PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone question

Ranger Mom
08-13-2008, 09:51 AM
My battery on my phone won't hardly keep a charge.

Is it worth it to buy another battery or is it usually something in the phone that won't let the battery charge up??

Has anyone had any experience with this?

pirate4state
08-13-2008, 09:56 AM
I have.

I know what my my problem is & I'm seeking a 12 step program! :D

Your phone isn't very old is it? Do you turn your phone off?

cshscougar08
08-13-2008, 10:08 AM
The more you charge your phone the less the battery will hold a charge. Do you charge it every night regardless of how dead it is? Cause that wears the battery out so that it won't hold a charge. I'd get a new battery.

Emerson1
08-13-2008, 10:12 AM
Just get a new phone because a new batter will be like $50+

cshscougar08
08-13-2008, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Just get a new phone because a new batter will be like $50+

Well depends on the phone. Probably cheaper for a battery in most cases.

BreckTxLonghorn
08-13-2008, 10:21 AM
How long have you had your phone?

If less than a year, it could still be under warranty and you can get the battery replaced for free.

My phone used to not charge at night, but it wasn't the battery's fault; the port in the phone that took the cord was fault and that's what caused a problem.

If you have ATT, call the help line and ask if they have a device repair shop in the area. You can drop it by and they'll assess the problem for free, I think.

Ranger Mom
08-13-2008, 10:27 AM
I lost my brand new phone in a pool at the beginning of summer. I got this one off of ebay, I have no idea how old it is.

Its a KRZR....and I found a battery for $9.95 so I went ahead and ordered it.

I don't charge my phone until it starts beeping, but I am having to charge it all night and then plug it in again at work now!!!

I was told by Sprint that a wall charger will quit charging when the battery is completely charged up, it is the car chargers that keep trying to charge, ultimately draining the life of the battery......is that information not correct??

cshscougar08
08-13-2008, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I was told by Sprint that a wall charger will quit charging when the battery is completely charged up, it is the car chargers that keep trying to charge, ultimately draining the life of the battery......is that information not correct??

No that's correct, but if say your battery is only halfway down and you charge it and you do that a lot, it will drain the life as well. That's what I was saying. It's always best to let your battery die and then charge.

Ranger Mom
08-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
No that's correct, but if say your battery is only halfway down and you charge it and you do that a lot, it will drain the life as well. That's what I was saying. It's always best to let your battery die and then charge.

I try not to let it die all the way.....but normally just charge it when the "low battery" starts flashing!

crzyjournalist03
08-13-2008, 10:34 AM
I lost my brand new phone in a pool at the beginning of summer. I got this one off of ebay, I have no idea how old it is.

Its a KRZR....and I found a battery for $9.95 so I went ahead and ordered it.

I don't charge my phone until it starts beeping, but I am having to charge it all night and then plug it in again at work now!!!

I bought a Razor off of eBay about a year ago and it crapped out. I was told by ATT and the Motorola replacement center that a lot of phones that are on eBay were salvaged from New Orleans during Katrina, so they have internal water damage. If the seller had a lot of phones for sale of the same type, most likely that's what happened.

Go to Motorola.com and see if your phone is covered under the manufacturer's warranty. If it is, take it in to whatever local shop they have assigned to you (that will be listed on the site), and they can usually run some tests while you wait to determine what's wrong with it. A good way to test whether or not it's the battery is to put the battery into someone else's phone and see how it responds. That's how I was able to determine that my phone was messed up.

Ranger Mom
08-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I bought a Razor off of eBay about a year ago and it crapped out. I was told by ATT and the Motorola replacement center that a lot of phones that are on eBay were salvaged from New Orleans during Katrina, so they have internal water damage. If the seller had a lot of phones for sale of the same type, most likely that's what happened.

Go to Motorola.com and see if your phone is covered under the manufacturer's warranty. If it is, take it in to whatever local shop they have assigned to you (that will be listed on the site), and they can usually run some tests while you wait to determine what's wrong with it. A good way to test whether or not it's the battery is to put the battery into someone else's phone and see how it responds. That's how I was able to determine that my phone was messed up.

I don't know anyone else who has a KRZR. It is has worked fine for the past few months, it just recently started losing it's charge.

If I have someone check it out, I will have to drive to Odessa, the Midland repair section shut down!!

crzyjournalist03
08-13-2008, 10:46 AM
I don't know anyone else who has a KRZR. It is has worked fine for the past few months, it just recently started losing it's charge.

If I have someone check it out, I will have to drive to Odessa, the Midland repair section shut down!!

Your story sounds almost identical to what happened with my phone!

Have you checked the phone to see if the color dots have changed, indicating water damage? Behind the batter or somewhere in the back of the phone, there should be a sticker that just looks like a dot. If it's completely white, it should be fine, but if it's pink or discolored in any way, the phone is permanently damaged.

Ranger Mom
08-13-2008, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Your story sounds almost identical to what happened with my phone!

Have you checked the phone to see if the color dots have changed, indicating water damage? Behind the batter or somewhere in the back of the phone, there should be a sticker that just looks like a dot. If it's completely white, it should be fine, but if it's pink or discolored in any way, the phone is permanently damaged.

It's completely white!!

crzyjournalist03
08-13-2008, 10:54 AM
Hopefully it's just a battery then! On my second Razr, the battery went crazy and wasn't lasting more than two hours if it wasn't plugged in. Bought a brand new one for $20, and it worked fine until cold weather cracked the face open in January when I was walking outside with it.

BILLYFRED0000
08-13-2008, 11:19 AM
I try not to let it die all the way.....but normally just charge it when the "low battery" starts flashing!

That is fine but everything has an end of life. :D

Necks_Fan
08-13-2008, 11:34 AM
I have T-mobile and any time I have a problem, I call their help service..... If it's not something that can be fixed over the phone, they send me a brand new phone free of charge. I just pay shipping.

A very good deal. I always get a phone that craps out after about 7-8 months, but they send me a new one for like 7-8$.

Nursebetty
08-13-2008, 11:57 AM
I just got the new LG Voyager a few weeks ago from Verizon. Man is this a cool phone.......it has the touch screen and all. KRZR.....is that a Cingular phone? I'm not to familiar with that one.

Ranger Mom
08-13-2008, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Nursebetty
I just got the new LG Voyager a few weeks ago from Verizon. Man is this a cool phone.......it has the touch screen and all. KRZR.....is that a Cingular phone? I'm not to familiar with that one.

No....it's a slimmer version of the RAZR. It's made by Motorola too....so I am assuming all carriers probably have it.

3afan
08-13-2008, 12:19 PM
i have no clue - all I get is hand-me-down phones but they've all worked and keep charged about a week never being turned off, so I'm happy