PDA

View Full Version : Wimberley Field

wimbo_pro
08-06-2008, 12:23 PM
I went by and checked the field out this morning...all the heavy equipment is still on it, and the surface has been totally covered with some material (I didnt get out of the car!). I was told by one football player that they need to get it watered down (?) and were hoping for rain! I have no idea if this is accurate, maybe Gold_33 knows more.

Anyways, they are practicing on the baseball field, with hopes of having the field ready for our first home game in early September.

Daddy D 11
08-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
I went by and checked the field out this morning...all the heavy equipment is still on it, and the surface has been totally covered with some material (I didnt get out of the car!). I was told by one football player that they need to get it watered down (?) and were hoping for rain! I have no idea if this is accurate, maybe Gold_33 knows more.

Anyways, they are practicing on the baseball field, with hopes of having the field ready for our first home game in early September.

wow, thats unfortunate for the football players and the baseball field. That sucker is going to be torn up:eek:

wimbo_pro
08-07-2008, 03:18 PM
I was just told by someone who seems to be "in the know" that the new field will be ready for use before the end of August, possibly closer to mid-August. We shall see, right?

ronwx5x
08-07-2008, 03:22 PM
I was just told by someone who seems to be "in the know" that the new field will be ready for use before the end of August, possibly closer to mid-August. We shall see, right?

Mid August is one week from today.

TexDad
08-07-2008, 04:31 PM
I talked to Nelms last week and he is hoping it will be ready for the scrimmage on the 23rd. Went by yesterday and they haven't even started laying the turf yet. Lots of work yet to be done.

wimbo_pro
08-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Mid August is one week from today.

Mid-August (to me) can be considered anywhere from the 10th to the 20th, at least thats how I see the "early-mid-late month" thingy. What would you consider mid-month?

Btw...the 23rd is pushing to late-August, i would agree.

blowfish
08-07-2008, 07:36 PM
TexDad - if the turf isnt down yet they are pushing it pretty close. For a frame of reference you can go here http://www.abilenewyliebulldogs.com/stadium_construction.htm

check the date on the photos to see how long it took the guys to finish our field. I can tell you these guys were putting in 12 hour days at the end. the last week they would start at sundown and finish around sun up.

ILS1
08-07-2008, 09:40 PM

Just to refresh everyone's memory. How did Wimberley go about paying for all this? If I remember correctly the taxpayers didn't wanna pay for it. Did someone donate a huge sum? Just curious??

:D :D

gold_33
08-08-2008, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by ILS1
Just to refresh everyone's memory. How did Wimberley go about paying for all this? If I remember correctly the taxpayers didn't wanna pay for it. Did someone donate a huge sum? Just curious??
:D :D

I believe it was outside donors from what i've heard. The people putting in the turf have 2 crews working on it and being that we've already had turf before it's not supposed to take as long as if we were starting from scratch. I'd say maybe 2-3 weeks from being completed at the most but in time for the first home game.

wimbo_pro
08-08-2008, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by gold_33
I believe it was outside donors from what i've heard.

I am not so sure, Gold. I remember reading something about using funds presently in a maintenance budget, then replenishing those funds from somewhere else in the next few months...I forget now. It was in the paper a few weeks ago...I'll see if i can find it.

TexDad
08-08-2008, 08:21 AM
From what I understand, a committee was formed to raise money for half of the amount and the rest would come from the school district, but I could be wrong.

bulldog64
08-08-2008, 10:41 AM
It`s gonna look like that Monday Night Football game last year of The Fins vs. The Steelers. The one where the punt "stuck" the landing.

scrub c
08-09-2008, 10:17 PM
They gonna put anything in the endzones or at midfield? Seems like I watched them play Devine a couple of years ago and I remember thinking to myself... why dont they have anything on the field. Or did they???

wimbo_pro
08-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by scrub c
They gonna put anything in the endzones or at midfield? Seems like I watched them play Devine a couple of years ago and I remember thinking to myself... why dont they have anything on the field. Or did they???

We did...but they had faded.