PDA

View Full Version : Baseline drug testing for BHS students scheduled

espn1
08-09-2008, 12:55 AM
Baseline drug testing for BHS students scheduled!

In an effort to ensure a safe environment for all students, the Burnet Consolidated Independent School District has adopted a policy that allows random drug testing for all students from seventh through twelfth grade who are participating in at least one school-sponsored extracurricular event for the 2008-09 academic year and/or who plan on operating a motor vehicle on campus.

A school-sponsored extracurricular activity means, without limitation, all interscholastic athletes, cheerleading, drill team, academic clubs, special interest clubs, band, choir, drama productions, student government, and any other activity or group that participates in contests, competitions, or community service projects on behalf of or as a representative of the district.

As a result of the policy guidelines, participation in a school-sponsored extracurricular activity or event is conditioned upon consent and participation in the district's drug testing program.

A parent forum was held on Monday at the high school gymnasium to help answer any questions or address any concerns of parents.

The district intends to test 100 percent of eligible high school students during the initial baseline testing and 20 percent of eligible high school students on each subsequent testing date.

The district will not require baseline testing for middle school students, but will test at least five percent of eligible seventh and eighth grade students on each subsequent testing date throughout the 2008-09 school year.

A drug testing permission form was mailed out to students last week. If you did not receive a form you can contact the high school for one.

Students must bring the form signed by a parent or guardian in order to participate in the baseline testing on August 8. Students who do not participate in Friday's testing need to return the signed permission form to their campus at the beginning of the school year.

The implementation of the drug testing program is a means to deter substance abuse among Burnet High School and Middle School students. BCISD would like to thank you for your interest and support in this program.

Schedule for testing

7:30-9:30 a.m. - Football

9:30-10:30 a.m. - Cross Country and Volleyball

10:30-11:30 a.m. - Highlandettes and Cheerleaders

1-3 p.m. - Band

3-4 p.m. - Remaining boys and girls athletics

4-5 p.m. - FFA, HOSA, Student Council, NHS, FCCLA, UIL Academics, BETC/OAP, FHA, Interact, FCA

5-6 p.m. _- Students of parents who wish to voluntarily have students tested, students driving on campus, make-ups for any student who could not attend previously scheduled times.

Any thoughts on this? Good idea, bad idea? Is your School getting this aggressive?

http://burnetbulletin.com/SiteImages/FeaturePhoto/232.jpg

LH Panther Mom
08-09-2008, 07:50 AM
I think it's a good idea and wish more schools (including LH) would adopt a similar policy.

Lion_Addict
08-09-2008, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I think it's a good idea and wish more schools (including LH) would adopt a similar policy.

:clap: :iagree: :iagree:

Looking4number8
08-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Lion_Addict
:clap: :iagree: :iagree:

I agree also! Sad that we feel a need to, but we need to ensure our school and school activities are a drug free enviroment!

Way to go Burnet ISD!

Additup
08-09-2008, 08:42 AM
A much better use of money than just steriod testing athletes...

Random drug testing is an excuse that kids can use in combating peer pressure. Be proud of your district for really trying to help kids and parents.

espn1
08-09-2008, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by lookingfornumbe
I agree also! Sad that we feel a need to, but we need to ensure our school and school activities are a drug free enviroment!

Way to go Burnet ISD! I agree I personally want Government out of my life. I'm a hardcore Libertarian! But I hate drugs also! I have mixed emotions, but only from a Personal Liberty Stand Point! I'm all for cleaning up the Drugs! But here's my point of view!

According to Charles Murray, What It Means to Be a Libertarian:

The American Founders created a society based on the belief that human happiness is intimately connected with personal freedom and responsibility. The twin pillars of the system they created were limits on the power of the central government and protection of individual rights. . . .

A few people, of whom I am one, think that the Founders' insights are as true today as they were two centuries ago. We believe that human happiness requires freedom and that freedom requires limited government.

The correct word for my view of the world is liberal. "Liberal" is the simplest anglicization of the Latin liber, and freedom is what classical liberalism is all about. The writers of the nineteenth century who expounded on this view were called liberals. In Continental Europe they still are. . . . But words mean what people think they mean, and in the United States the unmodified term liberal now refers to the politics of an expansive government and the welfare state. The contemporary alternative is libertarian. . . .

Libertarianism is a vision of how people should be able to live their lives-as individuals, striving to realize the best they have within them; together, cooperating for the common good without compulsion. It is a vision of how people may endow their lives with meaning-living according to their deepest beliefs and taking responsibility for the consequences of their actions.

DDBooger
08-09-2008, 09:41 AM
Don't forget the other reason you're a Libertarian, expansive govt and corporate welfare on the flip side!

forum_guy
08-09-2008, 12:13 PM
some teams better be ready to lose star players when adopting this...lol

c-town_balla
08-09-2008, 02:08 PM
We (cameron) have been doing this for four years. We haven't had anyone test positive yet.

Emerson1
08-09-2008, 04:35 PM
We have been doing drug testing for extracurricular activities for years now. Not for who parks on campus though