PDA

View Full Version : Astros

Necks_Fan
08-10-2008, 10:23 PM
With a 13-4 win and the subsequent Sweep, the Astros move to 58-59, 1 game below .500 and are 12.5 out of first place in the Central....

Carlos Lee is essentially gone for the season with a broken finger and only about 7 weeks left, but who knows. McClane, Wade, and Cooper dismissed the talks of Bonds coming to Houston to replace Lee in the lineup.....

It is an uphill battle, but it's possible......

GO ASTROS!:)

Bull's-eye
08-10-2008, 10:41 PM
How far out for a possible wild card?

sahen
08-10-2008, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
How far out for a possible wild card?

they have done it before but w/o Lee it will be really, really tuff....we will have to get a lot of help from the teams in front of us...

Necks_Fan
08-11-2008, 09:41 PM
The Astros won again. 5 in a row now.

They are at .500 at 59-59.

:clap:

Backe pitched very well..... 7 IP 1 ER.

Maroon87
08-11-2008, 10:10 PM
Ty Wiggington is having a really good year.

Bull Butter
08-11-2008, 10:41 PM
Tomorrow night's pitching matchup...........

Roy Oswalt vs Tim Lincecum

I would pay money to see that

Necks_Fan
08-11-2008, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter

I would pay money to see that I would pay money to see the old Oswalt vs Lincecum, but Lincecum is by FAR the better pitcher right now.....

He leads the league in ERA and K's.

navscanmaster
08-12-2008, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
The Astros won again. 5 in a row now.

They are at .500 at 59-59.

:clap:

Backe pitched very well..... 7 IP 1 ER.

That one ER from Backe should have never scored. Wigginton bobbled the sinking liner in left that otherwise would have not been enough for Ochoa to score from second. That's okay though, Wigginton made up for it. Two run single and solo shot from our new left fielder:D

Maroon87
08-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Bull Butter

I would pay money to see that

I actually got to see that matchup last May for free.:D The Giants won 2-1 in extra innings.:(

catgut
08-12-2008, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by sahen

they have done it before but w/o Lee it will be really, really tuff....we will have to get a lot of help from the teams in front of us...

One big difference in now and when they did it before was the pitching staff. This staff has been weak all season long.

Necks_Fan
08-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by catgut
One big difference in now and when they did it before was the pitching staff. This staff has been weak all season long. The starting pitching actually isn't all that bad, another difference between now and then, was our offense sucked then and is now somewhat improved, even w/o Lee in it.

Gontex
08-12-2008, 02:36 PM
The starting pitching actually isn't all that bad, another difference between now and then, was our offense sucked then and is now somewhat improved, even w/o Lee in it.

Actually the starting pitching has been spotty at best. Backe gets shelled on a regular basis, Wandy is not a reliable every day starter and Wolf has yet to go much more than 5 innings. O and Mo are both reliable and are doing a good job. That said, I'm going to go see them Thursday against the Giants. Mo is supposed to start and I'm looking for a good game. No chance of wild card. There are just too many teams between them and the Brewers. Too many things would have to happen for the Stros to get there including them having to play at about a .800 clip for the rest of the year. Ain't going to happen, bro.

forum_guy
08-12-2008, 02:54 PM
lets be serious guys, look at the division...no way they make the playoffs this year

Necks_Fan
08-12-2008, 04:26 PM
I didn't say it would be easy, but they have won alot of games recently, and if they keep winning, things will take care of themselves......

Am I skeptical? Yes

Am I hopeful? Yes

Necks_Fan
08-12-2008, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Gontex
Actually the starting pitching has been spotty at best. Backe gets shelled on a regular basis, Wandy is not a reliable every day starter and Wolf has yet to go much more than 5 innings. O and Mo are both reliable and are doing a good job. That said, I'm going to go see them Thursday against the Giants. Mo is supposed to start and I'm looking for a good game. No chance of wild card. There are just too many teams between them and the Brewers. Too many things would have to happen for the Stros to get there including them having to play at about a .800 clip for the rest of the year. Ain't going to happen, bro. ERA

Moehler 3.83 (8-4)
Rodriguez 3.89 (7-4)
Wolf 4.11 (1-0) (Astros Only)
Oswalt 4.56 (9-8)
Backe 5.14 (7-11)

I will agree and say that Backe has been shoot and miss the entire season, but everyone else has a respectable ERA and a winning record..... Not to mention the bullpen has been pretty good this season. Oswalt's stats may not look that impressive but mind you, his first 3 starts, he was (0-3) with an ERA above nine. His stats have been pretty impressive since then minus the # of HR balls he has allowed.

You may be right on the Wolf assessment of not going much more than 5 innings but the work he has done hasn't been bad. I think Houston's pitching staff has actually been better than expected.

The thing holding this team down right now is Pence's under production, no hitting catchers, and a slow start.

Maroon87
08-12-2008, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by forum_guy
lets be serious guys, look at the division...no way they make the playoffs this year

The Phillies were 7 games out with 17 to play last year and they made it. Never say never....

Necks_Fan
08-12-2008, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
The Phillies were 7 games out with 17 to play last year and they made it. Never say never.... :2thumbsup

Gontex
08-12-2008, 06:07 PM
ERA

The thing holding this team down right now is Pence's under production, no hitting catchers, and a slow start.

Not to mention Berkman's sudden lack of power numbers. I can't believe that he has had only 1 homerun since June 30. Lee had been carrying his bat and Berkman's too for the last month. Tejada has not been as good as I had hoped, but his numbers have been decent. Bourne continues to show his lack of experience, (huge baserunning blunder last night) but probably will eventually be a decent major leaguer. Defense in the outfield is definitely lacking. Backe needs to turned into an outfielder next year and get a chance to be in the lineup and hit everyday. Guy can bounce the ball pretty good with his bat and has good power numbers.

Necks_Fan
08-12-2008, 06:12 PM
Not to mention Berkman's sudden lack of power numbers. I can't believe that he has had only 1 homerun since June 30. Lee had been carrying his bat and Berkman's too for the last month. Tejada has not been as good as I had hoped, but his numbers have been decent. Bourne continues to show his lack of experience, (huge baserunning blunder last night) but probably will eventually be a decent major leaguer. Defense in the outfield is definitely lacking. Backe needs to turned into an outfielder next year and get a chance to be in the lineup and hit everyday. Guy can bounce the ball pretty good with his bat and has good power numbers. I don't know about Backe being a position player. Yea he is a good Athlete, but everyday? I don't htink so. I would much rather have Paulino or Cassel in the lineup next year and have Erstad get more AB's. They need to ditch Reggie Abercrombie.

Bourn and Pence are not bad defensively, Lee is liability though, but I'll take him in left and that bat anyday.

And yea on Berkman, he has hit 1 homerun in the last 34-35 games they said. About 120 AB's.:thinking:

Bull's-eye
08-12-2008, 09:47 PM
Astros doing it again, leading SF 8-3 in the bottom of the 7th.

Bull's-eye
08-12-2008, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Astros doing it again, now leading SF 10-3 in the bottom of the 7th.

Maroon87
08-12-2008, 09:48 PM

And yea on Berkman, he has hit 1 homerun in the last 34-35 games they said. About 120 AB's.:thinking:

He has a grand slam tonight.:clap:

zebrablue2
08-12-2008, 10:03 PM

PUMA TIME:clap:

Necks_Fan
08-12-2008, 10:04 PM
He has a grand slam tonight.:clap: Nice!

Maroon87
08-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Pence just hit a homer too.

zebrablue2
08-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Pence just hit a homer too.

pence tried to run ausmus over tonight at the plate. scored about a half step behind brad. that was too funny. loretta was on second behind hunter. i'm sure he was glad... no knee to the back.

Necks_Fan
08-12-2008, 10:10 PM
Yep..... This is sweet. I always love a good blowout....

This will put us at 60-59!

WooHoo!

Maroon87
08-12-2008, 10:18 PM
Once Lincecum went out with that injury, the Astros went off.

Necks_Fan
08-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Once Lincecum went out with that injury, the Astros went off. Lincecum is a beast though. He is the Front runner for the Cy Young in the NL.

He is 12-3 with the K and ERA lead in the NL on a team this is 18 games below .500

That is impressive.

navscanmaster
08-13-2008, 01:35 AM
Lincecum is a beast though. He is the Front runner for the Cy Young in the NL.

He is 12-3 with the K and ERA lead in the NL on a team this is 18 games below .500

That is impressive.

Don't forget Brandon Webb. Lincecum has slowed down a little since the All Star break. I hope this knee injury isn't serious.

SintonFan_inAustin
08-13-2008, 02:22 AM
Didnt i tell yall that the Astros could make a comeback in the second half of the season and push for a playoff spot ;) .

Maroon87
08-13-2008, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
Didnt i tell yall that the Astros could make a comeback in the second half of the season and push for a playoff spot ;) .

If the Astros were in any other division in the NL they'd be right in the thick of it. As it stands they are 8.5 back of the wild card.

Necks_Fan
08-13-2008, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
Don't forget Brandon Webb. Lincecum has slowed down a little since the All Star break. I hope this knee injury isn't serious. I just find it alot more impressive that Lincecum has basically nothing around him and the team he is on is horrible..... If you put Lincecum on the D'backs, he is probably undefeated or one loss..... It's almost inconceivable to have that win/loss ratio on that poor of a team. Webb is having a great season but the talent around him is so much better its rediculous.

Necks_Fan
08-13-2008, 11:30 AM
If the Astros were in any other division in the NL they'd be right in the thick of it. As it stands they are 8.5 back of the wild card. If they were in the NL West, they would be right up there at the top, I have to say, the NL East is pretty good though.

sahen
08-13-2008, 11:47 AM

the astros have won 6 in a row, problem is the brewers have won 7 in a row...to make a push we need the brew crew to start losing some games, however we are catching everyone else in the wild card race...

Necks_Fan
08-13-2008, 11:50 AM
the astros have won 6 in a row, problem is the brewers have won 7 in a row...to make a push we need the brew crew to start losing some games, however we are catching everyone else in the wild card race... Over the last 2 weeks or so, we have gained 4 games on them though...... they were really struggling before that 7 game win streak.... and beatdown of Manny Parra.... Lol.

We just need to keep winning games. Things will take care of themselves...

sahen
08-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Over the last 2 weeks or so, we have gained 4 games on them though...... they were really struggling before that 7 game win streak.... and beatdown of Manny Parra.... Lol.

We just need to keep winning games. Things will take care of themselves...

we have a tuff 7 game road trip coming up w/ 3 in Milwaukee and then 4 at the Mets...if we make up ground and are w/n 5 games or so after that then look out...

Necks_Fan
08-13-2008, 12:27 PM
we have a tuff 7 game road trip coming up w/ 3 in Milwaukee and then 4 at the Mets...if we make up ground and are w/n 5 games or so after that then look out... Yep.

Necks_Fan
08-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Cooper sets goal of 90 wins for Astros
Houston (60-59) vs. San Francisco (50-68), Wed., 7:05 p.m. CT
By Krysten Oliphant / MLB.com

HOUSTON -- Cecil Cooper has upped the ante.
The Astros manager said shortly after the All-Star break that he'd like to win 88 games this season, enough to keep Houston playing in October.

Now he has lengthened the challenge to 90 games, which after Tuesday's 12-4 victory against the Giants means a 30-13 record the rest of the way.

Seems unlikely?

Maybe, but considering the Astros have moved a game above .500 with their win against San Francisco on Tuesday and are 18-8 in their last 26 games, stranger things have happened.

Houston has won 10 of its last 12 and is six games ahead of its 2007 pace, when the club was 54-65 through 119 contests.

There are still 43 games left to play, 23 at home and 19 on the road, and considering the Astros went 10-4 in their last 14 road games, they could have a shot.

They will face the Brewers, Cubs, Rockies, Marlins and Pirates for three games each on the road and have a four-game test in New York on their next trip.

The Astros swept the Mets and split two series with the Cubs, but Cooper is worried about one team.

"The Pirates? Oh God, don't even mention them," he said. "There's something about playing in Pittsburgh. We've got three over there."

The Astros were swept July 21-23 at home against the Pirates and lost two of three in Pittsburgh earlier that month. They've yet to win a series against the Bucs, losing two of three to them in June as well.

Cooper said the only way his team can meet the goal he set is to come up with timely hitting, especially now that Carlos Lee is out for the season.

Ty Wigginton did that Monday night, knocking in three runs on two hits, including one home run.

"We need that from here on out," Cooper said. "Carlos is a big, big hole, I don't care how you slice it. A lot of people have to chip in."

Left fielders have contributed seven RBIs in the past three games, so Cooper said they seem to have it under control.

"Let's just hope it continues like that: Somebody picks it up every day," he said. "That's how you win. We've got a lot of veteran players. I'm hoping somebody steps up every day and puts a spark in there."

Pitching matchup
HOU: LHP Randy Wolf (7-10, 4.67 ERA)
Wolf took a no-decision in his most recent outing versus Cincinnati, allowing four runs over six innings in a game the Astros won in extras. Wolf faced the Giants twice this year as a member of the Padres' pitching staff. He did not earn a decision in either outing but compiled a 2.25 ERA, allowing three earned runs over 12 innings. Lifetime versus the Giants, Wolf is 5-4 with a 3.80 ERA over 12 starts.

SF: LHP Barry Zito (6-14, 5.55 ERA)
Zito was marred by a five-run third inning that cost him the game against the Dodgers on Friday at AT&T Park. The lefty allowed a solo homer by Danny Ardoin and a three-run double to Jeff Kent and exited after five innings. Zito said his velocity was down, but it was his changeup that did him in. He gave up two doubles on hanging changeups and only struck out one batter in the outing. Zito is 1-0 with a 2.77 ERA in two career starts against the Astros.

Tidbits
Cooper saw Brandon Backe throw a cutter for the first time in Monday's 3-1 win against the Giants. He said he knew the right-hander was working on the pitch but only figured out he was using it when he asked pitching coach Dewey Robinson. He said Backe's aggressiveness in throwing strikes was exactly what he needed to get Monday night's win. ... Lately, Cooper has shied away from using reliever Doug Brocail. The oldest reliever on the team has also seen the most action, appearing in 55 games for Houston. Cooper said Monday's eighth inning would have been a good time to use him, but he was impressed with the job LaTroy Hawkins did instead, calling it his best outing yet with the Astros. "He's answered the bell every time," Cooper said. "Initially I think he must have thrown three out of the first four days he was here. He's got a power arm. He hit 96 [mph] a couple times [Monday] night. He's got a nice downhill with it, and when he found that strike zone, boy, that thing explodes."

Link (http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080812&content_id=3296475&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou)

Necks_Fan
08-13-2008, 02:38 PM
ttt

Gontex
08-13-2008, 05:14 PM

Guess we need to talk about his lack of power hitting again today and see if maybe we can spur hime on to hit another one tonight. I'm going down to see them tomorrow. Would be nice if they are going for a 4 game sweep.

Antec
08-13-2008, 05:30 PM
It will still catch up with them with Carlos Lee out for the season

navscanmaster
08-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Antec

I hope you are wrong. I am trying to remain optimstic.:D

Bull Butter
08-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Currently making Barry Zito look like Cy Young:(

Necks_Fan
08-13-2008, 08:57 PM
Lol. Not any more.

Zito loaded the bases with nobody out, walked Berkman.....

then after 3 runs scored in the inning, he walked WOLF, the pitcher, with the bases loaded. Astros have scored 4 runs and counting..... Nice!

4-1 Houston.

Necks_Fan
08-13-2008, 09:02 PM
So after that, they take Zito out, the next then proceeds to hit Wigginton AND Loretta with pitches..... now 6-1....

Bull Butter
08-13-2008, 09:12 PM
Yeah, so much for the Cy Young comparison:)

Necks_Fan
08-13-2008, 09:58 PM
(61-59)

Only problem is, the Brewers are winning and the Cubs had a double header and they won BOTH games.

Dang. Can we catch a break?

Highschoolfan78
08-13-2008, 10:15 PM
(61-59)

Only problem is, the Brewers are winning and the Cubs had a double header and they won BOTH games.

Dang. Can we catch a break?

nope...This is the year for the Cubbies... Therefore, you can't and will not catch a break.

Gontex
08-13-2008, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Antec

I'm just going to enjoy it. If they get there, great. If not, so what. Football season will be starting in something like two plus weeks and then nobody will care about the Stros till next year. They are already playing in front of a half full stadium Looks like there may be 20K in the stadium tonight. Maybe we can slide on down closer to the front tomorrow. We are supposed to be in row 31 in section 109. That is right down the third base line. I will be the fat dude in the red shirt and white cap.

Necks_Fan
08-14-2008, 01:07 AM
I will be the fat dude in the red shirt and white cap. Lol. Don't get knocked out by a line drive..... and if you catch a foul ball, do something memorable for the cam cause it always shows the people who get em.:thumbsup:

Buccaneer
08-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Thursday: Astros down 4-3 in the 6th

Buccaneer
08-14-2008, 04:19 PM
Astros win 8th in a row! 7-4

sahen
08-14-2008, 05:17 PM
brew crew finally lost as well...Astros are 7.5 back of the wild card

Maroon87
08-14-2008, 05:50 PM
Back to back 4 game sweeps...I don't care who you're playing, that's pretty rare.

In fact, it's the Astros' first 4-game sweep of the Giants since 1970.:eek:

SintonFan_inAustin
08-14-2008, 05:56 PM
brew crew finally lost as well...Astros are 7.5 back of the wild card I think it comes down to the last couple of games of the season before Astros either ovetake the wildcard spot or is eliminated. Astros and A's seem to do this every year, start slow and finish strong except A's started good and finishing bad this year.

navscanmaster
08-14-2008, 07:39 PM
I think it comes down to the last couple of games of the season before Astros either ovetake the wildcard spot or is eliminated. Astros and A's seem to do this every year, start slow and finish strong except A's started good and finishing bad this year.

That's why sometimes during the middle of the season, I occupy myself with other things. If I don't, I'll just go nuts wondering why that fat lineup can't hit a lick.

Necks_Fan
08-14-2008, 09:14 PM
Moehler not so good today, but they get the job done anyway. Berkman with a 2 run shot as well. Good game.

That's now 16/20! Nice.

Go Astros!

Gontex
08-14-2008, 09:15 PM
That is right down the third base line. I will be the fat dude in the red shirt and white cap. [/B][/QUOTE]

There were too many fat dudes in red shirts and white hats for me to stand out in the crowd. Only one ball into our section, but the Stros did win the game. Berkman's home run got out of the park in a hurry. Couldn't tell if Blum's hit was in fact a home run, but lots of folks got upset when it was ruled a double. Bring on the Dbacks. Eight in a row. Time to stay on a roll.

Necks_Fan
08-14-2008, 09:20 PM
That is right down the third base line. I will be the fat dude in the red shirt and white cap.

There were too many fat dudes in red shirts and white hats for me to stand out in the crowd. Only one ball into our section, but the Stros did win the game. Berkman's home run got out of the park in a hurry. Couldn't tell if Blum's hit was in fact a home run, but lots of folks got upset when it was ruled a double. Bring on the Dbacks. Eight in a row. Time to stay on a roll. [/B][/QUOTE] They showed it about 30 times on TV and it looked like a HR to me. I think it hit the metal railing above the yellow line. Oh well, Blum scored anyway when Erstad drove a pitch to CF.:)

sahen
08-14-2008, 10:05 PM
I'll be there sunday...Biggio's number is being retired along w/ the pitching matchup of Oswalt vs. Randy Johnson...should be a good day and hopefully another Astros win!

Necks_Fan
08-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Astros going for 9 in a row, taking on Brandon Webb and the D'Backs......

Maroon87
08-15-2008, 07:08 PM
If they can win tonight that would be something. I'm going tomorrow night so hopefully they keep the streak alive.

Buccaneer
08-15-2008, 07:17 PM
Too bad Wandy is pitching!

Buccaneer
08-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
Too bad Wandy is pitching!

Wandy gives up 3 runs on 2 hits and 4 walks and leaves the bases loaded on strikeouts to Chris Burke(BA .197) and Brandon Webb.

Maroon87
08-15-2008, 07:32 PM
Sometimes you get "good Wandy" and sometimes you get "bad Wandy." Tonight looks like the latter.

(Hey Wandy...just pretend you're pitching against Bronson Arroyo LOL)

Necks_Fan
08-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Sometimes you get "good Wandy" and sometimes you get "bad Wandy." Tonight looks like the latter.

(Hey Wandy...just pretend you're pitching against Bronson Arroyo LOL) He couldn't locate the outside fastball and wasn't getting good movement from the Curve. Just a tough night for him.

Necks_Fan
08-15-2008, 09:22 PM
Looks like our win streak is over boys.

Maroon87
08-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Looks like our win streak is over boys.

Yep. Bad guys win, 12-2.

Necks_Fan
08-15-2008, 09:58 PM
Lol. Chris Burke went yard on us.

Maroon87
08-15-2008, 10:03 PM
Lol. Chris Burke went yard on us.

Yeah but at least it wasn't a game winner. It was already 9-2 when that happened.

Buccaneer
08-16-2008, 06:27 PM
Saturday- Another disastrous 1st inning! Backe cant throw strikes and when he does it goes for a grand slam!

Gontex
08-16-2008, 06:33 PM
I don't know about Backe being a position player.

I don't know about Backe being a pitcher. Here it is the bottom of the first inning and the game for all practical purposes is over. Backe is a great batting practice pitcher. Maybe we can trade him to someone we play and get some of these batting practice pitches of his thrown to the Stros. D'backs batted around in the first inning scoring 5 runs with a grand slam. Backe ain't worth a flip as a pitcher. Having a decent game every other time he pitches simply will not cut it for a team that is trying to make up as much ground as the Stros need to. Time to put him on waivers and bring Miller up from Round Rock and give him a chance. We know Backe can't cut it, let's find someone who can. While you are at it, send Rodriguez to the same place you send Backe. These guys are a big reason the Stros are where they are, and I'm not talking about in Houston.

Necks_Fan
08-16-2008, 06:42 PM
So, Oswalt, Moehler, and who....? Wolf is a FA, and you don't like Wandy or Backe..... So who then?

Pay CC Sabathia or Ben Sheets 25Mil/ Season? I don't think McClane will go that route.

Bring in some mediocre nobody's who are about the same as Backe and wandy.... probably.

Gontex
08-16-2008, 07:24 PM
So, Oswalt, Moehler, and who....? Wolf is a FA, and you don't like Wandy or Backe..... So who then

Your pitchers need to at least give you the chance to win. With Wandy last night and Backe tonight, the Stros have no chance. I think you can take Wandy's spot and I'll take Backe's and I know Stros won't be any worse off for wear and tear and I have never seen you pitch. They'll have just as much a chance to win with us as those guys.

No seriously, I watched the Express play a couple of weeks ago and they had a kid named Miller (don't remember his first name) who threw a two hitter that night. Express' hitting was no better than the Stros have been on many nights this year, but this guy controlled the game. I know AAA is not the majors, but..........Bring Samson out of the pen and make him a starter.

Gontex
08-16-2008, 08:32 PM
Two grand salamis tonight. Wow. That's pretty terrific Backe. I wonder where you are going to be working next year? I sure hope it's not Houston. If you are still in Houston, the Stros are dead meat.

Necks_Fan
08-16-2008, 08:34 PM
Two grand salamis tonight. Wow. That's pretty terrific Backe. I wonder where you are going to be working next year? I sure hope it's not Houston. If you are still in Houston, the Stros are dead meat. Yea. Lol. 2 Grand Slams?

I stopped watching them. I changed to the Texans.

Gontex
08-16-2008, 09:20 PM
I stopped watching them. I changed to the Texans. [/B][/QUOTE]

I guess I am a die hard. I do hate to see them lose like this when they are not even competitive. Chances are good that even with O pitching tomorrow, they are going to get their clock cleaned. Johnson is on a roll right now and good pitching usually shuts down good hitting. They do have to do something about pitching next year. Sheets would be a good addition and I think he is attainable. Sabathia, not much chance there. I suspect one of the high dollar teams will get him. Good chance Milwaukee will be unable to keep him. I knew the Stros had mortgaged their future several years ago in their push to make it to the World Series. The bill has come due and we are paying it right now with a depleted minor league system and a somewhat suspect major league team. McLane seems to be willing to spend some money on the team and he doesn't like to see the stadium half full during the last one-third of the season. It's costing him money on concessions. The only way he can get a crowd in there is to have some kind of big promotion or giveaway. I think the old man will make some moves to improve the team next year. It's going to have to be through free agency though.

popcorn screen
08-16-2008, 09:23 PM
you cant buy a team. Must draft well and build within the system. When that happens, then you add a mix of vetrans and Fa and play ball. Lived in H-town 1/2 my life. I think Drayton wants to win, I dont always agree with everyone we bring up through the system always winds up a stud on someone else's team. I feel like we give up on our guys to soon. Also, we need management to become stable from the top to the bottom.

Necks_Fan
08-16-2008, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by popcorn screen
you cant buy a team. Must draft well and build within the system. When that happens, then you add a mix of vetrans and Fa and play ball. Lived in H-town 1/2 my life. I think Drayton wants to win, I dont always agree with everyone we bring up through the system always winds up a stud on someone else's team. I feel like we give up on our guys to soon. Also, we need management to become stable from the top to the bottom. Yep, if they go after FA's, then they are going to be giving up compensatory picks in return, thats what has killed us the last couple of years.

Losing those picks for players like Woody Williams and Carlos Lee.

popcorn screen
08-16-2008, 09:38 PM
Its funny how all the baseball knowledge (alleged) that these GM's claim to have and their ability to talk their owner into those types of deals is amazing. I am sure you and I and many other fans would do things different. Sometimes, patience will reward you faster than the alternative route. Fans will come to the games if they have a general idea about where the francise is headed. We are not stupid.

Gontex
08-17-2008, 06:15 AM
Yep, if they go after FA's, then they are going to be giving up compensatory picks in return, thats what has killed us the last couple of years.

Losing those picks for players like Woody Williams and Carlos Lee.

They definitely need to rebuild the minor league system. Failure to sign draft choices the last several years has also been a key issue. Nevertheless, they are going to have to go after some fa pitching or they are not going to be competitive for three to five years. If that is the case, then they need to trade Berkman, Pence, Roy. and anybody else they have to build the system back.

Buccaneer
08-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Sunday Roy O was on today giving up only 1 hit over 8 innings. Wigginton hit a 3 run homer in the 1st off of Randy Johnson. Astros win 3-0

Astrosdawg07
08-17-2008, 05:06 PM
They definitely need to rebuild the minor league system. Failure to sign draft choices the last several years has also been a key issue. Nevertheless, they are going to have to go after some fa pitching or they are not going to be competitive for three to five years. If that is the case, then they need to trade Berkman, Pence, Roy. and anybody else they have to build the system back.

I can understand trading Berkman and Roy (don't like the idea, but if the right deal came along yes), however; to trade Pence would be taking a step back.

Necks_Fan
08-17-2008, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
I can understand trading Berkman and Roy (don't like the idea, but if the right deal came along yes), however; to trade Pence would be taking a step back. I agree, I could live with letting the opt for Free Agency and getting compensatory picks in return. The average fan would think Houston was stupid to let them go, but they dont know that we would get draft picks in return.

Necks_Fan
08-17-2008, 06:16 PM
What in the crap is in Wigginton doing batting over .300?

Good lord, he is tearing it up all of a sudden.....

He truly is having a great season....

And I can't say enough about Oswalt tonight, he really looked like the Oswalt we are used to.

8 IP, 1 H, 0 ER.......

Very nice game for Oswalt and Wigginton....

sahen
08-17-2008, 06:20 PM
i was at the game (Biggio's number was retired today!)....good game for the Astros and Oswalt, Cooper shouldve let him finish the game though....

Necks_Fan
08-17-2008, 06:22 PM
i was at the game (Biggio's number was retired today!)....good game for the Astros and Oswalt, Cooper shouldve let him finish the game though.... Yea, I agree. A CG by one of Biggio's really good friends would have been sweet, either way..... that was nice...

What was the pitch count like, I wasn't able to watch much of this game, I wasn't around this afternoon.

Gontex
08-18-2008, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
I can understand trading Berkman and Roy (don't like the idea, but if the right deal came along yes), however; to trade Pence would be taking a step back.

I didn't say I would like it myself. The reality of the situation is that the failure to deliver some better starting pitching for next year is going to doom this club to another fourth or fifth place finish in the division. Present situation with three reliable starters and two batting practice pitchers has kept the pitching staff in a terrible strain. It just doesn't look like Wandy and Backe are ever going to be the consistent starters they need to be. Backe is becoming consistently bad. You can't afford to have a decent start and two blowouts every three times he pitches.

Necks_Fan
08-18-2008, 11:05 AM
Backe is becoming consistently bad. You can't afford to have a decent start and two blowouts every three times he pitches. I agree completely....

Maroon87
08-18-2008, 11:12 AM
I agree completely....

I was at the game Saturday...it's not every day that you see an MLB pitcher give up two grand slams in one game.:doh:

Necks_Fan
08-18-2008, 11:13 AM
I was at the game Saturday...it's not every day that you see an MLB pitcher give up two grand slams in one game.:doh: Quite an accomplishment really.....:hand:

sahen
08-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Yea, I agree. A CG by one of Biggio's really good friends would have been sweet, either way..... that was nice...

What was the pitch count like, I wasn't able to watch much of this game, I wasn't around this afternoon.

he was barely over 100, maybe 105 or so....i don't think it matters to Cooper though, earlier in the year I was at a game where Moehler had pitched great through 8 innings, giving up 0 runs on only like 85 pitches and Cooper pulled him w/ a 5 or 6 run lead after the 8th inning...