PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer 2adays

easttexas3a
08-08-2008, 03:17 AM
Was able to drive to Gilmer right after work to check them out a little bit. Darian Godfrey looks every bit as good as he was last year, will only improve as the season goes on, could be one of the best QB's in Texas by the time he is a senior. There is probably 4-5 running backs that looked real good, Jeremy Jackson maybe being the leader, he is a speed back that had some flashes last year, and then 3 or 4 guys behind him that all look like they can play. I don't think replacing Justin Johnson will be as hard as some might think. The receivers are not as good as last year, not yet for sure, but it's pretty hard to replace 2 division 1 wide outs. However the WR they have are very athletic, they looked like typical Gilmer wr core, kids in the slots between 5'8 to 5'10 with good speed, and then bigger taller guys on the outside with good hands. There is one kid, and I was told he is a Junior that is about 6'4 or 6'5 and if he gets a little meat on him he will be real special in the red zone area. The line of course has downgraded, and looks like to be the hardest hit part of the team from last years state team. There are some big guys at tackle, one is about 6'4 240 and the other probably 6'3 250 or so. Center are all very small, maybe 6' 180 the biggest one. The guards all looked to be decent sized linemen, u know the typical 5'10 230-260 linemen u might see on most lines in 3a. It's just kind of a shock after these last 2 years.......last year gilmer went 6'2 260, 6' 250, 6' 210, 6'5 305,6'4 300 on the line.

The defense looks to be very good this year. The linebacking core looks like they replaced what was one of the better lineback cores gilmer has had last year. Vance Green is a name to remember, he is a junior and really flew around in practice. The D-line will be good, have a big Dline, Dakota Hagler who is about 6' 300 will be one of the better d linemen in the area. The secondary looks a lil weak, they are depleted after losing some guys from last years team there.

Probally the most important thing I noticed though, Devane Clark who would have been a senior this year, and was a 2 way starter last year at WR and CB is not at 2adays. I heard people say he moved, I heard other things, but for whatever reason he is not there. With him Gilmer has a playmaking slot receiver and has one corner they could heavily rely on. Without him they are kinda weak in the secondary and are missing a big play receiver.

I will be going to there scrimmage against atlanta as I have already taken off work to go to it, will report on what they look like in that game.

waterboy
08-08-2008, 07:47 AM
I hate to hear about Devane Clark being gone. That's a real blow. I know the new O-line has some big shoes to fill but I think they'll do just fine. They'll be a little smaller but that'll translate into being quicker IMO. As you mentioned, the biggest question mark is the defensive secondary. Are they gonna be able to step up and stop people, or are they gonna get burned on a regular basis? I think this season hinges on how well the defense plays. The defense made strides in the right direction last year, and hopefully will continue to improve. Please keep us informed!:thumbsup: