PDA

View Full Version : Longtime Abilene Native Resigns

Daddy D 11
08-11-2008, 04:20 PM
Driggers steps down as McMurry baseball coach; successor to be named Tuesday
Ben Dobson, SID

ABILENE, Texas -- McMurry athletic director Bill Libby announced Monday morning that baseball coach Lee Driggers has resigned from his post at McMurry to become the head coach at Wheaton College (Ill.).

Driggers will remain the head coach at McMurry until Sept. 1. A successor has been chosen and will be formally announced in a press conference at 10 a.m. tomorrow, Tuesday, Aug. 12.

Under Driggers' guidance, McMurry has become a Division III baseball power since the school brought back baseball in 1996 after a 47-year hiatus. Driggers' record over his 13-year tenure at McMurry is an impressive 350-218-2 (.616 winning percentage). He directed McMurry to an American Southwest Conference-record four conference championships, and was a four-time ASC West Division coach of the year recipient.

"I would like to thank (athletic director Libby) personally, as well as the administration, for the opportunity to serve the McMurry community for the past 13 years," Driggers said. "It has been one of the most rewarding experiences in my educational career. The friendships and relationships fostered here will have a lasting impact on me for the rest of my life."

Since the ASC's first year of baseball in 1997, Driggers guided McMurry to nine postseason tournaments, including appearances in the postseason the last five years. He also coached five all-Americans at McMurry in Joe Fichera, Josh Lee, Derek David, Brent Voorhees and Albert Carrizales.

"Lee Driggers has done an excellent job developing a program, building and maintaining one of the best facilities in Division III, and supporting students in their academic programs," Libby said. "I wish him the best in his new endeavors at Wheaton. Wheaton is getting a great God-fearing man to lead their program."

In his 15 years of coaching collegiate baseball (Driggers spent one year at Tarleton State in 1988 and one year at Hardin-Simmons in 1989), Driggers has tallied a 412-270-2 record (.604 winning percentage).

Driggers also coached Brenham High School to back-to-back state championships in 1986 and 1987, and took Abilene Cooper High School to the state championship game in 1993.

pirate4state
08-11-2008, 04:24 PM
How do you feel about this?

injuredinmelee
08-11-2008, 04:26 PM
who is the replacement? Any rumors?

STANG RED
08-11-2008, 04:27 PM
I wonder how this will affect McMurry? Driggers has recruited lots of pretty good talent over there for several years now. I wonder if some of those boys will look elsewhere now?

Daddy D 11
08-11-2008, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
How do you feel about this?

When he first called me, i didnt know what to think. But when he told me who the successor will be, i felt a whole lot better about the situation. He is one of the winningest DIII coaches in history, but the program is in a really stable position and he told me he wanted the challenge of building another program to the level that McMurry is right now. You have to respect that, i am still really excited to try and defend the conference title.

Daddy D 11
08-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I wonder how this will affect McMurry? Driggers has recruited lots of pretty good talent over there for several years now. I wonder if some of those boys will look elsewhere now?

As of righht now, no one is leaving. Everyone wants another Championship, thats the feel that i got.

pero chato
08-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Just a couple of notes:

1. Brent Voorhees was a Wylie standout player, I think three years on varsity. Kid could hit.

2. Someone correct me on this one, but I think Kerry Wood pitched against Cooper in the state game in '93. One of the Arlington schools?

Daddy D 11
08-11-2008, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by pero chato
Just a couple of notes:

1. Brent Voorhees was a Wylie standout player, I think three years on varsity. Kid could hit.

2. Someone correct me on this one, but I think Kerry Wood pitched against Cooper in the state game in '93. One of the Arlington schools?

Also Cory Davis, from Wylie is at McMurry.

And i dont know about the latter question.

LH Panther Mom
08-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
i am still really excited to try and defend the conference title.
I hope you're able to! :cheerl: :cheerl:

Daddy D 11
08-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I hope you're able to! :cheerl: :cheerl:

me too:devil: :D

injuredinmelee
08-12-2008, 03:06 PM
did they announce the new hire yet?

injuredinmelee
08-12-2008, 03:08 PM
nm just found it.

GreenMonster
08-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by pero chato

2. Someone correct me on this one, but I think Kerry Wood pitched against Cooper in the state game in '93. One of the Arlington schools? Kerry wood was a 1995 graduate of Grand Prairie HS.

VWG
08-13-2008, 08:59 PM
Nobody mentioned that Driggers son, Austin, is going to be a freshman at Wheaton this year. He is attending the school to play football.

Daddy D 11
08-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by VWG
Nobody mentioned that Driggers son, Austin, is going to be a freshman at Wheaton this year. He is attending the school to play football.

I knew that..