PDA

View Full Version : Liberty Hill @ La Grange Scrimmage 8/16

Pudlugger
08-11-2008, 03:41 PM
11 AM for the Varsity. This will be a good one to watch. The Leps will get a great early test in this match up. It will be interesting to see how the Lep Offense runs the spread against this LH defending Championship defense. The Lep defense had a lot of trouble stopping the run against tough teams like Caldwell, Giddings and Navasota. Hopefully this year's defense will fair batter.

Old Tiger
08-11-2008, 03:45 PM
its just a scrimmage so i will remain quiet

LHexPlayer
08-11-2008, 03:52 PM
I too am interested to see what our defense will do against your spread. My early opinion is that we haven't dropped off much if at all from last year.

Runnin Panther
08-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Can't wait. I think it will be a good first test for both teams.

Runnin Panther
08-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by LHexPlayer
I too am interested to see what our defense will do against your spread. My early opinion is that we haven't dropped off much if at all from last year.

I agree, the defense looked good Saturday, but until we go up against a spread team the jury is out.

LHexPlayer
08-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Runnin Panther
I agree, the defense looked good Saturday, but until we go up against a spread team the jury is out.

Yep, it's very tough to get a read on our defense against our offense. Our defensive speed looked just as good as last year.

Old Tiger
08-11-2008, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by LHexPlayer
Yep, it's very tough to get a read on our defense against our offense. Our defensive speed looked just as good as last year. *loosens tie and takes a deep breath*

Runnin Panther
08-11-2008, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
*loosens tie and takes a deep breath*

It's early but I think LHexPlayer could be right. We looked quick on both sides of the ball. Maybe it was just a mirage caused from the intense heat.

Old Tiger
08-11-2008, 04:21 PM
It's early but I think LHexPlayer could be right. We looked quick on both sides of the ball. Maybe it was just a mirage caused from the intense heat. like jesus walking on water?

Daddy D 11
08-11-2008, 04:23 PM
It's early but I think LHexPlayer could be right. We looked quick on both sides of the ball. Maybe it was just a mirage caused from the intense heat.

The defense was also calling everyplay before the offense got to the line of scrimmage:thinking:

Not taking away anything but it will be hard to tell what team we've got until we square up in a hostile enviroment in Abilene against Wylie.

LHexPlayer
08-11-2008, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
The defense was also calling everyplay before the offense got to the line of scrimmage:thinking:

Not taking away anything but it will be hard to tell what team we've got until we square up in a hostile enviroment in Abilene against Wylie.

That's what I mean by it was tough to get a read. Our defense knew every play that was coming. Seemed like Coach Vance cut short the 1's vs. 1's before someone hurt the other side. Not saying the defense would have hurt someone. The offense could have done it too. Both sides were going at it pretty intense. It was fun to watch, but it was obvious that we need to see both sides against someone else.

Runnin Panther
08-11-2008, 04:59 PM

That’s funny, actually they were calling the play after the offense was set, that's why I said it was too early to tell. But again I thought we looked quick on both sides of the ball. I think our running backs are going to be excellent.

Pudlugger
08-11-2008, 06:57 PM
What kind of D will the Panthers run against a spread with the passing attack?

Old Tiger
08-11-2008, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
What kind of D will the Panthers run against a spread with the passing attack? probably the same D they always run....it works

LH Panther Mom
08-11-2008, 08:54 PM
I'm going to guess split-6.

slingshot
08-12-2008, 12:33 AM
...it will be hard to tell what team we've got until we square up in a hostile enviroment in Abilene against Wylie. Now what in world makes you think we will be anything but gracious hosts in Abilene? Hostile? We'll probably just roll out the red carpet and not even bother putting up a fight... ;)

K-MAC Chuck
08-12-2008, 06:39 AM
I've already booked a hotel room for the K-MAC Sports broadcast crew for the Wylie game..I will be there as well.

What fine/good eatery places can you recommend for us in Abilene?

Pudlugger
08-12-2008, 07:01 AM
Will there be many LH fans making the drive to La Grange Saturday? I know when we scrimmage Cuero they always show up in force, even bring noisemakers LOL. Looking forward to seeing the Panthers and my Leps debut Saturday.

LH Panther Mom
08-12-2008, 07:11 AM
Will there be many LH fans making the drive to La Grange Saturday? I know when we scrimmage Cuero they always show up in force, even bring noisemakers LOL. Looking forward to seeing the Panthers and my Leps debut Saturday.
I would expect a decent-size crowd, but not quite as big as a game. They might surprise me, though. I know I'll be there with bells. :D

hookandladder
08-12-2008, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I would expect a decent-size crowd, but not quite as big as a game. They might surprise me, though. I know I'll be there with bells. :D

If you have never been to Leps football field your in for a real treat, I will bet none of your teams will use the visitor's locker room. Now if you see a lot of construction just past the football field that would be the new Baseball and Softball field's. Our new super is making much needed inprovements, I would assume the football field will be the next improvement.

firstcat
08-12-2008, 08:42 AM
Can't wait!
LaGrange was 4-5 overall and 2-3 in District play last season...but they lost pretty big to GIDDINGS, so I am DEFINITELY not worried....(sorry, couldn't resist)....
:devil: :devil:

Runnin Panther
08-12-2008, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by firstcat
Can't wait!
LaGrange was 4-5 overall and 2-3 in District play last season...but they lost pretty big to GIDDINGS, so I am DEFINITELY not worried....(sorry, couldn't resist)....

I hear they are much improved this year.

Pudlugger
08-12-2008, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by firstcat
Can't wait!

That's what is so great about the scrimmage. It isn't about winning, it is about testing your players and system. If it were about winning it would serve little purpose in preparing the team. This early in the season it is necessary to determine who will start and in what positions. It tells the coaches something about what works and what does not. It gives the fans a look at the talent. That's it.

So the Leps are not going in Saturday to try and whip the Panthers. They hope the Panthers bring their best and want to test themselves. If the Panthers score 8 or 9 tds against the Leps then the Leps will have plenty of film to review and adjustments to make early on. That will help them in the season. Smart move to put Cuero and LH on the scrimmage schedule. The Leps will not face any tougher competition the rest of the season and well into the playoffs if they are fortunate to go that far.

firstcat
08-12-2008, 09:12 AM
ok, ok...you're right. Scrimmages are not for the "W"...I guess I'm just so anxious to see our Panthers go against somebody else! I never liked the Inner-Squad Scrimmages....but I won't take back my "dig" at Giddings!:mad::stirpot:

I too have read that the Leps are much improved and looking for their best out in several seasons.

Good luck to them, and here's to no injuries, effective scrimmages, preparatory preseason, successful season, and LIBERTY HILL BEING THE 11TH 3A 3-PEAT IN HISTORY!!!!!!!
:cheerl:

duckpluck
08-12-2008, 09:36 AM
Where is the football stadium in town? Is it across from the high school?

Nursebetty
08-12-2008, 09:40 AM
Will there be many LH fans making the drive to La Grange Saturday? I know when we scrimmage Cuero they always show up in force, even bring noisemakers LOL. Looking forward to seeing the Panthers and my Leps debut Saturday. You got that right! You will see nothing but a sea of GREEN on the Cuero side!!!!!!!!!!!!

TRENCHES06
08-12-2008, 10:08 AM
Yes, the football field is across from the high school.

The Leps have a lot of work to do, but after talking to some coaches its hard not to get excited. They are pretty excited and optimistic even though they will be a bit young.

CHS_89
08-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I'm going to guess split-6.

The one with 6 players on one side and 6 players on the other someone mentioned in another thread, LOL!

Good luck this year!

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-12-2008, 10:54 AM

Smart move to put Cuero and LH on the scrimmage schedule. The Leps will not face any tougher competition the rest of the season and well into the playoffs if they are fortunate to go that far.

That is a BOLD statement Pud, by that it sounds like the Leps will not be tested untill deep into the play-offs.
And I thought La Grange had a pretty tough scedule?

Daddy D 11
08-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
That is a BOLD statement Pud, by that it sounds like the Leps will not be tested untill deep into the play-offs.

He didnt say tested, he said any tougher competition:D

Runnin Panther
08-12-2008, 01:28 PM

LH basic defense is a nickel package with the tackles shifting from 1-3’s, 7 are always 7’s. I take back the word ALWAYS, thats one of those words that should never be used when talking football.

Pudlugger
08-12-2008, 05:54 PM

I said that LH and Cuero will be the toughest competition they face unless they go deep into the playoffs and I think it is a fair statement. Giddings, Sealy and Bellville will be very tough as well but I think LH and Cuero are tougher. Just my opinion and it is a reasonable one. You can argue Sealy is tougher than LH or Cuero but I don't think so. Bellville and Giddings may be tougher but that remains to be proven. As far as pre season picks go I stand by my statement.

Pudlugger
08-13-2008, 07:20 AM
How's the Panther secondary? Do they have speed? I expect the Leps will be throwing the ball much of the time this season. Hopefully they will get to test the Panther secondary some Saturday.

LH Panther Mom
08-13-2008, 06:09 PM
How's the Panther secondary? Do they have speed? I expect the Leps will be throwing the ball much of the time this season. Hopefully they will get to test the Panther secondary some Saturday.
The secondary should be pretty decent, with a couple of returning starters and one or two more that had quite a bit of play time.

Pudlugger
08-14-2008, 09:01 PM
Saturday should be interesting. The 2008 Leps are going to come out and go head to head with the defending state champion Panthers. Looking forward to some hard hitting and tough football. Good luck to both teams and no injuries.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-14-2008, 09:21 PM
I said that LH and Cuero will be the toughest competition they face unless they go deep into the playoffs and I think it is a fair statement. Giddings, Sealy and Bellville will be very tough as well but I think LH and Cuero are tougher. Just my opinion and it is a reasonable one. You can argue Sealy is tougher than LH or Cuero but I don't think so. Bellville and Giddings may be tougher but that remains to be proven. As far as pre season picks go I stand by my statement.

LH and Cuero are two very good programs, but the intensity of a pre-season scrimmage will not be the same as a District game when you are playing for a spot in the play-offs.
Who are your play-off teams from District 25?

Pudlugger
08-15-2008, 08:47 AM
LH and Cuero are two very good programs, but the intensity of a pre-season scrimmage will not be the same as a District game when you are playing for a spot in the play-offs.
Who are your play-off teams from District 25?

Good point regarding intensity. Intensity works both ways though so perhaps that variable cancels out. Scrimmaging the likes of Cuero and LH nonetheless will toughen the Leps and hopefully give them confidence. If they perceive that they have faced the best before that frees them to play well against the tough district foes they need to beat to make the playoffs. So much of the success in hs football depends upon the mind set and this works well for the Leps.

As for playoff contenders in D25? Well I'd say it is wide open with the exception of Smithville(although I would not be surprised if the Smithville Tigers play the role of spoiler for some team in D25 with an upset). As of this point you have to go with the consensus which would be Bellville, Giddings and Sealy in no particular order. The Leps need to win at least one of these games and beat Columbus(not a cake walk either) and Smithville. Since this is quite possible I like our chances. Nice to be back and posting with you again Former.:)