PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Central Texas Countdown (Austin area)

LH Panther Mom
08-08-2008, 05:29 AM
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL

Unicorns, Grametbaur bracing for 2008 changes
No. 10 New Braunfels shores up secondary by moving All-State LB to safety.
By Bill Oram

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Friday, August 08, 2008

It was during the 7-on-7 season last summer that the idea took root in Thomas Sitton's mind.

The New Braunfels High School defensive coordinator, watching the Unicorns play in the summer passing league, followed linebacker Ryan Grametbaur's success at safety.

It was like letting a bald eagle go fishing at an aquarium.

"He was making plays all over the field," Sitton recalled.

Grametbaur said he averaged about five interceptions a game during 7-on-7 and embraced the opportunity for more plays.

Getting to take out unsuspecting receivers who ventured across the middle was fun, too.

But when summer ended and the real season started, there was no question that the 6-foot-2-inch Grametbaur would move back to his familiar linebacker spot.

There, he went on to record 171 tackles, earn honorable mention All-State honors and help lead New Braunfels — the No. 10-ranked Central Texas preseason team, by the American-Statesman's vote — to the Class 4A Division I state semifinals.

Heading into this fall, the Unicorns — who are moving up to Class 5A — were faced with glaring holes in the secondary. Last season's starting safeties both graduated, but Sitton remembered how well Grametbaur performed during 7-on-7.

"Our whole philosophy on defense is to get the best 11 on the field," Sitton said. "And to do that, we moved him to safety."

Called "very football sharp" by Sitton, Grametbaur has earned a reputation for knowing each spot on the defense as well as the players at those positions. Safety is the third position in three seasons for Grametbaur, who played halfback as a sophomore before being switched to middle linebacker last year.

"He could play any position on defense," Sitton said.

Grametbaur, who's being recruited by Baylor and Oklahoma State, said he itched to play safety regularly after 7-on-7.

At 195 pounds, he made an undersized linebacker but thinks he'll be a quick and imposing safety.

"It's always something I thought about doing," he said.

Grametbaur's move now opens up a spot at linebacker for senior Tanner Brown, a talented player who otherwise might not have had a starting spot, Sitton said.

Last year, Grametbaur and Tom Wort — a first-team All-State selection who has committed to Oklahoma — formed an imposing linebacker tandem. Grametbaur's 171 stops last season were second only to Wort's 210.

Wort said it will be strange not playing alongside his best friend, Grametbaur — last season, Grametbaur wore jersey No. 20 and Wort was No. 21 — but that Wort has "confidence that if something gets by, he's gonna be there."

Grametbaur, who nabbed two interceptions last season at middle linebacker, figures he will have more opportunities for that kind of play while roaming the defensive backfield.

He said he remembers well his time at safety during 7-on-7 and feels it was suited perfectly for his hard-hitting, athletic style.

"It just seemed natural for me to play the position," he said.

woram@statesman.com; 445-3677

AAS link (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/highschool/08/08/0808prepfoot.html)

LH Panther Mom
08-09-2008, 08:01 AM
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL

Copperas Cove's Brock has been a linebacker star long in the making
Son of assistant coach has helped Bulldawgs reach two straight 4A title games
By Bill Oram

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Saturday, August 09, 2008

COPPERAS COVE — Tanner Brock was a Copperas Cove Bulldawg long before he put on the uniform.

While his father, Reb, roamed the Cove sidelines as an assistant coach, Brock would play in games with other kids behind the grandstands.

While the team practiced, he and his brothers would play hide-and-seek in the weight room and throughout the athletic complex along with other coaches' kids.

"We've known him since he was knee-high to a gopher," said Bulldawgs coach Jack Welch.

Brock, now a senior, is considered one of the top linebacker recruits in the state, a two-time all-state selection and on this year's Texas Football Super Team's third team.

And he's getting to put many of the things he learned by hanging around his father's office to good use.

"Terms that you heard back then, when you hear them now, they just pop back into your head," Brock said.

He has committed to TCU, where he will play with his brother, former Cove tight end Logan Brock, who is a redshirt freshman.

Until then, Tanner Brock is focused on helping the Bulldawgs — the No. 9-ranked Central Texas preseason team by the American-Statesman's vote — carry their success from Class 4A, where they advanced to the last two Division I state championship games, to Class 5A.

Brock is the latest in a recent run of standout linebackers from Copperas Cove during the past decade, including T.J. Hollowell, who played at Nebraska and in the NFL, and John McKinney, who played for the University of Arizona.

"He's been around those kind of people all his life," said Reb Brock, Copperas Cove's defensive coordinator, who has been coaching there for nine years.

For the 6-foot-3-inch Tanner Brock, a father who coached football and understood what it takes to play defense has been key. "A lot of people don't have that opportunity to have someone who knows the game around them all the time," Brock said.

In addition to being the quarterback of the defense as middle linebacker, Brock has become a viable option to quarterback the offense, too.

Welch has three quarterbacks vying for the starting spot, but if none of them step up, he said, he wouldn't hesitate to insert Brock.

"If I have to, I'll put him at quarterback," Welch said.

Brock said the expectations that come with being the all-around player — and student, with a 3.86 GPA — don't add any pressure, and that pressure is a long-standing myth in need of debunking anyhow.

"Pressure's just what you put on yourself. If you just go out there and do it, it's not a big deal," he said.

Brock, however, has become a big deal in Central Texas high school football.

Recording 208 tackles as a sophomore and 220 last season, he quickly earned offers from several Big 12 programs, including Oklahoma, Missouri and Kansas.

Brock, however, opted to stay close to home and heart when he chose to play for the Horned Frogs.

He made it to every TCU home game last season to watch, observe and dissect, soaking it all up and hanging around like a child learning the game for the first time.

AAS link (http://www.statesman.com/news/content/sports/stories/highschool/08/09/0809prepfoot.html)

LH Panther Mom
08-11-2008, 10:29 AM
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL
Q&A with LBJ football coach Demo Odems

By Danny Davis
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Sunday, August 10, 2008

Expectations at LBJ High School — the No. 8-ranked Central Texas preseason high school football team, as voted upon by the American-Statesman sports staff — are high for this year. And the Jaguars not only will have new faces in key positions, but also a new head coach.

Claude Mathis, who led LBJ to the playoffs in each of his three seasons, left to take over at DeSoto. Replacing him at LBJ is Demo Odems, a 1992 LBJ graduate.

Odems, 34, came over from Johnston, where he endured a tough 2007 that included an 0-10 record and four forfeit losses because the Rams didn't have enough healthy players to field a varsity squad. He was hired at LBJ in April, and two months later it was announced that Johnston would close in order to re-open this fall under a new name.

Last week, the American-Statesman visited with Odems following the Jaguars' first practice, where he discussed his past, present and future at LBJ:

How does it feel to be the head coach of a program for which you once played?

It's a humbling thing to me. I have an opportunity to be back at my school, where I kind of got my start in coaching (Odems coached wide receivers and defensive backs at LBJ from 1997 until 2001) and in playing.

I'm overjoyed by the fact that I have the opportunity to coach kids that I got the chance to see grow up in little league. It's a fun time for me right now.

Does your alumni status give you more credibility with your players?

I think that plays a big role in it. These guys know that I have a vested interest in this school because I've worked here before and I went to school here. I have a total commitment to this program.

What are your thoughts reflecting back on last season? Do you have any regrets?

I don't regret anything about that situation (at Johnston). It was a great experience for me. It was my first head coaching job. I learned a lot about administrative duties and things like that, and I'm still learning.

We didn't have a lot of kids, but the kids we did have, they worked their butts off for us. I can only give gratitude to Johnston because they gave me an opportunity.

What was your reaction to Johnston closing?

It was a saddening situation. That school, when I was in school and prior to that, had great tradition. As a matter of fact, my senior year, they won district (in football) and beat us for the district championship. They have a great history. A lot of their guys have come out of that school and gone to college and even gone to the pros.

My father graduated from that school, so it's a touchy situation because a lot of people from this community have a vested interest in that school. It touches me because its East side of Austin, and to me, all East side is part of me.

It's a completely different situation for you at LBJ than it was at Johnston. What has been the biggest difference to you?

The biggest difference is numbers and the expectations. Now we have the numbers where a No. 2 guy will work just as hard as a No. 1 guy because that No. 1 guy knows my spot might not be there if I don't work hard. You have that depth chart issue that helps build character on the team.

These kids want to play football. A lot of the time at Johnston, we had to go find people to try to field a team. They might not have wanted to play as bad as these kids here want to play football.

There are a lot more expectations and pressure to win here. How are you handling that?

We talk to our kids about remembering the past, but going on into the future and trying to do better things.

This group of guys, they really want to move on to that next level. They had the taste of what deep in the playoffs feels like, but now they want to see what it's like to get that plaque at the end of the year.

Our motto this year is "The Tradition Continues" and we're trying to focus on trying to get that tradition that LBJ had in the past. Claude Mathis and his staff ... got it back on track, and I want to take my staff and continue to carry it on for the long haul.

Turning the Jags around

Last year's playoff run to the state quarterfinals was LBJ's finest season since the Jaguars went 9-2-1 and reached the area round of the 1992 playoffs behind record-setting running back Shon Mitchell. Here's how LBJ has fared the past 10 years:

Year W-L Note

2007 10-3 Lost to eventual state champ Lamar in OT

2006 6-5 Was the Jags' first winning record since 1995

2005 5-7 First playoff appearance since 2001

2004 2-8 Went 2-3 in 25-4A in David Seaborn's last year

2003 3-7 RB Joseph Turner ended up signing with TCU

2002 3-7 Led by future New Orleans Saints CB Chris Houston

2001 5-6 Highlight was RB Elliott Walker's 389-yard game

2000 6-6 Jags had one of area's top defenses (169 yards/game)

1999 3-7 RB Lawrence Henderson rushed for 1,039 yards

1998 3-7 LBJ defense allowed 21.9 points a game

danieldavis@statesman.com; 445-3952

AAS link (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/highschool/08/10/0810prepfoot.html)

LH Panther Mom
08-11-2008, 10:32 AM
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL
Wimberley hoping for banner season in 8-3A
Revamped district pits Texans against Liberty Hill.

By Rick Cantu
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Monday, August 11, 2008

WIMBERLEY — Revvin' in '07.

"We've got to take that down," Wimberley High School football coach Weldon Nelms said, pointing at the red, white and blue banner with those words outside the school gym.

The Texans admit that they are still a work in progress. For starters, a new, inspirational banner will have a message that packs a stronger punch:

Think State in '08.

Many high schools in Texas talk about winning state in August, but state has become a realistic goal for a football program that won the Class 3A, Division I championship in 2005.

In what appears destined to be one of the most competitive races in Central Texas, Wimberley — the No. 7-ranked Central Texas preseason team by the American-Statesman's vote — has joined two-time defending state champion Liberty Hill in District 8-3A. With Burnet and Fredericksburg both dropping down from Class 4A, 8-3A figures to have a showcase matchup every week.

"The competition speaks for itself," said Nelms, who has a 65-23 record since arriving at the school in 2001.

While Nelms concentrates on his 10-game schedule, many Texans already are pointing toward their Oct. 24 home clash against Liberty Hill, a game that promises to have serious repercussions for Hill Country pride and playoff seeding.

"Liberty Hill is the one game we do not want to lose," defensive tackle Mason Kothman said.

Quarterback Barron Scudder said there is "bad blood" between the Texans and Panthers, stemming from yearly competition and Internet message boards.

"This is going to be a challenge," he said, referring to the district schedule. "I like the challenge."

Scudder (2,257 yards passing, 17 touchdowns) is the catalyst for a young offense that features returning running back J.J. Young (27 carries, 157 yards, two touchdowns) and wide receivers Brooks Blakemore (33 catches, 533 yards, four touchdowns) and Austin Morrow.

The Texans will get an infusion of youth from freshman running back Dennis Smith, the ringleader of his eighth-grade team at Wimberley Junior High. Smith is the first freshman to earn a starting berth on varsity during Nelms' eight years in Wimberley.

Senior inside linebacker Cody Chacon (72 tackles), inside linebacker Rolando Mendoza, tackle Cameron Allen and Kothman aim to dominate on defense while the offense adjusts to new players.

The Texans, 6-7 in 2007, are practicing on the school's baseball diamond while awaiting new artificial turf.

Speaking of a work in progress, the $450,000 project should be completed long before they open their home schedule Sept. 5 against Dripping Springs.

rcantu@statesman.com; 445-3953

10-2 vs. 8-3A

Wimberley has won 10 of 12 games against fellow District 8-3A opponents since 2004, with the Texans' win-loss record against that team in parenthesis:

Liberty Hill (3-1): Last year's 35-10 Liberty Hill victory snapped a three-game Texans winning streak since 2004. One of those wins, a 48-44 victory in 2006, came when the Panthers were ranked No. 9 in the state.

Llano (3-1): Wimberley has won three straight, outscoring Llano 70-14 the past three years, including last season's 28-7 victory that secured the District 25-3A title.

Ingram Moore (4-0): This has been a one-sided series, with Wimberley posting wins of 37-0, 63-6, 56-0 and 53-8 since 2004.

Note: Wimberley hasn't faced Fredericksburg or Burnet since 2004. Canyon Lake is in its first season.

— From staff reports

AAS link (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/highschool/08/11/0811prepfoot.html)

LHexPlayer
08-11-2008, 10:38 AM
"Bad Blood"

Well maybe just a little.:D

LH Panther Mom
08-11-2008, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by LHexPlayer
"Bad Blood"

Well maybe just a little.:D
LOL! It goes back further than message boards. :eek: :eek: ;)

Daddy D 11
08-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Wow, Wimberley returns no one.

c-town_balla
08-11-2008, 01:40 PM
I think LBJ will drop off as well...they lost quite a bit and their coach had really instilled some disipline in them

LH Panther Mom
08-12-2008, 09:58 PM
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL

Returning talent has No. 6 Bowie poised in 25-5A
Dodds, Hohmann, Perry and Moore give Bulldogs offensive firepower
By Danny Davis

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

If things go well at Bowie High School this fall, Philander Moore may have something to brag about to his girlfriend.

Not that Moore doesn't have plenty to talk about already. Last year, the wide receiver was second on the team in receptions, had three rushing touchdowns and returned two punts for scores in a single game against Bastrop.

With Moore contributing on offense, the Bulldogs wrapped up the first district championship in program history. Now, with he, quarterback Matt Dodds, running back Heath Hohmann and fellow receiver DeAndre Perry back, Bowie is the 6th-ranked Central Texas preseason high school football team, by the American-Statesman's vote.

Still, although the Bulldogs were the best team in District 25-5A last year, they weren't the best team in the Bowie hallways.

That honor went to the softball team, which advanced to the Class 5A state championship game in May.

Leading the way for the Lady Bulldogs was star pitcher Blaire Luna — Moore's girlfriend — who went 23-3 and was named Central Texas' player of the year.

Moore and Luna have been dating since the spring, and she hasn't let him forget which Bowie team made the school's first-ever appearance in a state championship game.

But, smack-talking aside, the Lady Bulldogs' playoff run has served as a motivational tool for the football team.

"It kind of inspired me to work a lot harder so I can get as much attention for the team as she got for her team," Moore said.

"It gives us something to look up to," Hohmann added. "If they can do it, we can do it."

Dodds echoed his teammates' sentiments, but quickly added that the Class 5A championship games, set to be played this year in Houston, are a long way away and the Bulldogs needed to focus on the opponents on their schedule — one that is set to be a lot tougher this year than the one Bowie played in 2007.

The Bulldogs will defend their district title in the new-look District 25-5A. Because of realignment, San Marcos and Seguin — a combined 7-14 in 2007 — are no longer in the district while Pflugerville and Connally now are. Pflugerville advanced to the Class 5A, Division II championship last season while Connally went 7-4 in Class 4A.

"Personally, I like (the schedule) because it strengthens our team," Dodds said. "Even if we don't win those games, those games prepare us for the playoffs because strong teams help you out in the playoffs."

The Bulldogs will be well-equipped on offense to make a run in the postseason.

In addition to Moore, Bowie returns Perry (42 catches for 611 yards and seven touchdowns) and Hohmann, who averaged 5.2 yards a carry in 2007 and also had 20 catches.

"These guys always make me look good," Dodds said. "These guys always get my back, especially my linemen. They don't get a bunch of credit, (but) they do an amazing job."

While Bowie returns a lot of talent on offense, the team still has a lot of holes to fill, especially on defense, where the Bulldogs lost eight starters.

They also will need to find a replacement for kicker Nick Grasshoff, who graduated and walked on at the University of Arkansas.

"Most of these guys, we've been around for three, four years," head coach Jeff Ables said. "You've seen them on the JV and freshman teams, so you think you know what they can do, but when they put on the pads on Friday, someone may surprise you. It's an opportunity for some of the new guys."

AAS link (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/highschool/08/12/0812prepfoot.html)

LH Panther Mom
08-12-2008, 10:02 PM
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL

Westlake's Swope set to lead Chaps back to playoff success
A&M-bound RB hopes to get No. 5 Chaps back in state title game
By Danny Davis

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

He'll be playing from a different side of the ball than two years ago, but this fall, Ryan Swope will look to lead Westlake High School to the same success the Chaparrals found in 2006.

Swope, Westlake's star tailback, is one of five seniors who logged playing time during the 2006 run to the Class 5A Division I state championship game. He started at defensive back late that season and remained a starter throughout the playoffs, which ended with a 43-29 loss to Southlake Carroll in the title game.

"It was a great run," Swope said. "Once you get that deep in the playoffs, you just want to keep on going. It's such a great feeling to achieve a goal, to reach a state title."

Now, Swope has emerged as a dynamic running back headed to Texas A&M who will serve as the anchor for the Chaparrals as Westlake — the No. 5-ranked Central Texas preseason high school football team, by the American-Statesman's vote — looks to improve upon a 7-4 season in 2007.

Swope, with two years of varsity experience and seven playoff starts already behind him, is a Westlake captain this fall who said he will lead both vocally and by example.

"There are different types of leaders," said Westlake coach Derek Long. "There are some guys that lead by example and there are some guys who are rah-rah, and it's good to have those guys who do both."

Swope, the reigning District 25-5A offensive MVP, rushed for 1,832 yards and 21 touchdowns last year, averaging 8.9 yards per carry and 22.7 yards per catch.

He'll surely be one of the district's best offensive players again, along with Austin High receiver Emory Blake, one of Swope's close friends .

"He's a good player, obviously really fast, and he's got strength and power," said Bowie coach Jeff Ables, who saw Swope rush for 149 yards against his Bulldogs in a 31-14 Bowie win last season.

"He's a good athlete and I don't think you ever stop a guy like that," Ables said. "You try to hold him down."

Swope's biggest weapon is his speed. He also stars in track and field — he finished fifth in the 100-meter dash at the state meet in May — and he's listed with a 40-meter dash time of 4.41 seconds.

The friendship between Swope and Blake goes back years, since they played on the same fifth grade basketball team. He said that he has enjoyed watching Blake — the state's 19th-ranked recruit in this year's Fabulous 55 — succeed and is looking forward to the Westlake-Austin High clash on Halloween night. The Maroons have won the last two matchups.

"I know it's a big rivalry, Austin High vs. Westlake, but we have fun with that game," Swope said. "We aren't dirty players or anything, but we like to just push each other."

While he has a friend in enemy territory, Swope has someone on his own roster who he's also very close to. His brother Louie is a junior starting defensive back for the Chaparrals.

"Not many brothers get to do that. I get to share this with him, and its really special to be out there on the field with him," Swope said. "This is probably the only time that we'll be able to play football together, so we're going to make the best of it and have fun with it."

AAS link (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/highschool/08/13/0813prepfoot.html)

LH Panther Mom
08-14-2008, 08:29 AM
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL

For Hurtado and Pflugerville, the ring's the thing
Panthers' lone returning offensive starter hoping to lead team back for another deep playoff run
By Bill Oram

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Thursday, August 14, 2008

PFLUGERVILLE — At 6 feet, 1 inch and 250 pounds, Luke Hurtado makes for an imposing figure. But in his years of lifting weights and working to get big and strong, never has he been as huge as he may be to the success of the Pflugerville Panthers this fall.

Hurtado, the Panthers' senior center, is the only returning offensive starter from a team that went 12-4 en route to the Class 5A Division II state championship game.

The Panthers will rely on many new faces — as well as on Hurtado's leadership — in their bid to replicate that 2007 success.

"He helped all the way to the state game," said senior quarterback Chris Mercado, one of three players vying for the starting position. "He knows what you gotta do to get there."

Pflugerville — the No. 4-ranked Central Texas preseason high school football team by the American-Statesman's vote — is moving into a new district this fall, leaving behind Williamson County rivals Leander, Round Rock, Westwood, McNeil and Georgetown to join Austin schools such as Bowie, Austin High and Westlake.

Given that flood of changes — Pflugerville also left Region II in favor of Region IV — coach George Herrmann said he wished his Panthers had fewer adjustments to make in terms of new personnel, though the defense does return eight starters, including University of Texas-bound end Alex Okafor.

"We have some experience from the reserves, but when you only have one starter coming back, I'm a little worried at this point," Herrmann said.

Hurtado, called a "straight-up guy who's gonna work hard" by Herrmann and the offense's "strongest weapon" by Mercado, said he feels the stress of being the offense's lone returning starter.

"Of course I'm going to feel pressure," he said. "Eyes are on me and other guys are going to look at me as far as being a leader."

Coming off a season marred by injuries, Hurtado is optimistic that he'll be healthy for his senior year. He played frequently in 2007 with a dislocated shoulder, often with his arm "just hanging there," playing through constant pain and making trips to the sideline to pop the joint back into place.

"After the first few times it happened, it was so stretched out and so loose you could just shove it back in," Hurtado said gamely.

Like many high school football players, Hurtado lives his team's successes. An upstairs room in his family's home is decked out in Pflugerville blue, the walls plastered with collages, photos and other memorabilia from past Panthers games — all prominently featuring the stout Hurtado in his crisp No. 53 uniform.

On his right hand, Hurtado wears his state finalists' ring. When he talks, he plays with it, twisting the ring and sliding it up and down his finger, as if trying to draw inspiration from the reminder of how it felt to fall just short of a state championship a year ago.

He said the piece of jewelry — white gold and big enough to be a napkin ring — has been a daily accessory of his since the 28-7 loss to Katy. Hurtado said he'll wear the ring a while longer, maybe through the end of the season, at which point he hopes to have a new one to take its place.

"I plan on getting one without the finalist on it this year, though," he said.

AAS link (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/highschool/08/14/0814prepfoot.html)

gold_33
08-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

The Texans will get an infusion of youth from freshman running back Dennis Smith, the ringleader of his eighth-grade team at Wimberley Junior High. Smith is the first freshman to earn a starting berth on varsity during Nelms' eight years in Wimberley.
[/B]

This kid is the real deal. 6'2 205 as freshman and will make an impact immediately, could potentially be the best running back to come through Wimberley.

LH Panther Mom
08-14-2008, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by gold_33
This kid is the real deal. 6'2 205 as freshman and will make an impact immediately, could potentially be the best running back to come through Wimberley.
Tell me about it! My soon-to-be freshman has played against him. :helpme:

gold_33
08-14-2008, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Tell me about it! My soon-to-be freshman has played against him. :helpme:

Yeah he lucked out and didn't get to play against him last year but he's back and looks awesome this year. We'll have alot of underclassmen playing on varsity this year so how they develop will determine our season but we will be solid for the next two to three years cause the soph and fresh classes have some studs. Gives hope for the future none the less.

LH Panther Mom
08-15-2008, 05:36 AM
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL

Liberty Hill's win streaks: 24 games, 2 state titles
Panthers carrying state's second-longest active winning streak into 2008 season
By Bill Oram

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Friday, August 15, 2008

LIBERTY HILL — If you listen to head coach Jerry Vance and his Liberty Hill Panthers, you might not realize that the team's 24-game winning streak and back-to-back state championships are a big deal.

"We don't really worry about the streak. It just falls as it should," said defensive tackle Thomas Stites.

"It's better to just not worry about it and be relaxed and just play," added quarterback Blake Thompson.

Whether the players have truly bought into it or are just saying the right things, Vance has his team echoing his philosophy.

"Those winning streaks, they don't win football games," Vance said.

Liberty Hill — the No. 3-ranked Central Texas preseason high school football team by the American-Statesman's vote — last lost a game Sept. 29, 2006, on the road against then-defending state champion Wimberley.

Since then, the Panthers have outscored opponents by 694 points, or an average of 29 points per game, and have won two state titles.

Despite the dominant way his team has cruised through the past two seasons, Vance said Liberty Hill's success is a reason to keep working hard.

"We tell our kids, and preach to them, (that) climbing the mountain of success is easy, but staying up there is tough," Vance said. "The sides are slippery and everybody's shooting at you."

Liberty Hill's streak is the state's second-longest active streak heading into this season, behind only Class A Alto, which has won 28 in a row.

The second game of the streak came in an upset over Hutto, which was ranked ninth in the state at the time. That season's bi-district playoff victory came in the same week as the Liberty Hill campus dealt with the death of a fellow student. The eighth win was a memorable state quarterfinals victory over Central Texas rival Giddings. The 10th win — 22-19 against Celina in the 2006 championship game — came via a last-second field goal from a kicker attempting his first kick of the entire season.

That Dec. 23, 2006, game snapped Celina's 31-game winning streak; had the Bobcats not lost that game, they would be carrying a 47-game streak of their own heading into this season.

Among the streak's 2007 highlights were payback wins over Cuero and Wimberley, and a heroic state quarterfinals effort from former running back Dustin Gonzales, who overcame flu symptoms to rush for 256 yards and five touchdowns in the first half alone.

Weldon Nelms, who led Wimberley to a 15-0 state championship season in 2005, knows a little something about winning streaks. His Texans won 27 of 28 games in the 2005-06 seasons, and said it's difficult to win so consistently.

"It's just the law of averages," Nelms said. "Thinking about every week you've got to stay up, you've got to worry about injuries, you've got to worry about a kid's girlfriend, all the other variables that come into play. You've got total respect for that, because on any Friday night, you've got a 50-50 chance that you'll win or lose."

This fall, Liberty Hill will vie for the District 8-3A title along with Wimberley. Their Oct. 27 showdown at Texan Stadium could well determine the district championship — and possibly decide whether the Panthers notch 33 straight wins.

If that streak gets snapped, it won't mean much if it doesn't keep Liberty Hill from the playoffs. Once the postseason starts, that next loss is also the last.

AAS link (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/highschool/08/15//0815prepfoot.html)

ILS1
08-17-2008, 09:31 AM
ROUND ROCK — Coming off a season when it was one of the biggest surprises in the state, things are looking good at Stony Point.

After suffering through a 12-58 record over its first seven seasons of varsity football, Stony Point — picked to finish last in District 14-5A last summer — went 9-3, winning its first district championship, earning its first playoff game and winning the first postseason game in school history.

Now, Stony Point — once an afterthought in the Central Texas football scene — enters the 2008 season as the area's No. 2-ranked high school football team by the American-Statesman's vote.

The Tigers, who will have to replace two key cogs from last year's team — Seth Patterson, the leading receiver, and Ryan Nunn, the leading rusher — still have a talented roster that includes Baylor-bound receiver Glasco Martin, cornerback Julian Dozier and All-District quarterback Nyk Mckissic, who earned second-team honors on the All-Central Texas Team.

But how well Stony Point follows up its 2007 breakout season will depend on five players who largely are unknown.

Seniors Jesus Garza, Nate Broughton, Doug Kohn and Howard Thrasher, and junior Trenton Davis are the projected starters for the offensive line. Though they are all upperclassmen, the group is inexperienced — Garza is the only returning starter.

But the line does have the support of the player who will be affected most by the way it plays.

"I'm confident (in them)," Mckissic said. "They've made some strides during the offseason, learning our offense and getting stronger and getting prepared for the season."

Leading the way will be Garza, a left guard who started last year and played some as a sophomore. This year's situation is similar to the one he faced last year when he entered the starting lineup, he said.

"It was the same last year. We had little experience on the offensive line, but everyone here is willing to step up for the good of the team," he said.

The linemen already were familiar with each other, but that didn't stop them from spending a lot of time together this summer. The group worked out together, watched game films and hung out.

With a combined weight of more than 1,250 pounds, the big boys also spent plenty of time bonding over food. They met often for trips to CiCi's Pizza and participated in team dinners.

"If you take us all somewhere, we can wreck a buffet," Broughton said.

The offensive line is not the place to be for attention-seekers. The names of linemen are rarely called on the stadium loudspeakers, and the only time they really get noticed by fans is when they blow a blocking assignment or get flagged for a penalty.

The players acknowledge the lack of glamour but say they enjoy being in the trenches. They also point out that the success of their teammates reflects positively on them.

"I love the job. It's very physical," Davis said. "If you do good, they'll also look at you ... and you'll get your opportunities to shine at your position."

While they don't get much glory, the offensive linemen understand their importance. Stony Point averaged 36.3 points a game in 2007 behind a balanced offense that saw Nunn, Mckissic and Stephen Williams, now a sophomore, combine for nearly 2,600 rushing yards, while Mckissic threw for another 2,087 yards.

Simply put, if the Tigers' offensive live doesn't do its job, those numbers are likely to go down.

"It almost puts the spotlight more on (us) to get the job done, but then at the same time it also motivates you to get it done," Broughton said. "We may have all that talent, but if we don't execute, we're going to fall into mediocrity."

danieldavis@statesman.com

2. Stony Point Tigers

Team motto: Not available

Last year: 9-3Past five years: 16-36 (.307)

2007: Offense — 36.3 ppg; Defense — 24.6 ppg

Hello: QB Nyk Mckissic, WR Austin Caswell

Goodbye: RB Ryan Nunn (Navarro JC), WR Seth Patterson (Western Michigan)

Why the Tigers are No. 2: The best season in school history — 9 wins in 2007 after just 12 in the first seven years — has brought big hopes.

Tigers schedule

Date Opp. '07 res.

Aug. 28 Alamo Heights DNP

The Mules are expected to be highly ranked in the Class 4A preseason state poll later this month

Sept. 5 at Connally DNP

The usually tough Cougars are in their first season as a Class 5A program, playing in District 25-5A

Sept. 12 at Waco DNP

The rebuilding Lions still are the favorites to win 16-4A and may be the Tigers' toughest non-district foe

Sept. 26 at Westwood* W, 21-17

The high-scoring Warriors, with QB Tyler Grabarkewitz back, will be a defensive challenge

Oct. 3 at Leander* W, 17-10

With Pflugerville now in 25-5A, this early October game may end up deciding who wins 16-5A

Oct. 10 Georgetown* W, 48-38

The Eagles graduated a lot of talent from last year's team that went 6-4

Oct. 17 at McNeil* W, 35-31

The Mavericks are expected to field one of District 16-5A's toughest defensive units

Oct. 24 Cedar Park* L, 49-21

The Timberwolves handed Stony Point its lone district loss last year, so the Tigers will want revenge

Oct. 31 at Vista Ridge* DNP

The Rangers are making their move up from Class 4A and are picked to finish near the bottom of 16-5A

Nov. 7 at Round Rock* W, 33-15

The Dragons have played the rest of their district tough in recent years

*District 16-5A game

AAS Link (www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/highschool/08/16/0816prepfoot.html)

ILS1
08-17-2008, 09:33 AM
Fast and furious: Morris brings impressive offensive system to defending 4A champion Lake Travis
Coach plans to keep star Gilbert, rest of team moving and winning.
By Rick Cantu
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Sunday, August 17, 2008

LAKEWAY — The pace of Stephenville football was so fast and furious, radio play-by-play announcer Boots Elliott was exhausted after calling Yellow Jackets games.

Stephenville teams, coached by Chad Morris for the past five seasons, employed a no-huddle, hurry-up offense, a ploy designed to confuse and wear out opposing teams. Hustling to the line of scrimmage with the urgency of New York cabdrivers, the Yellow Jackets were ready to roll as soon as the official blew his whistle.

"We ran our two-minute offense the entire game in Stephenville," said Morris, who left the Yellow Jackets this spring for Lake Travis, the defending Class 4A Division II state champions and the No. 1-ranked Central Texas preseason high school football team by the American-Statesman's vote.

Heading into the 2008 season, his Cavaliers appear to have enough returning headliners — two University of Texas-bound seniors in record-breaking quarterback Garrett Gilbert and solid offensive tackle Paden Kelly, along with last year's leading rusher — to make another serious bid for a state title.

Coupled with Morris' high-speed offensive approach, Lake Travis' talent pool could be matched by its entertainment value.

Just ask Elliott.

"I've gotten so accustomed to calling the no-huddle, hurry-up spread offense, it would seem slow and mundane to call any other style," Elliott said.

Morris, taking over for Jeff Dicus, who went 45-15 in his five years before leaving for Class 5A DeSoto, began utilizing the no-huddle offense in 2004, the year after the Yellow Jackets finished a disappointing 6-4 in Morris' first season at Stephenville.

That 2003 team was the first Stephenville team to miss the playoffs in 15 years.

"It was the lowest point of my career," Morris said. "On the flip side, it might have been the best thing for my career."

A disciple of offensive innovator Art Briles, Morris recalled his decision to implement the system as "cutting-edge." Looking to gain a conditioning advantage over their opponents, the Yellow Jackets got their sting back when they increased their tempo to a breakneck pace.

An average high school football team that utilizes a traditional huddle will run roughly 55 plays a game, Morris estimated. Using the no-huddle hurry-up offense, Stephenville averaged 77 plays a game, including an astounding 99 plays in one overtime playoff loss to Wichita Falls Rider.

So when Morris introduced the offense to Lake Travis players in the spring, some were stunned by how much energy it takes to run it effectively.

Cade McCrary, Lake Travis' top returning receiver, admitted that he was "too arrogant" at first to believe his coach's claim that the offense would be physically challenging.

"He wasn't kidding," McCrary said. "I remember running play after play after play in the first practice. After I got home, I went to bed and slept half the day."

Gilbert, who committed to the Longhorns two days after the announcement of Morris' hiring, is among many Cavaliers to endorse the new Lake Travis offense. If nothing else, the Cavaliers should at least be in better physical condition than their opponents, which could give them an edge in the fourth quarter.

"In our offense last year, we might have five seconds left on the clock when we'd run a play," right guard Dusty Williams said. "This year, we probably won't even use five seconds before we run the next play."

Morris said the offense looks similar to what Peyton Manning orchestrates with the Indianapolis Colts. Gilbert will bark out plays while standing in a shotgun formation. Three assistant coaches — two of whom will be decoys — will signal plays from the sideline.

Lake Travis' key to another state championship is Gilbert, who set three single-season state records last year for attempts (556), completions (360) and passing yards (4,827), the last two marks eclipsing records set by former Ennis star Graham Harrell.

Gilbert, who threw for 52 touchdowns, played most of the season with a torn labrum, which required off-season surgery. He missed spring practice and continued his rehabilitation into the summer.

Despite a slow recovery, he has thrown a football without pain this month and is expected to be at full strength when the Cavaliers open the season against Westwood on Aug. 29 at the Texas Football Classic at the Alamodome.

Lake Travis, however, will have to adjust to losing one of its top receivers from last year's team. Cohl Walla, who had 68 catches for 1,072 yards and 13 touchdowns, has decided to skip football to focus on baseball this year.

McCrary, who had 48 catches for 818 yards last year, is expected to be Gilbert's chief target. Depth will come from returning wideout Taylor Wrinkle and from Andy Erickson, a speedy safety last year who will be featured as a multi-dimensional offensive threat this fall.

When the Cavaliers run the ball, tailback Chris Aydam (1,491 yards, 20 touchdowns) will get the call.

To utilize his athletic ability, second-team quarterback Michael Brewer is working at free safety. Defensive leadership will be provided by linebacker Harry Hatch (79 tackles), defensive end Ryan Erxleben (40 tackles), strong safety Ian Lazarus (45 tackles) and cornerback Marcus Pate (4 interceptions).

The Cavaliers are expected to be Class 4A's No. 1-ranked team when the state preseason poll is released next Sunday.

"Anything less (than another state title) would be a disappointment," said McCrary, a sentiment shared by many Lake Travis coaches and players.

Fans feel it, too. Heading into this weekend, the school had sold 1,041 season ticket packages for a stadium that seats 6,500. Winning will do that.

rcantu@statesman.com; 445-3953

Chad Morris' life and career at a glance

Record: 135-25 (.844) in 14 seasons

Previous coaching stops: Stephenville (2003-07), Bay City (2000-02), Elysian Fields (1998-99), Clyde Eustace (1992-97)

Accomplishments: Morris has led teams to four state championship games. He twice coached teams to back-to-back state finals, winning a Class 4A championship with Bay City in 2000 and taking Elysian Fields to consecutive 2A finals in 1998 and 1999.

Background: Morris, a Texas A&M graduate, and his wife Paula have two children — McKenzie (11) and Chandler (7).

Morris' big numbers from Stephenville High School

Year Avg. ppg W-LNote

2003 22.2 6-4 School's first non-playoff season in 15 years

2004 36.8 10-1 QB Jevan Snead: 3,025 yards, 29 TDs

2005 43.7 13-1 Reached the 4A Division I semifinals

2006 37.5 10-2 QB Kody Spano: 2,877 yards, 31 TDs

2007 41.6 10-2 Third playoff loss to W.F. Rider in 5 years

1. Lake Travis Cavaliers

Team motto: New Season. Same Reason.

Last year: 15-1, 4A Div. I champions

Past five years: 45-15 (.750)

2007: Offense — 38.0 ppg; Defense — 21.8 ppg

Hello: Head coach Chad Morris (Stephenville), QB Garrett Gilbert, RB Chris Aydam, WR Cade McCrary, OL Paden Kelley

Goodbye: Head coach Jeff Dicus (DeSoto), WR Jason Bird, WR Cohl Walla

Why the Cavaliers are No. 1: Gilbert — a Texas commitment — lost big weapons in Bird and Walla, but a long playoff run (and another title) are quite possible.

Cavaliers schedule

Date Opp. '07 res.

Aug. 29 Westwood W, 18-10

Thanks to the playoffs, the Alamodome is the Cavs' home away from home

Sept. 5 at Westlake L, 28-21

This was the lone loss in '07; Westlake is 2-0 vs. the Cavs the past two years

Sept. 12 Cedar Park DNP

The Timberwolves will be the Cavaliers' third straight Class 5A opponent

Sept. 19 Evangel (La.) DNP

An interesting matchup; Evangel has won 11 state titles in Louisiana

Sept. 26 Killeen* DNP

The talented 'Roos could be the Cavs' biggest District 25-4A hurdle

Oct. 3 at Hutto* DNP

The rebuilding — or is it reloading? — Hippos are moving up from Class 3A

Oct. 10 Lampasas* W, 58-14

The Cavs should coast here; the Badgers are coming off a winless season

Oct. 17 at Hendrickson* W, 33-13

The Hawks should throw one of the district's top defenses at Gilbert

Oct. 31 Dripping Springs* W, 34-24

The Tigers hung close for three quarters in '07 before the Cavs pulled away

Nov. 7 at Marble Falls* W, 49-20

'Stangs QB Thor Woerner could be the district's top QB not named Gilbert

*District 25-4A game

AAS Link (www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/highschool/08/17/0817prepfoot.html)