PDA

View Full Version : Documentary maker from LA will follow Lufkin Panthers..

mistanice
08-12-2008, 01:04 AM
for the next six months.

LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - As the Lufkin Panthers took the football field for the first day of practice, it looked like a scene from HBO's Hard Knocks with the Dallas Cowboys. A few cameras were around the field, one constantly around coach John Outlaw. The reason? The Lufkin Panthers may be hitting the big screen.

Movie and documentary maker Jamie Patricof is putting his focus on the Lufkin community. Living in Los Angeles, Patricof happened to read the recent New Tork Times article on Lufkin's Jemarkus McFarland. Patricof was amazed by McFarland's success on the field and in the classroom. He decided it would make a great story line for a documentary.

"Basically the goal is to create a documentary about the Lufkin Panthers and the town of Lufkin," Patricof says. "Jamarkus ultimately plays a major role in the film and other characters are other players on the team and Coach Outlaw. People from the town will be a part of it."

Camera crews will be following the Panthers and be around town for the next six months. Patricof says documentaries take time and you never know where your storylines will come from. The filmmaker works for Hunting Lane Films production company. He's released three documentaries at the Sundance Film Festival. He's worked on documentaries for ESPN and VH1. His most well known work was "Confessions of a Superhero."

Patricof says the Lufkin film could be seen in movie theatres or an ESPN documentary. But a lot of work remains before it's a finished product. The next six months will tell the story.

"The goal is to really create a great film about a small town in Texas and looking at that town through it's football team."

Link (http://www.ktre.com/Global/story.asp?S=8825104&nav=menu118_3)

navscanmaster
08-12-2008, 01:40 AM
Cool. Maybe they will be at the Navasota-Henderson game there on the 28th. I figure a lot of the coaches and players will probably be there since Lufkin starts the season the next night in Tyler. I won't say that Lufkin will return to dominance just yet, but they could gain steam and get rolling come playoffs.

rockdale80
08-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by mistanice
for the next six months.

LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - As the Lufkin Panthers took the football field for the first day of practice, it looked like a scene from HBO's Hard Knocks with the Dallas Cowboys. A few cameras were around the field, one constantly around coach John Outlaw. The reason? The Lufkin Panthers may be hitting the big screen.

Movie and documentary maker Jamie Patricof is putting his focus on the Lufkin community. Living in Los Angeles, Patricof happened to read the recent New Tork Times article on Lufkin's Jemarkus McFarland. Patricof was amazed by McFarland's success on the field and in the classroom. He decided it would make a great story line for a documentary.

"Basically the goal is to create a documentary about the Lufkin Panthers and the town of Lufkin," Patricof says. "Jamarkus ultimately plays a major role in the film and other characters are other players on the team and Coach Outlaw. People from the town will be a part of it."

Camera crews will be following the Panthers and be around town for the next six months. Patricof says documentaries take time and you never know where your storylines will come from. The filmmaker works for Hunting Lane Films production company. He's released three documentaries at the Sundance Film Festival. He's worked on documentaries for ESPN and VH1. His most well known work was "Confessions of a Superhero."

Patricof says the Lufkin film could be seen in movie theatres or an ESPN documentary. But a lot of work remains before it's a finished product. The next six months will tell the story.

"The goal is to really create a great film about a small town in Texas and looking at that town through it's football team."

Link (http://www.ktre.com/Global/story.asp?S=8825104&nav=menu118_3)

Lufkin is not huge, but I dont consider it a "small town".

Maroon87
08-12-2008, 11:27 AM
I'm sure they'll find some way to point out how backwards and football-obsessed the town is, complete with gratuitous shots of cattle grazing and beat up pickup trucks.

I hope not, but I'm not very optimistic when it comes to how we as Texans are viewed by Hollyweird, especially in so-called "reality" shows...

mistanice
08-13-2008, 05:14 PM
here is the article on McFarland from NY Times.

NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/30/sports/ncaafootball/30mcfarland.html)

Well some of the schools that are on the top of his list were looking forward to an early commitment from McFarland. With this whole documentary going on and to make things interesting, I'm thinking he won't make a decision until the end.

I'm surprised Coach Outlaw agreed to do this.

HEMOTOXIC
08-13-2008, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I'm sure they'll find some way to point out how backwards and football-obsessed the town is, complete with gratuitous shots of cattle grazing and beat up pickup trucks.

I hope not, but I'm not very optimistic when it comes to how we as Texans are viewed by Hollyweird, especially in so-called "reality" shows...

You're right. I hate how they always throw in the cattle, farms, and really southern speaking actors when depicting Texas. Of course we do have cattle and farms, but to be honest, I have seen more cattle, farms and southern speaking people in Alabama, Mississippi, GA, TN, and KY. Sometimes, I'm like, what the hell... I live in Houston, and I never see cattle. Im from Navasota and even there I just never really saw cattle and farms like they depict in the movies. But hey, thats why we love Texas.. Backwards and all.

navscanmaster
08-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by HEMOTOXIC
You're right. I hate how they always throw in the cattle, farms, and really southern speaking actors when depicting Texas. Of course we do have cattle and farms, but to be honest, I have seen more cattle, farms and southern speaking people in Alabama, Mississippi, GA, TN, and KY. Sometimes, I'm like, what the hell... I live in Houston, and I never see cattle. Im from Navasota and even there I just never really saw cattle and farms like they depict in the movies. But hey, thats why we love Texas.. Backwards and all.

Anybody seen the youtube documentary on 1983 Daingerfield? Good gosh, they pulled the mutants right out of their boondocks basements to comment on the football team for that one. Makes Daingerfield look really, REALLY backwoods!
On another note, I got to meet Goldie Hawn when she was directing that movie "Hope" in Anderson and Navasota back in 96. She was really awesome, and tried to fit in with the locals at every turn.