semi-finals.

:hand: That's funny right there! I suppose we will just have to wait and see....I think we will be a pretty darn tough team to beat. At that round of the playoff's I will say it is anybody's game and I am not promising anything, but I am confident we will be right in the middle of the mix there!

Pick6
08-15-2008, 02:01 PM
:hand: That's funny right there! I suppose we will just have to wait and see....I think we will be a pretty darn tough team to beat. At that round of the playoff's I will say it is anybody's game and I am not promising anything, but I am confident we will be right in the middle of the mix there!

3 rounds deep at the most. 3 rounds will be respectable for Farmersville.

ronwx5x
08-15-2008, 02:05 PM

Yeah!. Farmersville is really a 2A team hiding out in 3A.

:stirpot: :taunt: :wave:

BleedOrange
08-15-2008, 02:08 PM

We'll see how much we hear after a Week 1 loss to Prosper.

Necks_Fan
08-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by BleedOrange
We'll see how much we hear after a Week 1 loss to Prosper. From what I have heard Prosper is supposed to be pretty good. Although, I think Farmersville beats them.

ronwx5x
08-15-2008, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
From what I have heard Prosper is supposed to be pretty good. Although, I think Farmersville beats them.

According to the Pig, Prosper is a two point favorite, but the game is in Farmersville. Maybe Prosper doesn't travel well and will be worn out from that 30 minute commute to the game.

BleedOrange
08-15-2008, 02:40 PM
According to the Pig, Prosper is a two point favorite, but the game is in Farmersville. Maybe Prosper doesn't travel well and will be worn out from that 30 minute commute to the game.

I hope Farmersville beats them by 50 but I don't think it will happen.

Pick6
08-15-2008, 02:44 PM

Where is the Prosper/Celina game at this year? Any chances that Prosper warms up on their home field again before they travel to Celina for the game?

Necks_Fan
08-15-2008, 02:46 PM
:hijacktd:

ronwx5x
08-15-2008, 02:47 PM
Where is the Prosper/Celina game at this year? Any chances that Prosper warms up on their home field again before they travel to Celina for the game?

At Prosper. Must be a huge homefield advantage that far away from Celina. Maybe need to look for neutral turf closer to home?

Ranger Mom
08-15-2008, 03:57 PM
What is the $*#)% is going on here? This %*#( thread was supposed to be about %&#&@ cussing! I'm so %&#&%$ sick of these @(#$&*# threads being hijacked all the $(%*# time!!:D

Farmersfan
08-15-2008, 03:58 PM
I think you miss the whole point of the discussion SS. This is a discussion more about the public sentiment about law enforcement than it is about this particular event. It least it was for me. If you have been in law enforcement for 20 years then you too have seen the quality of the new officers going downhill pretty fast. That's what I was addressing. Too much public interference and misplaced concern has created a undesirable condition that keeps a lot of good qualified individuals from pursueing a career in this field. Who wants to be scrutinized 24 hours a day and perhaps someday getting railroaded for doing their job?

espn1
08-15-2008, 04:19 PM
I think you miss the whole point of the discussion SS. This is a discussion more about the public sentiment about law enforcement than it is about this particular event. It least it was for me. If you have been in law enforcement for 20 years then you too have seen the quality of the new officers going downhill pretty fast. That's what I was addressing. Too much public interference and misplaced concern has created a undesirable condition that keeps a lot of good qualified individuals from pursueing a career in this field. Who wants to be scrutinized 24 hours a day and perhaps someday getting railroaded for doing their job? Especially with State and Local Entities being revenue whores! It's a disgrace! It's not about what's right anymore it's about how much money can be taken from the General Public!:mad: :mad: :mad:

scrub c
08-15-2008, 04:22 PM
100th reply

Farmersfan
08-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Well just ask yourself if you would prefer them to be self substaining or do you want them supported with your tax dollar. The money has to come from somewhere.......But I don't like those "revenue whores" either....... They are the worst kind of whores.
Sorry for hijacking the thread folks. I am done.................Let the football begin!!!!!

Originally posted by espn1
Especially with State and Local Entities being revenue whores! It's a disgrace! It's not about what's right anymore it's about how much money can be taken from the General Public!:mad: :mad: :mad:

rockdale80
08-15-2008, 04:41 PM
I think you miss the whole point of the discussion SS. This is a discussion more about the public sentiment about law enforcement than it is about this particular event. It least it was for me. If you have been in law enforcement for 20 years then you too have seen the quality of the new officers going downhill pretty fast. That's what I was addressing. Too much public interference and misplaced concern has created a undesirable condition that keeps a lot of good qualified individuals from pursueing a career in this field. Who wants to be scrutinized 24 hours a day and perhaps someday getting railroaded for doing their job?

Who wants to be scrutinized 24 hours a day? Are you married, in a relationship, or have a job? Come on now.

Law enforcement is not immune to having to answer for their actions as you would like them to be. Too much public interference? If the public was not involved you wouldn't have a pay check. According to you, law enforcement should not have to answer for anything they say or do. :rolleyes:

Pick6
08-15-2008, 04:51 PM
What is the $*#)% is going on here? This %*#( thread was supposed to be about %&#&@ cussing! I'm so %&#&%$ sick of these @(#$&*# threads being hijacked all the $(%*# time!!:D

I think you deserve a ticket for the #$@^# language you just used. Only in this court money isn't what you have to pay the fine with...:D

Farmersfan
08-15-2008, 05:10 PM
If you are scrutinized 24 hours a day by a wife or significant other that might explain some things.
And all "public servants" have bosses and supervisors to be accountable to just like you and I.
But to make a proper comparison you would have to have a stranger walk into your business and tell you that you are doing your job incorrectly. I assume you sell something, make something, do something that requires customers. So in essence these people pay your salary also.................Even though these are public servants they aren't answerable to the general public even though the media would make you believe so. If you doubt this might I recommend you walk into a police station and start giving orders and see how long you are allowed to stay.........

Who wants to be scrutinized 24 hours a day? Are you married, in a relationship, or have a job? Come on now.

Law enforcement is not immune to having to answer for their actions as you would like them to be. Too much public interference? If the public was not involved you wouldn't have a pay check. According to you, law enforcement should not have to answer for anything they say or do. :rolleyes:

GreenMonster
08-15-2008, 05:32 PM
If you are scrutinized 24 hours a day by a wife or significant other that might explain some things.
And all "public servants" have bosses and supervisors to be accountable to just like you and I.
But to make a proper comparison you would have to have a stranger walk into your business and tell you that you are doing your job incorrectly. I assume you sell something, make something, do something that requires customers. So in essence these people pay your salary also.................Even though these are public servants they aren't answerable to the general public even though the media would make you believe so. If you doubt this might I recommend you walk into a police station and start giving orders and see how long you are allowed to stay.........

OK. I'm going to concede that we shouldn't tell this guy how to do his job. I'm going to concede that you are probably a nice guy that has good opinions and strong morals. I'm going to concede that many of us are measuring many, many good law enforcement officers by their few bad apples (everyone has them in all walks of life.) The deal here is somehow this one guy did something to draw attention to himself. Whether you or I believe he was right or wrong, his actions are now out in public for anyone to comment on. The First Amendment of the United States Constitution protects our right to comment on this situation. Now, I'm going to remind everyone that none of us have ever tried to tell this guy how to do his job, but we have all commented on how he did his job and that we either agree or disagree. Can we now move on and let this whole thing wither away into the dusty library shelves of the 3ADownlow.com history?

bobcat1
08-15-2008, 06:21 PM
So true. It just seems so ridiculous. I'd imagine the woman was pretty stressed out with an impending storm coming through. Just poor, poor judgment to hand out the ticket. The officer comes across to me, and I'm sure many others, just as you described him. There's so many other things that are far more important in a situation like that than someone uttering a curse word.

Or smoking crack or a joint, right?

ronwx5x
08-15-2008, 06:40 PM
I was so hoping we had successfully hijacked this thread. Oh well.;) ;)