PDA

View Full Version : Why does MLB bother

injuredinmelee
08-11-2008, 05:02 PM
with a trade dealine? Anyone else see the deal done today between the Reds and D-Backs?

Necks_Fan
08-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Yea, Dunn to the D'Backs....

How does a reg trade go through with the deadline passes.....

I know you can still claim players off of waivers but...... trading?

injuredinmelee
08-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Yea, Dunn to the D'Backs....

How does a reg trade go through with the deadline passes.....

I know you can still claim players off of waivers but...... trading?

its still a trade no matter how the choose to word it.

Necks_Fan
08-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
its still a trade no matter how the choose to word it. I know, and I can't figure out how a trade goes through...... It's stupid...

injuredinmelee
08-11-2008, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
I know, and I can't figure out how a trade goes through...... It's stupid...
has to be a gentlemens agreemennt between Gm or owners not to claim someone off of waivers. If I were the Dodgers I would find a way to block this one.

Daddy D 11
08-11-2008, 05:17 PM
Arizona had to do something after LA landed Manny.

This might make me actually want to stay up and watch a NL West game..

Go Red Sox!

crzyjournalist03
08-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Here's how it works:

Before July 31st (which is the non-waiver trade deadline, NOT just the trade deadline), players can be traded without requesting waivers.

After July 31st, all players must be placed on waivers prior to being traded. If a player goes unclaimed, he can then be traded at any point to any team after he has cleared. If a player is claimed, the team that currently owns the player may trade him ONLY to the team that has won the claim. They can simply give him to the team as a salary dump, or can try to work out a trade within 48 hours of the claim by acquiring players who have already cleared waivers or players who are not currently on a team's 40 man roster.

If not trade is worked out within 48 hours and the owning team elects not to simply release the player to the claiming team, it can revoke the player's waiver and that player must remain on his current team for the rest of the season.

The league does not have an actual trade deadline. Trades may be completed up until the end of the regular season; however, in order for a player to be eligible to be on a team's postseason roster, he must be on that team's active roster before September 1st.

Dunn went to Arizona for three players not on Arizona's 40 man roster. Arizona had claimed Dunn, meaning that the Reds either had to send him to Arizona or keep him on their team for the rest of the year; they couldn't negotiate with any other team for the rest of the year.

I hope that helps clear things up!

Necks_Fan
08-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Here's how it works:

Before July 31st (which is the non-waiver trade deadline, NOT just the trade deadline), players can be traded without requesting waivers.

After July 31st, all players must be placed on waivers prior to being traded. If a player goes unclaimed, he can then be traded at any point to any team after he has cleared. If a player is claimed, the team that currently owns the player may trade him ONLY to the team that has won the claim. They can simply give him to the team as a salary dump, or can try to work out a trade within 48 hours of the claim by acquiring players who have already cleared waivers or players who are not currently on a team's 40 man roster.

If not trade is worked out within 48 hours and the owning team elects not to simply release the player to the claiming team, it can revoke the player's waiver and that player must remain on his current team for the rest of the season.

The league does not have an actual trade deadline. Trades may be completed up until the end of the regular season; however, in order for a player to be eligible to be on a team's postseason roster, he must be on that team's active roster before September 1st.

Dunn went to Arizona for three players not on Arizona's 40 man roster. Arizona had claimed Dunn, meaning that the Reds either had to send him to Arizona or keep him on their team for the rest of the year; they couldn't negotiate with any other team for the rest of the year.

I hope that helps clear things up! So Cincy put him on waivers in hopes that a team would claim him and they could work out a deal, if not, then he remains with Cincy, right?

Zona claims him, within 48 hrs they work ou a deal and he goes..... Zona picks up all the salary?

Astrosdawg07
08-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Bingo...