PDA

View Full Version : One of the Worst Cheaters in Sports?

Phil C
08-07-2008, 11:50 AM
Remember this is allegedly though. But it is not in any pro college or high school sports. It is in of all things Little League baseball which is supposed to be for the kids and run in an honest way.
In 1997 Japan caught Taiwan using ineligible players and Taiwan didn't participate in the Little League championships again until 2003 and they haven't done too good since. In the Little League finals 8 teams play each other from foreign countries and 8 US teams play each other and the two final ones meet in the world little league championship.
This could be worse cheating than in the Tour de France with drugs so hang onto your hats if you want to read farther!

The question was did Tiawan cheat in earlier years. Even some of the former players have admitted to using other kids ids and this in itself is incriminating.
From 1969 to 1974 Taiwan won 5 out of 6 championships and many of the games were very one sided scores. This brought some suspicion but the officials took no action until Japan caught Taiwan in 1996 and since then they have gotten stricter thank goodness.
Taiwan won 17 out of 27 world championships and were runner ups in 4 of those years. It is rumored that they have used overage players, players from all over the country and practiced all year long which are against the rules. Also since Taiwan has not advaced to the finals since 1996 indicates they are not cheating but also casts suspicion that they were all th ose years.

I don't like to be critical of Taiwan but the circumstancial evidence as well as factual evidence seems to indicate terrible cheating and what is worse it was an injustice to kids all over the world as well as the USA. Remember USA teams lost to them 17 times so this probably no doubt coast USA some championships. It also probably cost teams of other countries some championships since Taiwan beat them and was the one to advance to the finals instead of a team that abided by the rules. This shows dynasties must be checked out carefully.

This is a dark chapter in sports history and even though the Tour de France and other sports have suffered from cheating this one involved injustices done against other teams and fans and countries and worse yet against young kids. A shame indeed.

Phil C
08-07-2008, 11:53 AM
I still look over the little league world series in boys' baseball wins and when I see the teams Taiwan beat such as Spring, Texas, Cranston RI, San Ramon Valley, CA, Altamonte Springs, FL, etc. I wonder how many of them were cheated out of a championship. I also wonder how many of the other world teams would have been playing instead of Taiwan would have been champions and/or were cheated out of their shots. :(

injuredinmelee
08-07-2008, 11:54 AM
dont the other countries make up their team from the entire nation while we use kids from individual cities and towns?

Phil C
08-07-2008, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
dont the other countries make up their team from the entire nation while we use kids from individual cities and towns?

They aren't supposed to. I hope not injuredinmelee. That is a good question that deserves an answer.