PDA

View Full Version : Waco La Vega

bwdlionfan
08-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Looking at Dave Campbell's last night and I read what he had on La Vega. These guys are gonna be tough. They return 8/7 starters from a 13-1 team including their RB who rushed for over 1,700 yards and their QB who threw for over 1,600. They sound pretty balanced. They also have an OL on the preseason all state team. Who saw them play last year, what formations do they run on offense and defense.

Dogman_1969
08-10-2008, 11:58 AM
I saw them and they ran winged T a ran right at you with a few play actions off it. Can't stop it just hope to slow it down........

bwdlionfan
08-10-2008, 12:03 PM
So a power running team like liberty hill? only they pass more?

c-town_balla
08-10-2008, 12:08 PM
The yards may be balanced....but the play calling isn't

LV is 75% tunnel sweep
then maybe 10% play-action
15% other runs

87 TIGER
08-10-2008, 12:15 PM
They sure got alot of passing yards for only passing 10% of the time. wow

c-town_balla
08-10-2008, 12:22 PM
I would think they have a fairly high yards per throw avg. As teams have to stack the line to stop the Tunnel Sweep

WOS87
08-10-2008, 01:06 PM
We held them to 6 points through 3 and 1/2 quarters so they can be stopped.... a team will have to have the stamina and/or the depth to keep the pressure on for 4 quarters to get the win

slingshot
08-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Playing them and LH will be a very good barometer of just how conditioned us (Wylie) and BWD are... should be some VERY interesting games!

jimmyceatworld
08-10-2008, 02:54 PM
I played against them last year and watched them play against Crockett and CS in the playoffs. They run it the majority of the time. They have some huge hogmollies up front so when things are working they just sweep it to the back and he runs right behind them (pretty simple but it works). LV has a good quarterback but he doesn't get much of a chance to show it. Like someone said earlier, they probably only throw it about 10% of the time.

Rabid Cougar
08-10-2008, 05:28 PM
They are huge up front (average over 300 lbs) and have tremendous speed at the skill position. The QB is very good. He as an excellent arm. The run the Tyler Sweep; toss it to Parr and his picks his holes. He cannot be caught from behind. Stack the line and try to stop it and they will spread the field and throw.

On D, they a very quick. They return almost everyone except for the thier Middle Linebacker and a DE.

Brownwood will be reminded of Waco High; LV is every bit as athletic.

Rabid Cougar
08-10-2008, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by slingshot
Playing them and LH will be a very good barometer of just how conditioned us (Wylie) and BWD are... should be some VERY interesting games!

I don't think your teams conditioning plays into it as much as playing keep away for their offense. In CS's 2 games against them last year, CS had twice as much ToP as LV in both games. LV had 4 TD plays of over 50 yards the Regional game (their first play from scrimmage was a 75 yard td run) and 6 in the Distirct game. One of the Regional and two of the District TD's were on passes. In the Regional Game, they had a total of eight offensive plays in the fourth quarter. Their defense can be worn down.

JR2004
08-10-2008, 05:57 PM
Modoc is going to run that JT sweep over and over and over. They've been doing it since the day Willie Williams took over there. He tried running the spread one year when his son was a senior. It was a disaster and he's never gone back to it.

With LaVega you know what's coming and where it's going, but you still can't stop it the majority of the time. You can read your keys, know where it's going but it usually doesn't matter because they still get positive yardage. They just pound away at you until you either are worn out or you bring the house and they beat you over the top with play action.

slingshot
08-10-2008, 10:20 PM
Should be interesting... Wylie is usually very disciplined on defense and very well prepared. Not brag--just fact. As stated a few times last year, we are a chameleon. Offensively and defensively, we take (and exploit) whatever the other team gives us. With the murderer's row schedule we have this year--generally ranked the hardest in the state in 3A, right even with Brownwood's--and a very young team with few returning starters, I certainly don't expect us to come through unscathed. But playing teams like LH and LV can only make us better come playoff time...

Daddy D 11
08-10-2008, 10:31 PM
What's up with their being very few, if no La Vega fans on here?

Matthew328
08-10-2008, 11:01 PM
they'll run it run it run it...and if they get the corner its night night